PDA

View Full Version : Duty Free Not So Free as of May 1

The Outlaw
16th Apr 2018, 02:41
The latest from the "Tower of joy and good tidings" is that from May 1 the duty free allowance for crew will be zero for crew. The good news is that there is no change for passengers :rolleyes:.

From what I see, the duty will be 50% on bottles with a receipt provided, so that AED 100 bottle of wine will now cost you AED 150. I'm not sure what the penalty will be if you "happen to lose the receipt", but I'd venture a guess and say it will be ridiculous.

dustyflightdeck
16th Apr 2018, 05:14
Yes I am really feeling like a valued professional at EK! And they wonder why no one wants to join any more?

SOPS
16th Apr 2018, 05:32
I thought this issue had gone away.....

harry the cod
16th Apr 2018, 05:57
Mr Outlaw

Can you please tell us where this info has come from as there's nothing on the portal.

Harry

felixthecat
16th Apr 2018, 06:57
Seriously, they have these forums, they see how the peasants are revolting and yet they penny pinch to squeeze the lemon of its last drops of juice.

They tried to say it was the customs authority last time and that backfired on them. Why do they have to keep pushing and pushing, they do nothing except create bad feeling and add another straw to the donkeys back.

I hope this is just another bad rumour....enough metaphors for today ������

777-200LR
16th Apr 2018, 07:20
When you have wanna be cabin crew line up from as early as 0300 during the open day at HQ, it’s no wonder the leaders feel they are firmly in the driving seat again!

http://https://lovindubai.com/lifestyle/travel/emirates/emirates-recruitment-queue

pilotguy1222
16th Apr 2018, 11:09
If this does come back again, we ALL need to take 5 min of our time and drop an email. To whomever someone here thinks is best, and we need to find out why:
Why is this "rule" not applicable to our neighboring crew friends down the road, especially since this a "UAE rule".
Why this only applies to EK crew in Dubai, since no other inbound aircrew was affected.

As usual, it will most likely do nothing, but I would like to hear the truth rather than all the BS lies that were tossed at us last time this happened.

johnjonesnine
16th Apr 2018, 11:57
Not a pilot, so maybe someone can explain to a passenger why pilots should get cheap booze?

dustyflightdeck
16th Apr 2018, 12:48
Not a pilot, so maybe someone can explain to a passenger why pilots should get cheap booze?

How about because I am an adult and as such I should be able to bring back a bottle of wine from my layover if I want to? Just like you can in every other country, just like the passengers can. It is one of the few perks of this job we have left that are fast disappearing

Mango
16th Apr 2018, 12:49

Cheap booze!?! What it means is that if we buy a nice bottle of wine in a wine shop in Italy we have to pay a extra cost in Dubai on arrival. As a passenger you are exempt. At the moment we have the same entitlement as passengers and pilots happen to be people who enjoy a glass of alcohol on their days off just like passengers.

johnjonesnine
16th Apr 2018, 12:58
You guys work for an airline, you get perks from your employers in the form of free/subsidized travel for yourselves, family and friends. This is perhaps the most valuable perk any expat can have.

As for the booze, perhaps I am mistaken. I assumed that you were referring to an entitlement to buy alcohol at duty-free prices onboard or in the airport shop.

But you seem to be talking about picking up an nice Chianti in Tuscany and bringing it back to the UAE. If that is the case then you should of course have the same entitlement as everyone else (but no more!).

halas
16th Apr 2018, 13:10
Free/subsidized travel is not free or subsidized. It's inclusive of the T & C's of joining.

halas

givemewings
16th Apr 2018, 15:56
And that's *if* you get the leave you asked for to use the "free/subsidised" travel.

Also it ain't free. We pay for it big time, more than any non-flyer could possibly understand. Especially in this company

Emma Royds
16th Apr 2018, 21:24
The thought of a day trip for 'shopping' to Bahrain on Gulf Air has become more appealing. The icing on the cake is the complimentary lounge access at both ends with ones NBD credit card for a libation or two. :E

sanddune 1
16th Apr 2018, 23:08
Why is this issue raising its ugly head again? I thought with all the bad press, complaints, unfairness, and total upheaval & fiasco of the customs guys/gals in EGHQ, that we had put this ridiculous restriction behind us?

I haven’t heard anything on it? Therefore as far as I’m concerned it’s business as usual. I’ll be bringing in my “duty free” because that’s what it is - “free from duty!”

Emirates cannot dictate Customs Policy to us - that policy must come from the UAE government itself. If this change is coming from UAE Customs, it must be implemented for All Crew members of all Air Carriers, - not just Emirates!

Let’s hope this is just a bad rumor!

ironbutt57
17th Apr 2018, 03:18
Why is this issue raising its ugly head again? I thought with all the bad press, complaints, unfairness, and total upheaval & fiasco of the customs guys/gals in EGHQ, that we had put this ridiculous restriction behind us?

I haven’t heard anything on it? Therefore as far as I’m concerned it’s business as usual. I’ll be bringing in my “duty free” because that’s what it is - “free from duty!”

Emirates cannot dictate Customs Policy to us - that policy must come from the UAE government itself. If this change is coming from UAE Customs, it must be implemented for All Crew members of all Air Carriers, - not just Emirates!

Let’s hope this is just a bad rumor!

nice try, the company and/or customs can restrict as they please....at GF we had restrictions in Bahrain on duty free alcohol to one bottle a month for quite a long time, as the local boy cabin crew were running their own liquor store with the duty free they were bringing in, and got caught...hence the restriction...but it was GF only, other airlines had same allowances as the pax

johnjonesnine
17th Apr 2018, 07:37
johnjonesnine
- you buy a bottle of booze in another country or in duty free and you come to Dubai - no duty charge.
- we buy a bottle of booze in another country or in duty free and come to Dubai - the duty will be 50% on bottles with a receipt provided and much more if no receipt.

Now ask yourself why are EK crew being given this special charge when NO other airline is?

I don't believe that there can be a State tax that is specific to EK crew. Somebody somewhere is trying to be a little too clever. Has anyone ever sought details of the legal basis for this charge (and who, precisely, is levying the charge?)

parabellum
17th Apr 2018, 11:42
Why this only applies to EK crew in Dubai, since no other inbound aircrew was affected.

Probably because you are resident in Dubai. Don't ask me for the logic, but I have seen that given as a reason to impose limitations on crew importing booze to their home base.

avtur007
17th Apr 2018, 13:17
I don't believe that there can be a State tax that is specific to EK crew. Somebody somewhere is trying to be a little too clever. Has anyone ever sought details of the legal basis for this charge (and who, precisely, is levying the charge?)
Legal basis - Lol

johnjonesnine
17th Apr 2018, 13:17
There are two separate issues here it seems to me:

Firstly there is whether or not anyone should be allowed to bring alcohol on a plane to Dubai. The Government of Dubai is entitled to permit this or not as it chooses (Qatar doesn't permit it for example, even though alcohol is available in Qatar). That law should apply to everyone equally, passengers and crew. However the airline is entitled to apply separate rules to its employees - when you are flying you are at work and responsible for the passengers and equipment of your employer. The airline could say that it does not want employees bringing any alcohol (or a limited amount of alcohol) on to its planes and it would be perfectly within its rights to do so - most workplaces the world over do not allow employees to bring alcohol on to the premises.

The second issue is the application of a charge/duty by airlines on alcohol brought into Dubai by airline personnel. Here the airline has no rights whatsoever. Duties are a tax levied by Governments only, and not by corporate entities. The taxes paid by airline staff resident in Dubai should be the same as those paid by any other resident of Dubai.

donpizmeov
17th Apr 2018, 13:50
The third issue is that it actually hasn't been announced that this is happen yet. So a lot of energy is being wasted on a non event so far.

Forth issue is that Dubai customs collected the duty last time, not the airline. So the money paid as duty goes to the government. No surprise there.

And pilots should be given a better duty free allowance than the pax down the back. As pilots are better looking, and just great guys/gals. This also seems very obvious.

dustyflightdeck
17th Apr 2018, 14:09
The rumour is May 1. Last time it was announced 3 days prior if I am not mistaken?

aeropix
17th Apr 2018, 15:08
26th is the last Thursday in April. Expect announcement then.

givemewings
18th Apr 2018, 02:44
And pilots should be given a better duty free allowance than the pax down the back. As pilots are better looking, and just great guys/gals. This also seems very obvious.

:} :ok:

This sounds like a thread starter in the good old days of "fun" pprune lol

777-200LR
18th Apr 2018, 02:58
Because they have perfected the art of bean counting, they have already put a number of resignations into account if this materializes

Easy Peasy
18th Apr 2018, 08:22
Because they have perfected the art of bean counting, they have already put a number of resignations into account if this materializes

Just like everyone quits after the profit share announcement?? It never happens, everyone keeps rowing.

777-200LR
18th Apr 2018, 15:11
Just like everyone quits after the profit share announcement?? It never happens, everyone keeps rowing

Couldn’t agree more. The amount of times I’ve heard that long before ever joining EK!

Jack D
18th Apr 2018, 20:18
There are two separate issues here it seems to me:

Firstly there is whether or not anyone should be allowed to bring alcohol on a plane to Dubai. The Government of Dubai is entitled to permit this or not as it chooses (Qatar doesn't permit it for example, even though alcohol is available in Qatar). That law should apply to everyone equally, passengers and crew. However the airline is entitled to apply separate rules to its employees - when you are flying you are at work and responsible for the passengers and equipment of your employer. The airline could say that it does not want employees bringing any alcohol (or a limited amount of alcohol) on to its planes and it would be perfectly within its rights to do so - most workplaces the world over do not allow employees to bring alcohol on to the premises.

The second issue is the application of a charge/duty by airlines on alcohol brought into Dubai by airline personnel. Here the airline has no rights whatsoever. Duties are a tax levied by Governments only, and not by corporate entities. The taxes paid by airline staff resident in Dubai should be the same as those paid by any other resident of Dubai.

So the lunch time beer at the BMW factory is truly unique ... not to mention the wine offered in staff restaurants all over Europe .. who knew ?

Flyboy010
19th Apr 2018, 03:15
So passengers and other airlines crew are fine! But not EK crew!?!? Why they hate us so much 😡

Simplythebeast
19th Apr 2018, 06:28
Whats the problem? Just get it drunk before you land.......simples.

harry the cod
19th Apr 2018, 15:24
So, 32 posts in and still no confirmation from The thread starter as to the validity and source of his information.

I can't believe how many people get their knickers in a twist without any concrete evidence to back up this drivel! It may have slipped the notice of many but The Outlaw will be leaving EK within the next month or so. A last attempt to stir the pot and wind up the angry and gullible mob before leaving perhaps?

If this policy is indeed forthcoming, which I very much doubt, let's deal with it as and when. In the meantime, seriously?

Harry

The Outlaw
19th Apr 2018, 18:42
Wait for it Harry....have some faith in the downward trend!

I assume you can read so you might remember that the lifting of the ban was a TEMPORARY MEASURE as written by the company. No where was it ever written that this was rescinded permanently. You may also recall that the "R" in PPRUNE stands for "rumour", would you agree with that Mr. Cod?

If I recall correctly, your country of birth allows for 1 litre of spirts or 2 bottles of wine duty free, much the same as mine, but we don't complain there, why is that? Booze and smoke are a big source of tax in most western countries so why not here? Start small with crew then slowly restrict passengers over time. Seems logical for any country looking for additional revenue. You strike me as a logical thinker Harold, I thought you of all people would support the masters on this one!

Its coming, its not a rumour and no, I won't reveal my sources. The target date is May although I suspect it might come a little later, lets see how it plays out with the religious holidays approaching.

Enjoy your duty free cola!

Emma Royds
19th Apr 2018, 19:59
Booze and smoke are a big source of tax in most western countries so why not here? Start small with crew then slowly restrict passengers over time.

Just my gut feeling but I can't see them altering the allowance for passengers any time soon. The allowance is generous in global terms and ridiculously so in a regional context, when some GCC states prohibit any alcohol from being taken in.

The main reason I suspect is tourism. If you think the Russians on holiday in Sharjah are dry for their entire stay, then think again! :E

Joker11
20th Apr 2018, 17:49
Just my gut feeling but I can't see them altering the allowance for passengers any time soon. The allowance is generous in global terms and ridiculously so in a regional context, when some GCC states prohibit any alcohol from being taken in.

The main reason I suspect is tourism. If you think the Russians on holiday in Sharjah are dry for their entire stay, then think again! :E

I was talking to my colleague the other day. UAE's alcohol allowance is more generous than most Western countries as they don't impose a limit of hard liquer. You can bring in 4L of any type you like. Most countries don't have that.

Craggenmore
20th Apr 2018, 18:05
Oh Joy.

The Outlaw = SOPS V.2

Spoke to Customs this morning (when he finally got off his phone) and he had no idea.

RK Blue sky
21st Apr 2018, 02:09
It’s really good to see that some pilots aren’t shackled to Emirates and can escape.
Good luck Outlaw. Wherever you’re going I’m sure it’s better than here.

serf
21st Apr 2018, 06:49
When do you have time to drink all this booze?

The Outlaw
21st Apr 2018, 16:12
Oh Joy.

The Outlaw = SOPS V.2

Spoke to Customs this morning (when he finally got off his phone) and he had no idea.

Yes, because escaping EK is the most painful and selfish thing SOPS or myself (and many hundreds of others) have ever done!

Craggenmore = Stockholm Syndrome and a good minion!!

Highway1
21st Apr 2018, 16:17

Is there really anyone who would resign over the loss of Duty Free?

fliion
21st Apr 2018, 16:23
Yes, because escaping EK is the most painful and selfish thing SOPS or myself (and many hundreds of others) have ever done!

Craggenmore = Stockholm Syndrome and a good minion!!

Outlaw comparing yourself to SOPS is a tad rich. SOPS has never attacked his former colleagues like you and a few others do. He gives a perspective that is his experience and happiness with leaving.

There are guys that leave and come back here and have good input, Neptune, Falcon, SOPS etc - but they don’t blur the lines between mgt & pilots - that you and people like AirBubba do.

Craggenmore has always had balanced input.

You are often on here having a bitter pop at EK pilots - we are not the source of your anger. In fact I would go so far as to say that one of the main reasons many of us stay - is because of the guys in the flight deck that you keep having a go at.

Do us a favor - save your vitriol for the ex mgt that you have issues with - as against your old colleagues who you worked side by side with, guys and gals who on occasion probably helped you out of sticky ending.

Never understood the guys who leave and take it out on their fellow pilots.

Grow up

The Outlaw
21st Apr 2018, 16:24
When do you have time to drink all this booze?

Exactly!

This is why it is unnecessary and will be taxed!

PS...According to some, drinking is bad for you. Better to stay sober and be ready for a call to work for OT on your day off....no?

T-66

Personal notes:

From the 90 day resignation window to now...there was fog. Confusion over the resignation. I stayed the course and now am starting to feel things I haven't know for many many years... optimism, hope, quest for freedom. At this stage I am NEO when he woke from the pod ( The Matrix ).

The Outlaw
21st Apr 2018, 16:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTt6-8l80dU

The Outlaw
21st Apr 2018, 16:35
Outlaw comparing yourself to SOPS is a tad rich. SOPS has never attacked his former colleagues like you and a few others do. He gives a perspective that is his experience and happiness with leaving.

There are guys that leave and come back here and have good input, Neptune, Falcon, SOPS etc - but they don’t blur the lines between mgt & pilots - that you and people like AirBubba do.

Craggenmore has always had balanced input.

You are often on here having a bitter pop at EK pilots - we are not the source of your anger. In fact I would go so far as to say that one of the main reasons many of us stay - is because of the guys in the flight deck that you keep having a go at.

Do us a favor - save your vitriol for the ex mgt that you have issues with - as against your old colleagues who you worked side by side with, guys and gals who on occasion probably helped you out of sticky ending.

Never understood the guys who leave and take it out on their fellow pilots.

Grow up

Fliion,

You are the bitter one here. Do yourself a favor and look in the mirror.

I am not bitter at any of my colleagues, only the mis-management of what could have been the best company in the world to work for.

SOPS, myself and hundreds of others have had the BALLS to resign and seek better avenues. If this angers you then take a long look in the mirror and do something positive for yourself going forward.

You have your own anger issues from many of the posts I have seen from you over the years.

Good luck in your future, I hope you find happiness as well.

The Outlaw
21st Apr 2018, 16:45
Oh Joy.

The Outlaw = SOPS V.2

Fliion:

This is a balanced post? He asked some guy at the x ray machine (after he finally got off his phone) and he "had no idea"?

You have an interesting perspective...

LOL!!!

fliion
21st Apr 2018, 17:11
Fliion,

You are the bitter one here. Do yourself a favor and look in the mirror.

I am not bitter at any of my colleagues, only the mis-management of what could have been the best company in the world to work for.

SOPS, myself and hundreds of others have had the BALLS to resign and seek better avenues. If this angers you then take a long look in the mirror and do something positive for yourself going forward.

You have your own anger issues from many of the posts I have seen from you over the years.

Good luck in your future, I hope you find happiness as well.

And that’s the crux of what I’m referring to.

Your position is that no EK pilot has ‘balls’ because we stay - essentially placing everyone in one bracket of weekness in your eyes. A direct attack on us all.

I’ve got news for you - every person here has a reason to stay or go and will do it at a time that suits the family situation - yet you know all of our scenarios - and can make the call of weakness to all.

Good news is your gone - good riddance

The Outlaw
21st Apr 2018, 17:16

Your position is that no EK pilot has ‘balls’ because we stay - essentially placing everyone in one bracket of weekness in your eyes. A direct attack on us all.

I’ve got news for you - every person here has a reason to stay or go and will do it at a time that suits the family situation - yet you know all of our scenarios - and can make the call of weakness to all.

Yes, It takes balls to leave EK, more than it takes to stay if you stay true to your own morals. Thats where I was and I made the choice to go. Its no secret, nor is it a negative reflection on my colleges who decide to stay for their own reasons. Its also no secret that its not the same company it was some years ago and to each their own.

Again, you appear angry and bitter, especially in these past few posts. Again, may you find happiness, what ever that may be.

More than I can say for your sentiments.

fliion
21st Apr 2018, 17:30
Back on topic - I came in today at noon, asked they Customs Officer - said it’s not true.

The Outlaw
21st Apr 2018, 17:31

Angry? Frustrated?

The Outlaw
21st Apr 2018, 17:33
Back on topic - I came in today at noon, asked they Customs Officer - said it’s not true.

It's above that pay grade...be patient.

fliion
21st Apr 2018, 17:34
Lol - those who know me - say I’m too happy!

I always have a good time Outlaw - if I didn’t I’d move & when I do move the last thing I will do is come back and attack the EK pilot group for having no balls.

Great bunch of guys and gals

🍺🍺🍺

The Outlaw
21st Apr 2018, 17:44
Lol - those who know me - say I’m too happy!

I always have a good time Outlaw - if I didn’t I’d move

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTt6-8l80dU

Good for you...I hope it stays that way.

PS...your obsession with balls is getting a little weird...just saying.

Actually, all differences aside. It seems you still like EK and enjoy working there! To that I have to say congratulations, you deserve it. It is actually nice to hear that there those out there that enjoy their jobs and defend that position to the extent that you seem to.

Quite refreshing really! Not common...but refreshing!

dustyflightdeck
21st Apr 2018, 19:15
Typical EK thread pilots turn against each other. Mgmt must be laughing

Craggenmore
21st Apr 2018, 19:55
The Outlaw,

At this stage I am NEO when he woke from the pod ( The Matrix ).

May Morpheus and I wish you the very best for your new life.

So wonderful to see your comfort around bald men, large nipple clamps and buckets of formaldehyde.

Klimax
21st Apr 2018, 22:58
You guys work for an airline, you get perks from your employers in the form of free/subsidized travel for yourselves, family and friends. This is perhaps the most valuable perk any expat can have.

As for the booze, perhaps I am mistaken. I assumed that you were referring to an entitlement to buy alcohol at duty-free prices onboard or in the airport shop.

But you seem to be talking about picking up an nice Chianti in Tuscany and bringing it back to the UAE. If that is the case then you should of course have the same entitlement as everyone else (but no more!).

One word: PLEB!

donpizmeov
22nd Apr 2018, 02:32
If fliion is being called on being aggressive and unhappy there is no hope for the rest of us.

At least no-one has mention Delta yet..... doh! I just did.

guts
22nd Apr 2018, 03:40
Yep that's the ticket, every one quit and run to Delta, that will solve everything. How fast we degrade a post is amazing.

kipper the dog
22nd Apr 2018, 07:15
Ladies please. Back on topic if I dare..

Personally I don't see the ban/import duties coming back. Might be wishful thinking, but after the furore it caused last time - especially when everyone discovered it was dreamt up by EK and not Dubai customs.

Customs are the last people who want it implemented anyway, it would mean having to spending less time looking at their phones for one thing which ain't gonna happen.

When EK said the lifting on the ban was only temporary until a more efficient payment method was worked out that to me is just there way of not losing face.

Which of course is the most important thing round here.

SOPS
22nd Apr 2018, 12:11
How did I get dragged into this thread?

harry the cod
22nd Apr 2018, 15:47
No idea mate.....and there you were minding your own business walking the dogs!

PPRune can be so cruel at times.....

Harry

SilverSeated
23rd Apr 2018, 09:55
No idea mate.....and there you were minding your own business walking the dogs!

PPRune can be so cruel at times.....

Harry

Thats hysterical :D

halas
23rd Apr 2018, 12:32
So booze is 50% duty on invoice + AED75 bill of entry charge + 5%VAT.

WTF!

halas

donpizmeov
23rd Apr 2018, 13:09
Yep. It's officially ****.

SOPS
23rd Apr 2018, 13:10
Are you guessing that Halas, or has it been announced?

Whoops Don beat me by a second.
That is ridiculous!!! However, it seems that The Outlaw called it correctly.

Cantbebothered
23rd Apr 2018, 13:17
They want staff and people to buy alcohol locally at MMI which is part of the Emirates Group, so you are basically giving your employer his money back. Win/Win for them. Also they get extra money by making you renew your 'license' each year which also goes up in price like everything else. Perhaps borrow some 'recipes' for "home brews" from the Saudi neighbours?

777-200LR
23rd Apr 2018, 13:19
There’s no smoke without fire. You guys called it

delorean79
23rd Apr 2018, 13:23
It is too much.

Booze price + 50%, then 5% taxes on that 150%.
Then another 75 AED Bill of Entry, and another 10 AED Goverment Fee.

If you buy a 100AED wine, you'll pay 142,5 in Dubai. A total of 242,4 AED.

(100*1,5)*1,05 +95AED...

is that correct?

If you buy a 50AED wine, you end up paying triple the price...

TooLow
23rd Apr 2018, 13:31
It's simple, boycott MMI. Plenty of other emirates to buy your booze. Life goes on. Don't let the f*ckers win.

Cantbebothered
23rd Apr 2018, 13:36
Don't let the f*ckers win.

:E:E:E:E:ok:

golfyankeesierra
23rd Apr 2018, 13:49
Couldn't it be that their intent is just trying to get the alcohol consumption down in the pilot community? :ouch:
Not that I believe pricing will make a difference but a local manager might think so..

felixthecat
23rd Apr 2018, 14:05
Absolute disgrace.

I wonder what the guys who kindly provided the information previously for the British Airways crews have been told.

It's not even just for booze but for goods as well.

So I spend $27 on an item for my car in the US (100AED)
so 100+5%=105AED plus a bill of entry charge of 75AED so 180Aed an 80% charge just to bring something into the country.

The $27 item is now $49 !!!

As for booze
A bottle of wine from UK for £10 is 51AED. Now its +50% duty so 25.50AED
51+25.50=76.50AED
Not to be finished yet they then charge VAT at 5% so another 3.83 AED so now the
total is 80.32AED and not to be done with yet another 75Aed to even bring it into Dubai so a grand total of 155.33AED

The price of a 51Aed bottle of wine has gone up to 155.33AED or a 204.56% charge just to bring a bottle of wine.

This is a disgrace! Why do they think they need to charge this? Are things really that desperate here that they need the few AED from crew?

Cantbebothered
23rd Apr 2018, 14:44
Why has the other airline that is 'not allowed to be mentioned here' not received the same notification? Its the same country after all or is this another company decision blamed on customs?

harry the cod
23rd Apr 2018, 14:47
The fact that payment is cash only merely adds to this Third World farce. As tooLow says, buy elsewhere!

It's just another reason why people will not leave their home Countries to work here. If the airline/government is serious about retaining workers and attracting new blood to keep the economy growing, they're going about it the wrong way.

Interesting to see if BA & Virgin crew have been told? I guess we'll all know in a few weeks.....

Harry

SOPS
23rd Apr 2018, 15:01
It is death by a thousands cuts really........

White Knight
23rd Apr 2018, 15:19
Well I’ll be bringing in 4 liters of H2O every time just to put a spanner in the works! I like foreign water😎

dustyflightdeck
23rd Apr 2018, 15:55
Well there you have it and for real this time. I can tell you this... I will sooner give up booze than spend one dirham at MMI from this day onwards.

Gulf News
23rd Apr 2018, 16:05
This is another “Good idea” from someone trying to justify his position somewhere in the government. No thought has been put into its impact or implementation. As of yesterday there was no visible enhancement of the infrastructure in the arrivals at. EGHQ for customs to manage this new process due for implementation in a weeks time. At peak times upwards of 1500 crew per hour pass through the arrivals. If just 1% are required to submit to this idiotic process the congestion will bring the place to a grinding halt. The additional staff required given the productivity of the average Enarati will have to be ten fold the current allocation. But Im sure they have thought this out right?

I will follow WKs example and bring back a few bottles of tap water every trip for them to seize and store on my behalf. A rather childish way to deliver a message but one has to take into consideration who you’re dealing with.

The Outlaw
23rd Apr 2018, 16:46
Harry,

How would you like your crow? Fried, boiled or raw?

Thanks for the vote of doubt. When will you learn that optimism is a dangerous thing in this place?

Wait for it Harry....have some faith in the downward trend!

I assume you can read so you might remember that the lifting of the ban was a TEMPORARY MEASURE as written by the company. No where was it ever written that this was rescinded permanently. You may also recall that the "R" in PPRUNE stands for "rumour", would you agree with that Mr. Cod?

If I recall correctly, your country of birth allows for 1 litre of spirts or 2 bottles of wine duty free, much the same as mine, but we don't complain there, why is that? Booze and smoke are a big source of tax in most western countries so why not here? Start small with crew then slowly restrict passengers over time. Seems logical for any country looking for additional revenue. You strike me as a logical thinker Harold, I thought you of all people would support the masters on this one!

Its coming, its not a rumour and no, I won't reveal my sources. The target date is May although I suspect it might come a little later, lets see how it plays out with the religious holidays approaching.

Enjoy your duty free cola!

harry the cod
23rd Apr 2018, 17:49
Outlaw

Your source was obviously reliable and good for you.

As for Optimism? Nah, been here long enough to know the difference between reality and optimism. My point of the original post was to validate the information before people got their knickers in a twist. Now it's been validated.....whinge away!

Harry

The Outlaw
23rd Apr 2018, 18:44

Yeah...guess it must be true then.

Careful where you get your facts.

fliion
23rd Apr 2018, 19:11
Yeah...guess it must be true then.

Careful where you get your facts.

Never said it was true.

Never said it was a fact.

What I did say and stand by is:

The Outlaw
23rd Apr 2018, 19:33
Never said it was true.

Never said it was a fact.

What I did say and stand by is:

Yeah it is a good thing actually. It's time to get back to a normal life.

Despite your vexations toward me, I wish you all the best going forward.

Schnowzer
24th Apr 2018, 03:23
Gents, Ladies,

Don’t panic, calm down. The reason for the charges is clear. The pay rise and profit share will be so big you won’t be able to spend all your money so they are putting in place a framework to help.👍😉

GillEx737
24th Apr 2018, 03:53
I've heard whispers of a Barracuda discount coming through on platinum. A small mercy for us fishes?

harry the cod
24th Apr 2018, 04:48
It's already there.....10% of the value of your purchase (excludes offers/promotions) in the beverage of your choice!

There are a few other Companies springing up that even deliver, all legit. One's near AD border. Just need to have your licence as it's that which keeps you legal. I hardly ever use MMI or A&E anymore.

Craggenmore
24th Apr 2018, 04:54
There is a simple solution to this and it can be found in any office supply store...

5star
24th Apr 2018, 04:59
If I read it correctly, you will pay vat, duty, fees (with an 's') on ANYTHING you buy outside uae. Anything means anything even your bottle of water u bought to piss them off! So also your veggies and fruits, or anything else (non booze).

For some it might have little impact but for guys with families who want to keep their families away from the 'cr*p' food quality from Dubai, this is a real hard kick in the b*lls...
And for the first time my misses said she had enough if this policy gets endorsed.

Wow they really wanna hit the ground hard this time. friend of ours who is in building contracting says the residential market is dead and a lot of expats are heading for the exit after this summer.

It ll be very interesting to see how the CC digest this one....

White Knight
24th Apr 2018, 05:42
If I read it correctly, you will pay vat, duty, fees (with an 's') on ANYTHING you buy outside uae. Anything means anything even your bottle of water u bought to piss them off! So also your veggies and fruits, or anything else (non booze).

I don't think food stuffs fall under the taxable category... Guess we'll find out soon enough though!

I think it's a way to force us to buy booze from MMI or A&E; they have of course overpriced their stuff massively in the last couple of years and have lost trade. A 'Barracuda Run' every month will ensure I don't spend my money in Dubai...

Monarch Man
24th Apr 2018, 07:15
I don't think food stuffs fall under the taxable category... Guess we'll find out soon enough though!

I think it's a way to force us to buy booze from MMI or A&E; they have of course overpriced their stuff massively in the last couple of years and have lost trade. A 'Barracuda Run' every month will ensure I don't spend my money in Dubai...

My understanding as well, already plans afoot to combine resources with visitors from other airports and visits to the beach resort to the north.
Regarding the rest, most of the items I bring back are generally food, clothing or footwear related, it all looks the same as the rest of my normal suitcase items.
The greedy B’stards won’t get one extra Fil out of me.

The Outlaw
24th Apr 2018, 08:43
MM,

As much as I agree with that sentiment there will be other "government incentives" coming down the pipe that will ensure that some of those hard earned dirhams will stay in the UAE, that from a pretty reliable source. Of course nothing is in stone until its announced but be prepared for some other forms of taxation either on income or capital gains, probably after 2020.

Monarch Man
24th Apr 2018, 09:08
Outlaw, I completely agree, lots of people forget that once the tax grab starts it never stops, its merely on a slow boil much like the frog in a pot.
There is already plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that the smart money is leaving Dubai and is headed for less regulated ports and its why when asked I've always maintained zero financial interest in Dubai aside from a day to day bank account for living expenses, all the rest vacates offshore at MMO on the same day it enters the bank account in the UAE.
Plenty of people also miss the opportunity to convert DHS into USD at the fixed rate and repatriate the sums via 3rd parties that are available in pretty much every station we operate too.
I've never viewed EK and Dubai inc as anything else than an ATM machine for my enrichment, the over-riding principle here is I'm a contractor that is effectively on a rolling 3 month notice period, all these little cuts are mere inconveniences to me that either require a little more thought or planning which will hasten my escape when the time comes.
I look on with amusement, scorn and some pity at those who invest here who believe that Dubai and EK exists in any form other than to extract as much effort and enterprise without ever giving anything back in terms of culture and civility, it truly is in my view the personification of a place that values style over any form of substance.
Don has it correct when he says most of us had a clue before we joined, I don't regret joining but I'm also certain that it must work for me first without one atom of my being required to care what Dubai Inc and by extension EK thinks.

harry the cod
24th Apr 2018, 11:01
MM

Whilst agreeing with some of your points, I too find it rather sad that your time spent here is merely facilitating wealth accumulation rather than taking a few of the positives that Dubai can offer.

What you fail to grasp is that without people embracing new opportunities, Dubai would not be what it is today and EK would be a shadow of it's current self. Some of our colleagues have done extremely well financially through property. For those planning on 15 years plus in Dubai, I'd say you'd be foolish NOT to invest here. Ultimately, it's horses for courses and your rather derogatory and condescending comments to those that have bought into Dubai is more telling of your ignorance and unhappiness here than their 'foolishness'. I wonder how much pity THEY must have when they return to their private villas with pools and landscaped gardens after visiting you in Meydan.

Ironically, having left a now defunct Company, I'd have thought your employment here would be more positive than your posts portray. Not for one minute though would I imply the term grateful. I'm sure your professional services here our far more of an advantage to your employer than their employment is to you? Which does then beg the question, why ARE you still here? With absolutely no financial obligations or emotional attachment to Dubai, 'and by extension EK', I'd have thought you'd have left almost as soon as you arrived.

Maybe the thought of not sending morse to our Indian friends on 121.5 keeps you here?

Harry

felixthecat
24th Apr 2018, 11:27
Fortunately, I used to be able to embrace the opportunities that Dubai had too offer.

Unfortunately, I now cant afford many of them except as rare treats.

Fortunately, I used to be able to bring back the odd bottle and items from overseas.

Unfortunately, as of 1 May, I will be forced 150% duty/tax/expat tax just in the hope of keeping the local economy afloat. I won't do it.

Fortunately, I do have a choice where to spend my hard earned AED, it won't be here. I will just save the cash and it will hasten my departure.

Unfortunately, it serves to show more and more the poor state of things here and the lengths that people go to, to pump a few extra dirhams into an economy that is sliding slowly back into the desert :(

fliion
24th Apr 2018, 12:17
Yeah it is a good thing actually. It's time to get back to a normal life.

Despite your vexations toward me, I wish you all the best going forward.

Thank you 👍
I never turn down an olive branch.
Bon voyage.

——

Yes this extra tax is a mess, but while I used to drop into MMI from time to time without actually planning - now I will plan to avoid.

Plenty of options.

Monarch Man
24th Apr 2018, 12:56
Haha Harry, because dear boy in answer to your various barbs, its nothing more than an ATM machine, if pools, or villas etc are a measure of your success or happiness, more power too you, I have neither the intent nor inclination to be involved with any of that and yet amazingly my finances are perfectly healthy and diverse thanks for asking.
I’m still attempting to decipher your comment regarding a previous employer of mine, quite how you can construe an element of irony there is rather baffling given it’s based on thousands of decent hard working people being put to the sword, more a reflection on you than me old chap me thinks.
As to opportunity you are quite correct, I just prefer to use the ATM to fund opportunity elsewhere away from the snake oil salesmen and faux financial experts.
As to our employer and their ongoing decline, that’s their problem to solve, nothing I contribute or do will in any way make a discernible difference.
It’s good to know Harry that despite everything, you still enjoy having your view of all that wood, blocked by those pesky trees.

Emma Royds
24th Apr 2018, 21:57
There is a simple solution to this and it can be found in any office supply store...

Craggy... Have you been mixing Tipp Ex in your Piña Coladas again? :p :p

As for this farce reappearing, at least I now have a use for AED coins. For the amusement factor alone, I would happily buy a bottle of cheap plonk and pay for the duty only in 25 fils coins. That may I add would be the one and only time they would be getting any money from me with this ridiculous process!

harry the cod
25th Apr 2018, 08:28
MM

Regardless of your financial goals and views towards EK and Dubai, everyone's circumstances are different. You seem quick to ridicule those that embrace their time here and who have decided to invest, both financially and emotionally. Why? Most of us have different goals and plans to achieve them and I'm sure that was true of your ex colleagues in Monarch. How many of them expected a nice lump sum in retirement and the mortgage paid off? Instead, through no fault of their own, they're scrabbling around for jobs all over the World, most desperate to make up a significant financial shortfall in their retirement plans. The point is, nobody knows exactly how things will turn out until the day we finally hang up our flying boots. We're all professionals which equates to being paid for our services. If you see EK purely as an ATM, fine. But don't knock those that like living here and embrace it as I'm sure their downtime is more rewarding and fulfilling than the prison sentence you view Dubai as.

Pools and landscaped gardens you see as a statement to impress others. Maybe those that bought them, bought them for reasons other than just to impress. Ever thought that it was a means to get away from Emirates control, workmates constant whinging and, with a chilled beer, thank EK for giving them an additional $50,000+ every year to help pay for it. Who cares if it's worth half when they leave, EK paid that half! Save your pity and scorn for those more deserving.

May I also suggest you take another look at your contract. All pilots have an open ended contract until NRA, not 3 months like yours.

Unless you think HR is trying to tell you something?

Harry

Monarch Man
25th Apr 2018, 10:07
Once again Harry you've amazed me, as someone said to me privately, "what kind of drugs must he be using?"

I love the nice little segway you've attempted with regards to my old airline colleagues, its as if to say, "oh its not ironic they were all put out of work, its more that they can now realise their different plans and goals a different way" almost as if an airline folding around them was really just a blessing in disguise, even if they didn't plan for it.
As for knocking people investing in Dubai? why not? I'd argue as many others have that the level of regulation, corruption, nepotism and of course the odd decree thrown in for good measure means there will continue to be just as many to lose their shirts as those whom earn a new one, that is merely a statement of fact old boy. I view them as fools, plain and simple, and not because of my opinion of them as individuals but because I view the risk v reward as far more risk for not a lot of extra reward, which leads us nicely to our current situation and topic.
Imagine for a moment that as a new joiner you are as happy as a camper with your new role here in the sandy pit, you complete your TR, your family arrives, life is good. Now imagine suddenly and I'm told, retrospectively, a grade "3" becomes a "2" post your bond being active, subsequently after a few weeks of stress and reviews you are now told you are terminated, but informed that before you go you need to pony up the 200.000DHS bond. Imagine for a second if that is as ALLEGED to me, all true? why would one want to risk ANY financial entanglement, debt, credit card when all of the previous is a possibility?
Harry, wake up, you are never away from EK's grasp, you are just paid a better salary than the BMW/Volvo drivers are, you know it, and I know it, so stop deluding yourself that the nice things you describe can ever be a substitute for respect, common decency and most of all being empowered with a sense of self-worth rather than a sense of exploitation and disengagement.
The duty applied to items will be rigidly applied in EGHQ, as its a captive market, just like you and me, the difference is I don't choose to live in fantasy land nor invest any part of me in it, and I'm smiling :-)

thatwasclose
25th Apr 2018, 10:44
MM,
If I hated everything so much around me , the company I work for , the place I live , the air I breathe I think I would be happier driving a taxi elsewhere for much much less money . Yet you stay where you are . For what , for money ? We could all make do with half the pay we receive elsewhere and be happy . But to chose to remain here with so much scorn for everything around you for .... money . That can’t be good . Harry says some stuff I disagree with on a regular basis . I ain’t a fan of the company I work for but I really enjoy living here right now with my family . Beach is cool , friends are good and saving money at the same time . Dubai ain’t perfect , but where is . As far as investing in a place ... property everywhere has snake oil salesmen and uncertainty . How many people lost their homes in the states ? You make it sound like it is unethical to invest in dubai , ethics ? You ever own a BP stock ?
Regardless I hope you get your money and get out to somewhere nice .

Monarch Man
25th Apr 2018, 13:04
Thanks thatwasclose, I'm sure it is a nice place :-)

FWIW, I don't recall ever having used the word "hate", I'm merely pointing out a few things as I see them. I too enjoy the beach, the kids are in good schools and she who must be obeyed enjoys it here 9 months out of 12.
Despite what some might think, the vast majority of my EK co-workers are outstanding individuals in my experience, that doesn't however do a lot to redress the imbalance of roster v lifestyle nor does it make me feel any connection to Dubai and EK, it is what it is, but hate is not a word I would choose to describe my personal circumstances.
I suppose in retrospect I'd describe myself as a cynical pragmatist.

DuneMentat
27th Apr 2018, 04:23
So will this also see the death of the crew shop if we are going to be taxed on everything we buy in there!
Duty is already included so no need to pay anything extra

Cantbebothered
27th Apr 2018, 13:23
They are doing you a favour...you can save more money and leave faster.