PDA

View Full Version : "You Don't Look It"

Dan_Brown
21st Apr 2018, 08:43
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/prince-charles-in-race-row-after-telling-author-with-guyanese-roots-who-said-shes-from-manchester-you-dont-look-it/ar-AAw7k6F?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=SK2MDHP

Haha!! This PC cr&p, will be the end of us all. Is the recipient not proud of her colour??

Good old Charlie, what a boy!!

jolihokistix
21st Apr 2018, 08:53
I am guessing it was grammatical and hamfisted. From the photograph, she does not look like she has roots in Guyana, right?

Ogre
21st Apr 2018, 09:02
Maybe she just looks more well groomed and presentable than he's come to expect from Manchester....

RedhillPhil
21st Apr 2018, 10:03
Looking at me, 6' 2", (once) medium brown hair, blue eyes, fair complexion you wouldn't really imagine that my maternal grandfather was Indian. Yet, one of my sister is dark complexioned, (once) black hair and brown eyed.

Loose rivets
21st Apr 2018, 11:35
Fascinating subject. When I saw my future mother in law I was smitten. I knew the family was from India but I had no real knowledge of what it was to be an Anglo Indian. Blind date with the Rivetess followed.

It was funny, she was the antithesis of a recent girlfriend who had thick long blond hair.

When I talked about her obvious Indianness (An official New Word Suggestion) she'd contract in and not really reply at all. She worked in London as a secretary, spoke better English than me with not a trace of accent.

The group trapped in between being Indian and British found themselves in a very specific society. There were only 400,000 of them at the end of the Raj. Anyway, family upheaval and mother found herself having to choose which passport she wanted for herself and four kids. The father had B:mad:'d off, so we had that in common.

From a large house and servants to a freezing north London flat fetching paraffin while wearing sandals. It's funny, but that grievously drab terraced house has gone up again this week, to 1.33 Million.

Bloodline something of a mystery. British, German, mother's maiden name, French. Not a hint of Indian, though the father, who was the image - really, almost difficult to tell the difference from some photos - of Tyrone Power, carried the name of an Indian VC. What a mixture, what good fortune. The DNA mix seemed to create a formula for anti-ageing.

Our kids were 1, Medium brown hair with slate grey eyes and unremarkable complexion, though come to think of it, I've never known him to develop a single spot. Odd boy. His kids are half tall vivacious Texan

2, Fair daughter, his twin, brown eyes. Her kids have masses of light brown/blond hair despite their Jewish father having lustrous black hair.

3, 11 months after the twins, a boy, now the tallest and darkest in the family. There was a tad of racism at school, which he wisely did not bring home to me. I would have left the entire school in no doubt it was going to stop. His son was with a tall athletic girl and the lad has benefited from their height. She's fair, boy thick black hair. My son has since married a girl, born in India with pure (as much as one can be upon this planet's surface) Indian bloodline.

I swapped from astrophysics to genetics for my evening lecture a couple of nights ago. Royal Institute. Fascinating. So much more known now. But what has disappointed me a little is that my daughter's DNA check (a gift) is seemingly confined to her mother's bloodline. A lot of English, and some Celtic influence. were an Indo-European people in Iron Age and Medieval Europe

Some French, German, but not the Indian we'd expected. One is filled with wonderment about our design, which is perhaps why my The Perfect Code has a design hypothesis built into the story.

pulse1
21st Apr 2018, 12:17
Someone asked me how old I was yesterday. When I told them they expressed disbelief and said that I didn't look it. Does that mean that I was a victim of ageism? I am not a great fan of PC (either Prince Charles or political correctness) but this criticism is ridiculous.

Planemike
21st Apr 2018, 16:22
Another member of the "snowflake" generation....??!! PC's remark could hardly be construed as being offensive....

Hempy
21st Apr 2018, 16:22
Someone asked me how old I was yesterday. When I told them they expressed disbelief and said that I didn't look it. Does that mean that I was a victim of ageism? I am not a great fan of PC (either Prince Charles or political correctness) but this criticism is ridiculous.

Whatís more ridiculous is one person telling another person what they can and canít feel offended by. Society has lost the ability to walk a mile in someone elseís shoes.

p.s Political correctness is just another term for Ďdonít be rude to peopleí... :rolleyes:

Krystal n chips
21st Apr 2018, 17:16
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/prince-charles-in-race-row-after-telling-author-with-guyanese-roots-who-said-shes-from-manchester-you-dont-look-it/ar-AAw7k6F?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=SK2MDHP

Haha!! This PC cr&p, will be the end of us all. Is the recipient not proud of her colour??

Good old Charlie, what a boy!!

Ah, just one small problem here.

These little quips and gaffes may sound hilarious, to some, but, unfortunately, the gob from whence they are uttered is generally protected by arcane protocols, fawning sycophants and sundry hangers on from getting a suitable riposte.....that's a bit of a one way conversation really.

It's a shame she didn't have a copy of this book to hand and, being a nice Manchester lady, asked him "can you just sign this for me please luv ? "

The review of the contents may not be greeted with rapturous applause on here.....

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2018/mar/23/rebel-prince-charles-tom-bower

goudie
21st Apr 2018, 17:42
Yes, it’s a pity one isn’t permitted a riposte with Royalty. If permitted, would open up some interesting and hopefully, funny replies.

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Apr 2018, 18:19
Yes, itís a pity one isnít permitted a riposte with Royalty.
When I had a conversation with Prince Charles nobody was attempting to control what I said - I wasn't "not permitted" anything. What form do you imagine this "not permitting" takes?

Mechta
21st Apr 2018, 18:39
Just another publicity seeker milking an opportunity to get their name in the press. Any normal person would have laughed it off.

goudie
21st Apr 2018, 18:55
Replying to a question, perhaps, in a polite manner is of course quite acceptable. However if the young lady had made a similar observation to PC ie ‘well you don’t look like Royalty Guv’. Very funny but not the done thing, doncha know!

Tankertrashnav
21st Apr 2018, 18:59
I don't think that is "PC gone mad" to think that in this instance HRH was talking like a prat. The underlying assumption seems to be that a typical Brit, (or Mancunian even) is a white "Caucasian" (like me) but that is such an outdated idea. Look around you, indigenous Brits are now all shades from palest pale to as black as your hat. Unless of course he was just trying to emulate the old man, but whereas Prince Philip can get away with it, I don't think Prince Charles can.

ORAC
21st Apr 2018, 19:42
I think she was a plant.

Otherwise he wouldn’t have been talking to her.....

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Apr 2018, 20:44
Replying to a question, perhaps, in a polite manner is of course quite acceptable. However if the young lady had made a similar observation to PC ie Ďwell you donít look like Royalty Guví. Very funny but not the done thing, doncha know!
He'd just have laughed.

goudie
21st Apr 2018, 21:48
He may well have done. But as TTN says, a bit of a prattish remark to make, for someone in his position, IMHO.

ChrisVJ
21st Apr 2018, 21:52
For the thirty years we have been here Mrs VJ and I have commented frequently about how often Canadians are constantly having "hurt feelings." While we are careful to avoid offending our hosts and now compatriots we felt we remembered that the British we rather more robust.

Apparently that has changed or maybe we were just mistaken.

G-CPTN
21st Apr 2018, 22:14
we remembered that the British were rather more robust.
Apparently that has changed or maybe we were just mistaken.

There is no doubt that it has become fashionable to take offence on behalf of other people.
IMO this has been fuelled by social media with people seeking out topics to report to keep their streams flowing.

A similar situation can be observed on online news sites with 'newspapers' competing to publish silly stories to 'amaze' readers - when no such story exists - it is just the way it is being presented.
What I am suggesting is that these are not genuine 'news' stories, but are slanted with headlines to attract the attention of readers.

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Apr 2018, 22:57
What I am suggesting is that these are not genuine 'news' stories, but are slanted with headlines to attract the attention of readers.
I have seen many many stories in the local rag which were complete nonsense, which a single phone call from anyone interested in doing fact checking would have discovered. But of course they deliberately don't make that phone call, because if they were to discover that they didn't have a story they'd have to do some real work to find something else to fill the space.

Krystal n chips
22nd Apr 2018, 05:02
Replying to a question, perhaps, in a polite manner is of course quite acceptable. However if the young lady had made a similar observation to PC ie Ďwell you donít look like Royalty Guví. Very funny but not the done thing, doncha know!

Erm, point of order here, perlease.....pal.

We don't say "Guv" in Manchester, that's for Lahndan and the Sarff......

"Luv " is the commonly used term, albeit the vocabulary of Mancunian ladies may not always be quite so complimentary....but always eloquently expressed and definitive......

megan
22nd Apr 2018, 05:23
Ignorance in the press. From the link in the OP's post "He (Prince Phillip) also asked an aboriginal leader: “Do you still throw spears at each other?”

I don't know why they think it a gaffe, it only illustrates their own ignorance by calling it such, because the fact is they still do throw spears at each other. It constitutes part of their legal system where payback is part and parcel of their belief system.Danny Ferguson has been convicted over the killing of 34-year-old Serena Amos near Oodnadatta in July 2015.

The 36-year-old was on Thursday jailed for 15 years with a 12-year non-parole period and was also declared a serious repeat offender.

He also faces more than 11 years behind bars for two counts of rape and aggravated assault committed in the Northern Territory.

But this time behind bars is not the only retribution coming Ferguson's way as a result of his crimes.

"I am told that you will be liable to traditional tribal punishment - being speared five times in each leg - upon your eventual release," Justice Ann Vanstone told the Port Augusta Supreme Court.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/nitv-news/article/2016/10/14/sa-man-faces-traditional-aboriginal-spearing-punishment

Curious Pax
22nd Apr 2018, 15:49
In the rush to denounce political correctness, the issue of just how out of touch HRH is with modern Britain is forgotten. Maybe the lady is over sensitive, but he really ought to know better.

VP959
22nd Apr 2018, 16:11
In the rush to denounce political correctness, the issue of just how out of touch HRH is with modern Britain is forgotten. Maybe the lady is over sensitive, but he really ought to know better.

That's the main reason that I'd like to see the monarchy jump a generation, and pass directly to Prince William.

I know that his younger brother is very definitely in touch with modern Britain, as my wife used to see him pretty regularly when he was at Middle Wallop, and reckoned he was just like all the others, head glued to his phone half the time, larking around etc, when not working. The most memorable/embarrassing thing she remembers from his time there was when he left the door open and, without looking up, she just yelled "will you shut that bloody door behind you!", thinking it was just one of the near-constant flow of young aircrew that passed her desk. She was a bit embarrassed when he ran back, shut the door and turned to her with a very red face and said "Sorry ma'am".

vctenderness
22nd Apr 2018, 16:26
She writes for the Guardian....need we say more?