PDA

View Full Version : Who owns the 'Associations and Federations' +

SpringHeeledJack
27th Apr 2018, 18:46
I was wondering (again) following the news that the Football Association in the UK might sell off Wembley to a private (and foreign) investor, a thought that has nagged at the back of my mind over the years, namely who actually owns these associations and federations that control various sports played the world over ? They were all started to provide a structure for sporting competitions and are, or at least were financed by membership fees of both individuals and clubs, for the most part amateur. Owned by everyone as it were, yet many have morphed into malignant regimes that rule over the members whilst keeping the spoils within their firewalled grasp. It seems to me that they should be non-profit and altruistic, nurturing the sport they coordinate, yet that somehow seems not to be the case.

Sallyann1234
27th Apr 2018, 21:47
If you want to sort that out, you should start with the biggest scam of all - the Olympics.

G-CPTN
27th Apr 2018, 21:55
many have morphed into malignant regimes that rule over the members whilst keeping the spoils within their firewalled grasp. It seems to me that they should be non-profit and altruistic, nurturing the sport they coordinate, yet that somehow seems not to be the case.
Look at what Bernie Ecclestone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Ecclestone#Formula_One_executive) did for Formula One (and, ultimately, himself).

Agreed he introduced organisation by adopting collective bargaining to raise fees from the media and make the (previously amateur) sport professional.

ExXB
28th Apr 2018, 07:50
FIFA is owned by UEFA, and the other regional football associationsl. UEFA is owned by the national associations including the Football Association. The Football Association is owned by it’s professional team members.

Gault
28th Apr 2018, 15:55
Using the BMAA as an example (sorry for the aviation content) I would say it's largely owned by and run for the blokes with the correct old club ties that get to appoint whatever cronies are their mates to positions of influence
One bloke seems to wander in out the chairmans position whenever he as at a loose end or can't find a better job offer

G-CPTN
28th Apr 2018, 18:27
You have to consider organisations which only 'organise' members (probably in return for subscriptions), and those who have acquired assets (such as buildings).
What happens to those assets in the event of liquidation?

Some 'clubs' belong to their members - and they would receive a share of the assets should the club cease to exist, but other 'organisations' effectively belong to the directors - who are entitled to sell their interest should they choose to leave.
I don't know whether their family would receive compensation when they die.

SpringHeeledJack
28th Apr 2018, 20:20
The large federations, associations, societies, committees, and clubs have over the years gathered moss as they've rolled down the hill of time, namely assets and cash surpluses from members to become very rich indeed. Some like the aforementioned OC are almost a de facto government such is the draconian grasp on any 'lucky' host country that elects to be drained of large sums of money.....Others, such as the den of corruption once controlled by mr blatter seem to take much more than they give back to their members. Clubs that make three figure millions per year from events they organise yet it seems not to filter down to the grass roots, only aggrandising the former, whilst starving the latter. As said above, many are conduits to benefit the directors with little oversight from anyone. Should there ever be a liquidation of any of these it would be both interesting and baffling as to whom assets would revert to.

On a small scale an old-boys rugby club nearby that came from a secondary school had some land gifted by the council where a clubhouse was built and games and social life enjoyed for many years by old boys of the school and their families. There was a small committee that changed over the years as people got too old/moved away etc, but as is the way, a core group drifted away and slowly there wasn't much of a membership. The school ceased to exist (unrelated) leaving an unused club with land and property supposedly belonging to all the members of the old-boys. Because it was deserted and almost forgotten it was liquidated to the benefit of the last two members (unpaid) of the committee and the amount was apparently rather large.