PDA

View Full Version : Right to Left: the Airbus Sidestick

Lufty454
15th Apr 2018, 16:40
Hi all,

Just a quick question for any pilots that have gone from the right to the left-hand seat of an Airbus: how long did it take you to adjust to the left sidestick?

Cheers,

Jaair
15th Apr 2018, 19:15
I've been told it's similar to trying to steer your car wheel with the other hand - very fast to adjust.

Lufty454
15th Apr 2018, 19:38
Perfect - it just feels 'weird' but I guess that'll fade out quickly enough. Thanks!

Black Pudding
16th Apr 2018, 15:10
After a few sim sessions, becomes normal.

I instruct from both seats now and the side stick is the easy bit. The hard bit is remembering the scan flows using a different arm and sitting on another side. Even simple things like which way to rotate the ENG MODE selector for an engine start when sat on an opposite side needs thinking about before doing it as you're doing it with your other hand/arm and the switch is on the other side of you than you're normally used to.

Lufty454
20th Apr 2018, 07:49
I didn't even think of that, to be honest! It's always the simple things...

macdo
20th Apr 2018, 18:55
30 mins to master the stick. About 6 months to find all the other switches with the 'wrong' hand!

Lufty454
20th Apr 2018, 19:03
I just didn't even consider it to be an issue but I can believe it!

Hopefully, it doesn't take too long...

iggy
21st Apr 2018, 01:09
In my current outfit the average is 22 landings for an experienced upgrade to stop smashing the plane on the runway. Sorting out the buttons and not looking to the left hand side for help usually gets fixed during sim training.

Swapping shade brands and flashing a Breitling, that's another dinner...