PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Adverts on TV

DX Wombat
17th Apr 2018, 14:21
There seems to be a plethora of them at the moment but the one which really annoys me is the one where the stupid woman panics about the broken boiler (fair enough) but tells the gormless teenage son that he "will just have to smell for today". Why? Has she not heard of using a kettle to heat some water so he can have a strip wash? Is he (and his mum) too thick to think of this or does the money-lending firm not realise this is a possibility? How would he cope at a Scout camp when the water for a wash in the morning is invariably cool? :ugh::ugh::ugh:

RedhillPhil
17th Apr 2018, 14:42
Have you noticed how the adverts have also gone all PC?. Just about every family now seems to be of mixed race. It's no bad thing but it's amazing just how quickly that it happened.

Super VC-10
17th Apr 2018, 14:42
The worst are the chugverts. Particularly those that do a reprise three or four adverts later.

Also, If £2 can buy enough water for an African family for a week, why are my water bills so high when we live on an island that gets plenty of free water from the sky?

IFMU
17th Apr 2018, 14:48
There is a simple solution. Don't watch TV! Do something constructive instead, like build an airplane.

RAT 5
17th Apr 2018, 16:25
There is a simple solution. Don't watch TV! Do something constructive instead, like build an airplane.

Ah, but on Discovery Channel there was a series telling you how to do that. :ugh:

meadowrun
17th Apr 2018, 16:41
Not me. I am even more cramped for space.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c3/2f/0b/c32f0b220897f9d37153473543abceff.jpg

Pontius Navigator
17th Apr 2018, 16:57
Have you noticed how the adverts have also gone all PC?. Just about every family now seems to be of mixed race. It's no bad thing but it's amazing just how quickly that it happened.

Phil, yes I had noticed but I think advert wise this could be counter productive. Middle England is still largely of one race be it Asian or European. The metropolis may be many mixed race couples but elsewhere things seem very black or white. Would white, Indian or Chinese see these mixed race families as aspirational?

It is not only adverts but media newsrooms that seem to be overpopulated by non-white presenters although they are to a 'man' very British.

G-CPTN
17th Apr 2018, 17:14
#6 - I know that guy and saw his (Seafire) in the 1970s.
I even traded my camera for some Weber carburettors.
He still has my camera.

Argonautical
17th Apr 2018, 17:34
Have you noticed how the adverts have also gone all PC?

Not only adverts, the casting of Achilles in the latest so called BBC series, Troy, annoyed me so much I stopped watching it. I am also getting other tired of seeing men depicted as gormless, thick, puny or stupid in adverts.

Krystal n chips
17th Apr 2018, 17:36
There seems to be a plethora of them at the moment but the one which really annoys me is the one where the stupid woman panics about the broken boiler (fair enough) but tells the gormless teenage son that he "will just have to smell for today". Why? Has she not heard of using a kettle to heat some water so he can have a strip wash? Is he (and his mum) too thick to think of this or does the money-lending firm not realise this is a possibility? How would he cope at a Scout camp when the water for a wash in the morning is invariably cool? :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Tsk ! Tsk DX ( nice to see you contributing again ) you have to move with the times ! Shurely, the days of cool water are long since passed, when everybody, like everybody, mwah, goes glamping now..... don't they ?

Haven't seen this priceless waste of air time, but thanks for the warning.. :D

" Phil, yes I had noticed but I think advert wise this could be counter productive. Middle England is still largely of one race be it Asian or European. The metropolis may be many mixed race couples but elsewhere things seem very black or white. Would white, Indian or Chinese see these mixed race families as aspirational?

It is not only adverts but media newsrooms that seem to be overpopulated by non-white presenters although they are to a 'man' very British

Love it ! nothing quite like an anything but cosmopolitan perception of life outside Lincolnshire really.

hiflymk3
17th Apr 2018, 17:44
The only reason for adverts is to; take a pee break, make tea or fetch another beverage, feed the cat, run a bath...

flash8
17th Apr 2018, 18:10
Watching some of the cable channels (that also carry UK adverts) I genuinely wonder how these ad agencies get paid so much to produce such crap... lets face it, most reasonably intelligent people could create adverts like are shown most of the time... they churn out the same old rubbish.

In the cinema back at University (1994) I genuinely saw an advert that blew my mind.. on the big screen it was better than the films... don't think it was ever shown on TV.

Smirnoff Russian Wedding

Yes.. I know "Russia" is mentioned, but at the time my young mind was on other things :)

Effluent Man
17th Apr 2018, 18:12
The boiler one is for some scam artist loan company.

RAT 5
17th Apr 2018, 18:14
The Heineken & Guinness adverts were in such vane. A good laugh. One was a good sip as well.

Tankertrashnav
17th Apr 2018, 18:27
Guinness ads used to annoy me - they seemed to think they were up for an Oscar rather than advertising booze. That homoerotic one with the blokes rolling around in the surf, and horses galloping in over the waves was a load of pretentious tosh but I understood it was a lot of people's favourite!

annakm
17th Apr 2018, 18:29
Those adverts from McDonalds are trying desperately trying to kid the masses (and themselves) that actually, they do produce almost healthy wholesome and individually cooked food.

They really are wasting their time and money. The market that McDonald’s appeals to don’t care about nutritional or animal welfare standards anyway and I think it’s highly unlikely that the adverts will convince non junk food eaters either.

BehindBlueEyes
17th Apr 2018, 18:37
That Go Compare opera singing man!

Oh, and any ads for criminal injury lawyers, “Have you had an accident that wasn’t your fault?” KnC will love this as I always have a mental image of some layabout or fat oaf watching and thinking, “Yeah, it’s never my fault. Perhaps I’m entitled to some compensation? After all, I couldn’t help falling off that kerb when I was p!$$£#.”

Mind you, I laughed out loud when I first saw the Specsavers ad with the vet!

https://youtu.be/I3MUX3V0aUE

DON T
17th Apr 2018, 18:38
Strangely the one I dislike most is the one advertising cars and the advert has no sound.

annakm
17th Apr 2018, 18:41
That Go Compare opera singing man!

Oh, and any ads for criminal injury lawyers, “Have you had an accident that wasn’t your fault?” KnC will love this as I always have a mental image of some layabout or fat oaf watching and thinking, “Yeah, it’s never my fault. Perhaps I’m entitled to some compensation? After all, I couldn’t help falling off that kerb when I was p!$$£#.”

Mind you, I laughed out loud when I first saw the Specsavers ad with the vet!

Do you mean this one?

goudie
17th Apr 2018, 18:48
I hate commercials so if there’s anything on commercial tv I want to watch, I record it and just fast forward when they come on. Has anyone ever been influenced enough by a tv commercial they’ve actually bought the product? I haven’t!
Have to say that spec savers one is funny

VP959
17th Apr 2018, 19:07
Many years ago, when I was a small boy and my dad was still alive (and a smoker), one of his customers at the bank where he worked was in advertising, for the brand of cigarette he smoked (Peter Stuyvesant for the the insatiably curious). Back then (early to mid 1960's) banks had a more personal relationship with customers, and I remember this advertising chap coming to dinner one evening.

At the time there were a series of television adverts running for these cigarettes that were, apparently, quite memorable (although I can't say I remember any of them) and I remember the advertising chap saying that many TV adverts were not about direct selling, or persuading people to buy the product, at all, they were only used to get people to be aware of, and remember, the product name.

The memorable adverts achieved that objective well. I found Specsavers to be bloody useless, and expensive, but I do remember their adverts. I also remember the older Guinness adverts, right back to the "Guinness is good for you" ones. When in hospital, on an orthopaedic ward after a motorcycle accident, I remember being given a bottle of Mackeson Stout every evening. I always suspected that this was connected to the "looks good, tastes good and, by golly, it does you good" catch phrase in their adverts.

As an aside, my mother (a pig farmer) always used to give her sows a bottle of Guinness every evening, just around the time they were due to farrow. She swore blind that it helped prevent iron deficiency in the piglets.

Blues&twos
17th Apr 2018, 19:15
Our current pet-hate is the ad for the "Discreet Boutique" incontinence pants for women. The woman in the ad says she didn't realise such things could be "pretty", whilst sporting what is clearly a pair of incontinence knickers....with flowers printed round the top.

Sallyann1234
17th Apr 2018, 19:18
Strangely the one I dislike most is the one advertising cars and the advert has no sound.
Have you noticed that all the car adverts, of every make, show their car driving on an empty road?
Never a traffic light or traffic jam in sight.

sitigeltfel
17th Apr 2018, 19:24
Halifax building society.

Top Cat

Half brick

Screen

ZOOKER
17th Apr 2018, 20:02
I do like the multi-floor dustbin at the end though.

Argonautical
17th Apr 2018, 22:13
I hate commercials so if there’s anything on commercial tv I want to watch, I record it and just fast forward when they come on.

This can be counter-productive. I read a study that said one takes in more of the advert if it is fast forwarded because the brain has to concentrate more to make sense of what it sees. This may mean that all of us who do fast forward adverts, are doing exactly what the advertising companies want!

Ancient Mariner
17th Apr 2018, 22:24
Then there's this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygZ35T9hN8w
Nope, didn't buy those chips, don't like chips.
Per

meadowrun
17th Apr 2018, 22:28
Does anyone know of a device that can record a set of favorite channels- 24 hours in advance and then re-play that 24 hours with the advertisements all removed, while recording the next 24 hours and so on?

Someone should get weaving on one.

Is that anarchic or just smug?

Gertrude the Wombat
17th Apr 2018, 22:49
Have you noticed that all the car adverts, of every make, show their car driving on an empty road?
Often on the wrong side of the road too.

WingNut60
17th Apr 2018, 23:10
New one (I think) on Oz TV got my attention.

It's for a gift card for Brazilian waxing.

I can just imagine giving one of those to my sister-in-law for Xmas.

favete linguis
17th Apr 2018, 23:24
Slightly off topic, but Specsavers sponsor the rugby referees' in Wales.

Thats clever advertising given the fans revel in reminding them every time they get it 'wrong'.

Letting the masses do your advertising for you is a good idea it appears.

Tankertrashnav
18th Apr 2018, 00:19
Our current pet-hate is the ad for the "Discreet Boutique" incontinence pants for women.

I demand sexual equality! A dozen years after bladder cancer with annual cystoscopies ever since, my plumbing is getting pretty knackered and I sometimes get to the loo about 5 seconds too late

We men want fancy incontinence knickers as well!

vaqueroaero
18th Apr 2018, 01:45
Was always fond of the Carling Black Label as a kid. Particularly this one:

https://youtu.be/Toek6CdldC8

ExSp33db1rd
18th Apr 2018, 05:53
just fast forward when they come on.

Do it all the time, hardly ever watch "real time TV now.

KelvinD
18th Apr 2018, 07:01
I tune to the BBC News, then to whatever channel I want to watch. When the adverts come along, I press the button that flips instantly to the previous channel (in this case BBC news) and then when I guess the adverts should be about done, press the button again to return to the desired channel.

ORAC
18th Apr 2018, 07:12
Hamlet ads stick in the memory, mainly because of the music.

https://youtu.be/zd28oaF2KII

wiggy
18th Apr 2018, 07:18
.....Have to say that spec savers one is funny

I think anyone who has worked HF with Mumbai will have a wry smile at this specsavers ad... and there is the bonus of v brief aviation content...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rhlrOP7ytKs

Pontius Navigator
18th Apr 2018, 07:52
Goudie, recording is good, we can also watch 'live' and use Pause. Fast forward through the adverts. Really brings home how shirt the real programme is. However ITV Hub doesn't allow FF (b*st*rds) :)

Pontius Navigator
18th Apr 2018, 07:55
Never a traffic light or traffic jam in sight.

Must be Lincolnshire.

Pontius Navigator
18th Apr 2018, 07:58

Definitely Lincolnshire then.

ATNotts
18th Apr 2018, 08:29
I demand sexual equality! A dozen years after bladder cancer with annual cystoscopies ever since, my plumbing is getting pretty knackered and I sometimes get to the loo about 5 seconds too late

We men want fancy incontinence knickers as well!

Whilst in a UK supermarket last week, coincidentally sourcing incontinence pads for my mother-in-law, I was surprised to see that just such a product is on sale for men. Funny thing is they must sell so well they don't need to advertise them - perhaps we just assume dripping is normal, or being men can't be ar*ed to do anything about it!!!

Mechta
18th Apr 2018, 08:34
Hamlet ads stick in the memory, mainly because of the music.

https://youtu.be/zd28oaF2KII

The ex-wife is Russian and classically trained pianist. A British friend was getting married and asked the ex if she would play a few pieces before and after the wedding as the families and friends trooped into and out of the church. The ex was happy to do this, so a session at the piano was arranged to select the ones to use.

After a few pieces had been selected or rejected, the ex said 'how about this one?' and promptly played the 'Hamlet' piece. We, the Brits, were rolling around, laughing uncontrollably, tears in our eyes, whilst the ex, totally untainted by British TV advertising at this stage, looked on completely baffled.

WilliumMate
18th Apr 2018, 08:40
Adverts documenting the advances in toothpaste technology using 'real' dentists and patients. There must be a very large dedicated team of development chemists to come up with a new revolutionary formula on a weekly basis.

:*

Mr Mac
18th Apr 2018, 09:09
All
One set of adverts that I can honestly say I liked very much, though no fan of there Chocolate, were the Cadbury Flake Adverts. Do not know how much chocolate they shifted, but I imagine a fair bit of testosterone was definitely moved ! They were of their time shall we say.

Kind regards
Mr Mac

RedhillPhil
18th Apr 2018, 09:51
Don't get me started on those bloody kids and how clean their ar5es are after using a certain brand of bumph.
If they want to be that squeaky clean buy them a bidet.

ORAC
18th Apr 2018, 09:55
Mechta,

I have never been able to take the William Tell overture seriously since I was a kid - I’m always poised to see the Lone Ranger riding in from stage right.....

Bee Rexit
18th Apr 2018, 09:57
Does anyone know of a device that can record a set of favorite channels- 24 hours in advance and then re-play that 24 hours with the advertisements all removed, while recording the next 24 hours and so on?

Someone should get weaving on one.

Is that anarchic or just smug?

Not quite but our PVR (Panasonic Freeview+) skips all the ads with one longer press on the remote on programs we have recorded (We rarely watch commercial TV live) but only on programs recorded on sd channels. If we have recorded on HD we still have to fast forward!

vctenderness
18th Apr 2018, 09:59
My dog, a Westie, has many pet hates with regard to adverts.

The Specsavers ad that features a shepherds shearing his sheep dog send him into a frenzy, he only has to hear the opening music and he’s off.

The Lloyds Bank ads with black horses running is a particular favourite leading him to almost knock the tv over each time it is shown

Adverts for vacuum cleaners are another one. I would never buy a G Tech air ram on the basis that the dog would not let it in the house.

Surprisingly adverts featuring cats hardly gain his attention.

Captivep
18th Apr 2018, 10:01
Someone once said that the test of whether one was cultured (or a snob, depending on your point of view) was whether you could hear Dance of the Mirlitons and think of Ballet, rather than Cadbury's Fruit and Nut...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBDODIWeKbE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJMAVfkI0io

BehindBlueEyes
18th Apr 2018, 10:12
https://youtu.be/QxStrVUBClo

Ring a bell with anyone?

ZOOKER
18th Apr 2018, 10:25
The 'Just Eat' thing with the irritating 'Magic Is Real' soundtrack.

This is transmitted with monotonous regularity here in the North West.

It also suggests that your take-away 'food' will be delivered by someone on a flying moped.

ExSp33db1rd
18th Apr 2018, 10:28
anyone who has worked HF with Mumbai

"Bombay, Bombay this is Delhi. Shut up Bombay"

Made us smile, it did.

meadowrun
18th Apr 2018, 10:32
Does seem to be an increased push for delivered food - cooked and prepared ingredient types. Some of it, I'm sure encouraged by the
"What new App can I develop now?" trend.
Worked for pizza and Chinese but not sure if other food types will ever be delivered in a delectable manner, consistently, without bankrupting yourself.
You can have an app now that allows you to pre-order at doughnut shops for an oh-so time saving pick-up.

sigh

Dan Gerous
18th Apr 2018, 12:07
It's not just the ads, it's the bloody programme trailers that are shown, sponsors ads or those channel 4 stick figure things. I suspect a lot of it is due to programme lengths being suited to the American market, and not enough advertisers to fill the gaps in the ad breaks.

alwayzinit
18th Apr 2018, 12:11
The ad that was definitely of its time was for the chocolate covered bar of fudge.
The slogan being "A finger of Fudge it just enough to give your Kids a treat!"
:=
Or maybe it is just my infantile mind.......................:eek:

VP959
18th Apr 2018, 13:07
It's not just the ads, it's the bloody programme trailers that are shown, sponsors ads or those channel 4 stick figure things. I suspect a lot of it is due to programme lengths being suited to the American market, and not enough advertisers to fill the gaps in the ad breaks.

Glad it's not just me that thinks that the breaks on all the channels (including the ad-free BBC) are being stretched out to the point where they are as annoying as most of the adverts themselves.

In the case of the commercial channels, I suspect that the fairly explosive growth in the number of channels has left them with scheduling gaps they have to fill, as it seems inevitable that advertisers won't increase their TV advertising budgets just because the number of channels has increased, they will want to target their ads to an audience that might be interested in their product.

I'm just thankful that I don't watch much live TV, and that our Freesat PVR has the same feature as mentioned earlier; press the skip forward button and it jumps the whole advert break.

Mr Mac
18th Apr 2018, 13:12
Current annoying adverts would be all the gaming ones, when did UK become such a nation of gamblers ?. Those damned Mere-cats and the insurance adds involving action man toys, and previously by the same company, some odd street dancing involving some oddly dressed protagonists.

Kind regards
Mr Mac

Hokulea
18th Apr 2018, 13:25
I haven't lived in the UK for over a couple of decades now, but whenever I'm back the TV adverts just aren't what they used to be. There was a time the Carling Black Label and Heineken ads were worth waiting for.

This was my favourite at the time. The first time I saw it it was separated into three different parts with other adverts in between and I didn't have a clue what it was all about until the last part. I still love it now.

https://youtu.be/qH5rC1NJ-54

PS.

https://youtu.be/p3yN7YjJWVI

Blues&twos
18th Apr 2018, 13:25
Any ad containing science-bollocks.
According to a Nivea skin cream TV advert I saw last week, it "supercharges your skin while you sleep".
I'm tempted to get some to see exactly how this presents itself when I wake up.

VP959
18th Apr 2018, 14:58
Any ad containing science-bollocks.
According to a Nivea skin cream TV advert I saw last week, it "supercharges your skin while you sleep".
I'm tempted to get some to see exactly how this presents itself when I wake up.

As someone who used to be a chemist, (I still make my own antifreeze, windscreen de-icer spray, corrosion inhibiting liquid, mouthwash, and a few simple creams, lotions and medical compounds) the cosmetic advert psudo-science seriously makes me cringe. All of this stuff is primarily complete BS, even down to the way they describe the compounds used on the label (as I believe they are required to by law).

For example, pretty much everything that's used as a cream, lotion, shampoo, hand or face cleanser, moisturiser or whatever will have a fair bit of water in it. Clearly people might be a bit upset to find they've just paid a small fortune for something that has a large percentage of water in it, so they choose to label it as containing "aqua". Perfectly legal, as there's nothing in the regulations that says they have to use English, Latin is fine, and they know that making the contents sound a bit more mysterious tends to influence some customers.

I bet none of them put hydroxyl acid on their labels, though, or dihydrogen monoxide.............

Hussar 54
18th Apr 2018, 15:20
At least, here we don't get bombarded with adverts for on-line betting. The odd advert for the PMU, but even those are quite rare.

The ones that annoy me are the same ones that we see nine or ten times each day, every day, every week for a month or so.

For just once, I'd love to be able to have a deep and meaningful discussion with the so-called admasters and ask them to explain why they think ' this ' works, so step forward, please, car manufacturers, cheese manufacturers, suppliers of delivered-to-your-door slimming food plans and detergent manufacturers.

VP959
18th Apr 2018, 15:25
For just once, I'd love to be able to have a deep and meaningful discussion with the so-called admasters and ask them to explain why they think ' this ' works, so step forward, please, car manufacturers, cheese manufacturers, suppliers of delivered-to-your-door slimming food plans and detergent manufacturers.

I think the near-universal answer, at least for the major brands, would be "brand awareness".

I doubt many of the big brand advertisers actually expect to get increased revenue from advertising, they probably do it to keep the brand in our minds so that their revenue doesn't drop because people forget about them.

Pontius Navigator
18th Apr 2018, 17:10
One of Tom O'Connor's sketches has him starting the jingle and the audience rounding it off:

You'll wonder where the yellow went . . .

Hand that do dishes . . .

Just because the Lady . . .

A Mars a day . . .

These jingles are far memorable than these supper smart, arty commercials. In fact you wonder why manufacturers change product names when they have a winning jingle.

ORAC
18th Apr 2018, 17:17
The trouble with really smart and enjoyable ads is that at the end nobody remembers what they were advertising.

ZOOKER
18th Apr 2018, 17:46
Not really a commercial, but often, during a film. after the commercials, some grinning lady appears and tells you a whole load of 'celebrity b*llocks' that you don't really need to know about.
I can't remember which channel, but the 1 minute speech begins with "Hi Guys"....And ends with "See ya".

goudie
18th Apr 2018, 17:49
Some few years ago I had a phone call from a young lady doing market research for tv ads.
She asked me what ‘my mate’ meant to me. As it happened I’d just retuned from the petrol station and noticed on the counter, condoms called ‘Mates’.
So I made this connection and said ‘condoms’. She was not amused and ended the conversation after telling me it was ‘Marmite’. ‘Marmite, My Mate.’

Tankertrashnav
18th Apr 2018, 17:53
The trouble with really smart and enjoyable ads is that at the end nobody remembers what they were advertising.

I did a resettlement course for those who intended to start up a small business. One of our lecturers asked us if we were familiar with the chimps who advertised tea. Of course we did. Then he asked us what brand of tea they advertised. At least half of us said "Typhoo" (it was Brooke-Bond). His point was made.

Allan Lupton
18th Apr 2018, 17:58
On the whole you're right, but I'd say the Specsavers ads buck that trend as they are fun and the brand name is the punchline.

Noah Zark.
18th Apr 2018, 18:07
Another vote for Specsavers. Two very subtle but funny parts are the way the cat gulps when the vet thinks a hat is a dead moggy, and the space shuttle crew trying to creep through arrivals with the squeaky wheel on the luggage trolley.

ORAC
18th Apr 2018, 18:14
Their hearing test as is quite good as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhlrOP7ytKs

Blacksheep
18th Apr 2018, 20:06
Just about every family now seems to be of mixed race.Like mine you mean? :suspect:

Rower
19th Apr 2018, 14:04
What really gets to me is the way channels co ordinate the ad breaks. Try surfing to another channel to escape the adds and what do you get?
Unless of course you go to a non advert station

Captivep
19th Apr 2018, 14:56
Don't let it get to you, Rower!

It's not deliberate; there's no co-ordination. Most programmes start on the hour, and there are limits to the number of breaks and the amount of minutes used for advertising per hour. So, for example, if the limit were four ad breaks per hour, the obvious pattern would be approximately every fifteen minutes, and it would be roughly the same for every channel.

So, coincidence rather than co-ordination.

meadowrun
19th Apr 2018, 15:00
Limits?
Where?
You wouldn't know it from some US channels. Seems to be "How much can we get away with?" for many.

RAT 5
19th Apr 2018, 15:17
You wouldn't know it from some US channels.

It's no wonder golf rounds have gone up in time. It used to be I could watch a tournament and a round was 4 hrs. Now it's 5hrs because of all those very frequent and damned annoying banal adverts. In fact, due to the slow pace of the walking advertisement hoardings wanting to maximise airtime, the rounds are getting longer again. :rolleyes: :ugh:

Captivep
19th Apr 2018, 16:28
In the UK, the limit is an average of 7 minutes per hour in a 24 hour period, with 12 minutes as the absolute maximum in any given hour.

meadowrun
19th Apr 2018, 16:33
Commercials comprised 14 minutes and 15 seconds of each hour of TV on broadcast networks in 2013, up from 13 minutes and 25 seconds in 2009, according to Nielsen’s annual Advertising and Audiences report (http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/reports/2014/advertising-and-audiences-state-of-the-media.html).
On cable, commercials are even more frequent, totalling 15 minutes and 38 seconds of each hour. Commercials on cable took 14 minutes and 27 seconds of each hour in 2009...............

Pontius Navigator
19th Apr 2018, 16:44
Meerkats - I enjoy watching the Meerkats clips that lead and end commercials for a particular soap but admit to associating the ad to the soap and not a product.

Tankertrashnav
19th Apr 2018, 17:58
Just about every family now seems to be of mixed race.

Like mine you mean?

And my daughter's :*

BehindBlueEyes
19th Apr 2018, 18:08
Their hearing test as is quite good as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhlrOP7ytKs

I’ve not seen that one - it’s brilliant! Must be the child in me, but the bit at the end with the clown in the background unravelling the hankies and honking had me in stitches. :D:D:D

rog747
19th Apr 2018, 18:12
currently annoying - not creditworthy - have to switch off - cringing

the AA ad (kid in the back seat miming to tina turner)
the miming dog in the Flash ad
the smelly teens fabreeze ad
homebase and LV insurance ( both have similar direction and production )

and many ads for a UK product are made down in Cape town - really annoys me to see CPT locations and we are supposed to be in Blighty

oh yes the just eat ad too vile

treadigraph
19th Apr 2018, 18:23
V I poo ad. Might just be on free-view but it's irritating. Crap product name too.

Blues&twos
19th Apr 2018, 20:51
"the AA ad (kid in the back seat miming to tina turner)"

Rog747 - entirely agree. This ad should be endearing, but for some reason the cute kid is infuriating.

Tankertrashnav
19th Apr 2018, 23:30
I wondered if I was the only one who hated that kid - seems I've got company. Mind you I expect I'm the only one who didn't know that was Tina turner. I kept thinking - "Who is that doing an awful cover of the Credence Clearwater Revival song?"

Still I never liked her - the juxtaposition of a nice little girl and Tina Turner shrieking is probably the reason. I expect that is some form of heresy!

treadigraph
20th Apr 2018, 00:59
Mind you I expect I'm the only one who didn't know that was Tina turner.

Me neither...

Pontius Navigator
20th Apr 2018, 07:50
AA ad?

So we 'switch off' and completely miss the Ad or do we take it in subliminally?

I think in a 'breakdown ' Ad by the 5th, or is it 6th, emergency service (after Coast Guard and RNLI) the message I take away is to get breakdown cover. I think not just AA but RAC and then other names such as Britannia Rescue (still around?) and Green Flag (which I discovered is Direct Line).

UniFoxOs
20th Apr 2018, 08:13
I'm with Britannia courtesy of a discount the wife got as a retired civil serpent.

hiflymk3
20th Apr 2018, 08:24
I'm with the Woolwich.

VP959
20th Apr 2018, 08:29
I've been with Britannia for years, again because of the old connection with the Civil Service. FWIW I think we've used their services either two or three times in the past 20 years, and it's always been excellent. No idea how it compares with any others, but I don't think we ever waited more than about 20 minutes for them to arrive.

rog747
20th Apr 2018, 10:04
re the AA kid ad and the Flash dog ad - I simply have to grab the remote and mute or change channel PDQ -- i cannot stand the sound of them - I'm not weird just I find these 2 almost an invasion of my living room

Pontius Navigator
20th Apr 2018, 10:10
I'm with Britannia courtesy of a discount the wife got as a retired civil serpent.

Was that Civil Service or CSMA?

I used to be in CSMA. Must check.

I have used Green Flag and had several call outs. One was a real problem (alternator failure) the other three were sheer stupidity on my part :bored:

Found Green Flag was fine when I used it but beware the renewal. There annual renewal notice is always double your initial premium. If you go online you can then get it half price. Best deal one year, took out GF with full continental cover. Went to Germany a couple of days later, returned to UK and thought might be able to get a refund for part of the cover as no longer required. As I was inside the 14 day cooling off period they gave me a 100% refund even though they had been at risk for a week.

VP959
20th Apr 2018, 11:01

I used to be in CSMA. Must check.

The discount was from being a CSMA member, as at the time CSMA were affiliated with car insurance (now LV, but it used to be more closely linked to the CSMA) as well as breakdown cover via Britannia.

The whole of CSMA seems to have been practically divorced from the Civil Service for years now, perhaps because a lot of the former Civil Service bodies were privatised, so CSMA had as many non-Civil Service members as it did Civil Service members.

It's an oddball institution anyway, with the members magazine being a mix of adverts aimed at pensioners, car reviews that are frankly ludicrous and a letters page that is inevitably filled with letters mainly written by boring old farts who dearly wish they still drove Morris Minors. I'm only still a member because it's a cheap way to get breakdown cover, and the magazine and it's myriad of loose insert adverts for things like incontinence underwear and hearing aids goes straight in the recycling bin now.

crippen
20th Apr 2018, 11:12
this annoys some of our continental friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuIJqF8av6I :ok:

meadowrun
20th Apr 2018, 11:50
It's a four door family sedan!
270 kph and twin turbo 350 odd hp will surely come in handy on the track on the way to the market, Emerson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKYsmNdzovM

glad rag
20th Apr 2018, 12:01
k5qLEsewDtw

Rower
20th Apr 2018, 13:31
In the UK, the limit is an average of 7 minutes per hour in a 24 hour period, with 12 minutes as the absolute maximum in any given hour.

Thanks Captivep, it seems longer.

Maybe I am growing less tolerant of BS as I age

Blacksheep
20th Apr 2018, 13:35
The SixT adverts with the arrogant "That's Nothing!" twerps who have just rented a BMW for a discounted fee.

aox
20th Apr 2018, 13:57
Some of the ads should be celebrated. I want to find some of the products that are advertised but seem too surreal to exist.

There used to be one where some garden decking had a huge pull-out storage drawer underneath

There's one at the moment with a load of fold-out furniture, including a cat jumping out off the sofa as it pops out of the wall.

But what I really want right now is that new knife gizmo that spreads a rasher of ready cooked bacon and some ketchup straight on to bare bread.

But I don't want a pet penguin who wears a coat to stay warm indoors.

ZOOKER
20th Apr 2018, 14:05
That's because it's British Gas boiler has broken-down again.

sitigeltfel
20th Apr 2018, 14:21
I can't find if this company has made a TV advert, maybe they should.

https://shytechocolate.com/

It would go down a bomb in Scotland...

"D'ye like the choacoalit Shuggy?"
"Naw man, it tastes like shyte!"

Prawn2king4
20th Apr 2018, 14:41
A tad long ............ but very good; not least (if you don't skip to the end) because there's no clue regarding the product advertised.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGVN6PRhReU

Mr Optimistic
20th Apr 2018, 15:18
There's a Giffgaff advert which I would like to terminate with prejudice.

Gertrude the Wombat
20th Apr 2018, 15:24
Like mine you mean? :suspect:
My immediate family is mixed race but doesn't really look it, being a mixture of whitish people from all over Europe. It's not until you get into cousins that you see noticeably different colour skins.

BehindBlueEyes
21st Apr 2018, 12:10
Ads for funeral plans - morally wrong. They play on elderly people’s fear of leaving a debt. I get quite angry whenever that particularly nauseating one comes on with a letter from one of these schemes, allegedly posted to a neighbour which sets a couple of old dears clucking about getting around to organising a plan.

My mother in law would often say about her finances, “As long as there’s enough money to bury me, that’s fine.” She was always anxious about, “the arrangements”

Who cares?! Once you’re dead, someone will have to deal with your body, even if it’s the council and you have a paupers funeral. They’re not exactly going to leave you festering on the floor. And, tbh, if you’ve got any assets, the cost of your disposal be clawed back from your estate anyway.

UniFoxOs
21st Apr 2018, 12:31

CSMA - she retired from the civil (dis)service many years ago.

Ads for funeral plans - morally wrong. They play on elderly people’s fear of leaving a debt.

Well SWMBO didn't bother about that, unfortunately for me.

CargoMatatu
2nd May 2018, 08:54
The "Postcode Lottery" rubbish.

Not only is that series of ads extremely annoying and amateurishly produced, but I am seriously concerned about the plethora of gambling, bingo and lottery ads on UK tv.

Pontius Navigator
2nd May 2018, 09:32
Age Partnership - smarmy git who has just mortgaged his home.

hiflymk3
2nd May 2018, 12:30
The PPI one with Arnie's head on tracks bellowing. "DO IT NOW!"

Noah Zark.
2nd May 2018, 12:43
Unless I'm missing something, we seem to have been relieved of more crass nonsense from Go Compare, with old ChubbyChops shouting and bawling all over the place!

P.S. As an aside, old Gio Compario, a.k.a opera singer Wynne Evans, has done extremely well for himself, if you care to research him a little. And good luck to him for it!

pilotmike
2nd May 2018, 13:04
The only reason for adverts is to; take a pee break, make tea or fetch another beverage, feed the cat, run a bath...

Pay attention, you CAN'T run a bath, remember, they're telling you your boiler's k.n.a.c.k.e.r.ed., goddit??!! :ok:

pilotmike
2nd May 2018, 13:10
It's not until you get into cousins that you see noticeably different colour skins.
Ummmmmm....... I'm not entirely sure how to interpret that........

sitigeltfel
2nd May 2018, 13:14
Can't remember the product, but there was an advert on UK TV this morning with a segment in a toy shop where a father was telling his son to put down a box with a Barbie doll and come look at the Action Man one instead.

chopper2004
2nd May 2018, 13:36
Every other advert is pre pay your Real Fun (box and hearse etc) on cable or QuickQuid then Over 50s. Then now there take the equity out of your house at a ripe age and enjoy lol :)

I thought with advertising standards of late 60s/70s funerals adverts were verboten

Best one is with the woman and her kid walking down high street come across the Real Fun home with the monotous tone of the narrator saying how their insurance company has the finger in all the pies ..with community respected / admired Real Fun directors. Then you got the funeral directors arranging flowers in the window, waving at mother and kid and one of them pops out to chat with kid (creepy) and his attractive blonde female colleague flashing her beautiful smile.

cheers

Pontius Navigator
2nd May 2018, 21:41
That insurance one where the smarmy yank or canuk pops up as calamity strikes, waves his cheque book and all is fixed.

Good at first, now wearing thin, and all I know is he advertising insurance, no idea whose.

OTOH the Dyson one is instantly recognisable but the message I take away is don't buy one of his corded vacuums.

The best in the genre has to have been Remmington. "I liked the company so much, I bought it". Simple message, all about the name and didn't irritate.

Windy Militant
2nd May 2018, 23:03
Just seen a car ad where they are wittering on about how good their suspension is! To demonstrate this they show a mug leaving his mug on the car roof and driving off. Ane Fule no that as soon as he turns the first corner as shown said mug would continue on in a straight line like uncle Isaac told us. I really hate it when the creatives can't get even simple science right, it's worse than the cod science they make up for hair and beauty products. :ugh:

Krystal n chips
3rd May 2018, 04:27
That insurance one where the smarmy yank or canuk pops up as calamity strikes, waves his cheque book and all is fixed.

Good at first, now wearing thin, and all I know is he advertising insurance, no idea whose.

OTOH the Dyson one is instantly recognisable but the message I take away is don't buy one of his corded vacuums.

The best in the genre has to have been Remmington. "I liked the company so much, I bought it". Simple message, all about the name and didn't irritate.

How to put this delicately ......um, the ad alludes to the, erm, Mafia c/o " Pulp Fiction" and the name of the insurance company " Direct Line", doth get mentioned..... " more than once " .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRTSd-ppQFQ

Do you by any chance have a cameo role at the end of this ad ?

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2018, 07:51
The best ones have to be the ones with the memorable strap line, was going to say where the actor is a minor part, but who can forget Burt Wok. For memorable though, how about "all because the lady . . ." Or " refreshes the parts other beers . . . "

G-CPTN
3rd May 2018, 08:22
McEwans is the best buy.

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2018, 09:21
Or Coates comes up from ZUmmerst

I also think some name changes were nonsensical - who can forget there are no crisps like Smith crisps? Walkers?

"A Mars a day . . ." could have fallen under the trades description ad, whereas Edwina Currie probably did for " Go to work on an egg . . "

sitigeltfel
3rd May 2018, 09:58
SUV adverts.

The myth.
Happy, smiley, diverse people cruising deserted, pothole free city streets or mountain passes. They will be shown on their way to an event where they will have a rare old time with other happy, smiley, diverse people......or preparing to surf/paraglide/ski before heading home to their hipster apartments.

The reality.
A frazzled, Prozac addled mother with three mini terrorists squabbling in the back, heading home from Asda in a battered Zafira. The interior will resemble a rubbish bin at McDonald's and the bored Labrador in the rear will be quitely devouring the lasagne that was bought for dinner.

crispey
3rd May 2018, 10:57
I once worked for a UK based large international food company although I had nothing to do with food.They marketed a very well know brand of cake and the product was frequently advertised.I was told that when the TV adverts were pulled for a while the sales of the product dropped.So in the view of the management advertising worked.They were obviously exceeding pleased .

goudie
3rd May 2018, 11:04
‘The reality’. Made I larff siti.
After seeing an advert for a local retirement home, ( I was thinking about one at the time) featuring silver haired pleasant looking people, smiling, chatting, whilst drinking tea from the best China, I thought I’d take a look round.
The reality... scruffy looking people, nodding off, no one talking and the tv on. This was supposedly an up market place too.

Pontius Navigator
3rd May 2018, 13:44
SUV adverts.

The reality.
the bored Labrador in the rear having devoured the lasagne that was bought for dinner.
Fixed it for you. Labradors don't do quiet and move directly from present to past tense with no need for the progressive.

oldairphot
20th May 2018, 10:46
Does anyone else find the current surface pro advert annoying,the sound balance is atrocious and I can't understand a word the girl is saying

Blues&twos
20th May 2018, 11:57
How about the advert where the woman describes as a child seeing her grandma turn a supermarket carrier bag inside out before visiting a local shop because "that was her brand of loyalty" (or words to thar effect)?
Eh?
So the grandma has done her shopping in the supermarket anyway, then uses the supermarket bag too, in the lical shop, but in a manner such that it may deceive the shopkeeper into believing she hasn't been disloyal???
The sneaky..,,,!

Loose rivets
20th May 2018, 17:45
Not now, but back a bit, those fat male creatures that danced seductively (read sickeningly) in cut off jeans. I've never seen anything so offensive on TV.

118. I want to kill them. Don't argue, I do. And with a steamroller.

The guy milking M&M's out of some luckless creature. I have to get to the remote before he throws his head, it its knitted hat, back and laughs inanely. What the heck is in those sweets?

Now two average parents who think hiring a BMW for 49 quid and going to Margate has more worth than their daughter. Poor girl, she'll be better off with the sect.

Bring back Mary Whitehouse.

Pontius Navigator
21st May 2018, 07:21
LR, I imagine David Bedford would be ahead of you in the queue. Only thing about that advert, I wouldn't say good, it the message is very clear.

There is another advert where the wrapping is a waste of space - More than.

Now there are two contrasting ads, the bloke in Direct Line just doesn't resonate whereas More than doesn't need the wrapping. For some reasoned More than sticks in my memory whereas Direct Line doesn't and we have shares in DL.

parabellum
21st May 2018, 08:20
At least, here we don't get bombarded with adverts for on-line betting. The odd advert for the PMU, but even those are quite rare.

The ones that annoy me are the same ones that we see nine or ten times each day, every day, every week for a month or so.

We get them here in Australia for funeral insurance policies! Sick of them.

The Vodka adverts I liked the best were the Smirnoff ones, for example, "I thought clap was a round of applause, then I discovered Smirnoff" https://www.pprune.org/images/infopop/icons/icon7.gif

CargoMatatu
21st May 2018, 08:31
V I Poo! I mean; really!

Krystal n chips
21st May 2018, 09:03
LR, I imagine David Bedford would be ahead of you in the queue. Only thing about that advert, I wouldn't say good, it the message is very clear.

There is another advert where the wrapping is a waste of space - More than.

Now there are two contrasting ads, the bloke in Direct Line just doesn't resonate whereas More than doesn't need the wrapping. For some reasoned More than sticks in my memory whereas Direct Line doesn't and we have shares in DL.

Priceless ! ( and progress...of sorts )

You've finally identified the insurance company whose ads left you confused as to which company it was.......and have shares in the very same company !

Uplinker
21st May 2018, 10:41
Many years’ ago there was an ad which featured two cows sitting in a tree, (no idea why or what they were advertising). The cows were clearly cows - i.e. females - because they both had udders, but they were each voiced by male artists - Tony Robinson and Stephen Fry, and were portrayed as cliched army officer types.

Did I miss the point?

(Thank goodness for the TV mute button !)

Uplinker
21st May 2018, 11:01
While I’m on: that really annoying advert where the family are on the driveway just leaving for work/school and the son says “Mum there’s no hot water”. Everybody freezes position while Mum thinks how to get the boiler fixed? I know I will call one of those money lending firms that charge an APR of 1300%

So, we are expected to believe that busy Mum has a family and a modern house with a new car on the drive but no boiler service contract? And has no credit card and has made no provision for emergency money. At all.

Really?

Arran
21st May 2018, 16:36

A little while ago, there were several where the number plates were only made up of letters and numbers that are reversible (eg AH 808 YM), presumably on the basis that they only have to film it once and just mirror/reverse it for left/right hand drive versions.

RedhillPhil
21st May 2018, 17:00
Audi have started a series of ads on the idiot box showing a load of clowns.
Reflects many of the drivers of such vehicles I suppose like the tattooed oik and his girlfriend who drove through St. Ives seafront on Thursday shouting, "get out of the way" to all and sundry out of his black Audi open top.
Where's the excreting seagull when you want one?

meadowrun
22nd May 2018, 01:41
A lot of Chinese companies have little concept of branding of products for anywhere not China.
Yes, I'm talking to you Huawei.
Want to sell more mobile phones out in the world? - Change name.
It might be a very good phone - but I'll never know.

CargoMatatu
22nd May 2018, 11:04
That ad for "SOFOLOGY" with the idiot who can't act going on about Willie Shakespeare waxing that little beard.

Drives me batsh1t, that one!

Sallyann1234
22nd May 2018, 11:32
A lot of Chinese companies have little concept of branding of products for anywhere not China.
Yes, I'm talking to you Huawei.
Want to sell more mobile phones out in the world? - Change name.
It might be a very good phone - but I'll never know.
Their name hasn't stopped the UK from buying a large part of its broadband infrastructure from them.

treadigraph
22nd May 2018, 12:16

Nicking ice creams off the unsuspecting at the station car park!

chevvron
22nd May 2018, 13:36
The Nationwide BS advert which starts 'London 1883; the furnaces churn out change...'
What furnaces? The only ones I can think of would be for casting church bells and not too many of them.
Mind you the (female) poet was from 'up norf' according to her accent so she would be used to furnaces.

meadowrun
22nd May 2018, 19:57
An open post to all those who advertise or produce advertising to inflict on the public.

If you present me with puerile, pandering or just plainly moronic advertising.....
Not only will I not buy your product, I won't buy anything you make, or what your other subsidiaries make or what your family and friends make. Or your dog. And I will tell ten friends who will each tell ten friends.
This is not a new policy.

Gertrude the Wombat
22nd May 2018, 20:27
An open post to all those who advertise or produce advertising to inflict on the public.
Some brands are kind enough to put "as seen on TV" on their packaging or POS advertising. This means that I know to avoid these products even though, not having a TV licence, I've never seen the ads. Why would I want to pay for TV that I don't even watch?

sitigeltfel
22nd May 2018, 20:31
POS advertising

Fnar..Fnar!

;)

Alsacienne
22nd May 2018, 22:28

On a recent visit to Hastings, we drove up and down the seafront many times but never saw the statue in the insurance ad. Was I already blinded by the bird or does it not exist? In any case the excreting seagull and its mates are on duty at Dover Eastern Docks, wandering up and down the lines of waiting traffic and snatching as much as they can from unwary sandwich eaters!

RAT 5
2nd Jun 2018, 21:04
There seems to be a fashion among adverts. The 'cheap quick quick loans' are back. How stupid/desperate do they think people are. The APR range from 39.9% to 1329% and any %'s in between: and only now is the government considering investigating these loan shark pay-day loan companies. It's gone mad.

Followed quickly by the the advertising break in a sports program where there are 3 or 4 different internet betting apps being trumpeted; all "betting responsibly". no doubt funded by the ludicrous pay-day loan sharks. Quick Quack how can I lose more money on Bet 366?

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Jun 2018, 21:26
The 'cheap quick quick loans' are back. How stupid/desperate do they think people are. The APR range from 39.9% to 1329% and any %'s in between: and only now is the government considering investigating these loan shark pay-day loan companies. It's gone mad.
The problem is supposedly that the government are playing whack-a-mole with specific products - they've gone after payday loans, so the sharks simply restructure the products so that they don't meet the legal definition of "payday loans", and this game can go on forever. Government doesn't seem to want to say "nobody can charge more than 10% over base rate for anything ever regardless of the financial engineering structure".

seafire6b
2nd Jun 2018, 21:40
Some brands are kind enough to put "as seen on TV" on their packaging or POS advertising. This means that I know to avoid these products even though, not having a TV licence, I've never seen the ads. Why would I want to pay for TV that I don't even watch?

You're missing the bigger point. If you purchase ANY product that's advertised on TV, then along with all the other people who buy it, you have become one of the many who contribute towards its advertising budget. That's irrespective of you watching TV or not.

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Jun 2018, 22:13
You're missing the bigger point.
I'm not. I may have failed to communicate it adequately, but I certainly haven't missed it.

G-CPTN
2nd Jun 2018, 22:22
My grammar-school form-master had a belief that all advertising should be confined to a publication that you could obtain when you wanted to buy something.

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Jun 2018, 22:35
My grammar-school form-master had a belief that all advertising should be confined to a publication that you could obtain when you wanted to buy something.
:ok:

That used to work for some products, like postage stamps and electronic components - if you wanted to buy some, you bought the relevant magazine, and read the advertisements, which consisted almost entirely of lists of catalogue numbers/part numbers and prices. Then you bought a postal order and sent off your SAE.

Rush2112
6th Jan 2019, 04:38
I've recently worked out how to watch UK TV here and having not seen it much in many years I am quite astonished at the adverts cluttering up daytime TV back in the old country. Weekdays, when I get home it's mid-morning in UK and ITV4 shows Minder, The Sweeney and The Professionals, all of which I always enjoyed back in the 70s and 80s so I watch them for a nostalgia kick, and the shows themselves rarely disappoint. Unless it's a Minder without Terry, but I digress (after only 3 lines!).

What I cannot get over is the adverts. Funeral Plans? Work Injury Ambulance Chasing Lawyers? Loans with 1000% APR? Bingo sites? Mind you, the one with Usain Bolt on the treadmill is quite funny the first couple of times.

Pontius Navigator
6th Jan 2019, 08:55
The one that gets my pip right now is an obnoxious patronizing foreigner surrounded Brits. I think he is a cook.

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Jan 2019, 09:51
What I cannot get over is the adverts. Funeral Plans? Work Injury Ambulance Chasing Lawyers? Loans with 1000% APR? Bingo sites?
I would imagine that daytime TV advertisements are aimed at the sort of punter that the advertisers expect to have nothing better to do during working hours than watch TV.

meadowrun
6th Jan 2019, 09:54
I actually watch little television but it is generally on as ambient noise.
Lately have noticed many, many ads for the CDIC (Federal entity that insures bank deposits). Sometimes 5 and 6 times an hour. This is an organization that does not sell any actual product. Sent them an email complaining about the expenditure of tax $s.
Almost as bad as the current slate of Fisherman's Friend's "As Poseidon is my witness, it's like a trident to the troat".

Blues&twos
6th Jan 2019, 10:15
I miss the genuinely frightening 1970s UK Public Information "ads".
The Spirit of Dark and Lonely Water
The kid retrieving a frisbee from an electricity substation.
And my all time horrific favourite, Apaches, in which all the children end up dead (e.g. drowning in a slurry pit).
Must-see school holiday daytime viewing.

Everything seems a bit soft now, by comparison.

treadigraph
6th Jan 2019, 10:29
Blues & Twos, they should do one today showing a mobile phone user walking into the path of a car or something... I saw exactly that scenario on Friday, woman on phone crossing in front of a tram, oblivious to it... And not the first time.

On the other hand, my music shuffle turned up Al Stewart "On the Border" yesterday, a school friend used to claim it was the Esso advert tiger theme from the 70s, which I always disputed! Bless Youtube - found it, a Jeff Wayne composition specially commissioned by Esso. So there Mark! :p

El Grifo
6th Jan 2019, 10:32
Two of the most arrogant adverts on TV right now, both unsurprisingly emerging from the same cultural roots, Drive Smug, by Sixt and Discover your Smile by TUI.

The Smug driver just needs a punch on the greasy mouth and do TUI really think that no one has smiled EVER, before taking one of their holidays. Re-discover your smile maybe !

Rant Over :-)
El G.

DaveReidUK
6th Jan 2019, 10:41
On the other hand, my music shuffle turned up Al Stewart "On the Border" yesterday, a school friend used to claim it was the Esso advert tiger theme from the 70s, which I always disputed! Bless Youtube - found it, a Jeff Wayne composition specially commissioned by Esso.

Ah, the days when Esso used to do multilingual adverts:

_VhONf1xfeM

Donkey497
6th Jan 2019, 10:45
I have to disagree El G, It's not the driver who deserves to be punched, it's the irritating fools at Sixt and their advertising agency that came up with this schtick in the first place and approved it for release onto the general public. May I express the fond desire in respect of them all that their next one's a reversing porcupine.

Lancelot37
6th Jan 2019, 11:16
Thankfully I NEVER see TV adverts as I only watch 1 hour of TV a week and that is on BBC.

Blues&twos
6th Jan 2019, 11:38
Treadigraph - I think you're talking about this one (this is the shortened version without the talking).
My favourite ad of all time, for some reason.
​​​​​​https://youtu.be/Fcs42W-1h48

El Grifo
6th Jan 2019, 11:42
Fair comment Don Donkey.
I have seen several adverts of this type , promoting smugness and selfishness, all funnily enough, emerging from the same cultural root.
As for that lumpen piece of junk that passes for the TUI logo, it us the worst I have ever set eyes on !
I recall speaking to a radio operator on a Thomson cruise ships not long after the logo was introduced. He said he had lost count of the number of comms he had received on tjhe open sea consisting of refetences to "- - - - calling the Russian Ship"

El Grifo

treadigraph
6th Jan 2019, 12:04
Blues&Twos, that's the one - when you could advertise industry without hiding behind a fluffy bunny wabbit.

DaveReid, that one pre-dates me telly watching days slightly! :-)

Rush2112
6th Jan 2019, 13:17
I would imagine that daytime TV advertisements are aimed at the sort of punter that the advertisers expect to have nothing better to do during working hours than watch TV.

Fair comment.

chevvron
6th Jan 2019, 13:27
I hate any advert which uses the words 'two times' instead of the correct word of 'twice'.

G-CPTN
6th Jan 2019, 13:32
I hate any advert which uses the words 'two times' instead of the correct word of 'twice'.
I recall learning my two-times table, rather than my twice table.

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Jan 2019, 13:56
two-times table
Given that we hear people talking about the importance of children learning their "times-tables", shouldn't that be

"two times-table"

not

"two-times table"

?

Pontius Navigator
6th Jan 2019, 20:02
One two is two
Two two's are four
Three two's are six

Once two is twice
Twice two is thrice
Thrice two is ?????

DaveReidUK
6th Jan 2019, 20:26
Given that we hear people talking about the importance of children learning their "times-tables"

I'm impressed that you are able to discern the presence or absence of hyphens in the spoken word. :O

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Jan 2019, 20:35
I'm impressed that you are able to discern the presence or absence of hyphens in the spoken word. :O
It's not that hard - it's like hearing the wrongly hyphenated "fine tooth-comb" all the time.

vctenderness
6th Jan 2019, 21:54
My pet hate at the moment is the music accompanying the ad forTrentino. I’m sure the place is stunning and for those that Ski it must be heaven

But the Muzak sounds as if it was written by a chimpanzee and played on an out of tune Stylaphone (probably by out of favour Rolf Harris).

Ascend Charlie
7th Jan 2019, 03:08
One two is two
Two two's are four
Three two's are six

Once two is twice
Twice two is thrice
Thrice two is ?????

Oh, Pontiu's, how sad.

One two is two
Two twos are four NO APO'STROPHE'S, PLEA'S'E
Three twos are six

Once two is twice
Twice two is thrice - really? Thought it was three times once?
Thrice two is ????? Doesn't have a name?

Pontius Navigator
7th Jan 2019, 14:46
Jus'testin'

Pontius Navigator
7th Jan 2019, 14:53
Does anyone also find the BBC in-house adverts and space fillers annoying?

That somewhat pointless one with swimmers, cyclists, wheelchairs etc. Quite colourful and clearly meaningful though I have yet to see what is for.

Grayfly
7th Jan 2019, 15:16
Yes, very.

However, they have a positive side in that it gives you time to switch off before you actually see what cr*p usually follows them. Just thinking One Show, East Enders and the pointless celebrity type cooking, house makeover, relocation etc programmes.

Krystal n chips
7th Jan 2019, 15:25

That somewhat pointless one with swimmers, cyclists, wheelchairs etc. Quite colourful and clearly meaningful though I have yet to see what is for.

Nope, quite entertaining really...however, it's possibly unsurprising you can't understand their context because, sadly you may recall, you couldn't understand the reprise of Winston Wolfe in the "Direct Line " ads either and whom they were advertising , even though this was, erm, your insurance company! .

gemma10
7th Jan 2019, 16:48
I used to enjoy watching Morse and Lewis on ITV. Then the repeats were initially on ITV but thereafter they were viewed only on ITV3. On ITV the programmes lasted two hours but on ITV3 that was upped to two and a half hours. I got so bored with the ednless ads, just switched off.

ATNotts
7th Jan 2019, 17:07
The ads and advertisers that appear not to understand the difference between a "sale" - getting rid of excess stock, and a "promotion" like flogging broadband at low introductory offers, and airline seats sold so far ahead that if they were really in a sale the airline would clearly be in financial trouble.

If the ASA insisted businesses differentiated between genuine sales and promotions there would be far fewer of the former, and DFS, SCS, EasyJet, BT, Virgin Holidays and the like would have to be more honest with their marketing.

chevvron
7th Jan 2019, 17:29
I think the 'Purple Bricks' claims need to be investigated; sell a house via an estate agent and you have to pay commision; sell via PB and you have to pay a lump sum, plus a sum for every viewing (according to their small print) plus more for other unspecified services, so will it really work out that much cheaper? Plus if you don't sell via them or at all, you still have to pay the lump sum.

ATNotts
7th Jan 2019, 17:44
I think the 'Purple Bricks' claims need to be investigated; sell a house via an estate agent and you have to pay commision; sell via PB and you have to pay a lump sum, plus a sum for every viewing (according to their small print) plus more for other unspecified services, so will it really work out that much cheaper? Plus if you don't sell via them or at all, you still have to pay the lump sum.

When is commission not commission? When it's a fee!

Our experience of Purple Bricks is that the lump sum was just that, no extra fees per view, but we did pay them to conduct the viewings (it was the MiL's house not our's) but not per view. Fees overall were lower than a traditional estate agent and their service was fine, let down only by their in house conveyancing company who were less competent than we would have liked - but to be honest there don't appear to be many decent businesses in that field! Of course the fee, though lower than a commission was paid up front, and as you say, as a fee is non refundable.

hiflymk3
7th Jan 2019, 18:10
Purple Bricks, now there's a Spoonerism.

Tankertrashnav
7th Jan 2019, 23:56
Just thinking One Show,

As an aside, why does the One Show, possibly the most irritating show on BBC, always start a couple of minutes early?

Grayfly
8th Jan 2019, 08:50
As an aside, why does the One Show, possibly the most irritating show on BBC, always start a couple of minutes early?
So the production team, writers and presenters can get back home in time to get their homework done and into bed in time for school the next day.

Pontius Navigator
8th Jan 2019, 08:55
But the Meerkats around Coronation Street are amusing but I think the message is lost. Our dog loves watching but she has no purchasing power.

Allan Lupton
8th Jan 2019, 08:59
Like many here I expect, I don't watch adverts if I can help it, but I think I notice that these days it seems that any ad which features a couple has to be a "mixed race" couple.

RedhillPhil
8th Jan 2019, 10:16
When is commission not commission? When it's a fee!

Our experience of Purple Bricks is that the lump sum was just that, no extra fees per view, but we did pay them to conduct the viewings (it was the MiL's house not our's) but not per view. Fees overall were lower than a traditional estate agent and their service was fine, let down only by their in house conveyancing company who were less competent than we would have liked - but to be honest there don't appear to be many decent businesses in that field! Of course the fee, though lower than a commission was paid up front, and as you say, as a fee is non refundable.
When I sold my house in Redhill in 2015 the estate agent (double barreled name) charged me a very reasonable flat fee and no charges for viewing. I do think that the purple bricks with their "no commission" claim are a bit misleading. I tend to dislike any advertising for cars.

BehindBlueEyes
8th Jan 2019, 21:19
I’m sorry, I know this isn’t what thread is asking, but I just love this ad. The clown at the end is priceless.

https://youtu.be/rhlrOP7ytKs