PDA

View Full Version : Converting ICAO to FAA

greenmz
13th Apr 2018, 15:16
Hello,

I'm a 25 year old pilot from the Netherlands. I was wondering if it is a viable option to convert my Swedish Frozen ATPL licence to an FAA licence.
would this allow me to get a ATPL job in the United States and if so how would I best start this process?
I have no hours except those from my flight training.

Thank you in advance!

MarkerInbound
13th Apr 2018, 23:12
So in FAA speak you hold a commercial license and have passed your ATP exams. Congratulations, the FAA will issue you a private certificate limited to VFR. To get anything higher you would have to do the same thing a native born American would have to do, pass writtens and pass checkrides. To get an ATP level job in the US you will need 1500 hours. None of that will get you a job without a US passport or a "green card."

careerSO
20th Apr 2018, 10:32
I keep hearing rumours about a possible EASA-FAA ATPL/ATP straight conversion coming in the future. Does anyone have anymore concrete information on this?

havick
20th Apr 2018, 14:45
I keep hearing rumours about a possible EASA-FAA ATPL/ATP straight conversion coming in the future. Does anyone have anymore concrete information on this?

This already exists and has existed for many years for any ICAO ATP/ATPL so long as you have a valid license and instrument rating and meet the FAA aeronautical experience for the ATP which is in part 61. Have you bothered to read the regs yet?

MarkerInbound
20th Apr 2018, 17:53
When the FAA announced their agreement with Transport Canada in 2006 they said there may be more licensing BASAs in the future. Nothing has happened since then.

As havick points out, if you hold a commercial with an IR and have 1500 hours or if you hold a foreign ATP you can get a FAA ATP by completing the ATP CTP course (if you want a ME ATP), passing the written and passing a checkride. Same path an American pilot with 1500 hours and a commercial +IR would take.

careerSO
21st Apr 2018, 05:33
Yes, but the rumour I keep hearing is that in the future they’ll be no requirement to do another skills test and the CTP course. So for EASA to FAA you’d just need to the ATP written. This already exists and has existed for many years for any ICAO ATP/ATPL so long as you have a valid license and instrument rating and meet the FAA aeronautical experience for the ATP which is in part 61. Have you bothered to read the regs yet?

havick
21st Apr 2018, 10:38
Yes, but the rumour I keep hearing is that in the future they’ll be no requirement to do another skills test and the CTP course. So for EASA to FAA you’d just need to the ATP written.

Where are you hearing this? There’s been absolutely zero mention of this anywhere from the FAA

bafanguy
21st Apr 2018, 12:11
Where are you hearing this? There’s been absolutely zero mention of this anywhere from the FAA

havick,

I got the impression from cSO's post that he meant a process rumored to be something akin to the TCCA-FAA thing: shuffle some paperwork, take a written and pay some money and BINGO !!! an FAA ATP.

Nothing would surprise me these days. I've asked my FAA buddy if he's heard anything but I doubt he will have.

There are always such rumors but it'd be nice if people would give the source of their info (unless it was given in confidence).

careerSO
21st Apr 2018, 16:11
Sorry guys, i’ve just heard this rumour from multiple sources flying the line. I couldn’t find anything about it searching on google so I was putting it out there to find out if anyone had more concrete information.

MarkerInbound
21st Apr 2018, 18:35
Canadian pilots wanting to take the ACM written test still have to complete the ATP CTP course. That and getting a FAA medical are the only costs involved if you go through a FSDO.

avoka
13th May 2018, 09:39
Hello guys!!!
There is one question to people who really knows situation or may be have passed via the same way!
I have one ICAO ATPL A-320TR and more than 4.5к hours.I can't to convert it to FAA ATP because I resently received the letter from FAA that my country didn't reply for FAA request to confirm license verification letter.
Also I have CPL/ME/IR another ICAO country which is able to confirm to FAA my license!
The question is here: Have I got any chance after confirmation my CPL,getting the ATP-CTP course and presentation my current ATPL with A-320 TR to receive FAA ATP A-320TR??????
Safe flights

MarkerInbound
13th May 2018, 12:21
You cold use your second country's COMM/IR to meet the FAA requirement to hold a COMM/IR before getting the ATP. You would then have to complete the ATP CTP, pass the ATM written test, complete a classroom and flight training program for the 320 and pass a 320 type rating checkride to get the FAA ATP with a 320 type.

zondaracer
13th May 2018, 14:53
The FAA will only add the A320 type rating from a foreign certificate for VFR only, so it’s basically useless. Even if your country replied with the verification, you would still have to go to a course for the A320 type rating to be placed on your FAA certificate.

MarkerInbound
13th May 2018, 18:13
Yes, you could shuffle paper to get a 61.75 private VFR ONLY with the 320 type. And then pass the FAA IR written and checkride to have "US TEST PASSED added to the 61.75 certificate. Then if you completed the ATP CTP, passed the ATM written and passed an ATP ME checkride AND IF you can show your training for your foreign 320 TR was conducted by FAA authorized instructors you could get the 320 type added to your ATP. I've never heard of anyone who could document the status of their foreign instructors.

avoka
14th May 2018, 12:28
MarkerInb and zondarec-Thanks guys a lot!!!
I sent some PMs for both
Please check it!
----
Safe flights

dynamite dean
14th May 2018, 17:55
Well, I have new found respect for the FAA licensing sort of , its a lot of hoops - a lot , I did my SA ATPL big deal, then the EASA big deal, FAA not so big deal? Hmmm...I required a ATP check ride on my Jet type based on a foreign license verification..Think that's straight forward. It is not. As the company was paying for most of it, I couldn't possibly afford to do it how I will outline it below. Not to mention the time involved from submitting the first TSA application to walking out with what I needed was almost 10 weeks. The FAA have really made it quite awkward to get this these days.

1a. Submit TSA (for the CAE in Dallas (in my case) a 1 week long ATPL ground school course, it, it is a one full week sun - sun classroom based.
1b. Within that week 10 hours on a jet sim mine was a 737-800 whatever they give you, enjoyed it, ''constructive play'' no test.
1c. Then pass the 120 question multiple choice exam at one of the designated testing offices - ONLY int he US. they closed Farnborough at FSI for it. I spent 6 weeks doing the online stuff you can get and doing 1500 questions I did.
1d. License Verification from your relevant CAA to FAA small fee, 2 months of waiting in my case - this what held it up a little bit.

2a . If you have not some prior experience (100hrs) on type to have the ATPL ''check ride'' it has to be in the last 18 months - mine was 20!!! I had to do another recurrent on that type (33,000USD)
2b. submit another TSA for the EASA recurrent

3. Submit TSA for FAA 61.58 prior exp course, thats an identical recurrent (1 week) in the sim doing all the pre requisites for the 5.5 hr check ride ( i was with my buddy) and then the 1-2 hour oral exam.

So all in all, anyone that says its just micky mouse I have a tendancy to disagree. Its a process, requiring patience, a bit of study and lots of money in my case.

Thats just my experience of having just done it a year ago for a UK EASA - FAA ATPL with prior experience. Thats said coming from SA ATPL doing 15 exams and 1500hrs years ago, then to goto the EASA and do 14 more exams and 25hrs flight training and a year off, Im slightly jaded by it all. However stick at it if thats what you want to do. DD

avoka
15th May 2018, 22:27
MarkerInbound
Please check Your PM again
Thanks
safe flights

777-200LR
22nd May 2018, 01:59
Dynamite Dean,

Did you by-pass the FAA CPL? Basically you went from FAA PPL (based on your foreign lisense) to doing the ATP-CTP course and sat the ATM and then check ride?

ph-sbe
22nd May 2018, 17:40
So in FAA speak you hold a commercial license and have passed your ATP exams. Congratulations, the FAA will issue you a private certificate limited to VFR. To get anything higher you would have to do the same thing a native born American would have to do, pass writtens and pass checkrides. To get an ATP level job in the US you will need 1500 hours.

With the exception that flight time abroad will count to satisfy FAA minimums. In other words: to convert a foreign-based PPL to a "standalone" FAA PPL, he would only need to take the written and pass the checkride. Subsequently he can use his foreign IFR time to pass the IFR / CPL written and take those checkrides as well.

None of that will get you a job without a US passport or a "green card."

Or a visa, which depending on the circumstances can be easy to get. Realistically, there are only two visa which are applicable in this case: H1-B or L-1. The L-1 requires a pilot to be an employee of the company already, few people will meet that requirement. H-1Bs are limited, and filing season is over. The first available H1-B will have a start date of October 2020.

That said, the wait time for a green card is actually really low, depending on country of origin. It can therefore be quicker to just apply for a green card: that whole process can be done in less than a year.

Can it be done: yes. Will any US airline with a year while a prospect hire gets his visa and licenses in order? Probably not. But then again, who would have thought 20 years ago that pilots would pay to fly?

havick
22nd May 2018, 19:10
With the exception that flight time abroad will count to satisfy FAA minimums. In other words: to convert a foreign-based PPL to a "standalone" FAA PPL, he would only need to take the written and pass the checkride. Subsequently he can use his foreign IFR time to pass the IFR / CPL written and take those checkrides as well.

Or a visa, which depending on the circumstances can be easy to get. Realistically, there are only two visa which are applicable in this case: H1-B or L-1. The L-1 requires a pilot to be an employee of the company already, few people will meet that requirement. H-1Bs are limited, and filing season is over. The first available H1-B will have a start date of October 2020.

That said, the wait time for a green card is actually really low, depending on country of origin. It can therefore be quicker to just apply for a green card: that whole process can be done in less than a year.

Can it be done: yes. Will any US airline with a year while a prospect hire gets his visa and licenses in order? Probably not. But then again, who would have thought 20 years ago that pilots would pay to fly?

took me 6 months from filing to green card in hand (Australia).

B733_B777
18th Jun 2018, 13:52
hello
I am converting my caa ATPL into faa ATPL . I have done with my atp ctp and exam . I am looking for a sim partner for b777 . I am planning to do it in panam flight academy in Miami next month . It ll cost u around 8000 US dollars. If anyone interested please contact me .
Thank u

gika737
9th May 2019, 22:06
I am an FAA CPL + ME holder. After completion of the training I went back home and I converted my license. So now I have Georgian ICAO license as well. One year later I got hired by a company and I got type rated on the Boeing 737 NG (+ basic training) in Vilnius, Lithuania. Now I have my 200 training hours, the B737 sim time and just a few hours flown on the airplane.
I would like to have the B737 type rating in the FAA license as well. So could You please tell me the easiest way to get it done.
I greatly appreciate your help!

aviator35
10th May 2019, 14:05
Hello

I am also interested in converting my license to FAA ATP.

I have a green card. I am eligible to work in the USA

I know all the procedure what should I follow but I want to avoid paying 12-14K for the conversion. Most of the regionals provide free ATP/CTP course and type rating so that an FAA CPL holder pays nothing for the process. I am actually in the same position as them. I have 2500 hours Boeing 737 flying experience. I think I can be a good match for the regionals.

Do you know any company guys which can help me with my case? I tried to apply some regionals but they declined my application.

Thank you.

MarkerInbound
10th May 2019, 16:36
There is no direct transfer of type ratings to FAA certificates unless it is from a Canadian license or you are doing the 61.75 private "based on" certificate. You will have to complete a FAA part 142 training center's ground school and simulator program. How long the training program is (and how much it costs) depends on how the training center counts your experience to meet their requirements.

JMC23
13th Aug 2019, 19:38
What happens if you don’t have a current IR and are wanting to do the ATP-CTP training? Does the simulator component/check ride get you an FAA IR?

MarkerInbound
14th Aug 2019, 00:32
The 10 hours of ATP-CTP simulator time are just to reinforce the ideas covered in the classroom. There's 4 hours of intro to FMS, low vis taxiing, upset recovery and stall training. It's not a checkride and does not get you anything except the qualification to take the ATM written test.

MD83FO
14th Aug 2019, 00:50
Hello guys, I have an FAA Commercial MEL licence, and ICAO ATP with 4000 hours PIC on A320, can you please recommend the chipest was to get my full FAA ATP?

true_pilot
16th Aug 2019, 08:47
MD83FO, the way is the same, as if you didn’t have FAA CPL ME.
You should pass ATP-CPT, ATP M written, then pass your ATP check-ride. Check-ride could be either on little twin, or on A320 but on the last you will have to pass Reduced TR.

Best regards,
Iurii

MarkerInbound
17th Aug 2019, 11:50
Iurii is correct. The other way to look at it is that it is the same procedure as if you did not have your ICAO ATP. Complete the CTP class, pass the written test and pass the checkride. There is no short cut to a FAA ATP.

bafanguy
7th Sep 2019, 17:20
Not sure how much help this would be. There's a lot of stuff in it. It may create more questions than it answers:

Section 14 Issue a Part 61 U.S. Pilot Certificate on the Basis of a Foreign Pilot License

FSIMS Document Viewer (http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.5,Ch2,Sec14)

pilotchute
7th Sep 2019, 19:46
Here is a good one.

I did an FAA type rating on the A320 at Pan Am Florida in 2014. I didn't have an FAA certificate at the time as I was only licensed in Australia. Australia accept FAA ratings so its on my Australian certificate.

I now have an FAA ATP and am looking for a way to get the 320 put on the FAA certificate. Thr FSDO keeps telling me they dont convert foreign type ratings and I almost lose my cool telling them the rating was done in a US certified simulator by an FAA instructor in the USA.

Help please

bafanguy
7th Sep 2019, 20:08
I now have an FAA ATP and am looking for a way to get the 320 put on the FAA certificate. Thr FSDO keeps telling me they dont convert foreign type ratings and I almost lose my cool telling them the rating was done in a US certified simulator by an FAA instructor in the USA.

Help please

'chute,

This stuff is just one rabbit hole after another ! And you can get a different answer depending on which FSDO; these folks do make mistakes. This below is the only thing I can find from the link I posted up in #30. And I suspect the term "rating" is more for something like IR or MEL rather than type rating...but who knows. MarkerInbound seems very knowledgeable about this stuff. Maybe he'll read your request and chime in:

5-597 U.S. PILOT CERTIFICATES THAT MAY BE ISSUED TO A PERSON WHO HOLDS A FOREIGN PILOT LICENSE.

I. Added Ratings to a U.S. Pilot Certificate. If a person requests that a rating be added to his or her U.S. pilot certificate on the basis of meeting the appropriate pilot certification requirements of part 61 (i.e., the practical test and the knowledge test, if applicable), those requirements must be accomplished before the issuance of that additional rating. However, if the person requests the added rating on the basis of that rating having been added to his or her foreign pilot license, no knowledge test or practical test is required. The authenticity of the foreign license must be verified before adding the appropriate rating.

zondaracer
7th Sep 2019, 20:11
Pilotchute, unfortunately the FSDO is correct. The DPE/ADP/inspector that issued your ATP would have had to issue the A320 type rating at that time and certified that you completed the type rating course under part 142 (or part 121 or 135 where applicable). If you did not do a part 142 course for the type rating, and only did a course for the ATP, despite the fact that you did it in an A320 simulator, you cannot have the A320 type rating added. The FAA does not convert type ratings and you need to do the full course and have it certified as such.

zondaracer
7th Sep 2019, 20:15
The addition of a type rating based on a foreign type rating is possible as outlined by bafanguy, but only valid for VMC only. Also, this would be added to a 61.75 certificate. Since you have an ATP certificate issued under 61.153, it would not apply.

pilotchute
7th Sep 2019, 20:35
Zondaracer,
I did do a full FAA approved training course and type ride for the 320 at a part 142 school (Pan Am).

The company check airman for my US Regional that just did my FAA ATP with 145 check ride didnt add 320 to paperwork because he didnt do the training.

The FSDO is saying its a foreign type rating because its on my foreign pilot certificate.

I show them the training records from Pan Am and they get really confused and just keep saying its on my foreign certificate and they dont convert.

zondaracer
7th Sep 2019, 21:01
Zondaracer,
I did do a full FAA approved training course and type ride for the 320 at a part 142 school (Pan Am).

The company check airman for my US Regional that just did my FAA ATP with 145 check ride didnt add 320 to paperwork because he didnt do the training.

The FSDO is saying its a foreign type rating because its on my foreign pilot certificate.

I show them the training records from Pan Am and they get really confused and just keep saying its on my foreign certificate and they dont convert.

Why wasn’t the type rating added at PanAm when you completed the course?

bafanguy
7th Sep 2019, 21:26
I did an FAA type rating on the A320 at Pan Am Florida in 2014. I didn't have an FAA certificate at the time as I was only licensed in Australia. Australia accept FAA ratings so its on my Australian certificate.

So, the Pan Am examiner was authorized to add the type rating directly to a CASA license ? Or did you have to send some US paperwork to CASA to get the rating put on your Aussie license ?

And Australia accepts FAA type ratings but FAA doesn't accept CASA type ratings ? That's...awkward. :=

pilotchute
7th Sep 2019, 22:55
I have just been informed that because I didnt have an FAA pilot cert of any kind when I did the 320 type ride its like it never happened.

Funnily enough Pan Am have just told me if I book in for a proficiency check they will add the type to my certificate!!
And yes Australia recognizes FAA training for type rating purposes.

havick
7th Sep 2019, 23:11
I have just been informed that because I didnt have an FAA pilot cert of any kind when I did the 320 type ride its like it never happened.

Funnily enough Pan Am have just told me if I book in for a proficiency check they will add the type to my certificate!!
And yes Australia recognizes FAA training for type rating purposes.

thats sort of true. CASA only accepts faa type ratings depending on the sim itself, what approvals the training organization has and then what casa themselves approve etc. there’s a lot more too it than you think on that front.

im assuming the reason you didn’t do your FAA ATP license at pan am at the time was the fact you either didn’t meet FAA ATP mins or hadn’t completed the ATP-CTP course (token but expensive) and the ATP written. Otherwise you could have done your FAA ATP flight test at the same time as your A320 type ride and CASA type ride, but that’s 20/20 hindsight.

pilotchute
8th Sep 2019, 01:56
Yes unfortunately I was a bit short on night hours at the time (only 50).

Was worth a try.

Thanks everyone

MarkerInbound
8th Sep 2019, 05:43
Someone called?

A bit above the section bafan referenced is this -

4) Type Rating. When a type rating is shown on the U.S. pilot certificate (meaning a U.S. pilot certificate that was issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license), that aircraft type rating will be limited to “VFR ONLY” if the person has not passed either the IFP knowledge test or the standard instrument rating knowledge test and the standard instrument rating practical test. Applicants who apply for a type rating with the notation “U.S. TEST PASSED” on their U.S. pilot certificate must have received the required training from a holder of an FAA flight instructor certificate with the appropriate ratings. If the aircraft type rating is for an aircraft with a gross takeoff weight of greater than 12,500 pounds, the applicant must also complete a background security check administered by the TSA. The reporting requirements of the TSA’s background check is on its Web site. Once the applicant has qualified for the “U.S. TEST PASSED” rating on a U.S. pilot certificate under 61.75, the aircraft rating and/or type rating annotated with the notation “U.S. TEST PASSED” is eligible for transfer to an unrestricted U.S. pilot certificate without any further showing of competency or practical test if the applicant later obtains an unrestricted U.S. pilot certificate.

So the only way to do a real transfer of a foreign type is to get the 61.75 "based on certificate" and pass the regular IR written or the Foreign Pilot IR written. You would then have to show that your type rating training was conducted by FAA approved instructors. Pilotchute is the first person I've heard of who might have been to do this. Unfortunately you can't go back and get a 61.75 cert after you get a regular FAA pilot certificate.

rudestuff
8th Sep 2019, 09:23
Here is a good one.

Help please

Are you current on the 320? If so you can get it put on your FAA ATP

pilotchute
8th Sep 2019, 15:50
I am not unfortunately.

rudestuff
8th Sep 2019, 16:56
To be fair you don't need the type rating on your FAA certificate. It won't help you get hired - If you get offered a job they'll train you to fly want you to fly anyway. It's the hours in the logbook that will help with that.

pilotchute
8th Sep 2019, 22:49
That is one thing like very much about the US aviation industry. Its about your skills not if you have experience on a specific type.

Because the rest of the world is almost allergic to spending anything on training they want you typed and current on day one of groundschool.