PDA

View Full Version : Rip Tim Bergling aka 'Avicci'

Fliegenmong
21st Apr 2018, 06:14
Look 20 yrs go I would have had no idea or care...but in more recent times I found I was at Gym training to some of this guys stuff....or hearing it when I was out...or on the radio even....like so many a very bright but short lived star....wonder wtf he was doing in Oman?...

Actually I think almost everyone here is well out of this demographic...I'm just hanging with a younger crowd in recent times..lol

West Coast
21st Apr 2018, 06:19
Never heard of him.

I don’t think I’m alone in the over 35 crowd.

WingNut60
21st Apr 2018, 06:21
I like some of his music. But only because I like Dan Tyminski.

Music by proxy.

Fliegenmong
21st Apr 2018, 06:46
West Coast.....I'm practically in the over 45 crowd...ha ha...he was very very big in the Electronic Dance Music world...yes..the song with the Dan Tyminski vocals...

Fliegenmong
21st Apr 2018, 07:14
I guess you're pretty big when Madonna 'guests' on one of your shows....I suppose....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr5VqBP1voA

tescoapp
21st Apr 2018, 08:08
you will more than likely remember "wake me up" but not know who's it was.

Laarbruch72
21st Apr 2018, 08:35
Never heard of him.

There's always one on these threads isn't there?

If you've not heard of him, just pass the thread by. I wasn't an active fan but I'm more than aware of him and the fact that many, many millions had not only heard of him, but bought his records and went to his shows.

I suspect though that you're one of those people who take an odd kind of pride and pleasure from displaying an ignorance of the modern world around them. It's a strange trait, not sure I'll ever understand it.

ATNotts
21st Apr 2018, 08:40

If you've not heard of him, just pass the thread by. I wasn't an active fan but I'm more than aware of him and the fact that many, many millions had not only heard of him, but bought his records and went to his shows.

I suspect though that you're one of those people who take an odd kind of pride and pleasure from displaying an ignorance of the modern world around them. It's a strange trait, not sure I'll ever understand it.

I don't think it's that. I had never heard of him, because I don't "club" and haven't for 30-odd years, but having seen the obit on the news I am aware of his music - well at least one track.

Fact is the demographic on this forum is probably the same as that that listens to BBC Radio 4, which is said to be something over 50 years old and many of us will be in a similar position.

Laarbruch72
21st Apr 2018, 08:52
Fact is the demographic on this forum is probably the same as that that listens to BBC Radio 4, which is said to be something over 50 years old and many of us will be in a similar position.

I get that, so I fully understand why some won't know who this guy is.
I just don't get why some people of that demographic seem to actively take pride in being ignorant of modern culture.

My Mother in law does it... She'll ask my daughter what music she's listening to, (likely a band with a ten year career at least, let's say The Killers)... then when my daughter tells her, rather than just saying "oh, I'm not aware of them, have they been around long?" she'll fold her arms, adopt a really proud, smug look and state proudly "never heard of them!". She looks ever so pleased with herself.

It's that pride in the ignorance that I don't understand, not the ignorance itself. The ignorance of pop culture is more than understandable as people get older.

Fliegenmong
21st Apr 2018, 08:56
ATNotts ... I am certainly not 'Target Audience'....but I liked his stuff...and the works of others of his ilk....and I was listening to Australia's equivalent of BBC4 in my 20's...and still do ... but I like to spread myself thin and experience different things...

I can see I'm becoming a grumpy old curmudgeon...but I'm not giving up either....

Now....as for TV and 'cult of Celebrity' .... no thanks...not at all...

ATNotts
21st Apr 2018, 09:00
I get that, so I fully understand why some won't know who this guy is.
I just don't get why some people of that demographic seem to actively take pride in being ignorant of modern culture.

My Mother in law does it... She'll ask my daughter what music she's listening to, (likely a band with a ten year career at least, let's say The Killers)... then when my daughter tells her, rather than just saying "oh, I'm not aware of them, have they been around long?" she'll fold her arms, adopt a really proud, smug look and state proudly "never heard of them!". It's that I don't understand.

Know what you mean. It's quite interesting to see the different ages at which people stop "keeping up". My father never really got into "pop music" fullstop, he was less than 30 when Bill Haley came on the scene. My father-in-law's musical journey appeared to stop around the era of Al Jolson. Me, I guess I stopped "keeping up" in my late 40s, perhaps into my very early 50s.

I suppose what really irks me is when a 14 year old nobody of an actress that appears in some Netflix drama gets a place in the Time Magazine's 100 most influential women - because she's in a big TV drama, and apparently has 20m followers in Instagram. You can't be influential when you've had in reality 10 years at most to develop and shape opinions!!

ATNotts
21st Apr 2018, 09:03
ATNotts ... I am certainly not 'Target Audience'....but I liked his stuff...and the works of others of his ilk....and I was listening to Australia's equivalent of BBC4 in my 20's...and still do ... but I like to spread myself thin and experience different things...

Same as me, I was an R4 listener well before my allotted time - but didn't relinquish modern music radio until much later. Even now I enjoy channel hopping on the radio to get a feel for some of the new stuff, just so I'm not a total stick in the mud fuddy-duddy.

WingNut60
21st Apr 2018, 09:43
West Coast.....I'm practically in the over 45 crowd...ha ha...he was very very big in the Electronic Dance Music world...yes..the song with the Dan Tyminski vocals...

Hey, brother

Andy_S
21st Apr 2018, 10:48
It's quite interesting to see the different ages at which people stop "keeping up".

Having grown up with Radio One I remember being irritated by the increasing prevalence of electronic dance music on the station in the late 90's / early 00's and their gradual substitution of presenters who I'd grown familiar with by what I felt were over-excitable lightweights. Eventually the penny dropped - I was approaching 40 and I was no longer the target demographic for a youth orientated radio station. I finally stopped listening to the Top 40 charts in about 2005 and I simply couldn't tell you who's in it these days. I don't believe they even compile it from physical record sales any more.

As for Avicii, I knew of him simply because one of his tracks was used in an advert several years ago and he subsequently became vogue enough for older musicians to try and 'collaborate' with.

Even now I enjoy channel hopping on the radio to get a feel for some of the new stuff, just so I'm not a total stick in the mud fuddy-duddy.

I'm the same, but with me it tends to be either BBC 6 Music, underground / alternative stations, or what you might call classic rock & pop

chevvron
21st Apr 2018, 12:02
Never heard of him.

I don’t think I’m alone in the over 35 crowd.
Me neither. Is/was he supposed to be famous?

goudie
21st Apr 2018, 12:27
I’ve never heard of the chap either. Not being a smart ass to post the fact, it’s just to illustrate how isolated from modern music some of us are. There must be loads of other people in the ‘entertainment industry’ I’ve never heard of either. Doesn’t bother me, I’m more than happy listening to Classic FM, or Smooth, bar the adverts!

Fliegenmong
21st Apr 2018, 12:45
Yeah....as I said...I only learnt of him from gym classes (His music in the background)...or out at clubs / bars etc...seems as though the guy made some serious cash in a short time...with some massive audiences...

What Is Avicii's Net Worth? Swedish DJ Dies in Oman at 28 (http://www.newsweek.com/avicii-death-net-worth-songs-895622)

And he seems to have tried to have done something about starving Americans (who would ever thought there were hungry Americans! lol not lol)

European DJ Helps Feed America and Fight Hunger (http://www.borgenmagazine.com/european-dj-avicii-helps-feed-america/)

Mr Optimistic
21st Apr 2018, 14:12
Daughter escaped from London and the marathon aggravation and appeared at short notice in the land of free food and wine. First thing she said was how sad it was about this guy with the location making drink and drugs unlikely. Obviously I had no idea what she was talking about. 28 versus 64. Not really any the wiser but I did try.

BehindBlueEyes
21st Apr 2018, 14:27
My 28 YO daughter messaged me to tell me about his death and how gutted she was. She had seen him live at Creamfields and said he was ‘awesome’ Not to speculate, but it looks like he had had issues with alcohol in the past which may have contributed. Always shocks me whenever you hear of someone in their prime of life dying prematurely. Sad when Amy Winehouse died needlessly too although she tragically seemed hell bent on self destruction.

B2N2
21st Apr 2018, 14:37
His style was a little too ‘poppy’ for me but obviously a great talent.
Sad that meteoric risers burn so bright and short.

Andy_S
21st Apr 2018, 15:11
.....location making drink and drugs unlikely.

You can get a drink in Oman, no problem.

West Coast
21st Apr 2018, 16:08

You over estimate your ability to read between the lines or perhaps your emotions have got the better of you over the chap’s passing. Don't extrapolate an admission of not knowing an up and coming musician to mean something different. If I was as you describe, I wouldn’t have joined the discussion on this young man.

I wish his family well as they cope with his passing.

ORAC
21st Apr 2018, 16:44
Must have really knocked the alcohol back in the clubs during his late teens and early twenties as he retired at 26 with his health already ruined - living on borrowed time since then.

Diagnosed with acute pancreatitis and had both his his gallbladder and his appendix removed in 2014 at age 24.

ShyTorque
21st Apr 2018, 20:04
I must admit I had heard of him, but I'm no dinosaur - I always listen to some young DJ late at night and early morning at weekends. This particular chap hasn't been there too long but he plays some really good music.

I think his name is Tony Blackburn...

smallfry
21st Apr 2018, 20:44
Im ancient, in my late 40's, but think he was brilliant. You dont have to stop keeping up with music as you get older, theres just more to like!. Such a shame.

Carbon Bootprint
22nd Apr 2018, 00:28
I learned of him a couple of years ago while in the UK. I don't think he has ever received much play in the US, not on mainstream channels, anyway. I liked his stuff and was just listening to some last week on the flight back from DC. It was surprising to me to learn that he was only 28, and very sad to hear what caused his death. RIP.

reynoldsno1
22nd Apr 2018, 00:31
I'm in my mid-60's and I had heard of him - he was a 'DJ' and more of a producer than an 'artist'. By his own admission he couldn't sing. He certainly knew how to produce excellent pop songs. By all accounts he had a number of serious medical conditions - sad for one so young.