PDA

View Full Version : How to change from TRE to SFE? Or Indeed TRI to SFI?

boris the b
22nd Apr 2018, 12:46
Life has thrown me a curve ball and I find myself without a valid medical, and as a result no job.....
:mad::mad::mad:

I used to be a TRE TRI on the S92 and am trying to get a definitive answer as to how to change to an SFI SFE.

Ive looked in CAP 804, SD 24H CAA and they don't mention how to do it?
:=

Anyone else been down this route and can offer any help?

Thanks in advance

Boris...

FloaterNorthWest
22nd Apr 2018, 14:26
Boris,

I guess you meet the below and are in the UK?

FCL.915.SFI SFI — Prerequisites

An applicant for an SFI certificate shall:
(a) hold or have held a CPL, MPL or ATPL in the appropriate aircraft category;
(b) have completed the proficiency check for the issue of the specific aircraft type rating in an FFS representing the applicable type, within the 12 months preceding the application; and

(e) additionally, for an SFI(H), have:
(1) completed, as a pilot or as an observer, at least 1 hour of flight time on the flight deck of the applicable type, within the 12 months preceding the application; and
(2) in the case of multi-pilot helicopters, at least 1 000 hours of flying experience as a pilot on helicopters, including at least 350 hours as a pilot on multi-pilot helicopters;
(3) in the case of single-pilot multi-engine helicopters, completed 500 hours as pilot of helicopters, including 100 hours as PIC on single-pilot multi- engine helicopters;
(4) in the case of single-pilot single-engine helicopters, completed 250 hours as a pilot on helicopters.

You will meet the general requirements as you are a TRI and you will also meet the below as you are a TRI.

FCL.930.SFI SFI — Training course

(a) The training course for the SFI shall include:
(1) the FSTD content of the applicable type rating course; (2) the content of the TRI training course.
(b) An applicant for an SFI certificate who holds a TRI certificate for the relevant type shall be fully credited towards the requirements of this paragraph

So I would say submit an SRG 1131 to the CAA with the evidence and they will issue you the SFI.

It may be worth booking an appointment for a same day so that you can argue your case.

Or, (if you already haven't) email [email protected] to discuss it.

SFE may be more difficult and may have to come later.

FCL.1010.SFE SFE — Prerequisites

(b) SFE(H). Applicants for an SFE certificate for helicopters shall:
(1) hold or have held an ATPL(H), a type rating and an SFI(H) certificate for the applicable type of helicopter;
(2) have at least 1 000 hours of flight time as a pilot on multi-pilot helicopters;
(3) for the initial issue of an SFE certificate, have completed at least 50 hours of synthetic flight instruction as an SFI(H) on the applicable type.

Paragraph 3 may be an issue if you haven't been instructing in the simulator as a TRI.

If you can evidence the above then submit Form SRG1128. Or, same as SFI, go in or email [email protected].

Don't forget the cash! It won't get past step 1 otherwise!

Hope that helps?

FNW

Apate
22nd Apr 2018, 15:03
My experience is that it will be a paperwork only exercise. As long as it's accompanied with a cheque!

As FNW suggests, send an email to [email protected] requesting advice.

boris the b
22nd Apr 2018, 21:15
Thanks for the replies one and all.

Milos Djurovic
10th Aug 2023, 14:33
Hello team,
I have EASA SFI/SFE certificate, and now accumulated PIC hours for TRI/TRE certificate. Do you know what is the procedure to get the new certificate?
Thanks a lot

gipsymagpie
10th Aug 2023, 17:42
My experience is that it will be a paperwork only exercise. As long as it's accompanied with a cheque!

As FNW suggests, send an email to [email protected] requesting advice.
The CAA were in the past reluctant to issue an SFI/SFE whilst you had a valid medical (which I realise doesn't apply in this case). Now you can get ahead of the game and get your SFI/SFE issued before it becomes necessary and keep it running parallel to your TRI/TRE. Some authorities in EASA have always allowed this (eg the Dutch).

Unfortunately not gratis.....

ZFT
10th Aug 2023, 23:49
The CAA were in the past reluctant to issue an SFI/SFE whilst you had a valid medical (which I realise doesn't apply in this case). Now you can get ahead of the game and get your SFI/SFE issued before it becomes necessary and keep it running parallel to your TRI/TRE. Some authorities in EASA have always allowed this (eg the Dutch).

Unfortunately not gratis.....

The French DGAC did this FOC

Milos Djurovic
11th Aug 2023, 12:05
Thank you very much for info.
My licence is Irish, and i received this reply from IAA:If you do not hold the licence, rating or certificate you shall meet all the initial issue requirements as defined in EU Part-FCL. There may be provision for credits and this will be indicated in the initial issue requirements.

Best regards

What do you think?