PDA

View Full Version : President Trump UK visit Jul 18

mckelvey
26th Apr 2018, 16:50
Just had a difference of opinion with colleague. When President Trump visits the UK in July this year is Air Force One likely to land at RAF Northolt?

FarWest
26th Apr 2018, 17:21
Air Force One will not land at RAF Nortolt - or even at RAF Northolt. The airfield can not take an aircraft that size. A Boeing 707 landed there by mistake in 1960 and it was not easy to get it out again. Picture and short story at https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1001607.
FW

sitigeltfel
26th Apr 2018, 17:26
The visit is on Friday the 13th.

US President Donald Trump to visit the UK in July - BBC News (http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-43913414)

Linedog
26th Apr 2018, 17:59
With a bit of luck we could be fogged in, after all it is black Friday.

mckelvey
26th Apr 2018, 18:01
BGG, an an non-expert I haven't looked up the size of Northolt's runway and even if I did I wouldn't know if it was long enough for Air Force One. Sorry for not being an expert like you.

Rosevidney1
26th Apr 2018, 18:03
Well, I for one will welcome his visit. He has already accomplished more in his way than the whole tenure of his predecessor.

goudie
26th Apr 2018, 18:03
I don’t suffer from being superstitious...but!

MPN11
26th Apr 2018, 18:11
Mildenhall is the likely landfall, IMO. Under USAF cotrol, etc.

Brookmans Park
26th Apr 2018, 18:35
​​​​​Shame about the date,April 1St would have been appropriate

​​​

Linedog
26th Apr 2018, 18:51
Could be Fairford. Straight in.

BEagle
26th Apr 2018, 19:00
I see that Boris the Blustering Buffoon is already spouting about how great it is that Trump will be visiting the UK....

Personally I feel that Vladimir Putin would be far more welcome here.

Sadiq Khan has already announced: If he comes to London, President Trump will experience an open and diverse city that has always chosen unity over division and hope over fear. He will also no doubt see that Londoners hold their liberal values of freedom of speech very dear.

Which could be interesting....

Out Of Trim
26th Apr 2018, 19:26
Last few POTUS visits AF1 has used Stanstead, More secure than other London airfields.

I guess you meant Stansted.

No more secure than other London Airports! :rolleyes:

ShotOne
26th Apr 2018, 20:13
..,”could be fogged in etc etc..”. Why is it so fashionable, even on a military forum, to be so petty over a visit from the elected leader of our most reliable and important ally? After all, we’ve rolled out the red carpet to a string of odious despots many of whom were never even elected at all

Airbubba
26th Apr 2018, 20:23
..,”could be fogged in etc etc..”. Why is it so fashionable, even on a military forum, to be so petty over a visit from the elected leader of our most reliable and important ally?

The two biggest pastimes on PPRuNe are putting down America and complaining about how hard it is to get a green card. ;)

hawk-eye
26th Apr 2018, 20:46
Didn't President Bush fly to and from Heathrow during his state visit?

dead_pan
26th Apr 2018, 21:25
Fairford will be in the final stages of prep for RIAT, Farnborough could be an option if he wanted to fly the flag for US aerospace industry, Brize a possibility. Odds on Mildenhall though, given the expected reception...

langleybaston
26th Apr 2018, 21:51
..,”could be fogged in etc etc..”. Why is it so fashionable, even on a military forum, to be so petty over a visit from the elected leader of our most reliable and important ally? After all, we’ve rolled out the red carpet to a string of odious despots many of whom were never even elected at all

Fog? Really?
Prob10 is as big as it gets on that date, and really PROB01.

Tankertrashnav
27th Apr 2018, 00:09
I personally think that the President, in his capacity as head of state of one of our greatest allies should be treated with respect commensurate with the dignity of his office

The fact that the man himself is a complete horse's ass should make no difference - after all we have accorded similar treatment to some much more sinister people in our time, as Shot One has pointed out. It is POTUS we are welcoming, not Donald Trump.

hunterboy
27th Apr 2018, 05:01
We really seem to take pride in trying to piss off our few friends and allies in the UK while bending over backwards to accommodate those that don’t have our best interests at heart. Living abroad now as I do, I’m incredulous at how naive the average British politician seems to be.

BEagle
27th Apr 2018, 06:01
ShotOne wrote: After all, we’ve rolled out the red carpet to a string of odious despots...

As Mother MayDay will be doing on Friday 13th...

Roland Pulfrew
27th Apr 2018, 06:11
I see that Boris is already spouting about how great it is that Trump will be visiting the UK

Sadiq Khan has already announced:

Does that idiot Khan ever actually travel around London? United? He’s having a laugh; it’s one of the least united parts of the country!!

Some of our politicians petty blustering over whether POTUS visits and how much they are going to protest is simply childish and damaging to the UK’s long-term interests. Not surprising I guess, most of our politicians cannot take a long-term view of anything.

West Coast
27th Apr 2018, 06:23
I see that Boris the Blustering Buffoon is already spouting about how great it is that Trump will be visiting the UK....

Personally I feel that Vladimir Putin would be far more welcome here.

Says something about you Beagle.

ImageGear
27th Apr 2018, 06:56
I think that anyone who knows where Trump will land is not about to divulge the location on PPrune or anywhere else until all aspects of the arrival have been locked down, verified and confirmed.

IG

ShotOne
27th Apr 2018, 07:22
Frankly I'm embarrassed by some of th infantile comments here from my fellow countrymen; if I was from USA I'd be unimpressed even if I'd voted for Hilary. "Vladimir Putin far more welcome here..."?? Seriously?

Brian 48nav
27th Apr 2018, 07:49
I hope that is not another cheap dig at Civil ATC! When the POTUS visits UK, Air Force One always lands at Heathrow and is dealt with by ATC as just another movement. No Purple Airspace rubbish, no grounding everyone from '30 minutes before to 15 minutes after' - it is just another movement, I guess the only difference will be that it will not be required to hold if there are delays inbound.

Tay Cough
27th Apr 2018, 08:54
Not last time it wasn’t. I’ve had the dubious pleasure of being held up by AF1 and the war machine (they travel in pairs) on a couple of occasions in the U.K, once at LHR, in exactly the scenario you describe as not happening. On the first occasion in particular (UK but not LHR), it resulted in a number of diversions. They have their own way of operating (I seem to remember they informed ATC what they were doing and just did it on the first occasion).

My understanding is that when President O visited, he used Stansted as the chaos at LHR by President GWB was well documented.

Bing
27th Apr 2018, 09:02
No Purple Airspace rubbish, no grounding everyone from '30 minutes before to 15 minutes after' - it is just another movement, I guess the only difference will be that it will not be required to hold if there are delays inbound.

They handle it a bit differently when it's operating in the USA though:
Not Even Rescue Aircraft Can Fly When Air Force One Comes To Town - Business Insider (http://www.businessinsider.com/not-even-rescue-aircraft-can-fly-when-air-force-one-comes-to-town-2012-9?IR=T)

But then I guess there wouldn't be any 'Purple Airspace rubbish' for a Royal Flight outside the UK either?

Brian 48nav
27th Apr 2018, 09:41
Sorry Folks - having left LHR in 2000 I am not up to date. Certainly when Bill Clinton arrived for the Good Friday Agreement LHR was used - I was on duty the morning AF1 departed for Belfast and again when it arrived back the following morning. As I said above just another movement for LHR, London Control etc - as for the associated helicopters, a nightmare! Best to 'throw a sickie' rather that risk your licence with them!

MPN11
27th Apr 2018, 10:09
I hope that is not another cheap dig at Civil ATC! When the POTUS visits UK, Air Force One always lands at Heathrow and is dealt with by ATC as just another movement. No Purple Airspace rubbish, no grounding everyone from '30 minutes before to 15 minutes after' - it is just another movement, I guess the only difference will be that it will not be required to hold if there are delays inbound.
I would not post cheap digs at my erstwhile Civil ATC colleagues. I have worked with/alongside them for far too many years to have anything other than total respect for their skills and professionalism. Their pay/pensions/terms of service are a different matter, though ;)

thunderbird7
27th Apr 2018, 14:14
I personally think that the President, in his capacity as head of state of one of our greatest allies should be treated with respect commensurate with the dignity of his office..... It is POTUS we are welcoming, not Donald Trump.

Trouble is, HE doesn't treat his office with the dignity it deserves, so why should we bother? Don't forget, in Trumptonland, its all about HIM!!!

Evanelpus
27th Apr 2018, 14:21

I can't stand this media whore. This 'slick spiv' would attend an envelope if the TV's were there to film it.

Basil
27th Apr 2018, 16:10
Oh, dear, if there's any sort of state procession, it looks like I'll have to take the trouble to attend if only to make my tiny point that the elected head of state of one of our greatest allies is welcome in our country.

jindabyne
28th Apr 2018, 09:13
As I said elsewhere ----

We are hosting the elected (yes) President of the country which is our closest and longest standing ally in recent history. In my mind, that behoves us to welcome the incumbent and respect the individual's formal position. In politics we cannot choose our friends as we do in normal social life. Often there has to be a recognition that it is necessary to set aside (not ignore) individuals' failings in order to appreciate the wider picture. If we do not, and elect to follow the likes of Cable, Khan and all others who are baying for his blood, then we denigrate our own well established and respected democratic way of life. I do not warm to Mr Trump and dislike many of his public traits: but I will courteously welcome him as the elected representative of my friends in the US. After his short visit, I will hopefully be glad that he came, was accorded civility (and yes, I know that many will say he himself doesn't), and that I am able to wave a polite goodbye; with US and UK relationships intact.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
28th Apr 2018, 09:55
I personally think that the President, in his capacity as head of state of one of our greatest allies should be treated with respect commensurate with the dignity of his office

The fact that the man himself is a complete horse's ass should make no difference - after all we have accorded similar treatment to some much more sinister people in our time, as Shot One has pointed out. It is POTUS we are welcoming, not Donald Trump.

100% agree. Not every country/regime likes or agrees with the concept of a Queen but ours is always accorded respect as Head of State.

NEO

Warmtoast
28th Apr 2018, 15:26
dead pan your #17

Farnborough could be an option if he wanted to fly the flag for US aerospace industry
..except Farnborough will be holding its 2018 Airshow from Monday 16th July until 22nd July, so not very likely IMHO.
ISTR that the last time a president visited he landed at a USAF air-base in east Anglia and flew down to London in the presidential helicopter.

Donkey497
28th Apr 2018, 23:32
Having had the dubious pleasure of having important & immovable business reasons (I was told) to be in that there London during visits to said place by the last four holders of POTUS office, all I will say as a 100% guaranteed prediction that no matter what airport in the bottom right corner of the country you may be trying to transit through, YOU WILL BE DELAYED at the pleasure of the fabled AF1 callsign, no matter if you or they are arriving or departing and no matter what airport they intend to use. Adding the blue silver and white dumbo (I'm not a 747 fan....) into the normal mix of extremely busy traffic just can't help but cause chaos.
My advice is that if you have no alternative to travel via one of the London airports as a POTUS visit starts or finishes, your best option, even if going longhaul, is give up and walk.:(

Fonsini
29th Apr 2018, 00:47
Always interesting to read how we are regarded in the UK.

cvg2iln
29th Apr 2018, 03:38
The American nuclear umbrella saves Little Britain from the Bear - hence LB will dance to the imposed tune. So say 'Yes Mr.President' and be grateful that Nato continues to save LB from the natural order. My tax dollars (not yours) at work.

Edit: 24,000 plus posts? Seek professional help - you need it. You're not and never will be 411A.

Dan Winterland
29th Apr 2018, 05:28
GWB used Brize at least twice.

cvg2iln
29th Apr 2018, 06:01
GWB used Brize at least twice.

So did Obama. Norfolk VA to Brize to STN. Helicopter parts.

BEagle
29th Apr 2018, 07:24
As did Mikhail Gorbachev - whose statesmanship was readily apparent.

Not something one can say about the loathsome Trump.

Warmtoast
29th Apr 2018, 09:55
In the old days US presidents did it differently using RAF Transport Command on at least one occasion as below when I photographed President Ike arriving at RAF Benson on his way to visit PM Macmillan at Chequers in August 1959.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Abingdon/Ike1a.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Abingdon/Ike-2a.jpg

Later (in April 2016) President Obama visited London to meet with David Cameron at No 10. He had dinner with the Queen at Buckingham Palace and later visited William and Kate at Kensington Palace. He landed in AF1 at Stansted and used "The Beast" (presidential car 002) for his visits around London.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Abingdon/Image8_zps6atpmlis.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Abingdon/Image7_zpsp2idfvvs.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/RAF%20Abingdon/Image6_zpsf1qihopt.jpg