PDA

View Full Version : LH428 Returns to Munich after "Mysterious Stench"?

Mark in CA
23rd Apr 2018, 09:38
Bild and the Daily Star are reporting that LH428 from Munich to Charlotte declared an emergency at 30,000 ft. over Scotland on April 22, descended to 15,000 feet and eventually decided to return to Munich after "a brief, indefinable smell in the aircraft cabin," according to Bild.

I guess it wasn't anything serious, as I can find no other reports of this incident online. But I am curious if they ever determined what the scare was really about.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/697724/Lufthansa-Airbus-plane-flight-LH428-emergency-Glasgow-Scotland-Munich-Germany-Charlotte-US

https://www.bild.de/regional/muenchen/lufthansa/lufthansa-flugzeug-muenchen-charlotte-muss-umdrehen-55478518.bild.html

BRE
23rd Apr 2018, 09:45
Beeing discussed at Avherald. Folks are guessing that there was an electrical problem in one of the galleys, and of course, the smell disappeared when power to the galleys was turned off.

Nemrytter
23rd Apr 2018, 09:54
avherald managing to avoid blaming this on toxic fumes, for once.

Mark in CA
23rd Apr 2018, 09:58
Beeing discussed at Avherald. Folks are guessing that there was an electrical problem in one of the galleys, and of course, the smell disappeared when power to the galleys was turned off.

So the "mysterious stench" could just have been lunch?! :eek:

Snyggapa
23rd Apr 2018, 11:00
>So the "mysterious stench" could just have been lunch?!

probably not - the smell was listed as being "identifiable" :D

pilotmike
23rd Apr 2018, 11:39
probably not - the smell was listed as being "identifiable" :D

"a brief, indefinable smell in the aircraft cabin," according to Bild does NOT mean it was 'identifiable' as you have stated - quite the opposite in fact.:ugh:

Volume
23rd Apr 2018, 13:34
the smell was listed as being "identifiable"When did you find the food served on board "identifyable" for the last time ?

There recently has been a case where some cleaners used agressive substances to clean out the ovens, the residues caused havoc on board when heating them up the next flight. There are plenty of reasons why galleys develop a smell.

Snyggapa
23rd Apr 2018, 14:13
"a brief, indefinable smell in the aircraft cabin," according to Bild does NOT mean it was 'identifiable' as you have stated

ah, sorry, my brain read it as "identifiable" not "indefinable". mea culpa