PDA

View Full Version : Shortened Christian name on flight ticket- any issues?

LTNman
13th Apr 2018, 14:33
I logged into my easyjet account where I let it auto fill in my details on a UK domestic flight booking. The issue is that my log in credentials uses my shortened Christian name so the last three characters of my name from my passport are missing on my boarding card, which will be used as identification.

Seeing this is a domestic flight will it be an issue?

rog747
14th Apr 2018, 09:47
seems you might ---- why not just get it corrected and save yourself any stress

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-man-denied-travel-british-1448304

or keep your gob shut as most of the time the b/passes are just tapped on the reader

Basil
14th Apr 2018, 09:50
Don't know but, since, for international flights, the name should appear as on the passport, I'd have entered the full Christian name manually just in case of a problem at check-in.

p.s. That story posted by rog747 is a fine example of what can happen and reinforces my point.But out of habit Charlotte put the shortened version of her husband’s name down on the booking form rather than the name on his passport – Nicholas.

edi_local
14th Apr 2018, 17:42
A few airlines allow up to 3 letters difference between your passport and booked name as a gesture towards genuine spelling mistakes. No idea if easyJet is one of those carriers mind you.

Edit: Just seen it's a UK domestic flight. They may not even check your ID if you don't have a bag to check in.

jimjim1
15th Apr 2018, 10:48
Edit: Just seen it's a UK domestic flight. They may not even check your ID if you don't have a bag to check in.

Travel documents and information | easyJet (http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/boarding-and-flying/travel-documents-and-information)
Photographic ID is required on all domestic flights

I seem to recall that Ryanair require passports for all flights.

jimjim1
15th Apr 2018, 10:57
Managing your booking | easyJet (http://www.easyjet.com/en/help/booking-and-check-in/managing-your-booking)

Through Manage Bookings you can:

Change names and spelling mistakes

You can correct spelling mistakes and title changes free of charge.

LTNman
15th Apr 2018, 15:47
I will pop into the terminal tomorrow and see if I can get the person on the easyjet desk to do some magic. :O

22/04
15th Apr 2018, 19:13
Not an issue with VS - have been Phil for years - only my mother and my passport call me Phlip

pax britanica
15th Apr 2018, 19:29
I had a recent issue where for some reason my daughters full name appeared on the baording pass missing off the last four letters of her surname as there is a limit on charatcers. (We are not Thai or Sri Lankan and dont have mile long names, )

I was very concerned about this but spoke to AA customer services who said it is common and the full name is encoded in the BP but not all printed out.

So shouldnt be a problem but definitely check with the airline

artschool
15th Apr 2018, 19:32
I had this with SAA 2 years ago. they made me purchase a full price ticket at check in or no flight.

took a year of email writing to get a refund.

LTNman
16th Apr 2018, 05:01
Reading the links provided passengers can log in and change or add up to 3 characters themselves for free but as I booked car hire at the same time the website won’t let me do it.

Back to plan B to see if someone on the easyjet desk in the terminal will do it for me today as the flight is not until September.

TLDNMCL
16th Apr 2018, 12:29
This kind of thinking baffles me; if you want a potential delay or conflict - carry on, otherwise why not just maintain continuity of information and save yourself (and several others) unnecessary hassle?

LTNman
16th Apr 2018, 13:50
It was all about whether I needed to take any action on a domestic flight for 3 missing letters. First thought was no it will be alright, then it was it should be alright, then it was I hope it will be alright.

Anyway I popped into see the young lady on the desk in the terminal. Luckily I had a credit card with my shortened name, plus my passport. Took all of 30 seconds, job done at no charge. :ok: Not sure what would have happened if I didn't have a short name credit card.

rog747
16th Apr 2018, 13:51
It was all about whether I needed to take any action on a domestic flight for 3 missing letters. First thought was no it will be alright, then it was it should be alright, then it was I hope it will be alright.

Anyway I popped into see the young lady on the desk in the terminal. Luckily I had a credit card with my shortened name, plus my passport. Took all of 30 seconds, job done at no charge. :ok:

great stuff!

PAXboy
16th Apr 2018, 15:12
I agree that its best to sort it out. Nowadays, the folks in 'security' and at the front desk and at the gate are well aware that any slip ups will fall to them personally. As their mgmt dies not show much/any leniancy - nor can they.

RAT 5
16th Apr 2018, 16:43
Just a slight drift, now that the original problem has been solved.

My local legacy carrier, when booking, asks for my wife's name as it appears in the passport. She has a middle name, in her passport, but for booking a ticket and boarding card data it is removed. Go figure.