PDA

View Full Version : Long time acumin

MadsDad
14th Apr 2018, 21:38
Visiting kids and family in the USA and we've been taken on a trip to the West Coast. Somewhere I've wanted to visit for over 50 years. Keep getting odd looks because of the size of the grin on my face. Due to go down to the beach in a bit.

Yeehah!!! (Yep, with 3 exclamation marks). :ok:

meadowrun
14th Apr 2018, 21:44
The Pacific Coast Highway.

(rental of a suitable vehicle may be desirable. Convertible, Corvette, Mustang, Harley are all perfectly fine).

fleigle
14th Apr 2018, 22:11
The Pacific Coast Highway is closed south of Monterey, and about 20 miles north of Hearst Castle (just north of Morro Bay and Cambria), and will be until possibly early autumn.
This is due to a huge landslide that happened about a year ago.
I live just south of Morro Bay and my fave motorbike ride up the coast has gone!!!!
MadsDad, send me a pm and I can give you some hints, if needed.
Cheers.
f

MadsDad
14th Apr 2018, 22:14
Meadowrun. Got hire car, doesn't matter what. Currently in Newport Beach. Due to set off Monday north on Highway 1 to San Luis Ebispo (I heard 1 is blocked north of there), then onto 101, across the Golden Gate bridge, East a bit then south on 395/95 back to Vegas.

My trip from heaven (should get to see Death Valley a d Zabriskie Point as well).

Ascend Charlie
14th Apr 2018, 22:59
Stop in San Fran long enough to have a steak at the Tadich Grill - enjoy!

parabellum
15th Apr 2018, 00:06
If you are not sick of beautiful sea food already then, as well as steak, you can get a great meal down at the various piers, the cable car from the centre of the CBD will get you there.

cavuman1
15th Apr 2018, 00:33
Welcome to the Colonies, MadsDad!

Should you have sufficient flexibility in your schedule, by all means try a side trip to Yosemite. I have been to a war, a rodeo, and a goat f*****g, but the first time I entered that paradisaical valley through the South tunnel entrance, I had to pull the car over and weep for the extraordinary majesty of it all. It was a good long cry - one that made me realize how fortunate we are to exist upon this miracle planet called Earth...

- Ed :ok:

reynoldsno1
15th Apr 2018, 00:45
Joe's Crab Shack, Fisherman's Wharf - what it says on the tin ...
Breakfast on the wharf in Monterey
Stayed at the Narrow Gauge Inn just outside Yosemite c. 30 years ago - still a memorable stay.

India Four Two
15th Apr 2018, 03:52
MD,
I looked up your profile. Two suggestions:

1) Visit the Computer History Museum in Mountain View (http://www.computerhistory.org)

2) If you go to Death Valley, arrange to drive from the Owens Valley to the Panamint Valley on Highway 190. Coming down the hill towards Panamint Springs, stop off and have lunch or a picnic at Father Crowley Lookout (36.3546624 -117.5417333) - marked as the JEDI Transition on the map on this link: https://theaviationist.com/2017/11/17/is-star-wars-canyon-americas-plane-spotting-jewel-at-risk-of-overuse/

With luck, you’ll see some jets coming out of China Lake AWR and flying down “Star Wars Canyon”. It’s like the Mach Loop on steroids. :E

PS Make sure you have lots of water in your vehicle when driving in the desert.

Hokulea
15th Apr 2018, 04:25
MadsDad - you are in for a treat! I have a few suggestions for the Highway 1 part of the trip:

Try stopping at Gladstones for lunch near Santa Monica (it's where Sunset Blvd meets Highway 1). Decent food and a wonderful location right on the beach - complete with the odd movie star from time to time.

Santa Barbara has some great restaurants and neat things to do - a bit expensive though.

No real suggestions for San Luis Obispo but nearby Pismo Beach is a fun little town!

Try and stop in Cambria on Highway 1, it's about halfway between LA and San Francisco. It has the beautiful Moonstone Beach, and the village has some excellent restaurants. Highway 1 is closed a few miles north of there so you will have to head inland from there to 101 to Monterey, but strongly suggest you then travel back down south from Monterey into Big Sur. In my opinion, it's one of the most beautiful places on the planet. Try Nepenthe or the Post Ranch Inn for lunch with a view. The aquarium in Monterey is well worth a visit as well.

Enjoy the trip, it sounds wonderful!

herman the crab
15th Apr 2018, 05:48
Agree with the above.

If you've time a few other suggestions...

- day trip to Santa Catalina Island.
- sunset at Old Tony's on Redondo Beach pier.
- Solvanng (?sp), a Dutch town.
- monarch butterflies just south of Pismo.
- Bixby Bridge, needs detour south because of road closure.
- Carmel by Sea town.
- Cannnery Row in Monterey, if staying there highly recommend The Spindrift Inn with an ocean view room.
-San Francisco cable car (tram) museum.
- Alcatraz Island.

HTC

Hokulea
15th Apr 2018, 06:30
I forgot about Carmel - definitely worth a visit, not just because Clint Eastwood used to be the mayor! I recommend Dametra Cafe for lunch - great food and a wonderful atmosphere - and the town is small enough to walk almost everywhere. Between Carmel and Monterey is 17 Mile Drive which is a beautiful drive, although it costs around $10 for access (I think it's worth it).

If you're interested in wildlife, a few miles north of Cambria is an elephant seal vista point where you see the seals on the beach and there are volunteers to explain what you're seeing. You can literally spend hours there just watching the seals and their behaviour - some of it's quite amusing - and it's free.

sitigeltfel
15th Apr 2018, 07:14
- Solvanng (?sp), a Dutch town.

Solvang...Danish.

It means "sunny field".

The Nr Fairy
15th Apr 2018, 10:34
There's an aviation museum on the way back to Santa Clara from Monterey - https://goo.gl/maps/iryfT2K2MS82

Some different stuff in there, well worth a look if you're passing.

Barksdale Boy
15th Apr 2018, 14:25
I did it, a long-held ambition, in 2009. A wonderful experience. Big Sur was a highlight.

chevvron
15th Apr 2018, 15:49
Mrs C said let's try a few days in LA.
I booked a hotel almost at random in the days when Thomson (remember them) did Citybreaks.
It was called The Roosevelt; little other detail about it in the brochure.
Wasn't until I got the AA City Guide that I discovered it's on Hollwood Blvd, right opposite the Chinese Theatre. First morning we got there we wandered across the road to see it; a guy came up to us and asked if we would like to go and see a 'live' TV show being taped. OK report to Paramount TV studios at 2.30pm. We did just that and this was only the first day.
Subsequently went to the Wells Fargo Museum in downtown and did a Beverley Hills minibus trip and also went to Universal Studios and various small museums like the Hollywood Studio Museum, Hollywood Bowl, Hollywood Entertainment Museum etc.
The Roosevelt Hotel was the venue for the first ever Acadamy Awards ceremony and contains a museum on the mezzanine with various bits of film memorabilia.

goudie
15th Apr 2018, 18:17
Did the drive some 15 years ago, amazing experience. Carmel, the ‘17 mile drive’ and the maritime centre in Monterey, were highlights among many other delights, mentioned here.

Gordy
15th Apr 2018, 20:23
Agree with the above.

If you've time a few other suggestions...

- day trip to Santa Catalina Island.

I second this----take IEX helicopters---you might even fly with me.....:eek::eek:

vapilot2004
16th Apr 2018, 00:46
Things to do - The Queen Mary is in Long Beach if you fancy a visit to the old gal. Another favorite for the VAP family that could be a stop along your way out of town - The Reel Inn in Malibu at Topanga Canyon - great prices on excellent, fresh seafood and a low-key locals hangout. Or if you prefer pier side dining with the tourist crowd, there's always Duke's on the iconic Malibu Pier. We were there a couple of months ago and by chance met the real life Gidget. Happy Motoring!

Highway 1 mudslide will be one year old come 20 May. This is what 8 million cubic yards of dirt and rocks looks like from the air:
http://i68.tinypic.com/mwekol.jpg

meadowrun
16th Apr 2018, 05:25
That is a tough one.
Sparse vegetation, little rainfall, forest fires , lots of rainfall = moving hills.
A couple of well placed cruise missiles would clear it ready for the next slide waiting in the wings. Well, maybe 10 or 12.

herman the crab
16th Apr 2018, 05:27
Solvang...Danish.

It means "sunny field".

Thank you!

Posted after a 15 hr day and a couple of rum...

HTC

herman the crab
16th Apr 2018, 05:29
I second this----take IEX helicopters---you might even fly with me.....:eek::eek:

Wave at me next time you buzz us on the way to Avalon ;)

HTC

vapilot2004
16th Apr 2018, 08:50
That is a tough one.
Sparse vegetation, little rainfall, forest fires , lots of rainfall = moving hills.
A couple of well placed cruise missiles would clear it ready for the next slide waiting in the wings. Well, maybe 10 or 12.

The scale is massive. The repair efforts include taking precision measurements to monitor any shifting of the hillside both above the new road and below. Geologists have been part of the engineering crew.

goudie
16th Apr 2018, 12:50
Driving round the curving road road and being confronted with Bixby Bridge was a breathtaking experience. A real feat of engineering, considering the landscape.

Gordy
16th Apr 2018, 14:06
Wave at me next time you buzz us on the way to Avalon ;)

HTC

You sail across...? I keep a sailboat in Shoreline Marina.....

Headed to fly the Island right now.....

IBMJunkman
16th Apr 2018, 14:48
I 2nd the idea of visiting the Computer History Museum in Mountain View. I contribute enough to get my name on the wall. :)

The Revolution exhibit is very interesting.

Revolution: The First 2000 Years of Computing | Computer History Museum (http://www.computerhistory.org/exhibits/revolution/)

They have 2 working IBM 1401 Systems. Demo on Wednesday 15:00 and Saturday 11:00.

http://www.computerhistory.org/exhibits/ibm1401/

herman the crab
16th Apr 2018, 20:19
You sail across...? I keep a sailboat in Shoreline Marina.....

Headed to fly the Island right now.....

No, I work for the other 'Express' transportation.

HTC

vapilot2004
16th Apr 2018, 22:11
Driving round the curving road road and being confronted with Bixby Bridge was a breathtaking experience. A real feat of engineering, considering the landscape.

And the time - 1932. The bridge was built at a cost of a mere $200K, the equivalent of $3.4 million US today. In 1996, a project to retrofit the bridge for seismic compliance cost $20 mil.

The bridge eliminated the additional 11 mile journey, impassable in winter, on what is now known as the Old Coast Highway, a dirt road described by a former librarian of the region as having been laid out in a replication of the engineer's signature, because of its sinewy nature.

There is some kind of magical energy that exists in the region - my own family and natives of the area often attribute it to the meeting of mountainous terrain and the vast expanse of the Pacific ocean. Radio waves are practically nonexistent with no cellular phone service. It's a great place to truly "get lost". Margaret Wentworth Owings, perhaps, a friend of John Muir and Rachel Carson, and founder of the Otter Wildlife Reserve, puts it best:

There’s something about Big Sur that puts people in their place. Something they have to come back to, because it does something to you. And it gives you a responsibility to keep it like this.

ExSp33db1rd
16th Apr 2018, 23:52
day trip to Santa Catalina Island.

I second this----take IEX helicopters---you might even fly with me..

Agree, Been There, Done That, fly around at 1,000 agl ( actually asl ) then climb up to the 1,400 ft threshold ! Stop before you fall off the far end! Such fun.

Very jealous, did it reverse, i.e. San Fran. to Long Beach in 1956. ( after driving across from Detroit, but that's another story.)

Just read that Lefty O'Douls bar, just off Union Sq. in San Fran. has closed, you've missed that, but Earthquake McGoons jazz club may still be there ?

Gordy
17th Apr 2018, 01:09
No, I work for the other 'Express' transportation.

HTC

Aha.....Who knew.

I am the one who flies lower than the rest, typically 200 feet. I am not here full time as I run a company up North doing fires and power lines. I am the owners "insurance policy" to fly when we are short staffed.

I saw you guys tried one more trip last Thursday to the island mid-afternoon and turned back....I cancelled the remainder of my day----the wind and seas were nasty.....

Hokulea
17th Apr 2018, 10:55
vapilot - completely agree. I'm not a spiritual person but I keep going back to Big Sur whenever I can. I'm not sure why, probably its beauty, but there's a special feeling there being up on the cliffs with the mountains behind and the ocean in front of you and all you hear is the wind. It is a magical place.

Barksdale Boy
17th Apr 2018, 13:30
Good to know others appreciate Big Sur. I would also recommend a harbour tour in San Diego - so much naval power in one place. Also do enjoy sunset drinks and dinner in Poseidon at Del Mar - as good in 2009 as it was on a weekend away from Red Flag in 1979.

herman the crab
17th Apr 2018, 16:25
Aha.....Who knew.

I am the one who flies lower than the rest, typically 200 feet. I am not here full time as I run a company up North doing fires and power lines. I am the owners "insurance policy" to fly when we are short staffed.

I saw you guys tried one more trip last Thursday to the island mid-afternoon and turned back....I cancelled the remainder of my day----the wind and seas were nasty.....

Yep, I made one of the 3 trips we managed and got to go home 3 hours early. I didn't think it as the bad - although based on where I used to work I am amazed by what they consider 'rough' here.

HTC

n5296s
17th Apr 2018, 18:52
It's possible now to drive the best bits of Big Sur, but a bit of an adventure. There's a road called the Naciamento Highway (they were kidding when they added Highway) which will take you from King City on 101 through a National Guard training centre/center then over the mountains to Route 1, from where you can turn right and see all the best bits before ending up in Carmel.

You will need your passports and up-to-date registration papers for the car, because the military check those. It is a truly spectacular road and worth driving in its own right. It descends 3000' in what seems like about one mile.

One thing you'll quickly discover in the US in general is that there are aviation museums everywhere. Some are fantastic, others are half a dozen tired, unflyable warbirds sitting in a corner of a hangar. There's a nice one at Santa Maria, on 101.

Hokulea
18th Apr 2018, 06:47
Thanks, n5296s, I "drove" that road via google maps just now - looks wonderful and will try it next time I'm there later this year. Doesn't look like a good place to have brake failure though...

vapilot2004
18th Apr 2018, 08:03
Lots of tight turns and not a road to drive at night for the first time. We knew a local boy that didn't make it home one night.

Now, the Old Coast Highway with a high clearance vehicle is a bit of a rough bounce up and down around some switchbacks and through the middle of a farmer's field that paid for miles upon miles of stainless steel fencing. Often closed to the public during periods of rain there are a few creeks and lots of redwoods. It's one way - south.

Hokulea, good on you, man! That's nice to hear. :ok:
Hawaii has some magic of its very own. Plenty of folks from around the Central Coast are connected to Hawaii - in many ways, going back to the sugar plantations and early pineapple farms.

Hokulea
18th Apr 2018, 09:27
Thanks, vapilot. The Road to Hana and "highway" 30/340 (Kahekilli Hwy) on Maui compare to the Big Sur for beauty but can be as scary as hell, especially when you meet a school bus on one of the one-lane switchbacks. You know you are the one that has to reverse on a narrow road with a rather nasty drop a foot away from you!

The first time I visited the Central/North CA, Oregon and Washington coast some years ago was preceded by lots of conversations with people in Hawaii about the best places to visit. An awful lot of people have retired on my island (Big Island) that used to live there. I'm thinking of doing the reverse and retiring somewhere on the west coast! Yachats has caught my interest but also like the idea of living in Cambria.