PDA

View Full Version : How Luton and Stansted gave the UK cheap airfares

LTNman
11th Apr 2018, 04:35
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/comment/in-defence-of-stansted-airport-snobbery/

When 23 Russian diplomats were expelled from the UK in the wake of the Salisbury spy poisoning, social media was abuzz with banter that having Stansted as their point of departure was as harsh a punitive measure as any economic sanction imposed on our eastern adversaries.

The joke is, in case you missed it, that flying from Essex’s claim to a London airport is a tortuous, humiliating experience, and that anyone with any self-respect would only ever grace the likes of Heathrow or City.

Such snobbery is no rarity in a city that boasts six airports (seven if you count London Oxford) of varying stature.

Broadly speaking, Heathrow, the seventh busiest terminal in the world, is more than acceptable because of its prestige, and a bona fide Tube connection; Gatwick is, too, thanks to its standing as second in the UK and a location suiting the green, monied hills of Surrey. City is a different beast and synonymous with the financial capital from which it takes its name. It is an airport choice that raises eyebrows as impressed as they are curious: are you far more important than I think you are?

Then we come to the butt of jokes: Luton and Stansted.

The northern pair - Luton to the west, Stansted to the east - seem to elicit caveats if not jokes when visited by a certain type of traveller: it was the only airport serving Bydgoszcz; I can stay at my gran’s the night before; I wanted to mix with the Great Unwashed.

But these two airports are key to supporting the growing desire for air travel in the south of England and help reduce the already-low cost of flying. Without them, low-cost airlines such as Ryanair and Easyjet, as well as the likes of Jet2 and Wizz, would not have had the room - or cash - to establish themselves and offer £20 flights to the Continent.

Luton certainly suffers the worst image problem. Not least because of its link to a city regularly appearing on the podium of Britain’s Crap Town awards (in 2004 it was voted the worst town in the UK). The Bedfordshire hub is also without its own train station, so all travellers from London must board a permanent rail-replacement shuttle bus from the Parkway (though this will be rectified in 2021 with the introduction of £200million direct link).

An eternity-long redevelopment of the terminal building has busied the airport approach with road works and hoardings, while the dirtying orange of the Easyjet HQ monstrosity does nothing for holiday ambiance. And is it just me, or does it always rain in Luton?

But, jeez, it’s only an airport. Once inside, your experience will not be so different to other London terminals as to rage at Luton for being “a canker on the soul” (Anthony Reed, Google reviews, 2018), or for boasting the “worst customer service in the world” (Kit Bienias, Google reviews, 2018). And I can bet that your flight is either cheaper than flying from anywhere else, or does not exist elsewhere.

Don’t get me wrong, Luton is not perfect (£3 for 10 minutes drop-off parking) but it did drop that £1 charge for security liquid bags. So, it’s trying - plus it’s the only London airport that doesn’t offer a rip-off “express” link from the capital that’s twice as expensive as a normal rail ticket but only seven minutes faster (this may change in 2021).

Stansted, on the other hand, is far more pleasant than airport snobs would have you believe.

The airport does boast its own train station, just 30 minutes from the Victoria Line at Tottenham Hale, or a little longer into Liverpool Street, and is currently gleaming from an £80 million redevelopment of its terminal building, originally designed by Norman Foster.

The Essex airport now offers as wide and impressive a range of food and drink options as its south London brethren. Sure, it is a smaller airport, with just the one runway, though the walk through duty-free is as long as a second, but it welcomes 26 million people a year and its growth rate is higher than that of Gatwick. It will reach its current cap of 35 million in five years and has applied for permission to raise its capacity to 43 million, just two short of Gatwick today. Last year, flag carrier British Airways announced it would begin flying from Stansted for the first time in its history.

When discussing this article with friends, one ventured of Stansted: "It’s ok if you want to fly to some obscure eastern European city”. Or New York, or Toronto, or Dubai, or Jamaica. With the growth of low-cost, long-haul, smaller airports are offering airlines a chance to challenge the status quo and it is surely not long until Luton champions its own transatlantic route.

As the saga of Heathrow’s third airport trundles on, the likes of Stansted, Luton, and even Southend, have never been more important to the capital’s holidaymakers. Being openly snooty about a friend or colleague’s travel destination would never be considered acceptable, while pomposity surrounding flying budget airlines is on the wane.

It’s time we embrace our second-choice airports, as well as the third, fourth and fifth.

So there you have it. Those with empty pockets that moan about the two London Airports should keep:oh::oh::oh: AS without those airports they would probably be not flying even from airports like Gatwick.

Luton and Stansted combined had almost 42 million passengers last year.

vrb03kt
11th Apr 2018, 06:54
Transatlantic from Luton sounds a bit fanciful...

jumpseater
11th Apr 2018, 08:16

:rolleyes:

They’ve done it before, I’ve no doubt they’ll do them again.;)

compton3bravo
11th Apr 2018, 08:16
It has happened before! Suggest you do a bit of research before making such rash statements!

toledoashley
11th Apr 2018, 08:22
Excessive queues, overcrowding, poor design and maintenance - surely people would have a right to complain?

toledoashley
11th Apr 2018, 08:23
veb03kt - Also worth noting that although it was a while ago, JetBlue has looked round Luton while planning possible t/a ops.

LTNman
11th Apr 2018, 09:42
Excessive queues, overcrowding, poor design and maintenance - surely people would have a right to complain?

That's a very good point. I have always been somewhat scathing regarding Luton and its cram them in attitude but the Telegraph makes a valid point that if it wasn't for Stansted and Luton most of those people complaining would not be traveling in the first place.

What would have happened to Ryanair and Easyjet's business model if it wasn't for both these airports. Wizz and now Jet 2 would have been excluded from the London market.

Might be the case of put up and shut up or don't travel.

Fairdealfrank
19th Apr 2018, 23:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrb03kt https://www.pprune.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (https://www.pprune.org/airlines-airports-routes/607647-how-luton-stansted-gave-uk-cheap-airfares.html#post10114163)

:rolleyes:

They’ve done it before, I’ve no doubt they’ll do them again.

Not doing it now. Why? Went belly-up. Doubt it will happen again.

canberra97
20th Apr 2018, 18:38
veb03kt - Also worth noting that although it was a while ago, JetBlue has looked round Luton while planning possible t/a ops.

JetBlue had supposedly looked at other airports including Manchester and Stansted so don't build your hopes up just because they were apparently at Luton, airline development and planning departments look at other airports all the time that's part their job!

Hotel Tango
20th Apr 2018, 19:05
Not doing it now. Why? Went belly-up. Doubt it will happen again.

Went belly-up pretty quick too. But, to be fair, were they not Premium Class only flights? LTN might work for North Atlantic cattle flights?

LGS6753
20th Apr 2018, 19:25
Whilst Silverjet went bankrupt, La Compagnie are still operating from Paris.

Cattle class from Luton could only operate on narrow-bodies or 757s that have the ability to combine necessary range with a 7000 ft runway.

easyflyer83
21st Apr 2018, 18:28
It’s slightly bull. Luton and Stansted long stays have, for years, been full of BMW’s, Merc’s and Audi’s. There maybe some off the cuff snobbery but ultimately the low costs (and their airports) are more affluent than many would have you believe. But... the level of affluence is not related to the airport you are flying from or airline you are flying but the destination you are visiting.

southside bobby
21st Apr 2018, 19:35
Astute comment there easyflyer...

I have witnessed many many well known faces thru STN on EZY & RYR!...

None of them with their profile being short of a bob or two!...

pax britanica
21st Apr 2018, 20:19
It was once snobbery but for short haul flights I think the choice comes down to where you live. For Long haul everyone is mostly stuck with LHR

if you live in say Horsham a flight from Stansted would be silly only it was about 10% of the fare and vv . you can get to Luton by train sort of but again why.

For me, in west Surrey, LHR is nearly always best because by the time you have added everything on and added the transport cost and M25 uncertainty LHR is usually the best choice even if at first glance it looks by far the most
expensive.

Alternatively of course you could view LGW and LHR as Surreys airports. they both adjoin Surrey even if they are (just) in London and Sussex. Therefore the BMs and Mercs in the car parks their are superior to those in Stanstead which probably belong to the Essex criminal classes whereas the west/south airports versions belong to respectable 'professionals'

(that is just a joke of course)

rationalfunctions
15th May 2018, 03:36
Went belly-up pretty quick too. But, to be fair, were they not Premium Class only flights? LTN might work for North Atlantic cattle flights?

With such a short runway I suspect it is challenging to operate longer haul cattle class with a decent payload, which is why premium only worked operationally (if not economically!) . Suspect their LTN to TLV flights are probably near the top end of the limits