PDA

View Full Version : Arsenal Wenger

ORAC
20th Apr 2018, 14:12
Glad he became Arsenal manager; glad he is leaving.

He always said that he sees out his contracts - but is leaving a year early. An indication that the club has already agreed his replacement and want him in as soon as the season is finished?

Andy_S
20th Apr 2018, 14:39
Not a Gooners fan, but it has to be said that he introduced some wonderful free flowing football that could be a joy to watch. Unfortunately, the way the game is played moved on, and he didn’t. I think the clubs owners could live with that as long as Arsenal qualified for Champions League football, and I suspect that his departure is not unrelated to their failure to do so last season and their increasingly precarious grip on any sort of European football this season. Still, you don’t get to manage a leading Premier League club for 22 years by accident, and I’m sure he’ll be a club legend for a long time.

The question is, who next? That’s a big pair of shoes to fill. The rumour is some sort of combination of Viera and Arteta.

chevvron
20th Apr 2018, 15:20
I was lucky to get seats occasionally at The Emirates even though only a Red member. I saw some cracking games there up until about 2008 but apart from FA Cup matches there's been something lacking.
He should have encouraged Henry and Fabregas to return, maybe got Bergy as a coach.
Sad he has to go but it's inevitable. I just hope his successor has a few 'new' ideas.

llondel
20th Apr 2018, 15:22
He may have learned from what happened to ManU when Fergie originally announced he was leaving. For all we know, he may have signed a two-year deal with a verbal understanding with Kroenke that it was only going to be for one. At this point, league form is not too relevant and I guess he's hoping it will inspire the team to win the Europa League as a leaving present.

I feel sorry for all those in the "Wenger Out" sign industry, they're going to have to find new jobs.

Rail Engineer
20th Apr 2018, 17:25
Quite the best news in a long while as far as the fans are concerned. All one can say of Wenger is that he has managed the club like an accountant rather than as a proper Manager.

He has only himself to blame by not taking control of the poor performance of the players, who seem to treat their tenure as a job guaranteed for life, paid as long as they bother to turn up. There has long been a lack of thirst for success, hopefully when Wenger has gone this will return.

good egg
20th Apr 2018, 17:28
Quite the best news in a long while as far as the fans are concerned. All one can say of Wenger is that he has managed the club like an accountant rather than as a proper Manager.

He has only himself to blame by not taking control of the poor performance of the players, who seem to treat their tenure as a job guaranteed for life, paid as long as they bother to turn up. There has long been a lack of thirst for success, hopefully when Wenger has gone this will return.

Ever tried management? ;)

Noah Zark.
20th Apr 2018, 18:14
The guy is what he is, and has been, to the club, and that's it. I'm not a footie fan of any denomination, but how does this event become the lead story on the BBC evening news, fercrissake? Has the world gone really potty? There are a lot of people who like me, don't give a sod about this 'news', probably vastly more so than those who do.
Get a grip, BBC!

Rail Engineer
20th Apr 2018, 18:29
Ever tried management? ;) Yes, Director of two Companies, major shareholder in one, project director for major £100m railway upgrade, operations manager for £1bn overseas project.

And YOU ?

chevvron
20th Apr 2018, 18:38
The guy is what he is, and has been, to the club, and that's it. I'm not a footie fan of any denomination, but how does this event become the lead story on the BBC evening news, fercrissake? Has the world gone really potty? There are a lot of people who like me, don't give a sod about this 'news', probably vastly more so than those who do.
Get a grip, BBC!
Sky News is just as bad; currently announcing the death of some musician no-one has ever heard of as 'Breaking News'.

Local Variation
20th Apr 2018, 19:12
A shame it has finished for him in the manner that it has. Should have called it a day 5 years ago.

His teams of Highbury around the Invincibles played the best football I have ever seen. And despite going and seeing my team regularly get thrashed by half time at Highbury, you had little option but to admire it all.

Lets wait and see who takes over for the Gooners and he has an uphill job on his hands. Time is not a commodity in modern day football.

DON T
20th Apr 2018, 19:22
How many people have managed a football club where the first 5 letters of their name are the same as the first 5 letters of the club they managed.

Never an Arsenal fan but the man did good.��

Effluent Man
20th Apr 2018, 19:29
[QUOTE=DON T;10125301]How many people have managed a football club where the first 5 letters of their name are the same as the first 5 letters of the club they managed.

Burt Onslow, caretaker manager of Burton Albion during the 1957/8 season.

Jack D
20th Apr 2018, 19:50
[QUOTE=DON T;10125301]How many people have managed a football club where the first 5 letters of their name are the same as the first 5 letters of the club they managed.

Burt Onslow, caretaker manager of Burton Albion during the 1957/8 season.

Burt Onslow ! now there’s a name to conjure with .. surely he was a member of the cloggies .
Any more takers ?

llondel
20th Apr 2018, 22:18
Get a grip, BBC!

Given the high pressure nature of Premier League football management, and the mean job tenure, 22 years is somewhat of a major achievement. I'd say it's relevant to football fans in general, and there are quite a few of those, so I think it justifies being a lead news story. Better than Yet Another Trump Story.

RAT 5
21st Apr 2018, 09:28
I remember Wenger joined Arsenal. Bruce Rioch, the brother of my mate, had been there a short while and introduced a new trend in English football. They kept the ball on the ground. This was revolutionary. Usually it was the big, all knees & elbows, centre forward who roamed around up front and long balls were hoofed though the air in some vain hope he might control it and score. Alternatively, there might be a foray down the wing followed by a cross for the giraffe to have a go at.
Arsen introduced artistic continental football. Slick fast passing, keep the opposition guessing and bewildered. Less agricultural, more skilful. And look what's happened, although, admittedly encouraged by so many continental managers and players; most premier & 1st division teams play along the ground. Man U. under Alex, was also one of the path-finder teams in that regard. Aerial football is for the Neanderthals.

That to me is his legacy, but like in so many innovative things, the first will be overtaken by the rest, and knowing when to leave them to it is the key. Indeed, he did go on beyond his sell-by-date, not helped by players' attitudes. He does deserve to remembered for the innovation of those early years and the invincibles, not the last few lack lustre ones.

ORAC
21st Apr 2018, 09:55
Alternatively, there might be a foray down the wing followed by a cross for the giraffe to have a go at. “One-nil to the Arsenal”.

Sit in Defence for 80 minutes and then Redford and Kennedy would steam down the centre whilst the ball went down either wing for one or the other to score. Week after week after week.

llondel
23rd Apr 2018, 22:11
Aerial football is for the Neanderthals.

Not always, the run to the corner and the floated cross to meet the head of the incoming striker (or centre back, thinking of Tony Adams) is a worthy part of the game.

RAT 5
24th Apr 2018, 09:19
What I was meaning was the hoof down the middle from the 'centre half' (old money) in the hope that the 'centre forward' (old money again) & his mate might make something of it. Being out numbered 2 or 3 to 1 meant the chances were not high. 'On the ground' football now sees a wave of mid-fielders and front 2 or 3 moving forward as a tidal surge spread across the field with options wide & central. Sometimes the final ball might be 'aerial' from the wings, but it has more precision than an agricultural hoof from your own mid-half. Big Sam used to still do that at Bolton, but even he has calmed down a bit. There aren't too many old fashioned centre forwards; all elbows and shoulders. Drogba was excellent from the old mould. Kane & Vardy are classic in a more subtle manner. Muller, (Bayern Munich) fits the role. Interesting that he fitted in to Pep's model as Barcelona & Man C don't have that central up front target player.

oldchina
24th Apr 2018, 10:34
Well he's really leaving, arse 'n all

Slow Biker
24th Apr 2018, 21:30
Ian Wright's book give good insight into Wenger's methods. A good read if you enjoy football.

G-CPTN
3rd May 2018, 20:59
Unlucky! . . .

ORAC
16th May 2018, 06:54
POLITICO: ......Corbyn did indeed turn up to last night’s adjournment debate (https://goo.gl/2x3B3P) on retiring Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger, and paid tribute to his “enormous contribution” to the local community. The highlight however was Speaker John Bercow mocking Piers Morgan (https://hansard.parliament.uk/Commons/2018-05-15/debates/655BB2BF-FC6E-4DD8-A2BA-453B4FE62E82/Ars%C3%A8neWenger#contribution-8E2B3A14-89DF-45CC-9E39-410327700D0D), and then everyone else taking potshots at Sports Minister Tracey Crouch for being a Spurs fan.