PDA

View Full Version : Does May Roster's Looks OK ?!

sweetlife
18th Apr 2018, 08:33
Good day ladies and Gents

just wondering does May Roster look right at all ..? my bids were East end up with the worst West Roster ever.
no days off any Ideas if the system is functioning or not .?! seems like some are getting nice roster's to spasific destination continuously is that true .?! am Confused 😐

Fuzuma
18th Apr 2018, 08:52
That sounds like any other month!

Sandy_Charmer
18th Apr 2018, 09:06
AKA fighting 2 fires with only one, half full fire extiguisher.

halas
18th Apr 2018, 10:28
KBL, BSR, BOM as stocking fillers. As usual.

halas

cheerios
18th Apr 2018, 11:26
Bottom bid

11 XX days
15 with rest days
3 layovers (1 USA requested, 2 Europe)
3 turns (1 night)

83 hours

777-200LR
18th Apr 2018, 14:49
Just A few facts
The A380 on average does 40 turns a month
The 777 on average does roughly 3600-4000 turns a month

The math speaks for itself. Unless they create a ‘short haul’ roster for those who would want to bid for it, you’ll get anywhere from 2-6 TAs a month regardless of bid priority

Schnowzer
18th Apr 2018, 15:11
Just A few facts
The A380 on average does 40 turns a month
The 777 on average does roughly 3600-4000 turns a month

The math speaks for itself. Unless they create a ‘short haul’ roster for those who would want to bid for it, you’ll get anywhere from 2-6 TAs a month regardless of bid priority

But that’s because the 777 is a much more flexible and capable aircraft. You should take the 40 Bus turns too. By the way I think that might be a slight underestimate but you can still have them all as without doubt the trip is better at them.

donpizmeov
18th Apr 2018, 15:35
I think I need 777-200 to do my tax return.

KippaLippa
18th Apr 2018, 15:39
works for me.
got the days off I asked for,
got my preferred trips,
94 hours,
1 sim
16 days OFF (XX)

KL

CaptainChipotle
18th Apr 2018, 15:49
Bottom bid

11 XX days
15 with rest days
3 layovers (1 USA requested, 2 Europe)
3 turns (1 night)

83 hours

If you count a rest day as a day off, you are EXACTLY the kind of pilot they want.

It's not a day off. Period.

donpizmeov
18th Apr 2018, 22:39
A couple of years ago the 777 roster was a lot better than the bus roster. At the moment the bus rosters are better. Don't count on it staying that way.

fatbus
19th Apr 2018, 05:21
Ok then it's 11! One could also look at the number of nights away.

Ghost_Rider737
19th Apr 2018, 11:48
I wonder how a B777 or A380 roster at Korean compares to EK.....

Maybe someone from EK who jumped ship to KAL or vice versa can elaborate ??

motley flight crue
19th Apr 2018, 13:04
A friend shows me his Korean roster regularly. 11 days off is very nice. The rest is just appalling, really horrible stuff.

mmmbop
19th Apr 2018, 13:04
works for me.

KL

When somebody says a month comprising 94hrs plus a sim 'works for me' then you know there is no hope of improvement.

dubaigong
19th Apr 2018, 13:29
" works for him " NOW , let's see in a few years...

FlyingUpsideDown
19th Apr 2018, 13:34

Everyone who joined KAL ex EK has now left for China....Says a lot really

SOPS
19th Apr 2018, 15:05
Everyone..that is a big call...

KippaLippa
19th Apr 2018, 17:38
mmmbop dubaigong

my friends, thread starter asked:
"any Ideas if the system is functioning or not .?!"

so, yes, I should have stated "functions for me".

for me, what'd really work would be quitting flying altogether, but we already discussed this in another thread not long ago....

have a nice day
KL

Gunman returns
19th Apr 2018, 22:01
So apart from the unintelligible English grammar and punctuation ( no wonder the management don’t take us seriously )
Mid bid group this month and I only got trips that I bid for. Last 2 bottom bids had only one turm each month( 777). Working OK so far!

desert witch
19th Apr 2018, 22:28
A380 does daily turns to KWI, JED, and BOM, which actually results in 36 TAs during a 30 day month

Can you do my taxes as well as Don's??
My calculator is much more generous than yours.
Or are you sleep-pruning again??
Cheers.

Ghost_Rider737
20th Apr 2018, 04:42
works for me.
got the days off I asked for,
got my preferred trips,
94 hours,
1 sim
16 days OFF (XX)

KL

I have never in my career flown 94 hours and did Sim in the same month. Are these guys insane ? Is this common practice or a once off anomaly ??

With 16 days off , you are flying 94 hours in 15 days ? How is that possible ? Are your rest periods between flights "sufficient" to get you well rested for your next trip ?

BANANASBANANAS
20th Apr 2018, 05:08
My May roster is ok. No more no less.

I got most of what I bid for, and a nice trip that I didn’t bid for. Top bid group, 80 hours.
Being a doddering old git, who still tries to enjoy going to work, quality of life is more important than $ to me.
Unfortunately for EK, the only way I can see them adressing the qol issues (= roster satisfaction) is by throwing a lot of $ in our direction.

As the Chinese proverb says; ‘May you live in interesting times!’

dustyflightdeck
20th Apr 2018, 05:32
Nothing I bid for. 92hrs, a few war zones in for good measure. Works for me :)

LongRangeNav
20th Apr 2018, 06:02
Whilst I haven’t drunk the cool-aid, it is a positive note to see our latest leader stand up and apologise to the minions that the roster was late and there are problems. It’s a small step but at least in a positive direction. Long may the channels of communication be opened up and remain open. I’m sceptical, but hey, lets see what happens.

nakbin330
20th Apr 2018, 06:59
15 days leave.
5 days off (xx).
>50 hours.

fliion
20th Apr 2018, 09:38
Whilst I haven’t drunk the cool-aid, it is a positive note to see our latest leader stand up and apologise to the minions that the roster was late and there are problems. It’s a small step but at least in a positive direction. Long may the channels of communication be opened up and remain open. I’m sceptical, but hey, lets see what happens.

While I agree his tone is friendly & welcome - it’s like apologizing to our passenger for a ground delay of three hours at origin AFTER we reach the destination.

It should have been done on or before 16th.

No matter how hard they try - they still can’t get the simple things right.

He deserves a chance for sure. But I wonder if he realizes all his Mulligans will be burned if this Pay review is not up to par.

Easy Peasy
20th Apr 2018, 15:02
[QUOTE=fliion;10124831

He deserves a chance for sure. But I wonder if he realizes all his Mulligans will be burned if this Pay review is not up to par.[/QUOTE]

Are you going to quit if he burns all his Mulligans? No.

mmmbop
20th Apr 2018, 16:10

Those who can will. Like those of us before. So don't be presumptuous and say he won't, because maybe he isn't shackled to EK like some are.

shukran
20th Apr 2018, 16:32
As an outsider, I personally think it’s a reflection on who your management are now hiring.

lol, my thoughts exactly (as an ex-employee).

donpizmeov
20th Apr 2018, 16:34
BBJ will go the same way as that ex Air Berlin muppet when threatened with his job by ATC. Anyone thinking of positive change will be disappointed if flight ops goes the same direction as service delivery is heading.

Monarch Man
20th Apr 2018, 18:15
Exactly Don, there’s only one direction of travel.

fliion
21st Apr 2018, 00:35

Point missed. It’s not about what any one individual does - it’s about reversing a trend that will leave hundreds of millions of dollars worth of airplanes parked in the desert.

cheerios
21st Apr 2018, 06:44
If you count a rest day as a day off, you are EXACTLY the kind of pilot they want.

It's not a day off. Period.

OK there Chipotle.

All I know is that I get to spend that rest day with my kids and just end up going to bed at the same time as them to get a few hours sleep before the flight.

Enjoy your misery.

cheerios
21st Apr 2018, 12:50
Cheerios - glad you're so pleased about it all, once you've been here for at least a few years then maybe you will think differently.

As for my May roster
1 ULR
2 Layovers (7hours+ flight time)
3 Turnarounds
1 day Ground school
2 days PPC
1 day Ground Duty
9 XX days

75 flight hours, no ability to swap as now the limited number of days off restricts the swaps!
B777 LHS
Bidded for 5 days off and they put a turnaround slap bang in the middle of the days I wanted!:mad:

LHS 777
8.5 years

RK Blue sky
21st Apr 2018, 16:27
You really love the Kool-Aid don’t you Cheerios?
Can’t go home, ahe?

cheerios
22nd Apr 2018, 02:14
You really love the Kool-Aid don’t you Cheerios?
Can’t go home, ahe?

Why would you assume I can't go home?

Perhaps I'm a Costa Dwelling, Management Stooge. Or a troll.

skysod
23rd Apr 2018, 09:32
At least you've got them.....still waiting for them across the road!��

RK Blue sky
25th Apr 2018, 09:57
Why would you assume I can't go home?

Perhaps I'm a Costa Dwelling, Management Stooge. Or a troll.

if you’re telling yourself that EK is good for you and you’re happy then you are in a serious case of Stockholm Syndrome.
With everything going on here and you like Emirates something is missing alright.

dustyflightdeck
25th Apr 2018, 10:59
Cheerios it’s no use trying to convince people on here.
I have a few guys I know at EK and it is a mixed bag.......... I hate the U.K for many reasons UK tax being in my number 1. London is great but getting so expensive......... Working for a TP operator doing 160-190 hrs duty is tough, earlier to lates and even lates to earlier in a 5 day block!! Yes it is possible. Will I be happy at EK? No one can answer that until I have tried. Will I like Dubai? I have been there a few times and it’s not bad, it feels a lot safer than U.K and it’s not as expensive as London.
At least in EK I should be able to save.

I need to clarify a few things for you aiminghigh, that I feel you should know and it seems that you do not.

1.) Dubai has taxes, not in the form of personal income taxes but they exist. VAT minimum 5%, often more because they marked up the price higher. Fees on just about everything. You won't see those until you sign up to services here. And it is getting worse every month. I am genuinely shocked by how expensive Dubai is getting.
2.) Dubai is a very expensive city. It may not seem like it when you come on holiday, but trust me it is. I did significant research and budgets before I joined EK and it came up well short. This place takes you by surprise. Things are also getting more expensive very quickly and I highly doubt the salary will move much. I genuinely fear that my savings, while good at the moment, are going to decline in the coming years and I will have come to dxb for nothing.
3.) I'm sure your turbo prop job is tough, but this will be tougher. You are going to join the 777 with your experience. I hope you are ready to start work at midnight most shifts, do 12 hr night turns, then east, west, up down left and right. I was warned by a colleague here before I joined but couldn't comprehend it. WELL I DO NOW!
4.) Will you be happy here? I don't know, how do you feel about being told you can't bring alcohol in any more, or any thing for that matter without paying tax and fees or we fine you 1000 dirhams and take your items?. Or maybe EK screening your guests to your apartment and storing their ID's in a data base? I didn't mind for the first year.... then it started to nag at me. I''m not unhappy here, but the constant taking away of my basic freedoms is wearing thin quickly. My wife is also becoming fed up with it. I can't even bring home a nice bottle of wine from Italy or South Africa anymore without paying 150% tax on it at crew arrivals, in cash. That was something we really enjoyed. Now it is gone.
On the plus side, Dubai is very safe but then again they don't report anything bad on the news here so who really knows ?
5.) There is a big difference between visiting Dubai and living here. You will learn that also.
6.) Yes you should be able to save, if you are frugal. I try really hard, my wife works a job also and yet I still find myself wondering where my money goes . Big costs appear from no where here, you cannot avoid it.

Come if you want, do the interview and see. Talk to people here. I was warned here too many years ago and came any way, but you never really know until you join. I will tell you this, almost every commander i fly with is planning to leave or is in the process of doing so. So many have job interviews now I have lost count. I have never experienced such a thing in any other airline I have worked for. It speaks volumes about EK. I won't tell you not to join, you can make up your own mind but for the love of god if you do then make sure you do it right and don't fall into the trap like many do. The job has its moments and at times I really enjoy it, but there is just so much happening over here right now that I have to slap myself and wonder how did I not see this before ??

harry the cod
25th Apr 2018, 17:38
There are 'Cities' outside of London too.....and civilisation! It's not all sheep, tractors and wholly hats the minute you go outside the M25 corridor. You don't even need a passport apparently....

shukran
25th Apr 2018, 19:22
Sorry for the thread drift.
My May UK TP operator 70hrs Duty Hours 165 with 4 days of standby. 9 days off for whole month. Bring on summer.

lol, wait for your EK roster if you end up in DXB....

dustyflightdeck
25th Apr 2018, 22:50
Dusty,

Sent you a pm

Dogsofwar
26th Apr 2018, 08:57

Korean Air is suffering from pilot shortages as well and as a result hrs are up and the only time off during a work cycle seems to be down route with most time off in ICN being minimum rest! The biggest fly in the ointment here being the factoring that goes on to ensure our hrs are kept below the overtime threshold of 75! You guys are well aware of this in EK so I don’t need to add how high our actual hrs are.

However as always the time off is the saving grace here, speaking as one who left EK a few years back, I do not miss it, my family and I are extremely happy at home and we look back at EK as a nightmare we endured, it payed a lot of bills and lined the coffers but at a price! I have many friends still in dubai, there stories continue to amaze me. Good luck to all there. I hope you receive something resembling your efforts in this years bonus and pay review!

BigGeordie
26th Apr 2018, 08:58
Aiminghigh, I've been in Dubai for over a decade but have kept a property in the UK for all of that time and travel back about 4 times a year, my wife a bit more. Prices in the UK have gone up in that time but there is absolutely no comparison with the out of control inflation Dubai has seen (and is still seeing) during those years. As has been said before it is the hidden costs that mount up.

Mister Warning
27th Apr 2018, 20:33
18 years in the ME with the majority at EK and my advice would be to think long term. Getting back to a good job at home despite your extensive experience is difficult if not impossible. I have taken a 70% pay cut to achieve it.

ERJ190
1st May 2018, 03:50
I have a question for those who already work for EK...how often are you guys able to visit your home country based on both A380 and 777 rosters? Once a year or a bit more?

BobDole
1st May 2018, 18:54
Depends where you are from... more like a bit less.

ERJ190
1st May 2018, 19:54
Depends where you are from... more like a bit less.

Hahaha
I mean far places, like Brazil.
Thats why Im thinking about applying to the commute cargo roster...just because of it. Not happy with my actual earning and there's nothing better than EK around here, but still don't want to leave my family (parents etc) for almost forever...my father had a illness last year and thats a huge concern for myself.

mmmbop
1st May 2018, 22:16
ERJ190, You are aware of what the wonderful, caring Employer EK has just done to the Cargo pilots?

You can probably get an average of about 6-8 GIGs or GRUs per year on the Pax fleet. Probably. But I don't know if both are serviced by the same fleet anymore, or if they are split between 777/380 so that may affect your odds.

ERJ190
2nd May 2018, 00:30
ERJ190, You are aware of what the wonderful, caring Employer EK has just done to the Cargo pilots?

I'm aware they are flying pax rosters too...but somehow I feel like I have no other option if I want to improve my financial life and career. Current working for a Low Cost with a salary of 2300USD/month as FO in a emb190, 3000h and able to get ATPL but no airbus or Boeing TR. My plan was to move to Dubai in the next few years, but my wife has a good job here (I don't think she would find any in Dubai) and I have some family problems that makes me believe the commuting roster is the only option...I know that this is bad for anyone once the right thing would be everyone rejecting those conditions in order to improve it for us all, but aviation in South America aint easy...

BANANASBANANAS
2nd May 2018, 08:07
Hahaha
I mean far places, like Brazil.
Thats why Im thinking about applying to the commute cargo roster...just because of it. Not happy with my actual earning and there's nothing better than EK around here, but still don't want to leave my family (parents etc) for almost forever...my father had a illness last year and thats a huge concern for myself.

ERJ190

The Cargo contract is many things but a commuting contract it most certainly is not!

You are based in Dubai and happen to get blocks of 13 days off in a row in exchange for a 15% cut in basic salary and a whole lot of other degradations to your terms and conditions.

What you choose to do with those days off at base is up to you. If you wish to travel to see family in Brazil you will do it at your own considerable expense and suffer the stress of not getting back to Dubai on a subload ticket for your next rostered duty or go broke by paying for a confirmed seat.

The cargo contract is NOT a commuting contract.