PDA

View Full Version : Eye empathize

Loose rivets
16th Apr 2018, 01:26
I've just posted this on Mark thingie's Farce Book. Touching. To me anyway.

Hmmm . . . as someone that couldn't remember how to spell his first name while waiting for the issue of my Airline Transport Pilot's Licence, I empathise. Have I spelled that right? Heck, I don't know. I feel for him, anyway.

What a story. I'm not so much word blind as not able to visualise the word in my mind's eye. I could read and understand complex aircraft manuals but anything with double ss's or double ll's just did not register correctly. In fact, I couldn't tell if a captain had four bars on his arms - except that it wasn't more or less than four, so I knew it must be four.

A busy flightdeck was like a second home. One needle out of place and I'd know before most of my colleagues, but write a report . . . sheesh.

In the 50's and 60's the British licence was the most sought after in the world and there were a lot of folk from far-flung places that were entering for the exams. It was like a mini-degree, but spelling seemed to be something the examiners just gave up on thanks to a lot of Middle Eastern candidates.

It's probable this lovely guy wouldn't have been able to fluff his way through the exams, but I'll tell you what, I flew with a lot of folk that could spell that had not one minute fraction of his character.

?I was a teacher for 17 years, but I couldn?t read or write? - BBC News (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-43700153)

It has shades of, 'Catch Me if you Can', but heck, I don't know of many well-ish paid jobs I could have had that allowed my level of literacy. I'm a cross between the FSL and folk who make up those passages with the words all misspelled. It's odd though, my fingers on the keyboard seem to know how to spell. Consider each word and I'm in a haze of letter reversal.

ExSp33db1rd
16th Apr 2018, 02:00
but write a report . . . sheesh.

Flight Engineers had to be able to do sums, Co-Pilots had to be able to write, but Captains only needed to know someone who could read.

QED.

Sir Niall Dementia
16th Apr 2018, 09:04
Flight Engineers had to be able to do sums, Co-Pilots had to be able to write, but Captains only needed to know someone who could read.

QED.

And fill in their allowances claims:E:E:E:E