PDA

View Full Version : Noise isolation

Aniol
10th Apr 2018, 17:17
It would be interesting to know how do you deal with noise when flying and how do you protect yourselves against it.

What is your experience flying with ear plugs or similar? What is your favourite solution: simple ear plugs, custom moulded, CEP kits…?

Thanks in advance,

Flying Bull
10th Apr 2018, 18:07
wear a helmet, a proper fitting one, if possible with gel ear cushions.
Keeps the noise out 😉

Hawkeye0001
11th Apr 2018, 08:20
A CEP kit wins for me hands down, as the ANR-headsets I used so far all had trouble coping with any wind in the cockpit (e.g. doors-off ops or wearing sunglasses since the slightest ear seal breach destroyed most of the ANR effect).
I've got CEP's with a Clarity Aloft headset (super lightweight and an absolute pleasure to wear!) and in my helmet (ear cups + CEP = Zen-like tranquility :) )

ShyTorque
11th Apr 2018, 08:28
The only option I have is the ANR headset fitted to the aircraft. A helmet would be better but unfortunately it's not the "done thing" in my line of business.

Evil Twin
11th Apr 2018, 08:40
Alpha helmet with CEP. CEP with the moulded ear tips is the absolute best and I will be replacing mine soon as the originals have died of over-use 2000+ hrs over 5 years

Aniol
11th Apr 2018, 10:10
I use a helmet and I used to fly with custom moulded ear tips. I lost one of the filters and they apperently couldn't find spare parts for that model.
I could go for a similar moulded tip as I was very happy with the isolation but I am also curious about the CEP kits, and the price seems to be nearly de same.

Thanks for your opinions!

SuperF
11th Apr 2018, 21:05
Alpha helmet with CEP. CEP with the moulded ear tips is the absolute best and I will be replacing mine soon as the originals have died of over-use 2000+ hrs over 5 years

ET, How long should the CEPs last on average? If you are doing 5-800 hrs per year will you only get two or three years out of them?

Evil Twin
11th Apr 2018, 21:55
SuperF, not entirely sure as it was the moulded tips not the wires that have given up the ghost. Equally as I did around 800hrs of instructing during that time they were in and out every 1.2 - 2.0 hrs so saw a lot of 'action'. If you were using them for a significant period without removal I'd expect to see a much greater life span.

The moulded tips for me were a game changer reducing noise and increasing comfort. The only occasional problem was in equalising when coming down from altitude (8-10K) as the moulded tips create a good seal in the ear canal, nothing a well placed finger couldn't sort out though.

Cheers

HeliRich
12th Apr 2018, 00:38
I have been using the foam air tips. Is there anyone that has gone from those to the custom moulded that can speak about differences? Is it worth the upgrade?

Vertical Freedom
12th Apr 2018, 02:25
NorthWall Helmet with ANR does the trick....bit hot in the tropics, but at least the ole bollard & hearing is protected :ouch:

Evil Twin
12th Apr 2018, 03:01
I have been using the foam air tips. Is there anyone that has gone from those to the custom moulded that can speak about differences? Is it worth the upgrade?

Yes, definitely

Adam Nams
12th Apr 2018, 03:26

Seconded. As a winchop/winchman operating in the noisy door environment, they are the 'dogs do dahs'. However, I have heard that some pilots don't like them as they can be too good at isolating aircraft noise (Nr changes in particular).

tucumseh
12th Apr 2018, 09:36
However, I have heard that some pilots don't like them as they can be too good at isolating aircraft noise (Nr changes in particular). This is precisely why generic noise reduction systems should not be used. The first integrated system used in MoD UK was a slight compromise, because pilots needed to hear audio cues, and noise was different depending on which seat you were in. Overall, it met the legal limit of the day (85dB(A)). But that system (in Sea King AEW Mk2) was less efficient in a Mk4, and no use at all in a Lynx; but purely by coincidence ok in a Sea Harrier. When the programmable digital system was developed in 1998, this overcame most problems, as the intention was to 'blow' your helmet for whatever use you had that day. That system was designed to meet the new standard of 75dB(A). You also have to address both damaging and annoying noise.

From various threads here it is clear some still use broadband systems. They're fine for passengers, but not aircrew. You should always specify use before buying. I know some years ago the likes of Bose completely toppled when this was explained to them.

TwinHueyMan
12th Apr 2018, 12:05
CEPs all the way, have em in my helmets and my headset. I use Surefire EP3s/EP4s in place of the foamies at a fraction of the cost of custom molds. The increased clarity of the radios means I can turn the volume of comms way down, which allows me to hear the NR. I get anywhere from 1-3 years out of a set of wires, though the newest design seems to be quite the update and may last even longer.

I also have "Hear Through" on one of my helmets which is amazing, especially for startups.

Steer clear of Gibson & Barnes CEP stuff, it's knock off crap and falls apart. Stick with CEP USA.

Mike

HeliRich
12th Apr 2018, 16:13
Thanks for the info and advice guys!

whoknows idont
12th Apr 2018, 22:13
I also have "Hear Through" on one of my helmets which is amazing, especially for startups.

I have something similar on my beloved Phonak FreeCom 7100. They call it "adjustable ambient awareness". It doesn't attenuate lower sounds but only those above an adjustable level. It practically caps the volume. So it's a bit more sophisticated then a simple hear through. Really takes the edge off.
A bit like the living room friendly audio mastering of a TV show where the differences between lower and higher volumes is not as large compared to a movie.
Very smart feature, I could walk around with that all day.

TwinHueyMan
13th Apr 2018, 17:03
I have something similar on my beloved Phonak FreeCom 7100. They call it "adjustable ambient awareness". It doesn't attenuate lower sounds but only those above an adjustable level. It practically caps the volume. So it's a bit more sophisticated then a simple hear through. Really takes the edge off.

From what I know about hear through, it does something similar. It's not an adjustable threshold, but it won't let any high decibel sounds through (eg gunshots). Practical use means when I walk back to a running machine with it flipped on, it gates the loud parts.

Funny enough, when we were first getting the kit back in Uncle Sam's Flying Circus, the rumor was you could flip it on in-flight and whisper cross cockpit to each other. Yeah, that didn't happen.

Mike