PDA

View Full Version : Newton's third law

Lynx8
24th Apr 2018, 05:30
Newton's third law states: "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction".

If only such statement could be posted in every castle's offices would be a great success.

There was time we had a great airline in a city and an environment that was pretty OK to live and to save.

This is not a place where pilots with families can live anymore, it is pure surviving and no one came here to survive.

The action-reaction has still not been understood despite accidents named incidents, justifying the consequences of very expert pilots leaving replaced by non-so-expert cadets etc.

If they don't see the reality that is not our fault.

Please do not live in "The Truman Show" movie without realizing it.
If you are still surpriced-shocked about what will happen from May 1st it means you still have have no idea of what has been carefully pre-planned in details of the details.

Just realize that when they said "take it or leave it" they meant exactly that. Why they should mean something different?

Every one has his/her own reasons to stay or to leave, but do not express your sourness more than the necessary because you have been told many time that you are in "The Truman Show" reality documentary and you will never be nominated for any Academy Award actor/actress/family prize.

The Outlaw
24th Apr 2018, 05:48
Good point Lynx,

Its a different story for different people. Since EK hires from all around the globe they will always have a plentiful pool of pilots albeit maybe not with all the qualifications they want. I flew recently with a lot of pilots from South America who all like living and working in the UAE because its a safe place to live and raise kids which is a commonly heard statement from the South American's...can't argue that! For them the whole package including pay and roster is OK. For other's it's not the same story so it really is a "if you don't like it then leave" proposition. Certainly it would be a stretch to say EK is a career airline, perhaps in the past but not today.

Things will change...that is a sure constant around here, lets hope its sooner rather than later!

dustyflightdeck
24th Apr 2018, 06:55
Things probably will change eventually but the question is how bad will it get before that happens? How much am I willing to put up with? Once the contract ends, the rope will be shorter.....

donpizmeov
24th Apr 2018, 08:09
Dusty I think you are going through buyers regret. You got the shiny new car home from the lot, full of pride. Then a month later it's covered in mud, the wife has dinged the front fender, the kids have spewed on the back seat and the first payment is due.
The EK now is the same one you joined 2yrs ago. You just didn't see it as those jets were big and shiny. You probably saw some video showing an EK pilot kite surfing on one of his many hours off per month. But the word about EK has been on the streets for decades. That's why requirements were lowered to 2000hrs on a tonka jet, and those experienced wide bodied many thousand houred pilots stopped applying.
You made your decision to join, even with lots of real information available on how things were.
No-one is stopping you leaving. And no-one made you sign a bond which is for a period close to 20% of period you have existed (as happened to recent new joiner I have met, who is whinging after 9mths here). If you are going to hang around for the rest of your bond period, try and make the most of it. If you can't do that don't stay here and be miserable. Life is way to short for that, and this place is not worth the angst.

The Outlaw
24th Apr 2018, 08:27
Dusty I think you are going through buyers regret. You got the shiny new car home from the lot, full of pride. Then a month later it's covered in mud, the wife has dinged the front fender, the kids have spewed on the back seat and the first payment is due.
The EK now is the same one you joined 2yrs ago. You just didn't see it as those jets were big and shiny. You probably saw some video showing an EK pilot kite surfing on one of his many hours off per month. But the word about EK has been on the streets for decades. That's why requirements were lowered to 2000hrs on a tonka jet, and those experienced wide bodied many thousand houred pilots stopped applying.
You made your decision to join, even with lots of real information available on how things were.
No-one is stopping you leaving. And no-one made you sign a bond which is for a period close to 20% of period you have existed (as happened to recent new joiner I have met, who is whinging after 9mths here). If you are going to hang around for the rest of your bond period, try and make the most of it. If you can't do that don't stay here and be miserable. Life is way to short for that, and this place is not worth the angst.

Don,

I think its been that way for over 15 years. I never joined for the big jets but I did notice the first cracks about 5 month into the contract and found the honeymoon over at the 2-3 year mark...and that was 14 years ago. Once you are part of the big machine it becomes difficult to leave, bond. Kids in school, wife at the gym/beach club/costa...all the usual stereotypes! Admittedly it is easier to stay and be miserable as a result, resigning is a tough thing to do and raises a lot of doubt and questions but there does come a time to go and you know it when it comes.

I think a lot of people complain about it here but may not want, or be able to return to their homes. It doesn't make life any easier but there is not an easy exit plan for them either.

dustyflightdeck
24th Apr 2018, 09:41
I have been flying jets long enough now that the shiney syndrome is long gone. Never watched the recruitment videos... I came to EK to improve my family life and to that end it has worked. I was warned about EK, I read these topics and I accept responsibility for it. I don't regret joining and I won't leave before the 7yr mark. However flying rosters and pay aside, things like this alcohol tax raise serious concerns about Dubai and EK in general that I did not foresee or account for when joining. In that respect I don't think it is the same EK as 2 years ago, it is getting worse. But as you say, maybe it is the honeymoon period wearing off (I didn't realise I ever had one......) It is just sad to see what could be such a great place go so quickly down the drain over a few dirhams

donpizmeov
24th Apr 2018, 12:07
I think it was the pay neutral paycut in 2003 when we first started thinking the same. Those that joined in the 80s and 90s were saying it before then.