PDA

View Full Version : Repairing a metal shed roof

cargosales
19th Apr 2018, 18:28
Good evening all,

I've searched the internet and found a million different, often contradictory, suggestions so I'm turning to the voice of reason and experience that is JB for some ideas please.....

We recently moved and inherited a metal garden shed of the 1mm thick mild steel roof panels and walls throughout variety. We're planning to replace it but in the meantime there are a number of 'pinholes' @ 1 or 2mm diameter along a few of the seams in the roof, hence it's leaking like a sieve.

Is there anything we can do / any suitable gunge , glue or similar we can use to plug those holes in the meantime?

Cheers for any advice

CS

Blues&twos
19th Apr 2018, 18:34
If it's only temporary and the holes are small, wouldn't standard silicone sealant do the job?

gemma10
19th Apr 2018, 18:42
Sounds like a job for a tied down tarpaulin.:ok: Failing that try chewing gum.:E

longer ron
19th Apr 2018, 18:45
Speed Tape/Ally Tape ? that would be my first port of call :)

Argonautical
19th Apr 2018, 19:02
Lay a strip of flashing band (flashband) along the seams. Job done.

bgbazz
19th Apr 2018, 19:29
Speed Tape/Ally Tape ? that would be my first port of call :)

That's what I used on my old barn roof...the ally tape with the thick black sticky side. My old roof is the size of a double garage and more than 50 years old and used to leak like a sieve...a decent wire brush to clean the surface, applied the tape and 6 years later it still does the job.

One of these days, when I win the lottery, I'll replace the whole thing, but there is no urgency.

Hint: Do it on a warm day, when the metal surface has heated up..helps the sticky stuff adhere better.

Windy Militant
19th Apr 2018, 19:41
Flashing Strip is good stuff, but don't forget that these sheds are made to barely hold their own weight up. So go Softee Softee catchee Monkey when applying it.;)

cargosales
19th Apr 2018, 19:46
Cheers all. This is unknown territory for me and no offence to anyone who suggested something different but I reckon that some Flashband should do the job as a temporary fix on the cheap until we can replace the shed later in the year.

Thank you,

CS

vapilot2004
19th Apr 2018, 20:21
It's not the prettiest, nor is it easy to work with, but roofing tar has been the (imperfect) leak sealer for over a century.

Loose rivets
19th Apr 2018, 22:27
Oh, WHAT?????!!!!!!!!!!

I had a 400 sq ft flat roof thing outside my back door in Texas. I set about redoing the felt. Down to the wood, nice and dry, first layer of cold tar.

"I'm not going to get one fingermark on anything." Says I.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

By the paper layer there was tar on the ladder's rungs and fingermarks on the sides. By the second granule strip I'd got tar all over the ladder, the brush was stuck to a tree, the back door would never open again and my willie was affixed to the lavatory bowl.

Cold tar. Ha ha ha ha ha.

meadowrun
19th Apr 2018, 22:45
How does a sheet metal roof leak unless improperly installed around the joins?
Whole idea of sheet metal is to be an impermeable surface. Otherwise, might as well use ugly green corrugated plastic - another good noise generator.
Anyway. Any waterproof RTV rubber sealant.
A little dab will do you for pinholes.
Main problem is not falling off or through.

RatherBeFlying
20th Apr 2018, 02:26
Have a careful look inside at the structure supporting the roof. With many shed kits, the roof panels are fastened by standing on a step ladder inside the shed and reaching over each roof panel to screw it on to its neighbor. The last one is done from the outside.

You may have to remove panels if you need to reseal seams.

As before said, roofing tar is an evil substance that will get everywhere:uhoh: When working with tar, remove all external clothing, gloves and footwear (preferably ready for the bin) before stepping away from the worksite.

NutLoose
20th Apr 2018, 09:36
https://www.floorsaver.co.uk/collections/exterior-paint/products/waterproof-roof-paint?variant=43797253010&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuO71tcbI2gIV0p0bCh1eLAygEAQYBCABEgKMgvD_Bw E

glad rag
20th Apr 2018, 09:40
Oh, WHAT?????!!!!!!!!!!

I had a 400 sq ft flat roof thing outside my back door in Texas. I set about redoing the felt. Down to the wood, nice and dry, first layer of cold tar.

"I'm not going to get one fingermark on anything." Says I.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

By the paper layer there was tar on the ladder's rungs and fingermarks on the sides. By the second granule strip I'd got tar all over the ladder, the brush was stuck to a tree, the back door would never open again and my willie was affixed to the lavatory bowl.

Cold tar. Ha ha ha ha ha.

:D:D:D:D:ok:

glad rag
20th Apr 2018, 09:41
Have a careful look inside at the structure supporting the roof. With many shed kits, the roof panels are fastened by standing on a step ladder inside the shed and reaching over each roof panel to screw it on to its neighbor. The last one is done from the outside.

You may have to remove panels if you need to reseal seams.

As before said, roofing tar is an evil substance that will get everywhere:uhoh: When working with tar, remove all external clothing, gloves and footwear (preferably ready for the bin) before stepping away from the worksite.

Yes this is extremely important, joking aside...

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
20th Apr 2018, 17:24
You can get aerosol leak sealers. Sprays out some rubbery compound which builds up over a coat or three.

Coffin Dodger
20th Apr 2018, 17:56
Aware that advertising here is verboten but maybe Goog...

Roof Seal +
*hompson's (* letter after S)

Paint on, wash brush in water. Two hours to cure. 10 yrs guarantee. Sorted.