PDA

View Full Version : Turøy two years on

birmingham
10th Apr 2018, 09:45
At the end of this month it will be two years since the accident that to all intents and purposes ended the use of the EC 255 LP in the North Sea. Does anyone know if we can expect the final report anytime soon or are the AIBN just planning to issue an update to mark the second anniversary? It seems to me that as time goes by we may never get to the bottom of the definitive cause of the gearbox failure.

pa-18
10th Apr 2018, 12:39
The report is schedueled to be out on the 29/4, at least what the loval news in Norway says. The report is sent involved part`s, i hope this not will delay it....

birmingham
11th Apr 2018, 21:19
The report is schedueled to be out on the 29/4, at least what the loval news in Norway says. The report is sent involved part`s, i hope this not will delay it.... Will it be the Final Report though or just the annual update?

domperry
19th Apr 2018, 13:38
Norwegian investigators say that the final report has been issued to all parties for comments, and that the feedback is now being processed/incorporated. They also said that the final report will not be out for the second anniversary but will be released "before the summer".

birmingham
19th Apr 2018, 19:00
Ok. Let's hope they have managed to make progress. V difficult investigation.

domperry
20th Apr 2018, 12:53
Not sure how much progress has been made. AIBN didn't want to comment whether a root cause had been traced, and a Norwegian aviation journalist I spoke to the other week thought they hadn't.

etudiant
21st Apr 2018, 00:41
Not sure how much progress has been made. AIBN didn't want to comment whether a root cause had been traced, and a Norwegian aviation journalist I spoke to the other week thought they hadn't.

Surely AH would have been eager to tell the world that the root cause had been found. Hearing nothing, we can safely assume that it remains undetermined.

Concentric
24th Apr 2018, 09:37
Update (https://www.aibn.no/Aviation/Investigations/16-286) today from AIBN:

"A draft of the final report on the tragic accident near Turøy has been for consultation with the parties involved in the investigation. The consultation period is over and the AIBN is working on the comments. It is solely the AIBN’s decision whether or not a comment shall be accepted and incorporated into the final report. This is a laborious and time-consuming process, which will also involve clarifications and consultation with external contributors.

At the time being, we are unable to present a firm date for publication of the report. The work will continue without letup until the final report is ready for publication".

birmingham
24th Apr 2018, 13:21
Update (https://www.aibn.no/Aviation/Investigations/16-286) today from AIBN:

"A draft of the final report on the tragic accident near Turøy has been for consultation with the parties involved in the investigation. The consultation period is over and the AIBN is working on the comments. It is solely the AIBN’s decision whether or not a comment shall be accepted and incorporated into the final report. This is a laborious and time-consuming process, which will also involve clarifications and consultation with external contributors.

At the time being, we are unable to present a firm date for publication of the report. The work will continue without letup until the final report is ready for publication".

Well it does clarify that this is the final report; so either they will have definitive conclusions, or have decided that further investigation is unlikely to shed significantly more light on this. Let's hope it is the former.