PDA

View Full Version : Brake release after landing

AeroSpark
10th Apr 2018, 19:33
Flew back into Bournemouth yesterday on the TUI 738. First off if any of you read this thanks to the crew for another safe enjoyable flight.
We landed with a bit of a bump, no surprise there given the runway was wet. Brakes/reversers etc applied straight away as expected, however it then felt like the braking action slowed somewhat for a second or two, before being re applied perhaps a bit stronger. Just wondered what the cause might be as I've never felt that happen before? Anti skid system perhaps?

Doors to Automatic
10th Apr 2018, 22:52
More than likely the release of the autobrakes which is done by tapping the brakes manually once the aircraft has slowed down a bit. Usually done to shorten or prolong the landing roll, sometimes to make a particular exit.

In this case I suspect a high level of autobrake was initially set in case the weather affected braking action and then disengaged once deemed no longer necessary.

krismiler
11th Apr 2018, 00:17
The pilot may have landed with auto brakes selected and subsequently applied the brakes manually which would have initially disconnected the auto brakes and then reapplied braking at a higher rate.

Possibly he was trying to make a particular turn off from the runway and needed to slow down a bit more.

togsdragracing
11th Apr 2018, 09:15
Is it a big issue if you miss a particular exit off a runway? This is curiosity on my part, not sarcasm :)

Cirrussy
11th Apr 2018, 09:21
It is a big issue if air traffic have asked you to make a particular turn off, or your tea is going cold... etc

AeroSpark
11th Apr 2018, 11:53
The pilot may have landed with auto brakes selected and subsequently applied the brakes manually which would have initially disconnected the auto brakes and then reapplied braking at a higher rate.

Possibly he was trying to make a particular turn off from the runway and needed to slow down a bit more.

Thanks, that would make perfect sense. At bournemouth i think there is only one turn off at the eastern end so if you miss it its taxi to the end and backtrack.

togsdragracing
11th Apr 2018, 12:06
As said if instructed to make an exit you may be out of sequence on the ground and may need to wait. Some runways also have significant distance between exits so it may be an issue for the guy behind if the plan was for you to be out of the way. If you think you are going to miss it stop braking as hard and keep the speed to the next exit is the accepted method.

Thank you kindly :)