PDA

View Full Version : RIP Barbara Bush, First Lady, Presidential Mom

vapilot2004
18th Apr 2018, 03:20
Former First Lady and mother of George W Bush died today at the age of 92. She will be remembered as a smart and witty woman with a sometimes acerbic wit that was rarely lost on her family and those that knew her.

At 22 years old, she left her comfortable life in NY and joined her new husband, George Prescott Walker Bush for a life of adventure in a dusty small town in Texas - in search of oil. According to the NYT, the Bushes moved a total of 26 times before reaching the White House in 1989.

Barbara Bush was a lifelong volunteer, helping people less fortunate, working with AIDS patients, the homeless, was an early supporter of Civil Rights (she insisted her press secretary be a woman of color, and worked to raise money for the United Negro College Fund) and fostered a national literacy program that was the central issue she focused on while First Lady.

She was a woman of grace and poise and not afraid of speaking her mind. During the tempestuous 2016 election, both herself and her husband, former President Bush (41) voted for Hillary Clinton, despite their party's selection of Donald Trump as their nominee.

Of Trump, Bush said, "“He’s said terrible things about women, terrible things about the military, I don’t understand why people are for him.”

As a youth and resident of Virginia, I worked as a volunteer to elect the elder Bush and got to meet the then VP and his wife at several rallies and a couple of fundraisers. They were extremely kind, down to earth, and really, truly funny people to be around.

One of the most endearing stories of their simple kindness was when George Sr arrived in Washington for his first job as a newly elected US Congressman from Texas. It was during a bad winter storm, and roads were closed and hotels booked. The movers started to bring in their furniture and were prepared to subsequently leave and sleep in the moving van, but the Bushes insisted they just bring in the beds and then told the crew they were staying the night with them in their house. Common decency really, something sorely lacking in much of the world today.

In 1988 she wrote of her hopes of a legacy:

"“I want to be known as a wife, a mother, a grandmother. That’s what I am. And I’d like to be known as someone who really cared about people and worked very, very hard to make America more literate.”

Barbara, George Sr and George Jr in Texas, 1954:

http://i66.tinypic.com/14bl0jk.jpg

Graduation photo, 1943, Charleston, SC

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-01/18/14/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-02/sub-buzz-10194-1484766845-1.jpg?downsize=715:*&output-format=auto&output-quality=auto

jack11111
18th Apr 2018, 03:55
A very decent Lady. We need more like her.

West Coast
18th Apr 2018, 04:28
A very decent Lady. We need more like her.

Yes she was and yes we do.

RIP

pattern_is_full
18th Apr 2018, 06:03
Without a doubt my all-time favorite Republican to live in the White House.

:(

vapilot2004
18th Apr 2018, 07:45

:(

Me as well.

Buzzfeed has brought together a nice collection of images: The Life Of Former First Lady Barbara Bush In Photos (https://www.buzzfeed.com/laurageiser/the-life-of-former-first-lady-barbara-bush-in-photos?bfsource=bbf_enus&utm_term=.hdv01GZOR#.qbeGna2DR)

cavuman1
18th Apr 2018, 22:27
Good on you, Vapilot2004, for starting this thread! Though I often find myself in disagreement with your politics, you have my whole-hearted support in your contribution to a well-deserved honorific for Barbara Pierce Bush.

My ex-mother-in-law, a native of Ireland who ran the House dining room in the Capitol, knew #41 from his early days in Congress. They grew to be best friends; she was given a personal guided tour of the White House by President and Mrs. Bush. They retired to the upstairs residence where some excellent bourbon was enjoyed. My then m-i-l told us that she had made a new and valued friend that day.

My brother was a fraternity classmate (St. Anthony's at the University of Virginia) of Marvin Bush, Barbara's and George's youngest son. This thread is not the proper place to speak of their frequent shenanigans, but my brother spent some time under Mrs. Bush's roof and said that she was "nothing but a complete class act and funny as Hell"!

It speaks to her character and courage that she is mourned by this Nation and the World.

- Ed

tartare
18th Apr 2018, 23:19
An old school republican with grace, class and wit.
I am led to believe they still exist... somewhere...
Remembered fondly in Australia and New Zealand.
RIP Mrs Bush.

tdracer
19th Apr 2018, 02:26
Definitely a woman with class - may she rest in peace.

Ah, Pattern and VA, you do know that Abe Lincoln was a Republican, right?

If you amend that to "during my lifetime", then I wouldn't disagree (I rather liked Eisenhower - even in hindsight, but I suspect he pre-dates you).

ramble on
19th Apr 2018, 02:48
Very sad to compare the class act now in power!

The greatest generations are nearly gone...make the most of the few left.

pattern_is_full
19th Apr 2018, 03:50
tdracer - that did occur to me later, but, yes - in my personal experience.

I will reserve any comments of Lincoln or Ike (they would be IMHO complimentary) to prevent this memorial thread from getting contaminated with present-day politics.

Rwy in Sight
19th Apr 2018, 12:10
Definitely a woman with class - may she rest in peace.

Ah, Pattern and VA, you do know that Abe Lincoln was a Republican, right?

If you amend that to "during my lifetime", then I wouldn't disagree (I rather liked Eisenhower - even in hindsight, but I suspect he pre-dates you).

My dentist is US trained and has spent some time there. One day we discussed US politics. She thought Ford was the best president in her life time - I supported Reagan because he is the one who won the Cold War.

Regarding BB. A fine lady indeed.

Lonewolf_50
19th Apr 2018, 14:06
@RwyInSight) While Ford was underappreciated, his wife Betty was also a classy lady.

*tips cap to Barbara Bush*
Barbara Bush's family is blood related to President Franklin Pierce, our 14th president. (Whose time in office convinced his party to run someone else the next time). As all of his children died, one of his seven siblings I think is the great or great great grandfather of Barbara. She was the wife, mother and great-great-grandniece of presidents.

I saw her on the tonight show once, IIRC with Jay Leno. It was during the time when W was the governor of Texas. One of the lines she delivered with a certain flair was "Yes, my husband was the president, but my son is the Governor of Texas." There was a grin and a twinkle in her eye as she said that which made the delivery perfect.

Hempy
21st Apr 2018, 04:28
Meanwhile, the always classy ‘veteran Republican strategist’ Roger Stone on Barbara Bush.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/roger-stone-steps-up-attacks-on-barbara-bush-she-is-descending-into-hell-right-now

West Coast
21st Apr 2018, 17:31
For those able to put political divisiveness aside, the funeral was a beautiful celebration of Barbara Bush’s life. I thought all the speakers did a great job of conveying to listeners who she was.

Curious Pax
22nd Apr 2018, 14:51
For those able to put political divisiveness aside, the funeral was a beautiful celebration of Barbara Bush’s life. I thought all the speakers did a great job of conveying to listeners who she was.

I particularly liked the pictures of Obama succeeding where Donald (in public at least) seems to fail consistently. He got a smile out of Melania!