PDA

View Full Version : China Tax

cattletruck
11th Apr 2018, 12:06
As the tariff war between China and the USA heats up, it got me thinking about our own local situation in Oz and how China are buying our farms, buying prominent properties, lending money for big infrastructure projects, and setting up companies which are all secretly backed by their own communist government rather than the result of true risk based entrepreneurship. Now the Indians are in on the same act. Unfortunately this economic phenomena is not just limited to Oz it is global.

All of this is quite legal of course because we are a free country, but it does skew the concept of having a fair opportunity at business success which is quite evident when bidding for a property at auction.

But before this economic phenomenon there was another one that was again caused by China - rampant pirating and not respecting copyright or patent laws.

How many billions of dollars have been lost by other countries because their intellectual property was stolen by China. Software, music, videos, illegal imitations flooding well established markets.

Forget the tariffs, can we just send China the bill for the damage they caused by the marauding actions of their recent past.

meadowrun
11th Apr 2018, 13:00
Sure.
Would have to be an itemized bill of course.
That would take some time to compile comprehensively.
The Chinese would question each charge.
The Chinese would dispute each charge.
The lawyers would still be in court in 2118.
Their free time would be spent rubbing their hands together.

Ancient Mariner
11th Apr 2018, 13:44
Just like Mexico is going to pay for the Wall of Trump, you mean?
Good luck, on both accounts.
Per

Mostly Harmless
11th Apr 2018, 22:43
I can't feel too sorry for a company that moved it's manufacturing to China to exploit cheap labour and then that same labour made several million copies of their own to sell in the grey/black market. Any company that wanted to stop or avoid such antics had a simple and effective way of doing so, by moving that manufacturing back into a jurisdiction where they could use the laws to take care of any such pirating of patents and copyrights. Of course, this would have cut into your profit on an $800 purse if it cost you $20 to make it instead of $2.

Honestly, these companies have no one to blame but themselves.

racedo
11th Apr 2018, 22:47
Forget the tariffs, can we just send China the bill for the damage they caused by the marauding actions of their recent past.

Irony much.

So what did Australian Govt say when Aborigines asked for the same ?
Oh Yeah is was "You can F:EK right off there"

llondel
12th Apr 2018, 03:02
Any company that wanted to stop or avoid such antics had a simple and effective way of doing so, by moving that manufacturing back into a jurisdiction where they could use the laws to take care of any such pirating of patents and copyrights.

No, the way to avoid it is to not manufacture in China at all. Moving it out of China is too late, they've already got the information.

At a previous employer it was interesting to see a competing Chinese product that had one of the key features of ours. Obviously we bought a couple to tear down. It was interesting to note that while most of it was slightly different, one of the PCBs had one of our company part numbers etched into the copper so they clearly missed that one when filing off the numbers.

cattletruck
12th Apr 2018, 11:47
I should state that I actually do like Chinese culture but am very unimpressed with their government just like many Chinese immigrants.

The East got a leg up thanks to the openness of the West - that's actually a good thing in a modern sense. But rather than reciprocate this gesture, their government is still stuck in the past with dominance on their main agenda - I guess a government run by old colonels would set that as a high priority.

As a Westerner I've now grown tired of this unlevel playing field that they have created on my turf. I've had enough - tax them.