PDA

View Full Version : FAA restriction for JAA ab-initio's???

FRIDAY
23rd Jul 2002, 18:56
Would I be right in saying the the latest restriction on icao ppl licence holders wishing to gain faa ppl is of relevance to only those people already holding the licence?
In my case I wish to under-go training from scratch in the US with one of the FTO's who offer JAA licence's (EFT).
Provided I have the correct visa's I should have no problems????
ALL comments are very much appreciated.:(

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Jul 2002, 20:27
FRIDAY,

You are correct. If order to come train in the U.S.A. for a JAA (or FAA) PPL you will need to be on the correct Visa. In your case a M-1 Visa will be all you will need.

Happy Flying,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

FRIDAY
23rd Jul 2002, 20:54
Thanks Richard.
Can you tell me in relation to the other point, about the new restictions on FAA ppl's for foreign ppl holders. Does it apply for people starting from scratch or just does already holding the license.
I don't have the exact details but I am refering to the ability for foreign icao ppl license holders to gain a FAA ppl on top of there existing one.
:confused:

Naples Air Center, Inc.
23rd Jul 2002, 22:22
FRIDAY,

Currently anyone that wants to fly N Reg Aircraft in the U.S.A. and has an FAA Licence issued on the basis of their European Licence is fine, but they cannot add any new ratings to the Restricted PPL.

For pilots looking to fly N Reg Aircraft in the U.S.A. that do not have an FAA Licence issued on the basis of their European Licence will need to get an unrestricted FAA Licence. Fortunately, the flight requirements for the FAA PPL are similar to the JAA PPL. In most cases anyone coming over to fly will need to take the FAA Written Exam, which can be done prior to coming over to the U.S.A., and then have an instructor give 3 hours of instruction in prep for the PPL followed by the checkride.

From my experience, most pilots average 2-4 hours with an instructor to feel comfortable flying in U.S. controlled airspace. Therefore this rule is just adding a written and a glorified Flight Review, i.e. Checkride and gives the pilot a full FAA PPL with all its privileges.

Take Care,

Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.
Naples Air Center, Inc.

GonvilleBromhead
24th Jul 2002, 07:16
Ah, that's a bit clearer (I think), thanks Richard.

So the new regs do not in effect mean that we (JAA PPL's) who wish to hour build Stateside have to undergo the whole FAA PPL syllabus ?

Rather it's a more formal way of doing what most JAA pilots do anyway re: US familiarisation for no more than 3 to 4 hours plus a written ?

Have I got that right ?

cheers.

edit: just re-read your post Richard and it's quite obvious really, still, after a fairly heavy night and not much sleep, brain's not woken up yet.