PDA

View Full Version : New look PPRuNe pages

BusyB
25th Apr 2018, 18:55
Does anyone else find todays look really irritating?
This could well drive me away.

Mike6567
25th Apr 2018, 19:02
It is rather strange.

There should be an option to select "Classic pprune"

Also I think there is something wrong with it - yet to be fixed(?)

When I first select it the whole screen is occupied but after a millisec it reverts to about 80% across.

axefurabz
25th Apr 2018, 19:07
I think it's been taken over by the TSB.

TCAS FAN
25th Apr 2018, 19:10
My vote is either a return to the original, or the option to select it,

VP959
25th Apr 2018, 19:11
There's a thread running on this that seems to be doing a reasonable job of collating all the various issues that have cropped up as a consequence of this "upgrade", here: https://www.pprune.org/pprune-problems-queries/608157-new-look-pprune.html

It's probably more useful for those who have the challenge of trying to fix the bugs resulting from this change if they are all posted on that thread, I think. It's pretty much inevitable that the "law of unintended consequences" kicks in when an upgrade like this is done. It shouldn't, but there are such a wide variety of devices, operating systems and web browsers around now that testing must be a bit of a nightmare for developers.

Pontius Navigator
25th Apr 2018, 19:13
Actually I find the mobile device presentation quite clean.

Linedog
25th Apr 2018, 19:19
I vote return to the original. I have one desktop on win xp 32bit, and one on win 10 64bit and they both look strange.

sidevalve
25th Apr 2018, 19:28
How does that old saying go? "If it ain't broke, fix it until it is.."
I always thought that the site worked fine in its previous incarnation.

VP959
25th Apr 2018, 19:29

Depends on the size of the screen, it seems. If trying to use the mobile format on a large screen tablet, it just wastes loads of screen space and makes it harder to use, so I have my tablet set to default to the non-mobile view, primarily because the screen is the same size as some laptops.

VP959
25th Apr 2018, 19:31
I vote return to the original. I have one desktop on win xp 32bit, and one on win 10 64bit and they both look strange.

If you go to the Private Flying sub-forum you'll probably find it's still in the original format. It was a few minutes ago. Looks like something untoward has happened when the update was applied, perhaps.

clareprop
25th Apr 2018, 20:55
When I joined PPRuNe in 2008, the forum looked dated. This new revision brings it up to 2008 standards. Still, it works so given all the other problems in the world, I'm sure it'll do...

Fareastdriver
25th Apr 2018, 21:00
It doesn't work. When you have finished with a page you MIGHT have a box where you can select another subject. If you have one you can be sure it won't be there when you need it next so you have to scroll, sorry, jump to the top and select it there. The whole thing is a pain in the neck compared with the old format.

Gertrude the Wombat
25th Apr 2018, 21:57
Still, it works
No it doesn't. I get a "mixed secure and insecure" warning on every page (except, bizarrely enough, this one).

N707ZS
25th Apr 2018, 22:07
Mine seems to have a large gap on the R/H side.

racedo
25th Apr 2018, 22:09
In a word it sucks.

llondel
25th Apr 2018, 22:14
It doesn't seem too bad to me. Different, but stuff still seems to be easy to find. I will admit to running all sorts of security plug-ins on my browser so I might not have irritating ads that others are seeing.

Windy Militant
25th Apr 2018, 22:35
Yes

Unfortunately that's the reason they've changed it, to make it more appealing to the iPhone generation.
Sic transit gloria mundi and all that eh! :(

Ogre
25th Apr 2018, 22:50
If they're going to change the look of things can they at least give us a "Like" button? So many times I've read a post and agreed with the content, but can't show my appreciation especially if I've missed a few posts and the thread has moved on.

Carbon Bootprint
25th Apr 2018, 22:54
I find it extremely irritating in both form and function. Where do I sign the petition for a retrograde?

Loose rivets
26th Apr 2018, 00:02
My welcome box, top right, is alone in being all nice and ambery. The rest is a poke in the eyes with a pointed stick.

Lancelot37
26th Apr 2018, 00:35
I find it extremely irritating in both form and function. Where do I sign the petition for a retrograde?

Agreed, why change something which is already good for something awful?

Lancelot37
26th Apr 2018, 00:38
Yes

Unfortunately that's the reason they've changed it, to make it more appealing to the iPhone generation.
Sic transit gloria mundi and all that eh! :(

Stuff those with an iPhone. Leave it as it was. We like it that way. Why is progress a step backwards? Just to please a few?

megan
26th Apr 2018, 00:56
It's a dogs breakfast. Various pages have different methods to change forums. Doesn't seem any testing was done before rolling it out. An F- Pprune. Give us our old version back.

Two's in
26th Apr 2018, 01:04
Damn new-fangled nonsense! Had to get the Butler to bring the telephonic device and call my cousin Bertie to complain about this internet thingy. We haven't had change in the estate for over 200 years and blessed if we are starting now. Jeeves! Mount up the horseless chariot, I'm off to my club...

Nervous SLF
26th Apr 2018, 02:00
If "they" didn't know before then "they" do now, us oldies just don't like changes like this latest "improvement" that upset the brain cells. :)

Lantern10
26th Apr 2018, 04:20
I thought my computer thingy was broken.:=

Katamarino
26th Apr 2018, 04:25
Using Chrome on Android, I no longer have any navigation buttons. I can't go to the next page of any thread. The only way to see anything other than the first 20 posts in a thread is to manually add "-2" or "-3" or so on in the address bar.

Nice upgrade...

RadarContactLost
26th Apr 2018, 05:59
Stuff those with an iPhone. Leave it as it was. We like it that way. Why is progress a step backwards? Just to please a few?
Exactly. It wasn't broke, it worked as it should, was easy to use and did wot it said on the tin.
Now I can't go to a particular page in a thread. I have to go to the first page then navigate to the desired page, or go to first unread post. I don't wanna do either, I wanna be able to go to the desired page. Stop fukcing with something that isn't broken!!!
Danny shoulda never sold out. Just sayin...

Edited to add, at least my ad blocker still works, thank fukc. ;)
Up yours, ibobi

RadarContactLost
26th Apr 2018, 06:18
Case in point...
Friday jokes has over 11,700 replies. I read 'am all. What happened to the "go to last page" option?????? Now I can't go to the last page. I have to go to the first page then navigate to first unread post. Why?? Why can't I just go to the last goddamned page anymore?????? What genius thought this a good idea??? The advertisers???
It's all about the almighty dollar. Advertisers with money to burn say jump, and ibobi says "how high?" All While taking two steps backward with a website forum that worked perfectly until they " upgraded" it and it is no longer useable. One step forward, 2 steps back....

cavortingcheetah
26th Apr 2018, 07:13
Blame it all on the first officers, unable to navigate without pretty technology, who couldn't find German Corner with a 1:1000,000 and a VOR needle if they were lost in a Boss game.

Alternatively of course, one could just comment that Pprune, not being quite the aviation content forum it once was, doesn't need to look like a 747 Classic anymore.

Dea Certe
26th Apr 2018, 07:33
I don’t like it either. It feels jumbled and messy.

rogerg
26th Apr 2018, 07:37
German Corner
That was always fun to find in the 1-11

Pontius Navigator
26th Apr 2018, 07:47
Press double arrow bottom right.

Case in point...
Friday jokes has over 11,700 replies. I read 'am all. What happened to the "go to last page" option?????? Now I can't go to the last page. I have to go to the first page then navigate to first unread post. Why?? Why can't I just go to the last goddamned page anymore?????? What genius thought this a good idea??? The advertisers???
It's all about the almighty dollar. Advertisers with money to burn say jump, and ibobi says "how high?" All While taking two steps backward with a website forum that worked perfectly until they " upgraded" it and it is no longer useable. One step forward, 2 steps back....

VP959
26th Apr 2018, 07:47
For those that want the forum to look a bit better, IMHO, you can change the colour scheme and layout to make a slight improvement. Go to your User CP (left most button on the ribbon at the top), select your profile, scroll to the very bottom and there is a window that gives the default view. Click the drop down arrow and set ClassicNextGenstyle as the default.

It's not a great hep, but to my eyes it does seem to make some of the text sizes look more balanced than they were, and the colour scheme is more like the old version.

Sadly this doesn't fix the very slow page loads, or some of the other snags on some devices.

From the main thread on the subject of this upgrade, it seems clear that the administrators are trying to work through the bugs and snags that are being reported. For now, the only fix I've found for the very slow page loads on some threads is to install an ad blocker, as it's the ads that seem to be the major cause of this, at least for those of us who may not have lightning fast broadband. It looks like the advertisers here have made the assumption that all users will have fibre broadband speeds, and included lots of content that takes forever and a day to load.

Pontius Navigator
26th Apr 2018, 07:57
Bottom right is a More+ button. Press and a button bottom left allows you to see ALL posts updated today. Not sure quite how it works around the world.

Haraka
26th Apr 2018, 08:13
I had just got my laptop back from a check-up and thought "WTF !! ". In all fairness it is obviously not quite bedded in yet, so give it a few weeks and let's see how we feel about it then.
"Constant change is here to stay .....Doodah, Doodah......"

VP959
26th Apr 2018, 08:30
The snags are being fixed, one by one. For example, the blank boxes that were showing in any new post with an embedded video problem now seems to be fixed. For those suffering from problems with long page load times the only fix I've found that works is to install an ad blocker - the problem seemed to be caused by very slow to load ads. Switching to the ClassicNextGenstyle as the default view fixes some of the issues with colours and text size variation reasonably well.

Zeus
26th Apr 2018, 08:36
Hopefully Pprune will be able to get their money back for this retrograde step.
The site now seems slower. This is probably down to the time taken for the adverts to load.
Is it me or are there more of them?
As previously stated this all adds up to an incentive to stay away.

Nige321
26th Apr 2018, 09:56
It's a standard vBulletin update. All working fine on a Mac.
It can take a while for all the pages to update correctly when an update is applied.
Give it a day or two and it'll be fine...

Katamarino
26th Apr 2018, 10:15
Have tried now on both tablet and phone. There are no buttons to go to next page or previous page. It's impossible to view any thread with more than one page.

This completely breaks the forum. It's not like Chrome or Android are a niche browser or OS.

G-CPTN
26th Apr 2018, 10:40
Jet Blast homepage indicates that there are two pages to this thread. I can't see the second?

Previous version had 20 posts per page, whereas the new version seems to string all posts together.

Loose rivets
26th Apr 2018, 10:53
I think I know what they're on . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NL6CDFn2i3I

treadigraph
26th Apr 2018, 11:03
Ibobi posted this - it's taken me back to the way I like to navigate on my laptop, ie page links and the forum jump pull down list at the bottom. Haven't tried smartphone yet.

How to disable "infinite scroll" and return to old pagination style
Go to User CP https://www.pprune.org/usercp.php (https://www.pprune.org/usercp.php)
Click Edit Options
Click "Disable Infinite Scroll"
SAVE
NOTE: Due to a bug, this cannot be undone at this time, so be sure you want it off!

oldairphot
26th Apr 2018, 11:04
Speaking as one who's partner works for Waitrose or rather "modern Waitrose" as they now like to style themselves I think it is change for the sake of change, IOW let's fix what 'aint broke

Boxkite Montgolfier
26th Apr 2018, 11:13
Infuriating, Stupid , Downgrade,, WHY?

Tankertrashnav
26th Apr 2018, 11:21
This may have already been answered but I now get an advert every three or four posts as I scroll down. I've never "disabled adverts" before, but I never had this trouble either, just some at the top, but none within the thread itself. Can somebody advise a not very computer literate PPRuNer how to get rid of these annoying ads?

VP959
26th Apr 2018, 11:32
This may have already been answered but I now get an advert every three or four posts as I scroll down. I've never "disabled adverts" before, but I never had this trouble either, just some at the top, but none within the thread itself. Can somebody advise a not very computer literate PPRuNer how to get rid of these annoying ads?

I hate having to suggest something that potentially removes some of the income that keeps this forum going, but I've had to activate an ad blocker in order to be able to just view the forum at all, as the ads were just so intrusive, and so slow to load, that I didn't have the patience to wait any longer to scroll down a page.

I run Firefox as a browser on all my devices, and there is an add-on for that called Ublock Origin, that seems to work very well. I'm not sure about other browsers, but I would guess they have something similar available. If you're running Firefox, then you can get Ublock Origin by going to the "Tools", then "Add-ons" options in the menu, then clicking on add-ons at the left and search for add-ons. It blocks a LOT of stuff, for example on this page it's blocked 14 requests to other web sites for data, which will mostly have been advertising content.

If the ads went back to being just at the top/bottom of the page, and didn't have the massive impact they are having now, I'd accept them as one of the necessities to fund this forum, but they are so intrusive that I think an ad-blocker is really the only way to use PPRuNe now, especially if you don't have a very fast broadband connection.

oldairphot
26th Apr 2018, 11:37
I don't think whoever designed this new look is all that computer literate

Tankertrashnav
26th Apr 2018, 11:49
VP 959 - thanks. "Running" Firefox - does running mean what browser am I using? (Told you I wasn't computer literate!). If so it is Chrome in my case, so I'll see what I can do there. My internet connection is rubbish by the way - fibre optic unavailable according to BT Openreach, even though the bloke who lives less that a 100 yards down the road from me has it!

mikemmb
26th Apr 2018, 11:50
It has obviously been developed by a web designer who cannot see beyond their gigantic computer connected to a maga fast internet!

So they pile in all the bells, whistles and flashing lights they can.

But in the real world we get slow loading and constant crashes!

VP959
26th Apr 2018, 11:56
VP 959 - thanks. "Running" Firefox - does running mean what browser am I using? (Told you I wasn't computer literate!). If so it is Chrome in my case, so I'll see what I can do there. My internet connection is rubbish by the way - fibre optic unavailable according to BT Openreach, even though the bloke who lives less that a 100 yards down the road from me has it!

Looks like just adding this to Chrome should do the job: https://adblockplus.org/en/chrome

Your slow connection is probably the cause of the problems, as the new ad system since the upgrade here seems to use a great deal of bandwidth and really slows things down a lot.

RAT 5
26th Apr 2018, 12:11
Why does the new Prune look like Ryanair?

Blacksheep
26th Apr 2018, 13:29
Being as I’m only 70 years old and a member of the iPhone/iPad generation, I like it on my mobile devices but hate it on my Microshaft office PC and my home desktop iMac.

Danny42C
26th Apr 2018, 14:02
RadarContactLost (#28),

Nothing to do with poor Danny! I'm suffering more than most - you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

WHEN IT'S NOT NECESSARY TO CHANGE, IT'S NECESSARY NOT TO CHANGE. CHANGE FOR ITS OWN SAKE IS NEVER JUSTIFIED.

Used to be a "Page" bar with a little box at the end, tap that and you got "Go to Page". Where the the hell is it now? EDIT: Found it now - sorry !

What loon thought this lot up? Who let him out? Have pity on my grey hairs. Lord!

Danny.

cavortingcheetah
26th Apr 2018, 14:08
I wonder whether, as a gesture of magnanimity towards its long suffering and labouring pilot classes, the pprunic powers that be would consider an unbanning of everyone who had ever been banned over the many years of the site. Wouldn't that be absolutely spiffing and a fine way to start the Pprune new year!

ExXB
26th Apr 2018, 14:40
I use adblockers but had whitelisted PPRuNe. I’ve had to remove that to get it working again for me. I’ve disabled the Infinate Scroll as well. Disabled should be the default setting.

I’ll wait for the next version before commenting further.

obgraham
26th Apr 2018, 16:49
I. managed okay with my desktop when this new design started, but my iPad was unusable, due to the many floating ads blocking the screen.

However, just now installed “Adblock plus for the iPad” and that has taken care of the ads.

ZOOKER
26th Apr 2018, 17:04
RAT 5 has pointed out that PPRuNe now looks like "Europe's favourite airline".

This is my first attempt to upload an image, using the new system. Seems to work O.K.

Tankertrashnav
26th Apr 2018, 17:42
Looks like just adding this to Chrome should do the job: https://adblockplus.org/en/chrome

Blimey VP 959, that took me less than a minute to do and it works perfectly

Talking about ads, for those of a certain age - "Hold it up to the light - not an ad in sight!"

Eternally grateful!

Fareastdriver
26th Apr 2018, 17:45
You will find that when you go on to some sites you will get a small window where they are bleating about you having Adblock.

Just close the window.

Brian W May
26th Apr 2018, 18:41

Yep, it's appalling and I might well depart the fix too. Prune is so far past its sell-by date (he did).

I only come back to watch folks arguing over the same things, getting irate and getting banned . . .

VP959
26th Apr 2018, 18:48
Blimey VP 959, that took me less than a minute to do and it works perfectly

Talking about ads, for those of a certain age - "Hold it up to the light - not an ad in sight!"

Eternally grateful!

Glad it worked OK, as mentioned by Fareastdriver, some sites may well bleat about ads being blocked, but there should be an option to just unblock ads for that site if they do.

TBH, I don't feel that comfortable about blocking ads here, as the forum has to be paid for somehow, but the latest "update" has really forced the use of an adblocker on anyone who doesn't have a fast enough broadband connection, in my view. I didn't mind the ads on the old forum, as they didn't seem to make things grind to a halt the way they do now.

mikemmb
26th Apr 2018, 18:54
Is there a techie around who can please post a sticky describing all the things we can do to make the new layout workable the real world?

There are snipets around about changes we can make to the Settings to ease the problems, plus talk of different browsers and adblockers etc etc.

Would be such a shame if people give up on it.

West Coast
26th Apr 2018, 18:57
Pilots aren't happy unless they have something to bitch about. A couple month, if even that long and all will be fine again

If it's simply too much to handle, you should ask for your money back.

flash8
26th Apr 2018, 19:20
It looks terrible, but I guess its because we have been used to the same old style for many years... it's a bit like your wife/girlfriend coming back with a radical new hairstyle to look "trendy".

Progress... makes me feel old.

G-CPTN
26th Apr 2018, 20:08
I have a new (from me) criticism of the new format.
I sneezed whilst browsing on my PC and found myself several days back - the 'single page' format now has all posts on the same page - and it took too long to find my place again - so I am now voting to return to the previous format.

So, we have many members now installing ad-blockers and others being irritated by the foibles of the new format and threatening to leave - well done guys - that should kill the site . . .

unclenelli
26th Apr 2018, 20:34
It's all very well until you find yourself at RAF Nowhere, where the best chance of a signal is a 9600 dial-up!
Laptop connected to an old Nokia which can just about achieve a signal to the iWinterverse, but a signal it can!
Wi-fi either non-existant/only feasible to perma-staff due to extortionate rates, no 3G/4G signal, little or no 2G!
Only 1G exists, GPRS if you're lucky!

The RAF has had a habit of building airfields in remote locations (who would have thunk it!), where the population concentration fails to reach the criteria for ISPs to upgrade infrastructure!

Many websites have upgraded to unsupportable level of connectivity and failed to maintain their legacy dial-up pages - Forget java pic that slide-swipe out, auto-starting videos in a pop-up window bottom right, just maintain the basic level and click & read, with additional gucci stuff if clicked on!
We've all seen bog-standard sites, like BBC, other news, even milFLIP, decide to no longer support older OS/Browsers!
Is Pprune now to join this list of non-supporters?????

Private jet
26th Apr 2018, 21:40
Works fine for me (on a laptop) and looks better too. It's a bit ironic that aviation used to be the fastest paced, cutting edge of all industries, but most of the "contributors" to JB are anything but.

troppo
26th Apr 2018, 22:42
I assume most of the whingers never got over Windows XP either :}
Just treat it like a new girlfriend. After you have used it a few times everything starts to get better

Tankertrashnav
27th Apr 2018, 00:55
Works fine for me (on a laptop) and looks better too. It's a bit ironic that aviation used to be the fastest paced, cutting edge of all industries, but most of the "contributors" to JB are anything but.
Well bully for you Private Jet and Troppo, works for me so the rest of you can sod off, is that it? Like unclenelli pointed out, some of us have internet connections which are far from "cutting edge" (1 meg if I'm lucky, with no hope of an improvement any time soon, unless I move house) In my case the plethora of ads downloading slowed the site up so much that it was virtually unusable. Sorry I wont be chipping in to keep PPRuNe in advertising revenue, but it looks like I'm not the only one.

Tarq57
27th Apr 2018, 02:26
The only problem I've noticed with it is when scrolling to the top of the page, which might be necessary for a number of reasons, as the top of the page approaches, it 'bounces' back down to mid or lower page.

Quite irritating.
Don't care about the appearance.

Lantern10
27th Apr 2018, 03:01
I can go to "First unread post" on my works PC

Danny42C
27th Apr 2018, 19:44
evanelpus (#22),

Danny has a cast-iron stomach, but agree it's needed as we watch this dog's dinner that once was Pprune.

Danny.

goudie
27th Apr 2018, 19:53
I don’t have the ads problem as some people do but I find the posts do bounce about. There doesn’t seem to be a break in the pages. I used to look forward to seeing the friendly and familiar format of pprune but it does seem rather alien now and appears to have alienated many users. Progress?

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
27th Apr 2018, 20:03
Is anyone else having problems seeing photos ? I can't see any since the new format was introduced. Is there a setting that needs changing on my whizzbox ?

NEO

IBobi
27th Apr 2018, 20:18
Is anyone else having problems seeing photos ? I can't see any since the new format was introduced. Is there a setting that needs changing on my whizzbox ?

NEO

Can you post a link to a post where you are not seeing photos?

Fareastdriver
27th Apr 2018, 20:28
Why is it that when I am on an Aircrew Forum, ie. Rotorheads and Military Aviation I can scroll down and find the old Forum Jump box; which works fine but not on other threads..

IBobi
27th Apr 2018, 20:40
Why is it that when I am on an Aircrew Forum, ie. Rotorheads and Military Aviation I can scroll down and find the old Forum Jump box; which works fine but not on other threads..
Have you turned off infinite scroll in your settings?

RAT 5
27th Apr 2018, 20:42
There is some strange tweak that seems to work like this. If you open a Forum and don't open a thread you'll find the jump box available at the bottom. If you open a thread then you have to go back to the forum home page and then scroll down for the jump box. Just another reason this change is not an improvement; far from it.

IBobi
27th Apr 2018, 20:44
There is some strange tweak that seems to work like this. If you open a Forum and don't open a thread you'll find the jump box available at the bottom. If you open a thread then you have to go back to the forum home page and then scroll down for the jump box. Just another reason this change is not an improvement; far from it.
If you scroll down inside a thread, do you not see "forum jump" in the lower right? Click it...

llondel
27th Apr 2018, 21:35
I assume most of the whingers never got over Windows XP either :}

I run a thing called Classic Shell on newer versions of Windows, makes them look more like the older ones :-)

Mr Optimistic
27th Apr 2018, 21:41
Half finished? Blue theme a bit cold but clashes with the yellow bits they've left.

Highway1
27th Apr 2018, 22:46

'Forum Jump' is there for me within threads.

Tarq57
28th Apr 2018, 07:14
'Forum Jump' is there for me within threads.

Not for me.

VP959
28th Apr 2018, 07:57
I run a thing called Classic Shell on newer versions of Windows, makes them look more like the older ones :-)

I'm currently viewing this on one of my machines that run Linux, and frankly the forum looks pretty much the same now on both Linux and Windows, both using Firefox as the browser. FWIW, there is a version of Linux (Zorin) that looks and works pretty much like Windows XP if anyone really hankers after that antique look! I don't run it, but a friend who does even runs older (Windows) versions of Microsoft Office on it without problems, apparently.

It seems a fair bit has been done to remove some of the major issues from earlier in the week, when it looked OK on a Linux machine but not so good on anything else. Changing the default style and turning off infinite scroll made the biggest visual changes, and using an adblocker has fixed all the very slow page load times and some of the overlapping graphics problems.

Fareastdriver
28th Apr 2018, 09:12
Have you turned off infinite scroll in your settings?

Instructions, please.

VP959
28th Apr 2018, 09:25
Instructions, please.

There are some instructions here: https://www.pprune.org/pprune-problems-queries/608154-how-disable-infinite-scroll-return-old-pagination-style.html#post10129337

ExSp33db1rd
28th Apr 2018, 10:13
Found that, but why was I in Infinite Scroll anyway ? I never even knew it existed, and certainly didn't ask for it. Why should one have to check ones profile all the time?

Fareastdriver
28th Apr 2018, 10:27
A quicker way:

Go up to User CP.
Scroll down to Edit Options
Edit the Scroll function.
Continue to Miscellaneous Options
Change the Forum Skin to PPrune NG

This is as close as you can get to the old format.

VP959
28th Apr 2018, 10:36
Found that, but why was I in Infinite Scroll anyway ? I never even knew it existed, and certainly didn't ask for it. Why should one have to check ones profile all the time?

I've no idea, I just assumed it was something that was introduced with the update and was, by default, turned on.

I just wish I could find a fix for the text size issues and the lack of contrast. The texts in posts seems smaller than it used to be, and the contrast isn't great. Must be a bit of a pain for those with less than perfect near vision eyesight.

Fareastdriver
28th Apr 2018, 11:35
If you don't like yellow go to the bottom left hand of this page on change it to Default Style and the page will be predominately blue.

Not only that you will get the Forum Jump box at the bottom of the page.

That, plus Adblock, almost brings it back to the original.

Pinky the pilot
28th Apr 2018, 12:07
If you don't like yellow go to the bottom left hand of this page on change it to Default Style and the page will be predominately blue.

Not only that you will get the Forum Jump box at the bottom of the page.

That, plus Adblock, almost brings it back to the original.

As I have found. But how do we get rid of the blank right hand side? On my computer this causes some Ppruners to have their names cut up a bit, such as.... Nigerian Expat O
utlaw
If there was an option available which enabled a return to the original format, I'd grab it!

Danny42C
28th Apr 2018, 12:25
VP959 (#51) said:

:Looks like just adding this to Chrome should do the job: https://adblockplus.org/en/chrome till (https://adblockplus.org/en/chrome)

Now just zoom in till the picture fills the screen, and it's nearly as good as old times (the print is a bit big, but that's all to the good for folk of my age).

But - why is the top of my "Quick Reply" cut off ? Assuming it has been this time, thank you, VP959 (#51), for the tip and link.

And why can't i "blue-box" the quote ?

Danny.

Yamagata ken
28th Apr 2018, 13:31
I rather like the new appearance. White, yellow and blue, looks very clean to me. Haven't tested the new functionality yet. You'll all have to wait. :)

Mad Monk
28th Apr 2018, 17:24
I find the new look very clean, although I would prefer a 20 % grey background.

IcePack
28th Apr 2018, 17:26
Anyone else getting several page re-loads due to faults? iPhone 7+. The adverts are also very intrusive, moving themselves into a position that covers the text one is trying to read.

G-CPTN
28th Apr 2018, 17:31
One facet that I have experienced is the 'Quick reply' text remains after the reply has been posted - with the possibility of instructing a double post.
PC W8 Opera.

Fareastdriver
28th Apr 2018, 20:35
I've gone to Default style. Selectable at the bottom left hand of the page. This, coupled with nullifying infinite scroll and Adblock gives me blue pages titled V Bulletin. This is as near as damnit to the original.

Bull at a Gate
29th Apr 2018, 00:11
How are you all getting some yellow? Mine is a combination of a very dull blue and an even duller grey.

Winemaker
29th Apr 2018, 00:14
I like the scrolling. The yellow 'Go' button could use a color change, as could the yellow page numbers, or maybe change the color of the text to make it more legible, but it's easier to use when reading a thread. All in all an improvement, IMHO.

Ogre
29th Apr 2018, 00:17
I keep getting confused when I get to the end of the thread. If I scroll up using I don't get to the top of the page as it rolls over to the end of the last page. As the menu bar is not static on the page and there is no option at the bottom of the page to go back to the forum level menu I end up scrolling back through umpteen pages until I can catch the elusive top menu.

Can we select the top menu to be permanently displayed?

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
29th Apr 2018, 00:28
I don't like it. The old version was clunky enough on my tablet. This one is almost unusable. I too am experiencing almost all the issues noted in the preceding posts. I imagine someone somewhere has an improvement to justify the change.

cattletruck
29th Apr 2018, 03:10
I hate them "scroll with you" headers and footers, they seem to be designed for personal devices, perhaps their is an option to turn them off.

In fact, perhaps there are options to dumb down the whole site completely, simple low tech is fine by me, after all we are only posting and reading text.

obgraham
29th Apr 2018, 04:10
How are you all getting some yellow? Mine is a combination of a very dull blue and an even duller grey.
Down at bottom left, choose “ppruneNG” instead of “default”

crippen
29th Apr 2018, 06:13
a windows 10 update,a new google chrome and a new Pprune system all in the same weekend created absolute chaos here. It has taken a week to sort the resultance chaos out.:ouch:

Bull at a Gate
29th Apr 2018, 08:00
Thanks OB. Got it now. Much nicer.

rogerg
29th Apr 2018, 10:23
Is there anyway I can get rid of the "only secure content is displayed" notice seems to pop up whatever I do.
Thanks

Fareastdriver
29th Apr 2018, 10:47
Down at bottom left, choose “ppruneNG” instead of “default”

That should do it.

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Apr 2018, 13:09
Is there anyway I can get rid of the "only secure content is displayed" notice seems to pop up whatever I do.
Thanks
You can probably turn it off in your browser, but as this message indicates a broken, buggy and potentially dangerous web site I wouldn't advise it.

rogerg
29th Apr 2018, 13:18
(You can probably turn it off in your browser, but as this message indicates a broken, buggy and potentially dangerous web site I wouldn't advise it). This message only turns up on pprune pages and yes I am using pprune NG. Also I cant find the "quote" button.
Thanks. I did use the "Quote message in reply" but some times you just want part of a message.

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Apr 2018, 14:09
This message only turns up on pprune pages
Well, it'll turn up on any broken web site with the same sort of bug, but most people manage to fix theirs so I don't see it very often except on PPRuNe.

VP959
29th Apr 2018, 14:49
To be fair, it looks like the "only secure content is displayed" message is being triggered by some of the advert links not using https, so the content from that link will not be encrypted, not PPRuNe itself, which is using https.

A quick look through the code for this page shows that several of the external links that are being called are http, not https, and all these seem to be ad servers AFAICS. Most modern browsers are set to either automatically use the https version of any link, if it's available, or flag up a warning that some content may not be secure because there is no https encrypted version of a site that is being called.

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Apr 2018, 15:01
To be fair, it looks like the "only secure content is displayed" message is being triggered by some of the advert links not using https, so the content from that link will not be encrypted, not PPRuNe itself, which is using https.

A quick look through the code for this page shows that several of the external links that are being called are http, not https, and all these seem to be ad servers AFAICS. Most modern browsers are set to either automatically use the https version of any link, if it's available, or flag up a warning that some content may not be secure because there is no https encrypted version of a site that is being called.
Yes, I know all that. Whether this is because at third or fourth hand some of the ad networks are trying, and failing, to infect you with malware is the next question, whose answer I do not propose to research by clicking through the warning or turning off the feature. If the browser is refusing to download some stuff from ad servers that's fine by me, I didn't want any of it in the first place.

VP959
29th Apr 2018, 15:16
Yes, I know all that. Whether this is because at third or fourth hand some of the ad networks are trying, and failing, to infect you with malware is the next question, whose answer I do not propose to research by clicking through the warning or turning off the feature. If the browser is refusing to download some stuff from ad servers that's fine by me, I didn't want any of it in the first place.

I agree with you, but as you know there are a lot of sites that haven't yet got around to getting a security certificate, my own (hobby only) website included. I agree that I don't much like the idea of PPRuNe trying to link to, and load code from, an insecure website, especially from an ad server, as there is no telling what it might contain.

RAT 5
29th Apr 2018, 15:48
Can someone explain the Prune 'Search' function, or lack of. I know on Jet Blast there is a thread called "Formula 1". It did not appear on page 1 or 2. After todays GP I wanted to see if it was still active. Simple solution: enter Formula 1 in the search box. I got everything but........I eventually found it on page 3, dormant. I could not have been more accurate with my search title entry and more unsuccessful with the results. And it's not the only time. The threads that came up on my search had no connection by subject nor text to Formula 1. So just how is it supposed to work as a search engine?

VP959
29th Apr 2018, 16:09
Can someone explain the Prune 'Search' function, or lack of. I know on Jet Blast there is a thread called "Formula 1". It did not appear on page 1 or 2. After todays GP I wanted to see if it was still active. Simple solution: enter Formula 1 in the search box. I got everything but........I eventually found it on page 3, dormant. I could not have been more accurate with my search title entry and more unsuccessful with the results. And it's not the only time. The threads that came up on my search had no connection by subject nor text to Formula 1. So just how is it supposed to work as a search engine?

VBulletin (the software this forum runs on), like some other forum software, doesn't have a great search engine. The way I find stuff on forums (generally, PPRuNe is no better or worse than others, I think) is to use the site-specific search capability of most normal search engines. If you type your search, say "Formula 1" into your favourite search engine, and then add this text after it site:pprune.org/ you should find that your search engine will only return hits from PPRuNe.

G-CPTN
29th Apr 2018, 16:21
As far as searching within PPRuNe is concerned, you can give too much information - I would restrict it to 'formula' and not include other digits - as the search will include (in this case the '1') and return threads with that content as well as those with 'formula'.

stevef
29th Apr 2018, 21:02
Must say that I'm not impressed with the changes but I suppose I'll get used to them. Right now though, my biggest gripe is that the contrast is very hard on the eyes. I much prefer the perfectly serviceable prior format.

RAT 5
30th Apr 2018, 10:08
The loading speed is very slow. You select a thread to view and it takes a long time to load the whole page. The page sequence used to be at the top and bottom of all pages so you could navigate back & forth within the thread. That has gone. You now have to go back to the home page of the forum to get the page sequence.

Fareastdriver
30th Apr 2018, 14:08
Down at bottom left, choose “ppruneNG”

belfrybat
30th Apr 2018, 14:42
Chrome on Android 5, no link (button) to first unread in the thread list. Two-step workaround is to tap the thread title and on the first page tap "View first unread".

Kiltrash
30th Apr 2018, 16:01
Thanks VP959, I run Firefox and that has got rid of adverts
Kiltrash

Brian W May
1st May 2018, 09:47
On balance I think I shall leave.

Prune has changed so much since I started all those years ago, and I haven't. Don't like it and will vote with my feet.

cattletruck
1st May 2018, 11:08
Currently logged in users never used to be visible when browsing the site without logging in. Not so much an issue with us nom-de-plume users but it can be for others using their real names.

The "Post reply" button is at the top of the thread rather than the bottom. I really don't know if the "Reply" button on the last post in a thread is the same thing, but I may just want to say something new and find I need to scroll back to the top of the thread to access the "Post reply" button.

Please bring back the straw coloured background, I really do find it easier on the eyes.

Oh yeah, and it looks like the site has gone gay with the quick reply ribbon reading Bi USA.

CargoMatatu
2nd May 2018, 08:47
I used to be on the site 5 or 6 times a day.
I now find myself logging in 2 or 3 times a week, and even then only reluctantly.

cattletruck
2nd May 2018, 10:15
Ahhh, thine eyes thank you for the return of the straw coloured background.

ExXB
2nd May 2018, 11:53
How can something be nextgen and classic at the same time? (Quick style chooser bottom left corner)

k3k3
2nd May 2018, 13:25
Things I don't like about it:

1. Jerkiness, when I scroll I have to wait, then the page moves, and then I can try again and again to get to where I want to be.

2. The floating transparent PPRuNe banner that comes and goes seemingly at random.

3. The empty 20% of the screen on the right.

4. The way the forum/topic select option at the top of the screen is not consistently there when I scroll upwards, I end up scrolling, scrolling, and then clicking on the go back one page arrow.

5. Did I mention the jerkiness?

I wonder how much trade the owners have lost through this "upgrade", previously the front page of Jet Blast had nothing more than about a day old on it, the bottom post on the front page now is over three days old.

Bergerie1
2nd May 2018, 15:26
k3k3,

Good list - I whileheartedly agree, especially over the jerkiness. Would Mods please note these complaints and ask for them to be fixed.

One Outsider
2nd May 2018, 15:34
I can't even remember what the old pages looked like.

Thomas coupling
2nd May 2018, 16:16
It looks "busy". Some applications are not user friendly. If you attach a lik, it keeps you in 'link' mode until you click all over the page to get back to writing your messag

Mad Monk
2nd May 2018, 19:26
I have no problems with 'Jerkiness' or anything else with the new forum display, running a 2010 Mac desktop and 2015 MacBook Pro.

fleigle
3rd May 2018, 01:32
Well the ads are annoying and I definitely NEVER click on any of them, or will buy anything from them, so their linked advertising is a waste of time, unless their metric is the no. of users on board.
f

ICM
3rd May 2018, 12:52
Like so many others, I agree that the ads have become much more annoying. But worse in my case has been the effect of the new site that, on several days, has somehow interacted with the Chrome browser on my iMac to wreck the picture configuration and blank the Status/Menu bar. This hasn't happened with any other site and it has meant my having to use the last-ditch power switch computer shutdown method to get out and start again. Things appear to be stable using Safari, however - but it looks as if I will be visiting much less often in future.

Donkey497
3rd May 2018, 22:40
The ads I can live with. It pays for the site - presumably someone must have plenty of money to fritter away on trading gold, oil, shares and foreign exchange between reading and posting on Pprune.
What's yanking my chain so far is the way that the pages seem to randomly decide that you need to see the previous page or the next page and proceed to load it and stretch the page when you're only trying to scroll up or down to the next post.

G-CPTN
3rd May 2018, 22:45
someone must have plenty of money to fritter away on trading gold, oil, shares and foreign exchange between reading and posting on Pprune.
Has it not occurred to you that the adverts that you see might be unique to you - and chosen from your earlier responses?

funfly
4th May 2018, 21:24
I've given it a good try and i don't like it, everything seems to take longer.
I find in practice that i cant be assed to look at it very often.
Ff

VP959
4th May 2018, 21:30
It's just gone bonkers on me and is reverting to the brash mobile style, even on my laptop. It was OK earlier this evening, but something seems to have broken (again.....) in the past hour. I was logged on from this machine shortly after 20:00 and all was fine, now it's garbage again, and changing the settings has no effect at all on the appearance - it's gone back to being virtually unusable.

gemma10
5th May 2018, 07:41
Very very jerky on Firefox and hopeless on Opera. As for trying to use it on my iphone-impossible. Thin I will opt out unless it improves.

One Outsider
5th May 2018, 16:26
Here it loads fast and runs smoothly whether using Firefox, Chrome or a 5 year old Android phone. Maybe some has problems or maybe some has an agenda.

Loose rivets
6th May 2018, 00:07
This is a test ------ this is me doing more testing. Wibble. why is it not creating a backup?

OFFS! That was the only good thing about the new format. One has lost work in the past, and by work, I mean 500 words of . . . Oh, it just said, Archived.

Hooooooooooooray!

Now, how do I recover from lost work?

Out Of Trim
8th May 2018, 19:58
Wow, just seen the site on my iPad with all the intrusive adverts! :yuk:

They were all over the place. The worst ones were on the right-hand margin which moved left over the text you were trying to read. I just gave up at that point. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

If I did not have an Ad blocker on my Laptop I would be gone! :mad:

ExXB
9th May 2018, 08:29

They were all over the place. The worst ones were on the right-hand margin which moved left over the text you were trying to read. I just gave up at that point. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Check out the app Purify. There are others but this one works on my iPad. Using this you can whitelist sites that have user friendly ads.

obgraham
9th May 2018, 18:17

Get the AdBlocker version for the iPad. Works great.

Out Of Trim
10th May 2018, 21:52
Get the AdBlocker version for the iPad. Works great.

Unable unfortunately. None of those I've looked at in the App Store will run on an iPad 3 it would appear. :eek:

Out Of Trim
10th May 2018, 22:17
Yes!

Just found Dolphin Browser has an inbuilt Ad Blocker.

All good now. :ok:

Krystal n chips
13th May 2018, 07:16
Out of interest, I've just had a "page cannot be displayed " message and a caption from Norton saying an attack on my PC has been blocked with a red "High" risk on the details of the attack.

A lot of teccie detail, which I freely admit I don't understand, but the term malvertisement was mentioned.

jindabyne
13th May 2018, 13:22
Just installed the AD Blocker for Internet Explorer (from Google) on my ageing PC - everything now works fine, including no jerkiness.

goudie
14th May 2018, 10:59
Hmm. I installed AdBlock and it works ok but still the pages return to earlier posts, sometimes to a month or more, so I have to scroll through to the latest one.

Danny42C
14th May 2018, 12:50
Humble Pie Eating.

Moaned as loudly as anyone at first, old dog all at sea with new tricks and all that, but must admit that once you get an adblocker, it's not at all bad. Particularly like the pagefinder at the bottom of the screen. Only have Windows 7 and Google Chrome and know nowt about I.T.

Out Of Trim
14th May 2018, 19:38
Well done Danny, you're doing just fine!

Dutystude
14th May 2018, 20:31
I only ever use my IPad or iPhone. The Ads don’t bother me that much and I am coming to terms with the new format.

Mostly, though, I feel it a bit un-generous to look this ‘gift-horse’ in the mouth.

Gertrude the Wombat
14th May 2018, 23:13
Particularly like the pagefinder at the bottom of the screen.
Pity about the forum jump though - on some pages it's always at the bottom of the screen, on some pages you have to scroll down to make it appear (like the previous version), and on some pages (like this one) it doesn't appear to be there at all.

Jhieminga
15th May 2018, 10:08
I find that I often use(d) the 'forum jump' feature to get back to the main page of a forum. Say I'm reading this thread in Jet Blast. I get to the bottom of the thread and just click 'go' to get back to the main page of Jet Blast. The current forum jump won't let me do that, it sees that I'm already in Jet Blast and will only let me jump to a different forum, but that's not what I want. The 'go' button doesn't help either as that is linked to the pagination. I guess I should use the breadcrumb feature for this from now on, but it will take some getting used to.

Loose rivets
15th May 2018, 10:22
Is the intention to deduct clearly shown prior to refuelling? If not, I'd tell Barclays it was an unauthorised deduction. I'm one of their earliest Visa customers and they used to take notice of things I said. Probably I'd end up talking to the grandchildren of the people that used to be nice.

No, what I wrote was:

Is the intention to deduct clearly shown prior to refuelling? If not, I'd tell Barclays it was an unauthorised deduction.
I'm one of their earliest Visa customers and they used to take notice of things I said. Probably I'd end up talking to the grandchildren of the people that used to be nice.

I take quite a while laying out a page. Surely it can't cost a lot to have paragraph breaks.

megan
16th May 2018, 02:01
What's with the circular rotating arrow at the bottom of some pages?

IBobi
16th May 2018, 02:08
What's with the circular rotating arrow at the bottom of some pages?
That's more posts loading through Infinite Scroll.

To turn off IS, go to UserCP, Edit Options, Disable Infinite Scroll, SAVE.

Pinky the pilot
16th May 2018, 06:56
Another problem I have is that when first logging onto the site, everything comes up ok but I have to wait for around 15 seconds before I can select a thread to read or scroll down the index. The site seemingly freezes for about that time.

And as I have an Adblocker, I still have that annoying blank right hand side of the screen. Which truncates some fellow Ppruners handles a bit.

At least it's a bit easier on the eye after changing the background colour and disabling that (most annoying) infinite scroll!

ExXB
16th May 2018, 07:22
.Disable infinite scroll

Solution to many problems.

To turn off IS, go to UserCP, Edit Options, Disable Infinite Scroll, SAVE.

WE Branch Fanatic
21st May 2018, 13:55
.Disable infinite scroll

Solution to many problems.

Agree - but some of us have cause to check PPRuNe when out and about, without logging in. Infinite scroll makes it hard to use, and it must be the same for guests on the site.

Mods/Admins - make it so! Surely more page views = more advertising revenue?

CargoMatatu
22nd May 2018, 11:09
Getting rid of Infinite Scroll has made it more acceptable again.

ExXB
22nd May 2018, 12:27
IMHO Infinite scroll turned off should be the default setting.

MPN11
24th May 2018, 19:25
I assure you it’s infintely better than the on-going mess Internet Brands have made of flyertalk.com ... and IBobi is the Administrator for both websites. FT is on 54 Thread pages and still going,,

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1900802-feedback-ft-new-style-march-2018-a.html

Carbon Bootprint
24th May 2018, 20:01
I assure you it’s infintely better than the on-going mess Internet Brands have made of flyertalk.com ... and IBobi is the Administrator for both websites. FT is on 54 Thread pages and still going,,

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/technical-support-feedback/1900802-feedback-ft-new-style-march-2018-a.html
I just went to FlyerTalk for the first time since the "upgrade" there and agree that's it's a dog's breakfast. Thanks for posting out how to find the feedback page there, as I couldn't find a damn thing I was looking for. I only started searching for the feedback page since I was thwarted in every attempt to find the travel information I had been seeking -- but I had no better success with that.

G-CPTN
29th May 2018, 20:20
Anyone else getting 'Database error' or something similar - or a number with 'unknown fault' (570?)

or is it just me? Seems to persist for several minutes.

Sometimes I can access pprune.org but not any threads.

IBobi
29th May 2018, 20:36
Anyone else getting 'Database error' or something similar - or a number with 'unknown fault' (570?)

or is it just me? Seems to persist for several minutes.

Sometimes I can access pprune.org but not any threads.
Yes, we had a temporary glitch. Should be fine now.

treadigraph
29th May 2018, 20:53
I've had database errors quite a few times over the past several days but they usually clear after some minutes.