PDA

View Full Version : Has Cessna dropped the Skyhawk Diesel.

Ozgrade3
23rd Apr 2018, 10:11
All reference to the Diesel powered Skyhawk has dissapeared from Cessna or Textron websites over the last few days.

Anyone know what's happening?

ThreeThreeMike
7th May 2018, 04:19
That seems odd. There was a feature story about it in the March issue of Plane and Pilot. I wouldn't think Cessna would have cooperated with the magazine if they planned to kill it just a few months later.

The Skylane version, the 182 JT-A, was discontinued some time ago, but I thought the 172 would survive in the training market, particularly in Europe. That being said, I have no idea if the aircraft appeals to European operators. I'm just another uninformed American. :D

Ozgrade3
11th May 2018, 13:21
https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all-news/2018/may/09/cessna-discontinues-turbo-skyhawk-jt-a
Well we got our answer. Very sad news. Unless the entire GA market switches to Jet-A, it wont survive. Currently jet A is 60 cents per litre cheaper than Avgas. Avgas of any kind is too much of a nich product and companies won't want to refine it any more.
In any case it's no loss for flying schools as the Archer/Warrior is far more robust an airframe and is much better suited to ham fisted student pilots.