PDA

View Full Version : You know it's horsecrock you're shovelling when you need to explain it

NutLoose
13th Apr 2018, 11:51
https://www.rafmuseumshop.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/image/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/r/a/raf100_roundel_window_sticker3.jpg

And do they qualify

Transform magazine: RAF celebrates centenary with new brand campaign - 2018 - Articles (http://www.transformmagazine.net/articles/2018/raf-celebrates-centenary-with-new-brand-campaign/)

Just over a century ago, on 1 April 1918, the Royal Air Force (RAF) was launched to serve Britain and its territories from the air. To coincide with this historic milestone, the RAF has launched a new brand campaign created by brand design agency Coley Porter Bell. Employing a flexible visual identity designed with cross-generational appeal, the new identity will be used until September 2018.

Led by Coley Porter Bell’s unique ‘visual planning’ methodology, the updated branding and assets for the RAF centenary are inspired by both military heritage and the need for flexible future-focused visuals. Although the classic and iconic RAF roundel is still core to the overall brand identity, its application alongside more contemporary marketing collateral shows that Coley Porter Bell has adapted the design to be applicable in a digital age.
For air commodore Nigel Bradshaw, head of media and communications at the Royal Air Force, Coley Porter Bell has perfectly understood the purpose of the RAF – translating it into a branding project. “Not only has [the agency] managed to encapsulate the past 100 years in this campaign, but it has brought to life the innovative and exciting essence of the Royal Air Force,” explains Bradshaw.
“This is a momentous year for us and I am confident that this fresh, new campaign identity will ensure that we commemorate our past, celebrate who we are and what we do today, and inspire the next generation.”
In its unique approach to branding, Coley Porter Bell also successfully merges science and design. Combining findings taken from neuroscience-oriented research with a heritage-led creative approach, the RAF spirit of persistence and triumph in the face of adversity remains front and centre of the brand campaign. Using photography, notions of pride strengthened through 100 years of service runs throughout the brand assets.
For the RAF, fostering this connection with a new generation of British citizens is paramount to cementing the brand’s legacy – as well as future communications.
Vicky Bullen, CEO at Coley Porter Bell, says, “We were delighted and very proud to work with the RAF to develop a campaign to celebrate their 100th anniversary. The RAF has, of course, played a key role in this country's past, however what excited us was its vision for and role in the future. We hope our campaign helps people to understand the innovative and exciting nature of the work they do as it heads into its next one hundred years.”
During a pivotal time for the armed forces regarding recruitment, retention and reputation, delivering a succinct brand project could help reinforce potentially forgotten connections between the air fleet and Britain's history. For the RAF, a century of service is duly marked with a brand campaign that puts the organisation’s values at front and centre.

sangiovese.
13th Apr 2018, 11:59
All I can see is Pacman...is he a veteran?

dragartist
13th Apr 2018, 12:00
Sorry Nutty, I must be as thick as pig s#1t cos I still don’t get it.
Is it a new logo for some mountain rescue club?

Pontius Navigator
13th Apr 2018, 12:01
Nutty, are you trying to subvert the CapComp?

reds & greens
13th Apr 2018, 12:08
WTF ?
Alternatively, seen on a T-shirt on the local market this week:
"On the eigth day, God created the RAF, because sometimes even the Army needs heroes..."

son of brommers
13th Apr 2018, 12:22
Looks like that drew their "inspiration from the Conglese
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/22/Roundel_of_the_Congolese_Air_Force.svg/600px-Roundel_of_the_Congolese_Air_Force.svg.png
and the Palestinians
https://orig00.deviantart.net/7b4b/f/2013/051/1/0/roundel_of_a_palestinian_air_force_by_kyuzoaoi-d5vmjer.png
Although to be fair, both of the above may have a brighter future if the RAF pour more money down the drain with such utter nonsense.

Out Of Trim
13th Apr 2018, 12:25
What a load of Bollocks...

I would put up a traditional Roundel but never that thing! Count me out of this so called new embracing clap trap.

I'm Appalled that anyone from the RAF would have anything to do with this retarded Rubbish!

Herod
13th Apr 2018, 12:35
has perfectly understood the purpose of the RAF – translating it into a branding project.

And there was me thinking its purpose was the Defence of the Realm and democracy.

DANbudgieman
13th Apr 2018, 12:37
Excuse the (very) plain English. What a load of b*ll*cks! The RAF surely did not pay somebody to dream up this crock of s**t?

goudie
13th Apr 2018, 12:53
Since I left things do appear to have gone downhill, somewhat. Can’t be a coincidence, surely.

ValMORNA
13th Apr 2018, 13:01
Re post #1 . . .

Brilliant! It is reminiscent of a sketch by Salvador Dali titled, 'The theory of flight as applicable to rotating-wing aircraft.'

megan
13th Apr 2018, 13:06
What a crock of s.... My heart bleeds for you guys.

son of brommers
13th Apr 2018, 13:12
The RAF surely did not pay somebody to dream up this crock of s**t?
They will have done and handsomely too.

It's good to see that for most of us here, we're not the RAF target (luckily?):
"To mark the centennial of the RAF, award-winning branding agency, Coley Porter Bell has developed a new strategic and creative campaign proposition celebrating the oldest independent air force in the world. With a core target audience of millennials (13 – 24 years old), the campaign is entitled: RAF100 - http://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/"

pasta
13th Apr 2018, 13:29
I think it's b*ll*cks too, but that's not really the point; it's not aimed at us.

If this sort of branding does increase the profile/attractiveness of the RAF to the millenials from which it needs to recruit (and I'm not in a position to judge either way) I say go for it...

Edit: Anyone have access to a tame millenial they can ask?

langleybaston
13th Apr 2018, 13:36
I have access to 15 in my extended family.
This is what they said when shown it:

bollocks
bollocks
bollocks
bollocks
bollocks
bollocks
bollocks
bollocks
bollocks
bollocks
bollocks
bollocks
bollocks
bollocks
bollocks

For the record, I think it is B O L L O C K S too

Basil
13th Apr 2018, 13:40
For air commodore Nigel Bradshaw, head of media and communications at the Royal Air Force, Coley Porter Bell has perfectly understood the purpose of the RAF – translating it into a branding project. “Not only has [the agency] managed to encapsulate the past 100 years in this campaign, but it has brought to life the innovative and exciting essence of the Royal Air Force,” explains Bradshaw.
Errmm, Sir, should this have been published two weeks ago?

Where is Maggie's handkerchief when you need it?

son of brommers
13th Apr 2018, 13:53
Anyone have access to a tame millenial they can ask?
Not sure about the tame part but both of mine, one of which is doing GCSE art and design proffered a 4 letter descriptive which, in more polite company, translates to bollocks.

VX275
13th Apr 2018, 14:08
If proof was ever needed that someone has been promoted above his level of incompetence, it is the approval of this design and the release of that press release.

pasta
13th Apr 2018, 14:14
There goes that theory, Bollocks it is then!

BEagle
13th Apr 2018, 14:20
1. It's complete and utter bolleaux!
2. Is Air Cdre Bradshaw colour blind?
3. How much did this nonsense cost?
4. Who agreed to it?
5. It really is total bolleaux!

brakedwell
13th Apr 2018, 14:22
And it's Bollocks for me. God help the RAF :eek::eek:

SamYeager
13th Apr 2018, 14:22
With the reference to 1 April 1918 in the quoted article are we sure this wasn't an April Fool?

Haraka
13th Apr 2018, 14:23
Again. How much were these clowns paid, and who authorised payment?
A sight more than painting a RAFAT Hawk Blue I suspect.

Easy Street
13th Apr 2018, 14:25
It might have been even worse. At the link (https://www.designweek.co.uk/inspiration/royal-air-force-centenary-coley-porter-bell/) there is an article which suggests that the agency had also designed a RAF100 logo, below, with a bizarre B2-like ‘F’. Fortunately it looks like someone had a common-sense moment and knocked up the red square thing instead, for the cost of probably 5 minutes’ work in MS Office. Although even that is itself bizarre, red being the Army colour...

https://s3-eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/centaur-wp/designweek/prod/content/uploads/2016/05/26170049/RAF100LIMErgb-1398x1080.jpg

Brian W May
13th Apr 2018, 14:26
Another unusual occurrence, I agree with Beagle . . .

The RAF need this air commodore like a dog needs another flea.

A w@nker producing utter bollocks.

Old-Duffer
13th Apr 2018, 14:39
The blurb talks about inspiring the next generation but the motif is only until September 2018 - not much time for that.

God knows how much this exercise cost. When I have seen aircraft tails etc decorated for anniversaries, these are often the work of serving personnel and some are pretty slick. Why did the air force not have a competition and save the cash?

BTW can anybody translate the contractors stuff into everyday English or is that what passes for English now?

Old Duffer

NutLoose
13th Apr 2018, 14:42
It does not look to bad when visuals are added as in this, but its still a no for me.. still pants.

BTW you can cast a vote on this link

The Royal Air Force: RAF Centenary by Coley Porter Bell | Creative Works | The Drum (http://www.thedrum.com/creative-works/project/coley-porter-bell-the-royal-air-force-raf-centenary)

NutLoose
13th Apr 2018, 14:45
Easy street, those ones are here, one has the roundel looking like it is putting its fingers down its throat or dissappearing up its own a..........

https://creativepool.com/magazine/design/coley-porter-bell-celebrate-centenary-anniversary-for-the-raf.9230

brakedwell
13th Apr 2018, 14:47
Are they taking them that young nowadays?
What the hell has a shopping bag got to do with it?
Why no mention of diversity, or have I missed something?
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
13th Apr 2018, 14:48
Not sure if it has been said before but that is utter BOLLOCKS.

Also that yellow "thing" wood look more at home on a Volvo dumper truck - perhaps as full of "Sh%£ as the person responsible for the abortion in the first post.

son of brommers
13th Apr 2018, 14:55
It does not look to bad when visuals are added as in this, but its still a no for me.. still pants.

The Royal Air Force: RAF Centenary by Coley Porter Bell | Creative Works | The Drum (http://www.thedrum.com/creative-works/project/coley-porter-bell-the-royal-air-force-raf-centenary)

Just voted with an appropriate score;)

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
13th Apr 2018, 14:56
I have done a little research and all can be revealed. It is not just a logo, it is a fancy form of pie-chart.

son of brommers
13th Apr 2018, 14:59
SWB, :D, superb. But could a millennial understand that and or the attached satire?

PeregrineW
13th Apr 2018, 15:01
Well now, here's a picture of a 75th anniversary mug alongside a 100th one for comparison. Also appearing are bits of random tat from my house.

I must say, I'm appreciating the new mug more now that I've seen the window sticker...https://www.pprune.org/members/375903-peregrinew-albums-stuff-picture1108-mugs2.jpg

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
13th Apr 2018, 15:10
that's called the Ratchet effect Peregrine. You are given something that is bad and then something that is really crap. All of a sudden the bad thing seems "ok".

4mastacker
13th Apr 2018, 15:20
........BTW can anybody translate the contractors stuff into everyday English .............

How about an everyday saying from north of the Tyne ....."Whataheapof****e!". Sums it up quite well.

Haraka
13th Apr 2018, 15:24
When I have seen aircraft tails etc decorated for anniversaries, these are often the work of serving personnel and some are pretty slick. Why did the air force not have a competition and save the cash?

There was an RAF Team set up to take suggestions for the Centenary . I wrote in two mini papers,the first suggesting taking one smallish type (e.g.Hawk) and putting ten in semi -representative schemes for each ten year period of the Service's existence ( WW2 schemes for Hawk ,Tucano & Typhoon demonstrating precedent). I was given a brief reply from a Sqn.Ldr. requesting that I cost the exercise.
So I thought again and put in a second effort suggesting that, at unit level , Squadrons might like to put their own interpretation on all or part of an airframe showing a scheme from an earlier era in their history.
In the Service of old this would have generated competiton.
I illustrated this idea by enclosing a shot of a visiting Polish P28 dressed up in markings worn by an RAF Polish Squadron Wellington from WW2.
I heard no more.
There is another contributor to this thread who also got a zero response to his suggestion.
It would appear therefore that ( Like RAFM's Peoples' Spitfire Pilot) a series of various peripheral posturing "Cake and Arse Parties " will probably be very much in evidence instead over this Summer period.

PeregrineW
13th Apr 2018, 15:26
that's called the Ratchet effect Peregrine. You are given something that is bad and then something that is really crap. All of a sudden the bad thing seems "ok".

Sigh. 'twas ever thus.

DirtyProp
13th Apr 2018, 15:35
They will have done and handsomely too.

I really am in the wrong business....:(

Old Photo.Fanatic
13th Apr 2018, 15:35
I am not normally lost for words, but this so called Logo is just the greatest load of cods wallop I have ever seen.

How on earth does this represent the Royal Air Force.?

Its way past April 1st, but this rubbish is a couple of weeks late!!!!!.(As pointed out in post 21)

I agree with all the sentiments expressed, IT IS A LOAD OF BOxLOCKS.

OPF (RAF 1956-1971)

clunckdriver
13th Apr 2018, 15:36
Dear God, this is the most stupid logo and has NO connection to any military unit or service whatsoever! Reminds me of some bloody stupid TV ad created for some crap product to make hair grow! If you really want to hear some blunt opinions simply ask a Bomber command vet!

esscee
13th Apr 2018, 15:36
What a "follow up" to the all PC thread. To make it worse these idiots still get paid too much money too. Heaven help us if these people have to make some serious decisions if "the balloon goes up".

teeteringhead
13th Apr 2018, 15:44
And all that Pac-Man yellow! Apart from other connotations of "yellow", it's a bit ironic when we've just got rid of yellow Sar birds.

You don't need to tinker too much with the roundel; one of the best logos IMHO is that of the BenFund, who just replace the red centre circle with a heart.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0063/7572/products/pin-badges-rafbf-235_large.jpg?v=1332344736

Very effective, obviously RAF connected - and probably quite cheap. And not bollocks!

NutLoose
13th Apr 2018, 15:44
It does resemble Capt Scarlets Spectrum logo.

Some of the suggestions

https://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/your-ideas/latest-submissions/?page=3

Herod
13th Apr 2018, 15:45
https://www.pprune.org/members/11637-herod-albums-pictures-picture1109-perfect.html

I guess we have to humour the rest of humanity.

grobbling about
13th Apr 2018, 15:51
http://youtu.be/YCQJEAcYSCw

Reminds me a lot of this....

Mortmeister
13th Apr 2018, 15:58
What a total embarrassment, the Royal Navy and the Army must be laughing their heads off! The current RAF must have more money going spare than they know what to do with.

I would love to know what branch of the service this Air Commodore hails from? Who could possibly have thought that this was a good idea? But then again having spent 4 years in the RAF recruiting organisation, I have seen plenty of similar half-witted schemes!

Whilst I agree that the centenary should have been as much about looking forward as looking back, this drivel is not the answer.

An utter load of c**p, this cannot be the service that I was proud to be a part of for 25 years.

Rant ends!
MM

BEagle
13th Apr 2018, 15:58
I'm surprised that the meeja-luvvy Air Commodore didn't go with the 'Spectrum' logo - it's 'rainbow' colours would have pandered to the LGB-GT mob....and earned him some diversity brownie :ooh: points.

What is this obsession with 3 word motifs? 'Commemorate, Celebrate, Inspire', 'Agile, Adaptable, Capable'.....'Arbeit Macht Frei'?....'Kraft Durch Freude'?

PPRuNeUser0139
13th Apr 2018, 16:02
Why didn't we "employ a flexible visual identity designed with cross-generational appeal" during WWII?
WTF is a flexible visual identity..?
The RAF can't be that short of money if they can afford this nonsense.
I'm sorry for those who serve under the present regime..

George Richardson
13th Apr 2018, 16:03
A rounder for the left wing?

George Richardson
13th Apr 2018, 16:04
Oops roundel.

charliegolf
13th Apr 2018, 16:18
Well now, here's a picture of a 75th anniversary mug alongside a 100th one for comparison. Also appearing are bits of random tat from my house.

I must say, I'm appreciating the new mug more now that I've seen the window sticker...https://www.pprune.org/members/375903-peregrinew-albums-stuff-picture1108-mugs2.jpg

PeregrineW: the new quarter roundel might be referencing the size of the RAF compared to 25 years ago? It'll be a Triv Pursuits piece of pie before long!

CG

cargosales
13th Apr 2018, 16:29
https://www.rafmuseumshop.com/pub/media/catalog/product/cache/image/e9c3970ab036de70892d86c6d221abfe/r/a/raf100_roundel_window_sticker3.jpg

And do they qualify

Transform magazine: RAF celebrates centenary with new brand campaign - 2018 - Articles (http://www.transformmagazine.net/articles/2018/raf-celebrates-centenary-with-new-brand-campaign/)

Spot on Nutty

What a complete and utter load of cr@p, both the 'logo' - a 4 year old could have done better - and the drivel, err I mean detailed explanation about why it's so wonderful.

Haraka
13th Apr 2018, 16:42
It harks back (at least ) to the populist "1,2....3!" rabble rousing hookline device used by such as Dr.Goebbels and now plagiarised by the freeloading "bolloxerati" to new generations.

Think back: "Ein Volk,Ein Reich.....Ein Führer!

Nothing new (or original).

glad rag
13th Apr 2018, 16:43
I have done a little research and all can be revealed. It is not just a logo, it is a fancy form of pie-chart.

Seconded that is excellent.

BTW I believe the green arrow in the middle relates to "all going ahead together".

ass.

Onceapilot
13th Apr 2018, 16:49
Such great outpouring of "respect" and "appreciation" for the efforts of veterans? :ooh: I doubt it. It took over 70 years to award the Bomber Command clasp :* and, "going forward", the recognition of Officers long service was made to only apply to retirees after May 2014 in order to save 5p and yet, they can waste £££,£££ on this carp. What respect was that you mentioned? :yuk:

OAP

NutLoose
13th Apr 2018, 16:54
SWB superb :D:D:D:D:D

I dare not show you the centenary Typhoon display scheme.

Haraka
13th Apr 2018, 16:58
BTW I believe the green arrow in the middle relates to "all going ahead together".

In to a black hole?

Rather be Gardening
13th Apr 2018, 17:11
The only thing that new logo made me think of was 'Big Brother is Watching You'.

I'd class it as spherical objects too.:*

NutLoose
13th Apr 2018, 18:03
The RAF Typhoon 100th anniversary display scheme.

Do you think they are using the monies they saved on paint.

http://milky01.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/cropped-HS1A9085-2.jpg

http://milky01.co.uk/?page_id=31411

cargosales
13th Apr 2018, 18:18
The RAF Typhoon 100th anniversary display scheme.

Do you think they are using the monies they saved on paint to fund the senior officers piss up at Westminster?

http://milky01.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/cropped-HS1A9085-2.jpg

Typhoon fleet picture file 2018.. | Coningsby Aviation Site (http://milky01.co.uk/?page_id=31411)

Err is that it? Really? If so it's another (very bad) joke .... :*

NutLoose
13th Apr 2018, 18:30
That's what I have seen it listed as.

NutLoose
13th Apr 2018, 18:32
Not wanting to deride anyone, but before clicking on the link below think in your mind what you define as a hero and who in the past 100 years of the RAF you would put into that category, now look at the link.

https://www.raf.mod.uk/raf100/news/100-heroes/

Danny on here is my hero and should be on that.

Let me get this straight, I am not trying to deride anyone but the word hero is bandied about these days like confetti and I do not think it does those that have gone before justice.

teeteringhead
13th Apr 2018, 18:52
Nutty oh dear oh dear oh dear ........

Lotsa females of course - what percentage of the RAF is female? I lost the will to live after the first page of the link.

If you're going to have females - who should be heroines actually- , then why not Michelle DFC (maybe she was after computer gamers and AT enthusiasts).

That whirring noise you hear is Bader, Gibson et al spinning in their graves.......

c130jbloke
13th Apr 2018, 18:59
That is just beyond awful.

octavian
13th Apr 2018, 19:10
What utter bollocks. I despair.

PPRuNeUser0139
13th Apr 2018, 19:19
It gets worse.. Click on this link (https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/) and it appears that these days the "Top Roles" are: Logistics (Chef), Intelligence Analyst (Linguist), Technical & Engineering (Cyberspace Communication Specialist), Logistics (Catering & Hospitality Specialist), Personnel Support (Human Resources), Technical & Engineering (Engineer Officer) and most of them appear to be filled by women.
Where does Air Power fit in with all of this?
Strange as it may seem, the RAF doesn't see fit to include any aircrew in its "Top Roles". No doubt Krystal 'n Chips will be along shortly to explain.

sidewayspeak
13th Apr 2018, 19:20
The logo is just beyond words - dreadful.

The 100 heroes is yet more politically correct drivel - full of females doing their job. (Merely being a member of the Falcons counts as being a heroine...?)

When this diversity rubbish has had chance to take a good grip, and the military is full of females, less abled (?) people and politically correct toe-the-liners, then all will be lost. How on earth will the military fight without really rough, tough violent men to kill the enemy? It would be like picking an England Rugby team with a 50% mix of weaker girls and little weedy boys, and sending them to play the All Blacks - they'd get destroyed.

I'm so glad I am no longer in. It makes me weep.

Just This Once...
13th Apr 2018, 19:54
Looks like I picked a good month to leave the RAF.

Just waiting for the gratuity to hit the account; a much better visual than the daft centennial roundel.

Herod
13th Apr 2018, 20:12
I would define a "hero" as someone who has a choice to put his/her life at risk, or take an easier option. Bomber crews in WWII? Certainly. Choosing to take part in sport? err?

artschool
13th Apr 2018, 20:14
did anyone else click on this thread because they read the title as horsecock?:p

Pontius Navigator
13th Apr 2018, 20:38
Speechless

langleybaston
13th Apr 2018, 20:51
I weep for the RAF that I tried to support for 41 years. My RAF father is turning in his grave.
I need a large drink NOW

Tengah Type
13th Apr 2018, 21:02
I see the Squadron Leader "hero" has three medals. But I do not think they quite match those of a Retired Wing Commander whose funeral I had the honour of attending a couple of weeks ago. DSO, DFC for flying 81 bombing sorties in World War Two plus an AFC for his work after the war as a Test Pilot. Plus a couple of rows of campaign medals and a Legion D'Honneur.

I suppose it depends on your definition of "Hero".

MrBernoulli
13th Apr 2018, 21:07
The Centenary Anniversary of the RAF. 100 years. A century. A huge and proud milestone for the folk in blue. And that colour-blind bumpkin, Air Commodore Nigel Bradshaw (Head of Media & Communications), thinks that it is truly okay to pass this piece of puke off as representative of, and celebratory of, the RAF? Really? He truly believes that it is "a visual identity that appeals to veterans and school children alike"?

Well I have news for the chump - this RAF veteran does not think it comes close to being acceptable for such an occasion! Nowhere near acceptable! His Rocket-polishing Bloatedness has clearly lost his flipping marbles, sitting at his bloody great 'Media & Communications' desk, with his logo-ed pens, mugs and stickers, ........ and sniffing glue, clearly!

And Jennie Cooper, Senior Designer at Coley Porter Bell must share the brickbats for this glitter-encased turd - it is bloody awful! Shee-ite! That is the best you fools could do? Did you not have more than 30 seconds to come up with something better, FFS? I mean, it is not like the 100th Anniversary of the forming of the RAF snuck up on everbody, is it?

Morons. :*

Rigga
13th Apr 2018, 21:24
1. It's complete and utter bolleaux!
2. Is Air Cdre Bradshaw colour blind?
3. How much did this nonsense cost?
4. Who agreed to it?
5. It really is total bolleaux!

First time in a long time that I completely agree with Beags.

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
13th Apr 2018, 21:27
I wish now I had not clicked on that link. What a :mad: travesty.
More PC tripe.

It makes me sad and embarrassed to say I was part of what the organisation has become and it reinforces the fact that my decision to leave when I did was the correct path to take.

Rewarding someone for doing their day-today job just because they are female/gay/ethnic minority is wrong on so many levels when there are many (far too many) who have gone way beyond what is expected and given their lives in the line of duty. Someone needs a good :mad: slap.

mgahan
13th Apr 2018, 21:37

1/5!

Not surprising. I hope our mob do better in a couple of years.

Let's see what the average is after 690 votes... any bets?

MJG
WGCDR RAAF, retd
and glad it's not RAF retd

Always a Sapper
13th Apr 2018, 21:41
The mind boggles....

And to think some one was paid good beer tokens to come up with something the rug-rats in the wives club crèche could knock up while planning a quick tactical assault on the sweet tin!

As for 'hero' status for sports.... More like lucky g*t who got the time off while others did the work.... It was certainly was like that back in my day when the Regt deployed on ftx and troops were 50% down because the rest were off on rugby tours....

The real Hero's put themselves in danger, do daft things in the face of danger lots wouldn't even dare to do, come home with bits missing (or sadly not at all)...

Nutloose, your right, Danny et al... there's your heros

Icare9
13th Apr 2018, 21:49
If the logo is to appeal to Millennials, then surely a snowflake would have been more suitable.

I cringe to read the supporting guff by the Air Commode (oops, Commodore) about its suitability... how can he sleep at night? BOLLOCKS just doesn't do it enough "justice"

Lima Juliet
13th Apr 2018, 22:02
Someone asked. According to this link Nigel Bradshaw is an engineer.

http://www.gulabin.com/armynavy/pdf/Air%20Marshals-Current.pdf

langleybaston
13th Apr 2018, 22:21
More Airships than "airships" as it were.
Do the former outnumber the latter, much as admirals outnumber ships?

Lima Juliet
13th Apr 2018, 22:29
For what it is worth, many of the Millennials (those born after 1984) that I have spoken to about this don’t like it either. They also don’t like living in some of the modern carbuncles we have built recently and called ‘Messes’ - many call the awful Daedalus Officers’ Mess a ‘Travelodge’ and those remaining at Cranwell for flying training can’t wait to get into York House Officers’ Mess.

We ignore our heritage and culture at our peril. Giving a modern twist to a heritage object or artefact is the way ahead - that is why the modern Mini is such a success and guess what, popular with Millennials!

As a brand the RAF is strong in its own right - roundel, wings, chip-bag hats, grow-bags, checking-in-not-digging-in, balanced extroversion, crab-fat blue, moustaches, Spitfires, Lancasters, equality (first in many since 1918 for womens’ roles and multi culture), technologically focussed and the ability to progress without an ‘old school tie’. Those are the so-called artefacts that make us who we are, not some ridiculous multi-coloured logo that bears little resemblance to who we really are.

Final word on the logo - dreadful :sad:

Davef68
13th Apr 2018, 22:44
I have access to 15 in my extended family.
This is what they said when shown it:

bollocks

Just two in my case, but 'Bollocks' and 'WTF is that?' were the replies

Out Of Trim
13th Apr 2018, 22:51
Sorry for using the B word earlier.. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Who in the RAF thought that we needed Re-branding?

The RAF already had the strongest "Branding" possible with the famous traditional Red, White and Blue Roundel with 100 years of History and Tradition recognised throughout the World.

Unbelievable!

Davef68
13th Apr 2018, 22:55
The problem seems to be they are trying to use RAF 100 as a recruiting tool, so are listening to the testicles that the marketing wonks tell them.

It should be about commeorating and celebrating.

And for a logo, '100' with the zeros made up of roundels would have been fine

CoodaShooda
13th Apr 2018, 23:07
As an ill-bred colonial, even I am amazed at this effort to link the RAF to the colours green and yellow.

You've just spent 100 years proving you are neither.

NutLoose
13th Apr 2018, 23:32
Well said that man :D

4mastacker
14th Apr 2018, 06:42
Wasn't/isn't there a disciplinary offence of bringing the Service into disrepute? If there is, it should be applied with the utmost rigour to those responsible for this absolute fiasco! It's embarrassing!

Smallhausen
14th Apr 2018, 08:07
The designer should be deprived of the oxygen she is so carelessly wasting.

octavian
14th Apr 2018, 08:52
Led by Coley Porter Bell’s unique ‘visual planning’ methodology, the updated branding and assets for the RAF centenary are inspired by both military heritage and the need for flexible future-focused visuals. Although the classic and iconic RAF roundel is still core to the overall brand identity, its application alongside more contemporary marketing collateral shows that Coley Porter Bell has adapted the design to be applicable in a digital age.

So, the RAF is now an “overall brand identity”. I’m glad I left when it was still a fighting force. At least last night’s events have proved that the “luvvies and numpties” haven’t totally overwhelmed the true purpose of our armed forces.

Barksdale Boy
14th Apr 2018, 08:53
For all this Bradshaw Boll@#$s, four crews today showed that we can still do the business.

Wander00
14th Apr 2018, 09:16
Barksdale - well said - this rebranding nonsense leaves me speechless, almost. But , 5 pages on, it is still as the early posters said BOLLOCKS

treadigraph
14th Apr 2018, 09:18
Has anyone said it's bollocks yet?

I remember designing the cover for a bid about twenty years ago. One of our bright young things thanked me with some crap about how I'd captured this and subliminally suggested that and various other blandishments. When she finished I replied "oh really? I just thought it looked nice". She was a nice girl, just apt to over think things.

Treble one
14th Apr 2018, 10:42
Perhaps in all of the (fair in my optinion) indignation on here we can all remember what happened last night.

4 Tornado crews (and the many support staff required, in many branches) put their personal safety at risk on an operation, and delivered precision munitions onto a target as part of UK Government Policy.

Its what the RAF has proudly done for the last 100 years. And hopefully will continue to do long after we have all gone.

Well done RAF I say. Best PR you can get. To do your jobs in a professional, skilled and consummate manner.

Per Ardua ad Astra.

Pekanbaru
14th Apr 2018, 10:46
I concur with all....Bollocks.

Ormeside28
14th Apr 2018, 11:08
It is still OUR Royal Air Force. Good show lads (and lasses!) Salute!!

treadigraph
14th Apr 2018, 12:00
a month long rolling round-Britain flypast of a collection of types past

Be great, multi venue places such as along the south coast.

How many historic types could we get?

Pup/Camel/SE5A/Brisfit/Avro 504/DH-9 (hopefully flying shortly)

Hind/Fury/Demon/Tutor/Tiger Moth/Gipsy Moth/Rapide/Magister/Gladiator

Spitfire/Hurricane/P-51/Lancaster/Mitchell/Lysander/Blenheim/Anson/DC-3/Rapide/Harvard/Argus/Beech 18/P-40/P-36/Messenger/P-47/P-38

Chipmunk/Prentice/Proctor/Vampire/Venom/Meteor/Hunter/Gnat/Bulldog/HS125/Canberra (?)/Devon/Gazelle/Pembroke/JP/Provost/Whirlwind/Wessex (think one's about to fly again)/Basset ?

Some types would be representative of course...

Easy Street
14th Apr 2018, 13:17
There's no unifying, national, real flying event - something, I would have thought, the populace is crying out for - PR hint.

It’s almost like someone had thought of that. There’s a massed parade and flypast in London on 10 July, with the flypast repeated at RIAT the following weekend. As detailed on the RAF100 website...! Sensible planning IMHO as the weather is much more likely to be favourable in mid-July than in April, as the opening ceremony of the Bomber Command Centre found last week.

Herod
14th Apr 2018, 13:30
At least one county knows we exist. My brother, ex-RAF and living in Oz, sent this picture, taken at dawn on 1st April.

https://www.pprune.org/members/11637-herod-albums-pictures-picture1121-dawn-perth.html

At the Cosford museum, over the two days 1-2nd, there were over 10,000 people through the doors.

Ken Scott
14th Apr 2018, 16:28
I don’t envy the person facing the dilemma of who to select for the RAF 100 Hero’s: ‘shall I pick the white male who did 80 bombing missions and was awarded a raft of medals for gallantry or go for the female who’s ‘big’ in the LGBT network?’
Clearly the latter more accurately reflects the modern Royal Air Force.

Lima Juliet
14th Apr 2018, 16:50
Ken

This should be easy. The LGBT rep really should not make the cut unless they/she/he actually do something heroic - ie. put their life in peril for the benefit of others. I see no evidence of this.

So who in modern times would I pick - there will be plenty of good stories, with a positive equality aspect (gender, religion or sexual preference) in the last 20 years of the Operational Honours List. Someone has already mentioned Flt Lt Michelle Goodnan DFC - then there is Flt Lt Laura Nickolson DFC - plus Sgt Rachel Robinson QGM - there are many more I’m sure seeing that female aircrew have been flying for the best part of 30 years. But the 100 needs to be proportionate to the actual make up of the RAF.

Otherwise this is positive discrimination. But branding our best sports people as ‘heroes’ is an insult to our real heroes, those that have put their lives on the line. They are in the modern RAF and you don’t need to look that hard to find them...

Rant over

NutLoose
14th Apr 2018, 17:26
Yeah but, . . again ...both events are fairly south-east centric and, unless your're an invitee to the Air Commodore's tent at RIAT, or pitch-up the previous evening, with the traffic congestion, you won't get within 5 miles of the airfield. . and that's on a normal year, let alone 100 up !

Totally agree, I cannot understand why it couldn't have been included at Cosford Airshow and say Glasgow. The static aircraft tour is also only up one side of the country, bar a visit to Newcastle. Poor NI do not appear to be getting anything major and Scotland very little.

NutLoose
14th Apr 2018, 17:31
I don’t envy the person facing the dilemma of who to select for the RAF 100 Hero’s: ‘shall I pick the white male who did 80 bombing missions and was awarded a raft of medals for gallantry or go for the female who’s ‘big’ in the LGBT network?’
Clearly the latter more accurately reflects the modern Royal Air Force.

What are the medals she has, one looks like a DFM, the bomber pilot amongst all the dross looks like a token Hero. One of the "Heroes" is an AC, not even out of training!

hoodie
14th Apr 2018, 18:43

They've mis-spelled "Licker". :sad::*

PPRuNeUser0139
14th Apr 2018, 19:01
Looking for heroes? How about these? These are some of the Allied bomber crews* who were shot down over occupied Europe during WWII and managed to evade successfully back to the UK.

One of them was shot down on his first trip - but, despite that, he returned to 'Ops' and did 39 more. He's still with us.. but as he says, he no longer buys green bananas! :ok:

Bob Barckley (http://www.cometeline.org/fiche117.html) (8th row down, far right) was a 22 year old Typhoon pilot - he was the first to destroy a V1 by tipping it over. He's still going strong at 97.. (disregard the comment in the link about V2s!)

Another hero is Bob Frost (http://www.cometeline.org/fiche065.html) (top left in the photo below). He was a 19 year old tail gunner in a Wellington. From being shot down over Belgium on his 22nd 'Op', it took him just 3 weeks to cross the frontier into Spain. He's now 95 years old and he'd welcome visitors - so why not drop in if you're in the area!

Ami Court Care Home
198 Dover Rd,
Walmer,
Deal CT14 7NB

Tel: 01304 371126

* Not all Brits.

Onceapilot
14th Apr 2018, 19:16
Excellent post, Sidevalve! :D

OAP

NRU74
14th Apr 2018, 19:49

They've mis-spelled "Licker". :sad::*

....or possibly ‘window’ as well !

Chugalug2
14th Apr 2018, 20:19
Yes great post, sidevalve. My poor Royal Air Force, what are they doing to you?

Basil
14th Apr 2018, 21:12
He's still with us.. but as he says, he no longer buys green bananas!

Give it another 15 years and I'll use that one :ok:

DunWinching
14th Apr 2018, 22:43
75 years ago 617 Sqn flew on OP Chastise against the dams. 8 aircraft out of 19 lost. Take hard knocks. Give them harder. Screw "branding". Remember the point of it all.

Tankertrashnav
14th Apr 2018, 23:28
But the 100 needs to be proportionate to the actual make up of the RAF.

There is no chance. I know this is a drum I have banged before, but women will always get disproportionate coverage. Take for example items about the Air Transport Auxiliary, which always feature women pilots, even though they only made up less than 20% of the ATA's strength. After I mentioned this on an earlier thread one of our number even stated that he had previously been under the impression that the ATA was an all female organisation. Nowadays press coverage of any military unit will always seek out female members, particularly when it comes to photographs. It may come as a surprise to some, for example, to learn that there actually some men in the Kings Troop Royal Horse Artillery!

Scottie66
15th Apr 2018, 03:32
What utter sh*te. I've just shown it to a former Director PR & Media of the RAF who's instant response cannot be repeated here...

cngaero
15th Apr 2018, 07:16
Such a shame that what should have been a memorable milestone in the RAF's history has been diluted by this thoughtless branding exercise. My heart goes out to those who have gone before. That their memory should be degraded by such a childish piece of artwork saddens me greatly and I use the word "artwork" in its loosest sense.
Some top brass heads should roll for this.
If they're not proud of your heritage, I am.

goudie
15th Apr 2018, 07:32
Wishful thinking probably, but I wonder if any of the perpetrators of this rubbish, read pprune? Might give them a reality check, if they do.

PPRuNeUser0139
15th Apr 2018, 07:45
Maybe the odd retired air marshal or two who haven't succumbed to the inclusivity/diversity mantra and who still care about the RAF's heritage.

Haraka
15th Apr 2018, 08:08
It would seem that Dykes are more important than Dams in this new version of our RAF history. The deliberate denigration of heroes by including the term to describe ,often dubious, modern Wednesday afternoon "achievers".

That's me probably banned , but I really am just up fed up to the back teeth with this pseudo-intellectual irrelevant claptrap from the pony tails, being sucked up to by VSO's waving the cheque books whilst admiring the Emperor's new clothes .

Green Flash
15th Apr 2018, 08:22
OK, it's a few days down the road from the initial post and its Sunday morning - but it's still bollocks.

mopardave
15th Apr 2018, 08:28
Well, I've just taken a look at some of the "100"......I don't want to do anyone down because I don't know the individuals involved, but could somebody please explain to me WTF is going on? I always associate the word "hero" with courage or bravery.....there are quite a few on this forum who should be on that list! Who chose them? Maybe I just need to be enlightened in this "brave" new world of ours! Good grief.....call me old fashioned eh!!

mopardave
15th Apr 2018, 08:30
oh yes and I forgot to say......it's bollocks!:ugh:

mikemmb
15th Apr 2018, 08:31

Well the voting process is NOT Inclusive as it only goes down to 1 out of 10.
...........so nowhere for my ZERO to go!

cngaero
15th Apr 2018, 08:53
Wishful thinking probably, but I wonder if any of the perpetrators of this rubbish, read pprune? Might give them a reality check, if they do.

Probably not my place to do so, but I have sent an email to the Air Commodore to complain about this and added a link to this post.
I know that it's wishful thinking on my part to think that it won't be filtered out of his inbox before Monday morning, but I really do feel strongly about this.

The Old Fat One
15th Apr 2018, 09:37
I knew it reminded me of something, from way back...

https://i.imgur.com/ljTFX9U.jpg

MPN11
15th Apr 2018, 10:26
I opened this thread with trepidation, and found it even worse than I feared. Permit me to join those who think this is ....

B.O.L.L.O.C.K.S.

langleybaston
15th Apr 2018, 10:49
Never in the field of PPRUNE wrath have so many testicles been aired.

We have had italicised ones, emboldened ones, red, blue, green, purple, large font, and now punctuated.

This wrinkled old retainer is grateful for the support, as it were.

Lima Juliet
15th Apr 2018, 12:39
This is apparently a sketch of the PR gang wheeling out their great idea:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BNjWvcDCQAARWHC.png

cargosales
15th Apr 2018, 13:58
Just wondering like .. if anyone has thought about sending a link to this thread to the 'designer' :yuk: ?

Oh and the press . Wonder if Vicki Woods is still writing for the Telegraph? :E

pr00ne
15th Apr 2018, 14:13
Lima Juliet,

Those are unfeasibly large...

cargosales
15th Apr 2018, 14:20
From the horse's mouth .. https://www.coleyporterbell.com/

We love challenges. So if you need help refining or redefining a brand, creating an identity for a company or service, launching a product or perfecting packaging, let’s talk it through.

Our home is central London. Though as part of WPP (http://www.wpp.com/wpp/companies/coley-porter-bell/)and in turn Ogilvy & Mather (http://ogilvy.co.uk/agencies/coley-porter-bell), we belong to a global network of 120 offices for local insight and expertise, wherever your project leads.

Whether you’re a new brand or an established multinational, you’ll find a warm welcome. What’s more, we know a thing or two about tea (https://www.coleyporterbell.com/case_studies/gaiety), coffee (https://www.coleyporterbell.com/case-studies/nescafe-azera/)and biscuits…

Ahh, with that last sentence of theirs I think I have figured out what persuaded a colourblind senior officer to use this bunch of clowns, let alone sign off on their 'work'. Wonder if it was the choccy digestives or the squashed fly biccies that did it? :}

Il Duce
15th Apr 2018, 15:08
I know I shouldn't be surprised at such drivel, but here I am, dumbfounded. This is beyond bollox. This is utterly shameful. I'm sure I can actually smell the logo - and it's very unpleasant.
Frankly, if this is the way ahead for the RAF, I despair.

Martin the Martian
15th Apr 2018, 15:17
I see the Chinook display airframe has been treated the same way as the Typhoon...

https://www.facebook.com/rafchinookdisplayteam/photos/pcb.1689046661184233/1689042154518017/?type=3&theater

By the way, it's still bollocks.

goudie
15th Apr 2018, 15:39
I see I’m alone in not calling it a load of bollocks. Well it bloody well is a load of bollocks!
Fixed.

heights good
15th Apr 2018, 16:07
Just to add in my tuppence worth, this design is horrific and represents NOTHING of the Royal Air Force, it ethos, core values or history and is quite simply an abomination produced by the work experience kid at the 'advertising' company! It is absolutely shameful and shows just how out of touch senior leaders are from the modern world....

Complete BOLLOX!

esscee
15th Apr 2018, 18:28
As for the people who came up with this load of "tosh", then I wonder what "stunning" decision making they could come up with in a time of crisis. Answers please on the back of a postage stamp.

NutLoose
15th Apr 2018, 20:33
Well, they will be right out of bollox.

Barksdale Boy
16th Apr 2018, 07:02
Thread drift to a high degree I know, but has any thought been given to making Harry an honorary air commodore so that he can wear RAF uniform on his wedding day?

AR1
16th Apr 2018, 07:15
Someone asked "did we really pay for someone to do this?" And on top of this i would add, yes but only for something that will run until September. A godsend in this case but ridiculous waste of money all the same. And it's bollocks too.

Dan Gerous
16th Apr 2018, 08:54
I'm going to get Toley-Portaloo to brand the word Bollocks for me. I'll make a fortune from this thread alone. Bollocks. (Kerching££££).

son of brommers
16th Apr 2018, 09:29
WPP CEO Martin Sorrell Resigns Amid Misconduct Allegations (http://fortune.com/2018/04/15/wpp-ceo-martin-sorrell-resigns/)

Could this "misconduct" possibly be the bo11ocks of a design referred to herein, if not, it should be..................

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
16th Apr 2018, 09:49
I'm going to get Toley-Portaloo to brand the word Bollocks for me. I'll make a fortune from this thread alone. Bollocks. (Kerching££££).

Sorry Dan
It has been done already.

The colours signify the testicular changes that one may see having had a "right Royal kick in the slats" It epitomizes all that is good in the world today; pain leads to colour".

Tankertrashnav
16th Apr 2018, 10:06
Thread drift to a high degree I know, but has any thought been given to making Harry an honorary air commodore so that he can wear RAF uniform on his wedding day?

No chance, even if you made him an air commodore. I was hoping that Prince William, who was at the time serving as Flight Lieutenant Wales might get married in RAF uniform, and even that they might do a one-off resurrection of pre-war full dress (minus the silly hat) so that he could emulate his great grandfather, the Duke of York, (later King George VI) who was married thus attired. Unsurprisingly in the event he married in guards uniform, and who can blame him? Same with Harry, he can wear his Blues and Royals full dress uniform, much more flash than dull old workaday RAF No 1 HD.

Barksdale Boy
16th Apr 2018, 10:12
TTN, my dear old nav rad colleague, I posted in a spirit of incitement!

Tankertrashnav
16th Apr 2018, 10:25
Yes indeed, but like lots of thread drifts it can lead on to a more serious point. In the past the RAF has been very under represented by the royal family, who tended to either join the navy or one of the smarter army regiments. This often leads to the situation where on Remembrance Day the first time you saw an RAF uniform march up to the Cenotaph was when the CAS laid his wreath, but at last that is gradually changing with Prince William now regularly appearing on the day in RAF uniform.

Harry marrying in RAF blue in the RAF's centenary year would be a nice touch but it ain't going to happen. Maybe his brother can brush down his No 1 for the occasion!

Ogre
17th Apr 2018, 10:19
So after taking all the votes cast on this and other forums, aggregating them together and dividing by the square root of the amount of times it was said, this house has determined that exhibit "A" is Bollocks.

Nice to see that for once we are all in agreement....

son of brommers
17th Apr 2018, 10:46
Nice to see that for once we are all in agreement....

Now if only we could agree on charcoal or gas....................................:E

Bladdered
17th Apr 2018, 10:55
And someone was paid to come up with this. Appalled - what a poor tribute to 100 years of most honourable service.

Heathrow Harry
17th Apr 2018, 11:03
"In the past the RAF has been very under represented by the royal family, who tended to either join the navy or one of the smarter army regiments"

I think they're damned if they do and damned if they don't

because in the eyes of Joe Public a Royal has to be seen to be "pulling their weight" in whatever service they are in - which, to the great unwashed - means a front line job - or at least an apparent front line job.

The Govt are deperate to keep them "safe" and its easier to play games in the Army or the Navy to keep them so

In the RAF a "frontline job" means flying to the unwashed - and that is dangerous or at least far less controllable.

An alternative answer is of course the Army has soooo many more uniforms to choose from......

Innominate
17th Apr 2018, 11:44
the situation where on Remembrance Day the first time you saw an RAF uniform march up to the Cenotaph was when the CAS laid his wreathIs that partly due to TRH being Colonels-in-Chief of various Regiments, Honorary Air Commodores and whatever the RN equivalent is? Clearly when visiting the relevant unit they'd wear the appropriate uniform, but do major public functions require the rotation of various uniforms?

Bing
17th Apr 2018, 12:30
The Govt are deperate to keep them "safe" and its easier to play games in the Army or the Navy to keep them so

Obviously that explains Prince Andrew in the Falklands and Prince Harry in Afghanistan...

Herod
17th Apr 2018, 13:24
And Prince William flying SAR around the Welsh mountains

Blacksheep
24th Apr 2018, 12:24
UTTER BOLLOX!

Thomas coupling
24th Apr 2018, 12:38
In its unique approach to branding, Coley Porter Bell also successfully merges science and design. Combining findings taken from neuroscience-oriented research with a heritage-led creative approach, the RAF spirit of persistence and triumph in the face of adversity remains front and centre of the brand campaign. Using photography, notions of pride strengthened through 100 years of service runs throughout the brand assets.
Ah, got it now..........

son of brommers
24th Apr 2018, 12:44
In its unique approach to branding, Coley Porter Bell also successfully merges science and design.

MPN11
24th Apr 2018, 13:23
Innovative, son of brommers ... I think I like that!

Shame about the missing ‘k’, but 10/10 for effort! :)

son of brommers
24th Apr 2018, 13:52
Thanks MPN11, I was Combining findings taken from neuroscience-oriented research with a heritage-led creative approachHence, the K was not required................

cargosales
24th Apr 2018, 16:07
Thanks MPN11, I was Hence, the K was not required................

And a K is certainly not appropriate for the Rodney who signed off on this heap of horsecrock (love that description Nutty!) and wasted a huge amount of taxpayers money on a complete load of ...

BOLLOCKS

Warmtoast
24th Apr 2018, 22:35
Tanketrashnav your #148
In the past the RAF has been very under represented by the royal family.
Not always

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/ThreeKingsandWings.jpg

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/DukeofYorkWeddingPhoto-1.jpg

Tankertrashnav
25th Apr 2018, 23:06
Thanks Warmtoast, I remember seeing that top photo somewhere in the RAF Club. In the wedding photo The Duke of York is wearing full dress which I referred to in my post about Prince William's wedding - wouldn't have been too difficult to knock up a one-off for him to wear, (minus that comic opera hat, of course), but too late now.

Fareastdriver
26th Apr 2018, 08:09
Did PPRuNe get the same people who designed the 100 year RAF Logo to design this new website?

Treble one
26th Apr 2018, 09:52
Thanks Warmtoast, I remember seeing that top photo somewhere in the RAF Club. In the wedding photo The Duke of York is wearing full dress which I referred to in my post about Prince William's wedding - wouldn't have been too difficult to knock up a one-off for him to wear, (minus that comic opera hat, of course), but too late now.

TTN I believe Flt Lt Wales was hampered somewhat in wearing his RAF uniform for his wedding by protocol.....which was most unfortunate of course.

Tankertrashnav
26th Apr 2018, 10:32
I suppose you are right but if being an honorary colonel of the Micks trumps being a serving officer in the RAF, then protocol is a load of horsecrock too!

clunckdriver
26th Apr 2018, 11:09
It seems that the idiots who have totally trashed the threads are now destroying all the whole web site! Bollocks indeed!

Treble one
26th Apr 2018, 16:14
I suppose you are right but if being an honorary colonel of the Micks trumps being a serving officer in the RAF, then protocol is a load of horsecrock too!

Personally I agree TTN-He should have been married in the uniform of the service he was serving in-but tradition/protocol whatever deemed it so. I have to admit there was a degree of surprise that HRH was wearing Red not Blue on the big day, given his role. In fact if he was going to wear an army uniform, one might have expected that it would be that of his parent regiment as at least he had some time in there (it seems not).

highveldtdrifter
26th Apr 2018, 19:28
Including my time in the ATC, Full Time, and Reserves, I have been in RAF uniform for very nearly 50 of the 100 yrs; still managed not to qualify for the LSGCM though. I have seen many bad calls in my time, from , however this takes some beating. Even the millennial grand snowflakes recognise our true roundel, and are dumbfounded by this.

Not only is this an embarrassment, but when I am involved with making hard cost cutting decisions impacting front line capability, how much cash was wasted on this vanity project?

S'land
27th Apr 2018, 11:56
Did PPRuNe get the same people who designed the 100 year RAF Logo to design this new website?

I think so, although bad as the RAF 100 "branding" is, the new PPRune site is even worse.

MPN11
27th Apr 2018, 14:33
I think so, although bad as the RAF 100 "branding" is, the new PPRune site is even worse.
The colour scheme is very “Monarch” ... oops!!

PICKS135
27th Apr 2018, 16:08
Belgian F-16 display aircraft is way better than a poxy sticker on the tail, and they arent even celebrating a birthday !! As for the other sticker - Bollocks

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v379/f4phixeruk/30420017_2059079404373911_4127238196680346373_o_zpsa5zuonjo. jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/f4phixeruk/media/30420017_2059079404373911_4127238196680346373_o_zpsa5zuonjo. jpg.html)

50+Ray
28th Apr 2018, 08:24
Agree with most of the above. What a waste of tax payers money! Expensively produced Bollocks.

oldmansquipper
28th Apr 2018, 10:55
Political entrance exam for air commodes?? (note the non use of capitals - as in the explanation blurb)

��

Danny42C
29th Apr 2018, 12:39
What in the name of all that's good and holy are "flexible future-focused visuals" ? This is a "flexible future-focused fcuk-up"

"I Don't Believe it", says Danny Meldrew - that I should live so long and see this stuck on the Service I love and in which I served the best years of my life !

Wander00
29th Apr 2018, 15:42
I do hope someone senior is reading this thread and getting the "message", but somehow I doubt it

MPN11
29th Apr 2018, 15:48
Sadly the days of Lord Tim G are long past :(

Martin the Martian
29th Apr 2018, 20:26
Nice to see that somebody can do a decent Typhoon display scheme for this year.

https://www.imgrum.pw/media/1768284069560234185

Davef68
29th Apr 2018, 22:19
Personally I agree TTN-He should have been married in the uniform of the service he was serving in-but tradition/protocol whatever deemed it so. I have to admit there was a degree of surprise that HRH was wearing Red not Blue on the big day, given his role. In fact if he was going to wear an army uniform, one might have expected that it would be that of his parent regiment as at least he had some time in there (it seems not).

I beleive the protocol is that he wears the uniform of the most senior rank he holds. Which in this case was Col in Chief. He at least wore his RAF wings on his Garter ribbon

S'land
30th Apr 2018, 11:15
MPN11
The colour scheme is very “Monarch” ... oops!!

Well, it is the Royal Air Force.

Wander00
30th Apr 2018, 13:02
Then make him Honorary Air Commodore of somewhere

cargosales
1st May 2018, 09:33
Nice to see that somebody can do a decent Typhoon display scheme for this year.

https://www.imgrum.pw/media/1768284069560234185

Now THAT is a colour scheme!!

Treble one
1st May 2018, 11:51
I beleive the protocol is that he wears the uniform of the most senior rank he holds. Which in this case was Col in Chief. He at least wore his RAF wings on his Garter ribbon

I think the Irish offered this to him just before the wedding was about to take place as well?

Dan Gerous
1st May 2018, 20:01
With all the hype about the RAF 100, the Dams raid 75th seems to have been overlooked. Seen a comment on another forum, that the Lanc is flying the Derwent on the 17th May around mid-day. Let's hope that doesn't go all corporate.

https://www.pprune.org/members/155383-dan-gerous-albums-100-lanc-picture1201-raf-100-lanc.jpg

Herod
1st May 2018, 21:33
Ref the Dam Busters, there is a newly remastered copy of the film being screened at the Royal Albert Hall on 17th May, including comments etc from various personalities. It's being streamed live to many cinemas. I've booked a seat at my local Odeon

https://www.royalalberthall.com/tickets/events/2018/the-dam-busters-with-dan-snow/

Barksdale Boy
2nd May 2018, 00:03
I've bought tickets for the Albert Hall for my daughter and granddaughter to be there; sadly I cannot join them - it should be a wonderful occasion.

cargosales
2nd May 2018, 00:03
With all the hype about the RAF 100, the Dams raid 75th seems to have been overlooked. Seen a comment on another forum, that the Lanc is flying the Derwent on the 17th May around mid-day. Let's hope that doesn't go all corporate.

https://www.pprune.org/members/155383-dan-gerous-albums-100-lanc-picture1201-raf-100-lanc.jpg

And THAT colour scheme is just BOLLOCKS. Shame on whoever flew it - they should have declared it U/S aka Not Fit for Purpose on the walkround

Out Of Trim
2nd May 2018, 01:43
Err, Photoshopped !

son of brommers
2nd May 2018, 07:24
Err, Photoshopped !

even the photoshop attempt is horsecrock!

NutLoose
2nd May 2018, 09:13
Jezz guys lighten up, its a good effort. Where did you see the info about the timing of the dams flight?

sangiovese.
2nd May 2018, 09:19
I’m still only seeing Pac-Man in that ridiculous logo

NutLoose
2nd May 2018, 09:33
Dambusters Anniversary Flight: Peak District National Park (http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/visiting/events-and-activities/dambusters-anniversary-flight)

ShyTorque
2nd May 2018, 09:52
I think the new "logo" has a whole range of uses. 25 metre, 300 metre, probably a bit small for the 600 metre range.

Dan Gerous
2nd May 2018, 11:39
even the photoshop attempt is horsecrock!

I know, I must have spent all of 10 minutes on it.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the link Nutloose, I got my info from UKAR. Hopefully I will be able to get down there for that.

Original pic is from Derwent 10 years ago. Now that was a commemoration.

son of brommers
2nd May 2018, 12:43
I know, I must have spent all of 10 minutes on it.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the link Nutloose, I got my info from UKAR. Hopefully I will be able to get down there for that.

Original pic is from Derwent 10 years ago. Now that was a commemoration.

My apologies DG, I'd mistakenly assumed (i know, ass u me) that the photo was from some official site. It's a better job than I could do with a 'puter.

Barksdale Boy
2nd May 2018, 13:29
I remember a similar flypast in 1980 and a very good party afterwards hosted by Rolls Royce and (I think) by Derbyshire County Council - we all got a great commemorative tie.

MPN11
2nd May 2018, 14:31
I do really think that what’s missing is any sort of DIGNITY.

But perhaps the yoof in meeja work don’t know that word.

langleybaston
2nd May 2018, 16:24
Or respect and self-respect.

gr4techie
2nd May 2018, 16:31
Err, Photoshopped !

Looking at the nose art, that photo is also a few seasons old.
The Lanc is no longer "Phantom of the Ruhr" but is now painted as "L for Leader" 460 Sqn RAAF

Dan Gerous
2nd May 2018, 19:05
My original shot was taken 10 years ago gr4techie.