PDA

View Full Version : Cessna 172 down in Cornwall.

Jettiejock
19th Apr 2018, 18:43
A sad end for an old girl. Lucky the pilot was uninjured.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/witnesses-tell-dramatic-plane-crash-1478726

Maoraigh1
19th Apr 2018, 18:52
Looks like a good forced landing, with the nosewheel digging in on soft ground.

ShyTorque
19th Apr 2018, 19:54
Glad to hear the occupants are OK.

That often happens if you're obliged to land in a brown field.

As I used to tell my students: Brown field = Brown trousers!

evansb
19th Apr 2018, 20:59
"Dramatic Plane Crash" indeed. It was nearly uneventful. I do like the plot line though...somewhat furrowed.

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
20th Apr 2018, 11:54
I am glad the pilot is ok. With the recent levels of idiotic press reporting and "talking heads" confusing matters I wonder how long it will be before we see reports of the aircraft losing its wheel in flight and the pilot having to land inverted.

Tashengurt
20th Apr 2018, 17:38
Report mentions both a collision and the pilot 'ejecting' himself.
Stellar reporting.

POBJOY
20th Apr 2018, 18:19
One of the stalwarts of Cornwalls aero scene for decades, but this time it looks like the old girl is really done for.
90%+ humidity in the north coast area (for several days now)

SFCC
20th Apr 2018, 19:15
I have very happy memories of being flown around the Kent countryside by my Father in that very aeroplane.
Happy days indeed and I'm sorry it met it's end like that.

Timmy Tomkins
21st Apr 2018, 10:51
I have very happy memories of being flown around the Kent countryside by my Father in that very aeroplane.
Happy days indeed and I'm sorry it met it's end like that.

Yes it's in my log book too; used to be based at Lydd. It had one engine failure mid channel on one occasion with one of the cylinders detaching from the engine block - not uncommon with the Continental - but she kept her feet dry and made it back to Lydd on 5 cylinders ; she was no spring chicken then and it was in the 1980s