PDA

View Full Version : FAA Medicals

Speedbird20
23rd Jul 2002, 20:12
Ok my problem is that I cannot satisfy a JAA Class 1 Medical due to my eyesight being just out of limits, by just out of limits I mean by .50 dioptres. So being the determined wannabe that I am and only being 17 therefore having lots of years ahead of me. Is there a way around this, can I do an FAA medical and fly in the states, or can I have refractive eye surgery, or are the CAA flexible??? Can someone please help me I have my self all worried at the moment!!! An d I have A-levels to do in September, and this is going to worry me!:confused:

mattpilot
23rd Jul 2002, 21:07
Here in the US your eyes can be as bad as they want to be, as long as they are correctable to 20/20. Though, some airlines, united is the only one i know, wont hire you if your uncorrected vision isn't 20/100 or better. What that in diops is i have no clue, but i have 2.5 and i can't read a 20/100 chart, or barely (if i squint).

advancing_blade
25th Jul 2002, 14:07
Canadian class 1 requires 6/9, as opposed to the JAR 6/8
if that helps

Hew Jampton
25th Jul 2002, 16:01
can I do an FAA medical and fly in the states Beware of spending any money on this route unless you know exactly what you are going to do. If you are not a US citizen it's next to impossible to work there, and if you are a Brit with a US license, the same will apply to working in Europe. Talk to the UK CAA Aeromedical Department or any UK Aviation Medical Examiner first, the JAA eyesight limits are supposed to be changing.

Speedbird20
25th Jul 2002, 18:14
Thanks Hew, that has given me a bit of hope, its just that I've allways wanted to fly ever since I was 4 and I wouldent mind if I was declined becasue I wasent good at maths or something, but to get knocked back becasue of my eyes is a bit annoying.
Cheers

SAS-A321
2nd Aug 2002, 18:44
I would suggest that you go to the US and get an FAA license like I am going to do. With an FAA license you can fly in almost every CAA countries.

JAA Class 1 eyesight requirements have justed been lowered to -5.00 dioptries, so don't think that there will be any changes in the next couple of years.
Before it was +-3.00, but here in Denmark you could ask for a exemption to +-5.00, so maybe you can ask for a exemption to go higher than +-5.00. I don't know if it's only in Denmark you can ask for exemption.

Regarding surgery ypur eyes will have to be within the limits, so forget it. You are also not allowed to fly in ½ year.
Waste of money and time.:o

Bye the way......I hate JAR due to the redicules eye rules. No need for them! :mad: