PDA

View Full Version : Capt Martyn Thomson ex Cathay Pacific

frieghtdog2000
16th Apr 2018, 18:37
Sad news - Martyn Thomson passed away yesterday after a short illness. Hamble Course 673, BEA, British Airtours 707 and then a long career with Cathay Pacific.

RIP Sadly Missed.

jonathon68
17th Apr 2018, 02:16
What a shame. A Gentleman and one of the great characters on the 777 and 747.

oriental flyer
17th Apr 2018, 02:20
Very sad news , he will be fondly remembered

corrigin
17th Apr 2018, 02:48
An absolute Gentleman. Truly enjoyed flying with him on the 747.
RIP Martyn.

LongTimeInCX
17th Apr 2018, 04:15
A Gentleman indeed.
One of the first guys I met in hk when I joined mid-80's.
Always a pleasure to fly with.
Memory is dodgy, but was his wife called Padoong?
Please post service details when known.

Jn14:6
17th Apr 2018, 08:18
Sad news.
Martyn did most of my line training on the TriStar when I first joined.
As has been said, a true gentleman, and a good trainer as well. (He must have been to get me through!)
R.I.P.

Dora-9
17th Apr 2018, 18:50
Sad news. A very nice man.

frieghtdog2000
17th Apr 2018, 19:33
A Gentleman indeed.
One of the first guys I met in hk when I joined mid-80's.
Always a pleasure to fly with.
Memory is dodgy, but was his wife called Padoong?
Please post service details when known.

Your memory is entirely accurate. I will post details when known.

Arfur Dent
17th Apr 2018, 20:23
Absolute Gent and very kind to those of us who joined in the mid - 80's.
RIP Martyn.

anxiao
17th Apr 2018, 22:12
And I remember, a MENSA of note. As his F/O I asked him if he knew when Chinese New Year was next year and he worked it out in his head, adding the appropriate numbers of moon cycles to the then date.

Sort of Modern Old School, if you know what I mean. A joy to fly with.

frieghtdog2000
24th Apr 2018, 12:31
Funeral Details are below:

Martyn’s funeral will be held this Saturday (28 April) at 2.30 p.m..

All Hallows Church, Church Lane, South Cerney, Cirencester GL7 5TT

And afterwards at the pub nearby.

Jonnie Chan
25th Apr 2018, 22:10
Thank you, Frieghtdog2000 for the information. I was able to forward the details to our Airtours members.
Martyn and I flew together as copilots in BEA Airtours on the B707 in June 1974.
Its good to see the high regard he was held in whilst at CX.
May he Rest in Peace.

bang ding ow
5th Nov 2018, 07:26
Have not been on in a while.
Massively sorry to hear of his passing. A true Gent. I flew with him a few times and it was always a pleasure...the kind of guy you just wanted to go the extra mile for. I also remember as a based pilot being a part of the evening beer crowd 1 night in HK at the crew hotel in TST during the time of the initial company attacks on us circa 1993-4, one of the then mis-manager pilots walked in and joined us. Martyn took him aside, sat him down away from us and proceeded to berate him for his and the company's despicable actions. The bar became very quiet very quickly. It was a stellar performance and the dressing down was massively appropriate at the time. The manager rat initially tried to defend himself and the company but Martyn (being not a small man) was having none of it and proceeded to shred him even more!!...needless to say, the rat left after Martyn had finished and never showed his face in the bar again. Later in my career, Martyn was THE senior Pilot at CX - no.1. I was at Despatch and he was at the desk next to mine clearly on a line check. He asked the FO if the checkie (a particularly nasty variety, with a terrible reputation) had arrived as it was time to get on the bus. Clearly by that time in his career Martyn had had enough of idiots, arse lickers and bullies. The checkie arrived and Martyn just tore him off a strip in-front of everyone there. I had, up to that point, never seen someone so appropriately demeaned in all my life!!!.....I was lucky to call Martyn a friend at work. RIP