PDA

View Full Version : “There’s something in the air in Salisbury”

BehindBlueEyes
26th Apr 2018, 19:46
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-43911747

The chief constable of Wiltshire has told people to “behave”!

This sounds more like a scene from Hot Fuzz. I have this image of the local bobbies chasing this naked couple over pastures and woodland.

Friends of mine that live in Salisbury said the most exciting things that happened there until this Spring were the occasional bicycle being nicked or a cow escaping through an open gate.

It’s so wonderfully British to be “invited to an interview” by the police, especially after what these two have been caught doing. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-43911747)

Gertrude the Wombat
26th Apr 2018, 22:16
Friends of mine that live in Salisbury said the most exciting things that happened there until this Spring were the occasional bicycle being nicked or a cow escaping through an open gate. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-43911747)
There was also an aeroplane landing in a field not that many years ago, wasn't there, narrowly missing several puppy schools and primary farms?

Hydromet
27th Apr 2018, 07:19
I wonder if the bobby had his truncheon out?

During Australia's bicentennial celebrations in 1988, one of the live-to-air shots was from a helicopter near South Head, of a naked couple, hard at it on the cliff. 'Twas shown again on ABC television recently.

UniFoxOs
27th Apr 2018, 07:30
Bit early, isn't it? I always go by the old song:- "Hey, Hey,Hey, the First of May, Outdoor sex begins today".

VP959
27th Apr 2018, 07:52
Makes a nice change to have something in the air in Salisbury other than nerve agent.....................

There was also an aeroplane landing in a field not that many years ago, wasn't there, narrowly missing several puppy schools and primary farms?

May have been me doing a practice forced landing, or someone using one of the multitude of farm strips that seem to be all around here, most of them not noted on any chart. It seems that half the bigger farms around here have a field with a small makeshift hangar in the corner.

treadigraph
27th Apr 2018, 10:44
There was, of course, the B36. And, some years later, the jet airliner in a field near Tilshead. .

The B-36 was an amazing event! Was the airliner a 1-11? I seem to recall tell of one landing wheels up in a field during a test flight (not the deep stall accident).

Planning a visit to Salisbury sometime in the summer - for the purposes of drinking, not nudity or offending public decency...

Sallyann1234
27th Apr 2018, 11:34
It's just amazing what these Russians will do to divert attention from their novichok.

pulse1
27th Apr 2018, 12:09
There was also an aeroplane landing in a field not that many years ago
While I was learning to fly at Old Sarum when it was an RAF airfield, a fellow student got lost on his qualifying cross country and landed in a field between Salisbury and Fordingbridge. Once he found out where he was, he took off and found his way back to Old Sarum. He didn't say anything because, the week before, he had done something similar but, that time, he followed the rules and got an instructor to come and get him. He would have got away with if the local paper hadn't reported it.

Curious Pax
27th Apr 2018, 13:11
Planning a visit to Salisbury sometime in the summer - for the purposes of drinking, not nudity or offending public decency...

take it steady - number 1 can easily lead to numbers 2 and 3!

VP959
27th Apr 2018, 13:18
'Twas the 1-11 to which you refer, Tredders. Apparently the machine might have been capable of being flown out of the field, but it was taken back to Hurn and went to a British airline after a touch of bodywork attention.

Ale - my local favourite is Summer Lightning, extant since 1988. Decent ale house, with proper drinkers, in village called Newton Tony, pub is The Malet. Occasional Porton Down gossip.

The Malet Arms used to be my local - very good food and decent beer, although I found that one of their "Malet Burgers" was enough to feed at least two people. More army gossip over the last few years, since Land Command moved to Andover. Last I heard the Porton crowd had switched back to using the Earl of Normanton, Allington, which was their traditional watering hole for years.

treadigraph
27th Apr 2018, 14:47
Don't worry CP, we're sober citizens even when not sober. Though if any Salisbury ladies feel the need to demonstrate number two, we'll not object!

Sadly will be restricted to Salisbury itself as we will be travelling by train. Unless Newton Tony has a Wetherspoons, in which case my mate Peter will be quivering with excitement and checking the bus timetables!

Last went to Salisbury about 15 years or more ago and sadly recollect little of the day - except drinking wine in the Winchester Gate as they had no cider...