PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Hornet Moth incident report

JammedStab
28th Apr 2018, 03:44
From what I have heard, not an easy aircraft to handle on the ground. Don't know if this one had a lockable tailwheel on it.

Paved runway, gusting crosswind quite possibly stronger than forecast. Are there better alternatives nearby? These things just don't handle well under all these circumstances.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/59aff489ed915d033a9fa81a/DH87B_Hornet_Moth_G-AESE_09-17.pdf

video from happier days...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH3BgtC3zAU

India Four Two
28th Apr 2018, 06:03
Yes, the Hornet Moth has a reputation:

https://haa-uk.aero/document/the-de-havilland-hornet-moth/

Thud105
29th Apr 2018, 11:02
If the wind is from 300 and you're landing on 23 surely its coming from the right?

clunckdriver
1st May 2018, 21:05
Yes, the DH Hornet Moth can be a real "Bear "in conditions such as this, I have made myself a bit unpopular on occasions when I have declined to fly at airshows and "fly ins" when others are choosing to fly, so far have been lucky but if there is a grass surface available that's my first choice, and yes a tail wheel lock is worth fitting! its a very strange flying machine in high winds on a paved surface. The situation is made worse by the lack of a right hand throttle on most models, a failing we intend to fix this year.

David Charlwood
2nd May 2018, 00:46
Piece of Cake if you have been taught to fly on tailwheel aeroplanes like Tiger Moths.

clunckdriver
2nd May 2018, 12:13
Piece of cake? Would you please be kind enough to tell that to the insurance underwriters ? It seems that they are overcharging for DH 87 coverage, and by the way I trained on Tigers and have flown some very "nasty" tail wheel aircraft,{ see my Public Profile} but the Hornet is a very different aircraft, do you own and fly one? If so maybe you could let the rest of us into your secrets? If you get to Canada we could pop you into one {there is only one flying in Canada by the way} but don't forget to bring you full coverage insurance policy, the Tiger Moth is a joy to fly when compared to the Hornet Moth. I think a read of the handling notes written by the Moth club gives the best thing to read before you fly one, we will all be watching! We all look forward to your demonstration!

CloudHound
3rd May 2018, 20:49
I'll pay a C$1 to watch that. Though my Stinson HW-75 is somewhat tail waggy in a x-wind too!

clunckdriver
8th May 2018, 14:49
If any DH 87B owners have the time to photograph the left rudder pedal set up with particular emphasis on the connection between the actual hook up from the rod from the ratchet on the bottom of the rod to the connection to the pedals, I will be permanently in your dept.! On EEJ I think we have all the parts but cant locate any diagrams or descriptions of the set up, Thanking you all in advance! Regards'/L

Centaurus
20th May 2018, 13:52
This crosswind caused the aircraft to veer to the left, which was corrected, but then theaircraft veered to the right. The pilot reported applying full opposite rudder and braking but the turn developed into a ground loop, after which the aircraft came to a halt with the left landing gear collapsed. Both occupants were wearing full harnesses and escaped uninjured. The year was 1957. I was a RAAF QFI at the time instructing on Lincolns at Darwin in Australia when the local aero club asked me to check out some of their members on the club Hornet Moth. It had pointed wing tips.

I was given a few circuits to familiarise myself with the aircraft then started to train club members. I noticed it was very touchy on the rudder once the tail was lowered. With only 45 minutes on type I was to learn the hard way. One club member needed refresher circuits. The blind leading the blind as it turned out. In those days Darwin runway was 10,000 feet long and 45 metres wide to cater for large overseas aircraft like the Douglas Globemaster, Avro Vulcans, Super Connies and their ilk. My 50 year old student kept landing well to the left of the centreline during touch and go landings. In exasperation, as he again touched down well left, I said he really must aim for the centreline next time. He said sorry and while rolling down the runway seconds after touch down, he promptly applied right rudder to head for the centre line. He lost control and we did a huge ground loop. The brake lever and throttle (?) were on his left door if I recall, and there was SFA I could do to reach it to prevent the ground loop, except to turn off the ignition switch which I recall was behind my seat. The only damage was to the fabric of the right lower main plane wing tip. I recall feeling quite helpless once the ground loop started as I knew there was nothing I could do with no controls on my side. That said, I must admit it was a gentle and graceful ground loop which was through around 360 degrees and we finally stopped without damage other than torn fabric. .

clunckdriver
21st May 2018, 19:40
Centuras, you are one very lucky pilot to escape more severe damage, I have very few spares on stock, they all came from the remains of some very bent Hornets, the fact that your particular aircraft still had the unmodified tapered wings made the aircraft even more "twitchy" should one have a wing drop in the flare, the aircraft is much nicer handling landing on the grass!