PDA

View Full Version : Sun-Air of Scandinavia

Xavi22
19th Apr 2018, 18:11
As I haven't found a Sun-Air thread I thought about creating one as it is a pretty interesting small regional airline.

After 27 years the last flight of the Jetstream 31 was made on 1st April. Now there is only a Dornier Jet 328 fleet.
Source: In-flight magazine 02/2018
In-flight magazine | See our latest In-flight magazine | SUN-AIR In-flight Magazine - SUN-AIR of Scandinavia (http://www.sun-air.dk/en/information/in-flight-magazine/)

Guess the Dornier can't fly forever, so they also have to think about a replacement of the 32-seat Dornier soon. I've found an article on ch-aviation (don't have to pro version) with a picture of the MRJ90, but can't imagine that this airplane fits in the business model of Sun-Air.
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/64403-denmarks-sun-air-considers-do328-replacement-options

cornishsimon
19th Apr 2018, 19:10
Think they have the prop and the jet version of the D328

cs

Xavi22
19th Apr 2018, 19:39
Think they have the prop and the jet version of the D328

cs

Not sure as in the past they've also the Prop version in the in-flight magazine, now only a Jet is printed in the current in-flight magazine. Guess the leasing of the Props was finished.

Hotel Tango
19th Apr 2018, 22:18
According to their latest fleet information, Aviation Database Global indicates that they still operate one, German registered, Dornier 328 (Prop) leased from MHS Aviation.

BAladdy
20th Apr 2018, 02:50
According to their latest fleet information, Aviation Database Global indicates that they still operate one, German registered, Dornier 328 (Prop) leased from MHS Aviation.
What is the aircraft registration?. In recent years the following D328 (prop) aircraft have operated for Sun-Air of Scandinavia, however all are no longer operated by them. Here are list of those aircraft

D-CIRD - Was leased from MH Aviation to Sun-Air of Scandinavia from 12SEP12. This aircraft jumped the chocks during an engine run sustaining substantial damage at HAM on 12JAN15. Aircraft never returned to service and was later written off.
D-CIRP - Was leased from MH Aviation to Sun-Air of Scandinavia from 07MAY12 to 25FEB17. Aircraft was returned to MH Aviation and now operates for Rhein-Neckar Air
D-CIRI - Was leased from MH Aviation to Sun-Air of Scandinavia from 12APR15 to 21DEC16. Aircraft was returned to MH Aviation. Aircraft has been stored at Saarbrucken Airport since 27DEC16
D-CMHA - This aircraft is shown in some databases as operating for Sun-Air of Scandinavia. In fact this aircraft has always been operated by MH Aviation. Aircraft is currently operates for Rhein-Neckar Air.

Sun-Air of Scandinavia currently operate a all D328Jet fleet. The aircraft are used to operate flights as part of the BA Franchise as well as operating charter flights under the JoinJet brand.

The 8 aircraft currently in BA Colours:

D-BMAD - Leased from MH Aviation. Unclear whether aircraft is configured with 31 or 32 seats
OY-NCL - Configured with 32 seats
OY-NCM - Configured with 32 seats
OY-NCN - Configured with 32 seats
OY-NCO - Configured with 32 seats. Aircraft is dedicated to operate BLL-LCY route.
OY-NCP - Configured with 32 seats
OY-NCU - Configured with 31 seats.
OY-NCW - Configured with 31 seats.

Aircraft in other liveries:

D-BSUN - Leased from MH Aviation and is NOT painted in BA colours (however used to op BA flights). Unclear whether aircraft is configured with 31 or 32 seats
OY-JJB - Configured with 14 seats. Aircraft is used to op private charters only.
OY-JJH - Configured with 32 seats and is NOT painted in BA colours (aircraft still in Basic Air Peace (previous owner) colours). Aircraft is mostly used to op private charters however has been used in the past to op BA flights.
OY-JJH - Configured with 32 seats. aircraft still in Basic Air Peace (Nigeria) colours. Aircraft is mostly used to op private charters however has been used in the past to op BA flights.
OY-NCJ - Configured with 32 seats. Aircraft is used to operate Airbus Staff shuttle routes.
OY-NCT - Configured with 32 seats. Aircraft is used to operate Airbus Staff shuttle routes.

Hotel Tango
20th Apr 2018, 09:17
Good info BAladdy, thanks. Incidentally, looking at my post again, I wasn't suggesting they only had one aircraft. I was only referring to the prop version of the 328.

BAladdy
20th Apr 2018, 09:53
Good info BAladdy, thanks. Incidentally, looking at my post again, I wasn't suggesting they only had one aircraft. I was only referring to the prop version of the 328.

I know you weren’t. What I meant was what is the aircraft reg of the prop aircraft shown on the aviation database. Was curious to know?

Xavi22
20th Apr 2018, 11:01
Thx BAladdy for the summary, pretty interesting.

So finally the 8 Jets in BA livery should be serve the summer schedule:
4 based in Billund (London-City, Dusseldorf, Manchester, Oslo, Bergen)
2 based in Aarhus (Stockholm-Bromma, Gothenborg, Oslo)
1 based in Aalborg (Oslo)
1 based in Friedrichshafen (Dusseldorf)

Like you've mentioned two aircrafts will operate the Airbus shuttle between Augsburg and Marseille.
1 based in Augsburg (Marseille)
1 based in Marseille (Augsburg)

Two other aircrafts are operated for JoinJet (1x business, 1x standard) and two more as spare or for charters and probably based in Billund?

Aren't there any regular flights between Cambridge and Scandinavia operated by Sun-Air?

Hotel Tango
20th Apr 2018, 14:10
BAladdy, it was D-CMHA.

BA318
20th Apr 2018, 14:36
Thx BAladdy for the summary, pretty interesting.

So finally the 8 Jets in BA livery should be serve the summer schedule:
4 based in Billund (London-City, Dusseldorf, Manchester, Oslo, Bergen)
2 based in Aarhus (Stockholm-Bromma, Gothenborg, Oslo)
1 based in Aalborg (Oslo)
1 based in Friedrichshafen (Dusseldorf)

Like you've mentioned two aircrafts will operate the Airbus shuttle between Augsburg and Marseille.
1 based in Augsburg (Marseille)
1 based in Marseille (Augsburg)

Two other aircrafts are operated for JoinJet (1x business, 1x standard) and two more as spare or for charters and probably based in Billund?

Aren't there any regular flights between Cambridge and Scandinavia operated by Sun-Air?

Sun Air operate Gothenburg-Cambridge-Manchester on behalf of GSK. It was originally open for the public to buy tickets but when they added the Manchester tag it became private (Cambridge also subsequently closed their terminal so no choice).

The96er
20th Apr 2018, 14:54
Sun Air operate Gothenburg-Cambridge-Manchester on behalf of GSK

I believe it's AstraZenca.

BA318
21st Apr 2018, 14:52
I believe it's AstraZenca.

Ah yes. Sorry my mistake!

virginblue
21st Apr 2018, 21:35
FDH hopes to get a second based aircraft at some point in the future for a FDH-HAM route.

Xavi22
21st Apr 2018, 22:22
Anybody know how Sun-Air is doing with Loadfactor?
I just can say that Dusseldorf isn't doing that bad, with an average PAX of 18 on DUS-BLL (about 56% LF) in the last 6 months.

virginblue
22nd Apr 2018, 12:00
DUS must be one of the routes with lowest load factors as it was one of the two remaining routes served regularly with Sun Air's 19seat Jetstream until a year or so ago (together with Bergen). I enjoyed quite a few nice rides in the Jetstream, earplugs included. It was always big fun to watch the faces of unsuspecting travellers with no prior experience on that route when the bus pulled up in front of the tiny prop in BA livery.

Xavi22
10th Jun 2018, 19:10
Sun-Air started flights from Friedrichshafen (FDH) to Dusseldorf (DUS) last Monday and based one Do328 at FDH Airport.
In case that FDH-DUS is running well, they think about adding FDH-HAM route.

SUN-AIR adds domestic Düsseldorf service (http://www.anna.aero/2018/06/06/sun-air-adds-dusseldorf-service/)

Xavi22
8th Aug 2018, 19:51
Seems that Sun-Air will add another D328 regarding planespotters, then will have in total 15 D328 Jets.

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Sun-Air-of-Scandinavia

virginblue
9th Aug 2018, 20:03
Given Sun Air's prolific use of 31seat Dornier 328s and even smaller Jetstream 31/41a before, I have been wondering how they used the three ATPs they operated between 1998 and 2006? Twice the capacity of the Dorniers and quite large for the type of routes that Sun Air has operated in the more recent past.

BA318
10th Aug 2018, 15:05
Looking at online photo libraries, it would appear they were regular visitors to Brussels, Dusseldorf, Oslo and Helsinki but also seen as far as Malaga, Ivalo and Innsbruck. Does anyone have an old schedule?

Xavi22
9th Oct 2018, 19:08
Regarding a local newspaper Sun-Air starts in January 2019 a new route from Friedrichshafen to Hamburg 11 times per week. In the current board magazine they also informed that Sun-Air gets two further Do 328.

https://www.schwaebische.de/landkreis/bodenseekreis/friedrichshafen_artikel,-sun-air-fliegt-von-friedrichshafen-nach-hamburg-_arid,10945252.html

harriewillem
9th Oct 2018, 19:59
regarding a local newspaper sun-air starts in january 2019 a new route from friedrichshafen to hamburg 11 times per week. In the current board magazine they also informed that sun-air gets two further do 328.

https://www.schwaebische.de/landkreis/bodenseekreis/friedrichshafen_artikel,-sun-air-fliegt-von-friedrichshafen-nach-hamburg-_arid,10945252.html

intersky - failed
vlm - failed
sun air - good luck

Xavi22
13th Oct 2018, 07:12
But this was not because of the FDH-HAM route ^^
Sun-Air seems to be very careful with opening new routes, just had the bad experience in Bremen when they flew to London-City and Manchester and had to close the base after couple months due to low load factors.

Intersky was attacked by LCC Germanwings on Friedrichshafen - Cologne/Bonn. Intersky tried to fight back on this route, finally made lot of losses on this route. Couple years later Germanwings attacked on the Karlsruhe - Hamburg route, finally Intersky left Karlsruhe. So if you get "attacked" on about 25% of your routes, not that easy. As well once they bought their bigger 70seats, they got in trouble to fill it as they usually flew with 50 seats.

In the whole VLM network was the FDH-HAM route the best route, so they must burnt their money already in some previous routes (ANR-SOU, ANR-HAM, RTM-HAM, WAT-BHX for example with loadfactors <40% and also no high yield).

Xavi22
7th Feb 2019, 17:58
Sun-Air increased profit and turnover in 2018 in comparion to 2017

Turnover from 429 Mio. DKK to 465 Mio. DKK --> +8%
Profit from 2,9 Mio. DKK to 5,2 Mio. DKK --> +79%

As well they want to start the route Bremen - Toulouse as a partial corporte shuttle for Airbus in spring.
https://finans.dk/finans2/ECE11177162/midlertidig-atpchef-oensker-ikke-topjobbet-jeg-vaegter-mit-privatliv-hoejt/?ctxref=ext
https://www.jv.dk/billund/Billund-flyselskabet-Sun-Air-leverer-overskud-for-41-aar-i-traek/artikel/2685550

BAladdy
29th Oct 2020, 12:05
Sun-Air of Scandinavia have this week extended the suspension of all scheduled flights until at least 30th August 2021.

https://check-in.dk/ingen-sun-air-ruteflyvninger-foer-august-2021/

Ex Cargo Clown
29th Oct 2020, 15:04
Pretty sure they'll still be operating the Astra Zeneca flights. Especially at the moment.

The96er
29th Oct 2020, 15:06
Pretty sure they'll still be operating the Astra Zeneca flights. Especially at the moment.

The Astra Zeneca flights have not operated since March.

Jenny Tails
29th Oct 2020, 16:14
Sun-Air of Scandinavia have this week extended the suspension of all scheduled flights until at least 30th August 2021.

https://check-in.dk/ingen-sun-air-ruteflyvninger-foer-august-2021/

Sensible. Hopefully by then things will start to clear a bit.