PDA

View Full Version : Indian Internet

ORAC
19th Apr 2018, 06:04
The first Indian call centre mayhap.....

Hindus invented internet 9,000 years ago, minister says (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/hindus-invented-internet-9-000-years-ago-minister-says-c8rxrlzhs)

A minister in India’s ruling party has claimed that the internet was invented by Hindus more than 9,000 years ago in the latest example of nationalists laying claim to western inventions.

Putting the achievements of Sir Tim Berners-Lee, Vinton Cerf and Robert Kahn firmly in their place, Biplab Kumar Deb, chief minister for the northeastern state of Tripura, cited the Mahabharata, the Sanskrit epic of ancient India, as evidence. Mr Deb, who represents the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) of Narendra Modi, the prime minister, claimed that the existence of modern satellite technology and the worldwide web in about 7,000BC was the only reasonable explanation for the accounts of battles retold in the Mahabharata.

“How could Sanjaya [the charioteer of King Dhritarashtra] give a detailed account and description to the blind king about the battle of Kurukshetra?” Mr Deb asked. “It means internet was there, the satellites and that technology was there in this country at that time. European countries can claim that they invented the technology but in reality the technology was ours.”

This is not the first time that BJP ideologues have said that modern technology was rooted in ancient India. Others have claimed the aeroplane for India, while Mr Modi himself has cited the elephant-headed Hindu god Ganesh as evidence that genetic science existed several thousand years ago. “There must have been some plastic surgeon at that time who got an elephant’s head on the body of a human being,” Mr Modi said in 2014.

Mr Deb was less impressed with the internet’s response to his claim, but dismissed the widespread ridicule on social media. “Narrow-minded people find it tough to believe this. They want to belittle their own nation and think highly of other countries. Believe the truth,” he said yesterday.

sitigeltfel
19th Apr 2018, 07:09
Don't be silly, everyone knows it was Al Gore!

:p

Octane
19th Apr 2018, 08:49
Complete nutter. Frightening really when you consider some of the people around in positions of power.
Not restricted to the 3rd world of course. The worlds greatest most powerful "God blessed" nation springs to mind...

Thomas coupling
19th Apr 2018, 10:15
Surely the internet could only have been invented once the letter "w" was invented, giving us www?
That puts it at aroud 700 or 800AD.

I'm much more comfortable believing this theory :uhoh:

Muffin Themule
19th Apr 2018, 11:53
Cannot be true! Any fule no the earth was created 6000 years ago. Don't believe me? Ask any of those DUP MPs who are currently propping up HM Govenrnment.

VP959
19th Apr 2018, 12:01
Not politically correct, I know, but this thread reminds me of the quote by Prince Philllip when he was (I think) walking around a factory and looking at some wiring, where he said something to the effect of "it looks like it was wired by Indians".

Having seen some images of some wiring in India, I think I can understand what he meant:

https://www.pprune.org/members/59439-vp959-albums-vps-photos-picture1146-indian-wiring.jpg

under_exposed
19th Apr 2018, 12:51
Surely the internet could only have been invented once the letter "w" was invented, giving us www?
That puts it at aroud 700 or 800AD.

I'm much more comfortable believing this theory :uhoh:

You are forgetting the internet predates the World Wide Web.

meadowrun
19th Apr 2018, 12:55
This is what happens when parents do not tell their children that fairy tales are not real.

Lonewolf_50
19th Apr 2018, 20:42
Meadowrun: the hell ya say! Are you telling me that Broke Back Mountain wasn't a documentary? :eek: :E

hiflymk3
19th Apr 2018, 22:12
Did they have scammer call centres back then?

packapoo
19th Apr 2018, 23:25
This is completely believable.

I mean, every one I've ever met reckoned they were either a rocket scientist of a brain surgeon....

G-CPTN
19th Apr 2018, 23:30
I am reminded of the Goodness Gracious me sketch:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tw7LIykvBw

and:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8ldUN7cpZg

and also:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olF4kpkiWys

Tankertrashnav
19th Apr 2018, 23:36
Beat me to it G-CPTN - I'd been looking for this on You Tube and you've done it for me. First thing I thought of when I read the report. :ok:

tartare
19th Apr 2018, 23:56
Not politically correct, I know, but this thread reminds me of the quote by Prince Philllip when he was (I think) walking around a factory and looking at some wiring, where he said something to the effect of "it looks like it was wired by Indians".

Having seen some images of some wiring in India, I think I can understand what he meant:

https://www.pprune.org/members/59439-vp959-albums-vps-photos-picture1146-indian-wiring.jpg

No, No... cowboys.

Captain Dart
20th Apr 2018, 00:14
Around my parts in AUS, the Minister seems almost vindicated. Many of the women appear to have had an elephant’s bum grafted on.

ORAC
20th Apr 2018, 06:46
Tartare, nothing new, early USA......

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/10/3f/cb/103fcbb7cca8ec49a5bd3f4ce2de7536.jpg

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--2hK0yJMr--/c_fill,f_auto,fl_progressive,g_center,h_675,q_80,w_1200/fhdmgmc9dvhkopkxie2m.jpg

treadigraph
20th Apr 2018, 07:27
Orac, that's not telecommunications, that's a knitting machine.

Must be making a cable stitch sweater...

B Fraser
20th Apr 2018, 07:31
This explains why those t*ssers who call me up to fix my computer all seem to be in the same place. With thousands of years of experience, they must be experts. I refuse to deal with them on the grounds that their employers are prejudiced. They only give jobs to people with western names such as Joey or Ricky. There's never a Naveed or a Sanjay. Racist barstewards !

:E

IFMU
20th Apr 2018, 12:54
I was in Bangalore last year and the internet worked stunningly. Seems plausible they invented it thousands of years ago and have since been perfecting it.

ORAC
3rd Jul 2018, 07:00
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/darwin-was-wrong-on-evolution-indian-minister-satyapal-singh-declares-bg33r3fk3

Charles Darwin was wrong on evolution, Indian minister declares

An Indian government minister has denounced the theory of evolution as “scientifically wrong” and a legacy of British colonial rule, vowing to debunk Charles Darwin with a new Hindu theory on the origin of species.

Satyapal Singh, the minister for higher education, asserted that “my ancestors were not apes”, calling for the theory of evolution to be struck out from the curriculum, saying that it was part of the “mentality of the British” that still dogged modern India. Mr Singh, a former chemistry PhD graduate and police commissioner for Mumbai, said he would produce documentary evidence that would disprove Darwin in his forthcoming book. “

I am an educated politician and I am proud of it . . . If not tomorrow, then in 10 to 20 years, people will accept what I said. At least, I believe that my ancestors were not apes,” he told a nationalist conference at the weekend. India’s greatest blunder since independence had been to retain the British education system, he added, reinforcing the imperialist mentality of the West. The curriculum should be overhauled, he said, to reflect Hindu contributions to science........

Mr Singh has made similar comments before. Along with Darwin he has claimed that Hindu scripture defined laws of motion long before Isaac Newton. He was reprimanded by the government this year and accused of trying to “dilute science”.

B Fraser
3rd Jul 2018, 07:35
The curriculum should be overhauled, he said, to reflect Hindu contributions to science......

Well that's Monday morning taken care of, what are they going to teach for the rest of the week ?

pax britanica
3rd Jul 2018, 07:45
The very funny British Asian TV show Goodness gracious me had a character that was always proclaiming events and inventions were really Indian , in a blinkered nationalistic way ( alittle reminiscent of parts of JB) . Other memorable scenes were the loutish lads and girls ona night out in a British restaurant demanding- 'Whats the blandest thing you've got mate-I ll 'ave that' So prhaps its a bit of a stereotypical thing in Indian cutlure to claim we did it first. Not alone there though are they.

Mind you the Indian minister was way of on one thing satellites are no use for the internet as they cannot manage high speed data so over 95% of global Internet traffic is carried on subsea cables which were invented by the British -well mostly

G-CPTN
3rd Jul 2018, 07:53
The very funny British Asian TV show Goodness gracious me had a character that was always proclaiming events and inventions were really Indian , in a blinkered nationalistic way ( alittle reminiscent of parts of JB) . Other memorable scenes were the loutish lads and girls ona night out in a British restaurant demanding- 'Whats the blandest thing you've got mate-I ll 'ave that' So prhaps its a bit of a stereotypical thing in Indian cutlure to claim we did it first. Not alone there though are they.

See here . . . (https://www.pprune.org/10124448-post12.html)

Dan_Brown
3rd Jul 2018, 08:36
If the ministers claim is true, there must have been an event of catistrofic purportions since then. Why? Well you just have to look at the place now.

Ogre
3rd Jul 2018, 11:23
You are forgetting the internet predates the World Wide Web.

The original concept goes back to ARPANET doesn't it?

ORAC
3rd Jul 2018, 11:58
It evolved from it.

No , wait....

ORAC
6th Jul 2018, 07:58
For gid’s Sake please dont let anyone mention it to the Prince of Wales.......

The Times: Farmers in India fertilise fields with prayer and meditation

The government of the Indian state of Goa is promoting “cosmic farming” to channel spiritual energy into the soil.

Vijai Sardesai, the agriculture minister, said that local farmers should sit and meditate in their fields, chanting Vedic prayers as a holistic alternative to chemical fertilisers. Promotional videos from the state government have gone viral on WhatsApp in rural communities.

The state government, led by Narendra Modi’s Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), has also employed the Hindu guru Avdhoot Baba Shivanand, who is known as “Babaji”, to host workshops on meditation for farmers. Mr Shivanand has described the technique as “tapping the cosmic shakti through the third eye”. He said that 20 minutes of intensive meditation after seeds are sown can accelerate their bond with the soil and increase yields. His videos encourage farmers to drown out “negative destructive sounds around the field” and push “the universe’s positive vibrations towards healthier seed germination”.

Mr Sardesai said that he had been convinced to try the unusual method by his wife, who tested cosmic farming on the orchid flowers on their porch. “I was sceptical at first too but it’s not magic,” Mr Sardesai told the newspaper Indian Express. “There are studies backing this method. After meeting Babaji and reading his studies I am also convinced. The general thrust is to focus the energy into the soil, be less dependent on fertilisers.”

The prime minister, Mr Modi, and his Hindu nationalist government have promoted a resurgence of traditional Indian knowledge and techniques in many elements of society. Religion has assumed greater prominence and the BJP has promoted yoga and traditional Hindu medicine, known as ayurveda......

ORAC
7th Jan 2019, 07:37
Apparently the also invented stem cell research, aircraft and guided missiles.....

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/07/india-scientists-claim-ancient-hindus-invented-stem-cell-research-dismiss-einstein

India outcry after scientists claim ancient Hindus invented stem cell research

The organisers of a major Indian science conference distanced themselves on Sunday from speakers who used the prestigious event to dismiss Einstein’s discoveries and claim ancient Hindus invented stem cell research. The Indian Scientific Congress Association expressed “serious concern” as the unorthodox remarks aired by prominent academics at its annual conference attracted condemnation and ridicule.

The distinguished gathering of Indian researchers and scientists, which was held over the weekend, hosts Nobel laureates, but in recent years has seen Hindu faith-based theories edging onto the agenda.

At this year’s congress, the head of a southern Indian university cited an ancient Hindu text as proof that stem cell research was discovered on the subcontinent thousands of years ago. “We had 100 Kauravas from one mother because of stem cell and test tube technology,” said G. Nageshwar Rao, vice chancellor at Andhra University, referring to a story from the Hindu epic Mahabharata.
Rao, who was addressing school children and scientists at the event, also said a demon king from another centuries-old Hindu epic had two dozen aircraft and a network of landing strips in modern-day Sri Lanka. “Hindu Lord Vishnu used guided missiles known as ‘Vishnu Chakra’ and chased moving targets,” added the professor of inorganic chemistry.

Event organisers tried to hose down the remarks, saying it was “unfortunate” the prestigious event had been derailed by controversy. “We don’t subscribe to their views and distance ourselves from their comments. This is unfortunate,” said Premendu P Mathur, general secretary of Indian Scientific Congress Association. “There is a serious concern about such kind of utterances by responsible people.”

Another speaker, a scientist from a university in southern Tamil Nadu state, also raised eyebrows by questioning the breakthroughs of Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein.

India (https://www.theguardian.com/world/india) is no stranger to prominent figures citing ancient Hindu texts like the Puranas and Vedas as ironclad evidence of the country’s technological prowess.

India’s minister for higher education Satyapal Singh last year said Darwin’s theory of evolution was wrong (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/jan/23/indian-education-minister-dismisses-theory-of-evolution-satyapal-singh), and vowed to change the national school curriculum to reflect that......

BJP leader and prime minister Narendra Modi in 2015 pointed to Hindu scriptures as proof that plastic surgery existed in ancient India (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/28/indian-prime-minister-genetic-science-existed-ancient-times).

Science minister Harsh Vardhan last year said ancient Greeks took credit from India for early mathematical principles and misquoted Stephen Hawking as praising the Vedas for discoveries greater than Einstein’s theory of relativity.......

Pontius Navigator
7th Jan 2019, 09:08
Reminds me of the joke, the usual 3 country one, where different excavations were used to prove prior existence of advanced civilisation. I can't remember the whole but the end was Paddy who had dug down hundreds of feet and found absolutely nothing this proving that the Irish had used Satellite Comms when others were still using land lines.