PDA

View Full Version : Today, in Berlin

Rengineer
20th Apr 2018, 16:44
A couple of British tourists, apparently irritated, ask a local why the subway train doesn‘t stop at Hauptbahnhof (central station).
Local guy: Because they‘re defusing a bomb.
British tourist: Seriously, a bomb? Do they know who planted it?
Local guy: The Royal Air Force.

😏

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
20th Apr 2018, 17:18
Just keeping Jerry on his toes.

Rengineer
20th Apr 2018, 17:45
Just keeping Jerry on his toes.

Been doing that ever since. You guys might have cleaned up after yourselves, y‘know... 🤝

Denti
20th Apr 2018, 18:37
Well, it is a very good reason to have some extremely experienced and well trained ordnance disposal experts. All over the country. Sadly every once in a while something goes wrong and they need to train a few replacements.

ORAC
20th Apr 2018, 19:43
If it wasn’t for the RAF you wouldn’t have had all those brand new car parks and factories in the 1950s....

Kerosene Kraut
20th Apr 2018, 20:26
The Brits in Berlin are remembered for what good they did after the war. Keeping us to be Westeners.

lomapaseo
20th Apr 2018, 21:15
Well, it is a very good reason to have some extremely experienced and well trained ordnance disposal experts. All over the country. Sadly every once in a while something goes wrong and they need to train a few replacements.

even if an untrained ordnance disposal guy would end up "all over the country"

meadowrun
20th Apr 2018, 23:20
In business class to Heathrow from Vancouver one day, sitting next to a youngish bloke and as is my norm, I'm not overly talkative so just did the basics.

Told me he was with the UN and on his way to Afghanistan.
Said he was a miner.

Took me a few minutes but it dawned on me he was going out there to remove them.
A career he apparently had selected.

Tankertrashnav
20th Apr 2018, 23:54
Reminds me of the scene in Auf Wiedersehen Pet when they dig up a bomb in their German building site

Oz (proudly) "that's a British bomb, that is"

Herr Ulrich (sarcastically) "yes Osborne, it did not explode!"

tdracer
21st Apr 2018, 00:22
I seem to recall a gift from the Luftwaffe being discovered not too long ago in London while they were working on a new underground line...

Disarming a 75 year old bomb - yikes. Given how unstable explosives can become over time I'm a little surprised there hasn't been the odd spontaneous explosion around various parts of Germany and the UK (not to mention France, Belgium, etc.).

Krystal n chips
21st Apr 2018, 05:34
I seem to recall a gift from the Luftwaffe being discovered not too long ago in London while they were working on a new underground line...

Disarming a 75 year old bomb - yikes. Given how unstable explosives can become over time I'm a little surprised there hasn't been the odd spontaneous explosion around various parts of Germany and the UK (not to mention France, Belgium, etc.).

Very true and the expertise of EOD teams can never be over stated.

However, there are times when, well, with some locations hope doth springeth eternal as to the possibilities of these little gifts performing as intended.....

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/wwii-bomb-closes-aston-expressway-13040492

Rwy in Sight
21st Apr 2018, 05:43
Given how unstable explosives can become over time I'm a little surprised there hasn't been the odd spontaneous explosion around various parts of Germany and the UK (not to mention France, Belgium, etc.).

In Belgium should those explosions, happen serious improvements will take place.

ORAC, I used to say the same thing.

Pontius Navigator
21st Apr 2018, 06:55
Farmer near where I worked turned up a 'bomb'. Only a 25lb practice bomb, no tail, said my manager knocking mud off with a crow bar. Wrong colour says I. Wrong shape says I, and we takes steps to have it removed.

Next day, when EOD arrive, the farmer had laid a second one with it. Our brave EOD team put them in the back of the truck on same bags then, no police presence, drive them off for disposal. Bloody big bang when they did.

Now where there were two UX shells there must be more. I don't remember if they had been fired or simply lost.

PAXfips
21st Apr 2018, 07:11
A couple of British tourists, apparently irritated, ask a local why the subway train doesn‘t stop at Hauptbahnhof (central station).
Local guy: Because they‘re defusing a bomb.
British tourist: Seriously, a bomb? Do they know who planted it?
Local guy: The Royal Air Force.

The conversation continued:
Tourist: Oh, sorry about that
Local: Well, you did liberate us from fascism, so that's okay.
Tourist: Maybe you will have to return the favour soon.

https://twitter.com/astefanowitsch/status/987255274108063744

gruntie
21st Apr 2018, 07:13
Talking of Belgium......when they blew the mines under Messines Ridge in WW1 not all of them went off. In the 50s one of them blew up, detonated by a chance lightning strike during a storm. But others remain......

https://simonjoneshistorian.com/2017/05/01/lost-mines-of-messines/

ImageGear
21st Apr 2018, 07:13
If one little parcel goes up in the Thames Estuary, half of Clacton will get remodelled.

Laarbruch72
21st Apr 2018, 07:22
In business class to Heathrow from Vancouver one day, sitting next to a youngish bloke....

Told me he was with the UN and on his way to Afghanistan.

And were you kind enough to tell him he was heading the wrong way?

I've never met a deminer who flew business... I think he was quite probably pulling your leg.

meadowrun
21st Apr 2018, 10:13
Well, a leg puller who gave me some contacts at the UN then, because of what I was doing.

As for routing: from where we started - which way round is a toss-up.

angels
21st Apr 2018, 10:36
This sort of thing is common here as well. This was yesterday.

WW2 Bomb found in Rochester (http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kmtv/video/ww2-bomb-found-in-rochester-12093/)

LowNSlow
21st Apr 2018, 10:37
Many moons ago whilst on a contract with London Underground I saw a map on the wall of one of their offices. I asked the chap I was with what the red dots were. UXBs came the reply. I was stunned by how many there were.

This map by Bombsight shows just how much ordnance was dropped on London: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2243951/The-astonishing-interactive-map-EVERY-bomb-dropped-London-Blitz.html

Pinky the pilot
21st Apr 2018, 11:12
Saw albeit very briefly some TV News footage of said bomb being removed. Narrator said something about a 500kg bomb...

Looked like a Yankee 1,000 pound bomb to me.:hmm::confused:

Fareastdriver
21st Apr 2018, 11:29
Driving around Ypres on can see little piles of decrepit artillery shells on little platforms. They have been ploughed up by farmers and they leave them there to be collected by the Belgian Army.

reynoldsno1
21st Apr 2018, 23:37
The Brits in Berlin are remembered for what good they did after the war
Spent 6 months at RAF Gatow in the early 70s - we had a darts match with a veteran Luftwaffe Fighter Pilots' Association. One of the funniest evenings I have ever spent.

WingNut60
22nd Apr 2018, 00:36
Well, a leg puller who gave me some contacts at the UN then, because of what I was doing.

As for routing: from where we started - which way round is a toss-up.

Same vein - daily SIA flight SIN - DFW ....... via Moscow.
Counter intuitive or what?

Carbon Bootprint
22nd Apr 2018, 14:59
Same vein - daily SIA flight SIN - DFW ....... via Moscow.
Counter intuitive or what?Sorry for the thread drift, but SIA used to do the same thing from IAH, SIN via DME. It was a handy way for me to get to Moscow that last time I needed to. After all the Ukrainian fuss, though, I believe the intermediate stop is now MAN.