PDA

View Full Version : Aeros Flight School / UK Modular Schools

P.loops
10th Apr 2018, 11:31
Good afternoon, I am writing today to ask if anyone has any reviews / experiences from Aeros Flight school?

I am a modular student who is just finishing off their ATPLs at CAE Oxford, and looking for a flight school to take me from two flying hours up to MCC/JOC.

Having done my research I have found that Aeros is a school what would suit my needs the best, but I have not yet found any personal comments about the school.

If anyone has any other recommendations of other modular flight schools based in the UK please feel free to let me know.

Thank you very much in advance.

MaverickPrime
10th Apr 2018, 16:29
The FTE flightdeck plus course is currently closed for 2018. This will be reviewed later in the year. Current price for it is circa £42,500.

I would also be interested if anyone can provide more feedback on Aeros.

paco
10th Apr 2018, 16:38
From the dealings we've had with them, they seem to be worth a look. But it's a personal thing - you need to go and look for yourself.

PelicanSquawk
11th Apr 2018, 16:56
Good afternoon, I am writing today to ask if anyone has any reviews / experiences from Aeros Flight school?

I am a modular student who is just finishing off their ATPLs at CAE Oxford, and looking for a flight school to take me from two flying hours up to MCC/JOC.

Having done my research I have found that Aeros is a school what would suit my needs the best, but I have not yet found any personal comments about the school.

If anyone has any other recommendations of other modular flight schools based in the UK please feel free to let me know.

Thank you very much in advance.

If you don't mind me asking, how have you almost finished your ATPL exams if you only have 2 flying hours? I thought you must have a PPL in order to enrol in a school for ATPL's, unless doing it integrated (which you've said you're not)?

Thanks

Simon

Alex Whittingham
11th Apr 2018, 20:56
I think Simon's point is that is not compliant with the EASA regulations in Part-FCL which require one to hold a PPL before starting the modular CPL/ATPL theory. If oxford are doing that they should be stopped, as every other modular student needs flying experience at least to PPL standard before they approach the professional theory, the better to understand it. Most start with 50 to 70 hours.

In principle the integrated courses should also 'integrate' the groundschool with flying. Unfortunately by accident or design that bit was not written into the regulations and so commercial advantage was taken, resulting in the poor students having to learn all the ATPL theory before they have ever set foot in an aircraft, a training plan that could never be described as best practice and does appear to be reflected in the higher pass rates for modular students, even without 'selection'.

PelicanSquawk
11th Apr 2018, 23:06
I think Simon's point is that is not compliant with the EASA regulations in Part-FCL which require one to hold a PPL before starting the modular CPL/ATPL theory. If oxford are doing that they should be stopped, as every other modular student needs flying experience at least to PPL standard before they approach the professional theory, the better to understand it. Most start with 50 to 70 hours.

In principle the integrated courses should also 'integrate' the groundschool with flying. Unfortunately by accident or design that bit was not written into the regulations and so commercial advantage was taken, resulting in the poor students having to learn all the ATPL theory before they have ever set foot in an aircraft, a training plan that could never be described as best practice and does appear to be reflected in the higher pass rates for modular students, even without 'selection'.

That's interesting, it seems then that the OP may have started an integrated course, and is now deciding to only do the ATPL portion of that course, and then switch to modular?

I am approaching the end of my PPL, and should hopefully take my exam soon, then I will be enrolling with you guys at BG.

Happy Wanderer
12th Apr 2018, 11:42

I can't believe CAE OAA would be doing that Alex and indeed their website clearly states that an ICAO PPL is required before starting the ATPL exams at as you rightly say https://programs.caeoxfordinteractive.com/program/view/27

As an aside and as a working ATO FI, I've got numerous examples of Integrated students having either 'jumped' or been 'pushed' off the Integrated programme part-way through the ATPL exam phase, either due to repeated exam failures or not completing the exams within the 18 month timeframe. They typically then enrol as a PPL student at a different ATO, expecting any ATPL passes they may have as credits towards the PPL exams. The CAA do NOT allow for this however and all nine PPL exams must be completed afresh.

The OP simply cannot be at the stage of completing the ATPL exams on a modular basis with two hrs flying experience. It can't be done, legally anyway.

HW

B61
17th Apr 2018, 11:12
If a student has been on an Integrated course and does not continue as an Integrated student after the groundschool phase and exams, for whatever reason ( personal, family, financial), then their exam results will be valid for issue of a CPL/ IR, provided that is within 36 months of the end of the last exam. That looks to be the situation in this instance. He can now continue Modular.

The next step is for him to do his PPL. He will not have to do the PPL ground exams, the ATPL level passes will be accepted. Saves him wasting a few hours doing the PPL ground exams on morning.

After that he needs his 100 hours PIC, and any extra to get the 169 hours required prior to starting a Modular CPL/MEP/IR course.

In other words, the ATPL exam passes cannot be revoked just because of a change of route.

Doing all the ATPL exams "up front" has its downsides, but it does save wasted money and time on flight training if someone is going to struggle with, or just cannot pass, the academics.