PDA

View Full Version : Small aircraft CO2 emissions

rjafonso
24th Apr 2018, 16:42
Hello, sorry if this is not the best category to post this question, but was not sure where to place it.
Does anyone know how to estimate CO2 emissions from small twin engine 5/6 seats aircraft?
For simplicity lets just consider emissions per hour during flight... not considering take off, landing, maneuvering, taxiing!
Thank you

Australopithecus
25th Apr 2018, 22:15
Hello, sorry if this is not the best category to post this question, but was not sure where to place it.
Does anyone know how to estimate CO2 emissions from small twin engine 5/6 seats aircraft?
For simplicity lets just consider emissions per hour during flight... not considering take off, landing, maneuvering, taxiing!
Thank you

A typical small twin fuel consumption is in the range of 100-110 litres/hr. Google tells me that one litre of gasoline produces 2.3 kg CO2.

rjafonso
25th Apr 2018, 22:33
Hello, that was very helpfull.
I also found this information based on your response

According to Energy Information Association of US, the emission coefficient of greenhouse gases for certain type of fuel is listed. Among the fuels which associated with aviation are:

Aviation Gasoline: 18.355 pounds CO2 per gallon or 2.199 kg CO2 per liter.
Jet Fuel: 21.095 pounds CO2 per gallon or 2.527 kg CO2 per liter.
Kerosene: 21.537 pounds CO2 per gallon or 2.580 kg CO2 per liter.

I was looking for this information at aircrafts engine specifications, namely Diamond DA62 wich refers to "The power-plant is controlled by an electronic engine control unit (EECU). The modern piston aircraft engines deliver better performance than conventional gasoline engines, and significantly reduce CO2 emissions and fuel consumption".

Thank you