PDA

View Full Version : if it aint broken...

rans6andrew
26th Apr 2018, 14:40
Twice, in the recent few weeks, I have been advised to retune our Freeview box(es) as there has been some channel changes. Since this all started we have lost "watchability" on several of the channels that we used to watch. The channels are there but the signal keeps dropping out and we get a signal lost message that needs to be cleared by two button presses on the remote controller handset between spells of blocky pixelation of the image.

My mother, in the midlands, has had the same retune demands and now has virtually no watchable channels.

I have been through all of the FAQ on the website and none of their suggestions is at all helpful, as usual.

Why can't they just leave things alone?

Who can we complain to?

Rans6...........

treadigraph
26th Apr 2018, 14:44
My smart TV regularly demands a Freeview re-tune 'cos of channel updates - I usually ignore as I have turned it on to watch something, eventually press the OK button - it takes about 5 minutes to complete. Then tells me to re-tune again the next day... I'm not aware of losing anything though...

nickp
26th Apr 2018, 15:11
I was talking to a TV engineer yesterday and he said that they were busy retuning sets after Freeview changes, so I googled it. Apparently Auto Retune just works its way through the frequencies from one end to the other but if you are within range of two transmitters it takes the first one, even though it may be a weak signal and not the one you were used to. This can arise if your usual transmitter is temporarily off air and subsequent auto retunes will not change the transmitters back again. What you then need to do is a Manual Retune. Try googling something like Freeview Tuning and it should explain everything.

rans6andrew
26th Apr 2018, 16:14
been there, done that, got told a load of b*!!*cks. I rang the freeview advice line and was advised to unplug the TV aerial, at both ends! and then to do a full factory retune of the freeview recorder, like I had not done a full retune already. Then I was passed onto @800, because they can send out a filter to stop 4g interference on my signal. @800 asked which channels were bad and when they went bad and concluded that it was the changes at the transmitter on 21st March and then again on 18th April that caused the issues and nothing to do with 4g. A filter would do no good. They passed me back to the freeview advice line............

They all seem trained to spout garbage and pass the buck but not do anything that actually puts things back to working at the transmitter end of the chain.

Rans6........

DType
26th Apr 2018, 16:44
Gave up and got a MAN in.
He blamed 4g.
So much for autotune!

Sallyann1234
26th Apr 2018, 18:00
Twice, in the recent few weeks, I have been advised to retune our Freeview box(es) as there has been some channel changes. Since this all started we have lost "watchability" on several of the channels that we used to watch. The channels are there but the signal keeps dropping out and we get a signal lost message that needs to be cleared by two button presses on the remote controller handset between spells of blocky pixelation of the image.

My mother, in the midlands, has had the same retune demands and now has virtually no watchable channels.

I have been through all of the FAQ on the website and none of their suggestions is at all helpful, as usual.

Why can't they just leave things alone?

Who can we complain to?

Rans6...........

The changes are required because the spectrum available for TV broadcast is being reduced in stages, from the highest channels down, to make way for new mobile channels.

Depending on your location, the channels may have been moved into a different group which means you may no longer have the correct aerial. There are other consequences as well that may affect your reception.

This isn't the end of the changes by any means.

glad rag
26th Apr 2018, 18:21
Speaking of "If it ain't broke" why is it with 50g wireless it seems that loading a load of crap around the outside whilst main content stutters and reloads?

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Apr 2018, 11:20
Who can we complain to?
Same answer as always ... you can complain to whoever it is you're paying for the service.

VP959
27th Apr 2018, 11:45
I reached the conclusion years ago that Freeview was likely to be more trouble than it was worth in many areas. I did try to receive it, and spent a great deal of money changing antennas, getting new, longer masts erected, buying the kit to receive it, but it never worked well, and even when not being blocked by the slightest bit of interference, retuning seemed to be something that was needed with monotonous regularity, as various transmitters changed frequency, once needing an expensive high gain antenna replacement. As there were already stories about the spectrum being sold off, and Freeview frequencies being shifted yet again, and as we were getting far too much interference from everything from the dishwasher to car or motorcycles driving past, I switched to Freesat.

Our switch to Freesat was around 6 or 7 years ago now, and not only did reception reliability improve a great deal, but the picture quality is markedly better than Freeview, and we have never, ever, had to faff around retuning, or turning the thing on in the evening to find that some sort of overnight update has failed, leaving only a partially functioning box.

Freesat is so good I'm really surprised that it isn't more widely promoted. The cost of the dish, quad LNB and enough cable to run four feeds to wherever we wanted in the house came to around 40 to 50, IIRC. The Freesat receiver (I opted to get a PVR) was exactly the same price as the equivalent Freeview box. It took around half an hour to fit and align the dish, plus maybe another ten minutes to set up the box. Since then all we've done is turn the thing on and use it. Not once has it given a moment's trouble. An added bonus is that we now have no unsightly mast strapped to the chimney, with a massive high gain antenna on top of it. The Freesat dish is mounted on the wall, where it's out of sight and can be easily accessed with a short ladder if it ever needs anything doing to it (so far it hasn't, it just works)

Sallyann1234
27th Apr 2018, 12:10
That's a far better solution, providing your line of sight to the satellites is not blocked. The Freesat channels also need retuning as services come and go, but that is a much simpler process.
In the longer term, even the satellite TV channels may close when we all have super fast broadband connections. But you needn't worry about that just yet. :ok:

wiggy
27th Apr 2018, 12:18
In the longer term, even the satellite TV channels may close when we all have super fast broadband connections. But you needn't worry about that just yet.

I wonder how far away "just yet" is. Having watched lots of European and UK footie here in rural France recently, thanks to my son, his "Bein" subscription, his laptop and an HDMI connection to our TV I have to say I've been v impressed......

Sallyann1234
27th Apr 2018, 12:32
I wonder how far away "just yet" is. Having watched lots of European and UK footie here in rural France recently, thanks to my son, his "Bein" subscription, his laptop and an HDMI connection to our TV I have to say I've been v impressed......

It's a 'far away' as ubiquitous fast broadband.

There is actually a cost driver. The broadcasters have to pay for terrestrial transmitters and satellite links. They'd love to shut that lot down and let you pay through your broadband subscriptions.

VP959
27th Apr 2018, 13:00
It's a 'far away' as ubiquitous fast broadband.

There is actually a cost driver. The broadcasters have to pay for terrestrial transmitters and satellite links. They'd love to shut that lot down and let you pay through your broadband subscriptions.

Therein lies the rub!

With supposedly "super fast" fibre-to-the-cabinet "broadband" that just about delivers a stuttering, low resolution, YouTube video (and which stops everyone else in the house from downloading anything if you try it), and no sign of that changing any time in the near-to medium term, the prospect of getting HD video via broadband for us is not something I'm likely to see in my lifetime, I suspect.

All the money locally for enhancing rural broadband has been spent, and having had a look at a neighbours (very expensive) satellite broadband system I'm not convinced that's the answer, either. Satellite broadband certainly works, you just have to get used to the massive lag. If you click a link then it's very slow to respond, but once it does, the data rate seems fantastic compared to our 1 to 2 Mb/s, on a good day.

wiggy
27th Apr 2018, 13:23
With supposedly "super fast" fibre-to-the-cabinet "broadband" that just about delivers a stuttering, low resolution, YouTube video

Well can't speak for the UK, can't compare technologies, but we are in very rural France, with1 km of copper between us and the village exchange), yet get typical download speed is well above 10Mb/s. That won't give us what I'd call proper HD with the aforementioned Bein but it is better than standard resolution image, and there doesn't appear to impact on watching sport via internet vs. downloading anywhere else in the house.

I accept it's not what a HD purist would find acceptable but TBH it's a lot more stable than our (French) TNT ( "Freeview") and as good as most of our Freesat channels.

I'll be honest and say that I thought my eldest was wasting his time with the subscription but I have to be absolutely honest and say I was gobsmacked when I first saw the quality of the stuff he was streaming...

Sallyann1234
27th Apr 2018, 14:35
Therein lies the rub!

With supposedly "super fast" fibre-to-the-cabinet "broadband" that just about delivers a stuttering, low resolution, YouTube video (and which stops everyone else in the house from downloading anything if you try it), and no sign of that changing any time in the near-to medium term, the prospect of getting HD video via broadband for us is not something I'm likely to see in my lifetime, I suspect.

All the money locally for enhancing rural broadband has been spent, and having had a look at a neighbours (very expensive) satellite broadband system I'm not convinced that's the answer, either. Satellite broadband certainly works, you just have to get used to the massive lag. If you click a link then it's very slow to respond, but once it does, the data rate seems fantastic compared to our 1 to 2 Mb/s, on a good day.
Well there you go - you have chosen to live in a peaceful rural environment and you get the little inconveniences that go with it.

I'm sure there are many people with super fast broadband, living in dirty suburban streets and afraid to go out at night, who would be very glad to swap places with you. :E

tucumseh
27th Apr 2018, 16:35
I find the best thing to do is unplug the aerial and retune. Wait for it to tell you there's no channels, plug in and repeat. Also, because some standalone Freeview tuners are old, then delete all unwanted channels to free up memory..

Hussar 54
27th Apr 2018, 17:06

More or less the same here....

We have an Amazon Firestick stuck into the back of the TV and downloaded a ( free ) App called UKTVNOW which gives us about 200 stations, including subsription sports channels from all over Europe and Nth America. Replaces the SKY Box which we had for years until SKY reduced the signal strength ( was it ? ) two or three years ago and the only way to continue to get SKY was going to be with a dish in the garden only slightly smaller than Jodrell Bank. It took about 2 hours to get the Firestick working properly, another day or so to find and download the right Apps to enable downloading of UKTVNOW, and works perfectly on our approx 8mps line.

Cost a one-off 59 whereas we were paying SKY through our daughter's bank account about 850 per year. So their loss, not ours.

Another excellent way to watch non-SKY UK channels over the internet for free is a web site - the first four letters of its name are the same as the company with bright orange aircraft and it has a .EU domain. The site's free, although I do send them 10 every month as a contribution in the hope that it'll keep the owners above water for the five or six times each year when our children come to visit us.

VP959
27th Apr 2018, 18:38
Why can France organise decent rural broadband, when it has more than double the land area of the UK, about the same population and far more challenging terrain?

Form the above comments, those living in rural France are getting decent broadband and aren't paying excessive fees for it, either. I live 7 miles outside a city here in the UK, yet can't get decent broadband, terrestrial TV or any sort of mobile phone or data signal, yet I bet if I lived in France this would not be a problem. I remember being surprised to find how good mobile coverage was when staying in a friend's place, right out in the countryside, around 40 miles East of Carcassonne. Even ten years ago he had decent internet connection speeds and excellent mobile coverage, despite living on the edge of a tiny village with a population of maybe 100, at the most.

Hussar 54
28th Apr 2018, 12:12
No idea why.

Like WIGGY, we're fairly rural - a small village on the coast, about 40 of us here 9 months of the year but feels like 40,000 the other three months - and about 10kms from the next town which has about 3,000 people although there's not really much inbetween.

I don't remember anyone actually telling us or announcing that the network or infrastructure was being replaced or upgraded, but we have had between 4mbs and 8mbs since we first started to use the internet at home about 15 years ago which, I think, was long before fibre broadband had been invented. So I assume we're still connected by copper wires !

At the risk of seeming over-political, I'd guess that in the case of France, public utilities and public infrastructure are still largely Government owned and / or controlled which produces both good and bad examples of public services compared to what I've experienced in the UK, and maybe the PTT has been quietly investing in improving the network over the past decade because it isn't driven by the need to produce sufficient cashflow for dividends to private investors and shareholders.

RedhillPhil
28th Apr 2018, 12:19
Gave up and got a MAN in.
He blamed 4g.
So much for autotune!

I had this last year. Apparently 4G can affect freeview - sometimes quite badly. Man he tell me that his services are free and are being paid for by guvvmint. Umbrella company is at800. You calls them up and they sends a man to fix it and, - if necessary - install a filter. See, you can get something off the guvvmint for nothing.