PDA

View Full Version : We Stood In Shock and Disbelief.

John_Reid
9th Apr 2018, 11:51
Last week the "refuge/recycling operatives" smashed our recycling paper bin. Considering they are capable of breaking ball bearings, it wasn't surprising really.

I complained to the council via the online website and the response was, they would get back to us within 10 days. No surprise there. Before lunch time the very next day a council van pulled up at the gate and delivered a new bin and they even took away the broken bin for us.

My wife and I couldn't believe it. we though we were hallucinating.

I will not have a bad word said against our dear council again!!:}

meadowrun
9th Apr 2018, 11:55
Don't worry. I'm sure they'll screw up big time for you in the near future.

Fareastdriver
9th Apr 2018, 11:57
Probably the wrong address.

sitigeltfel
9th Apr 2018, 12:12
Wait till you get the invoice!

;)

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Apr 2018, 12:25
Our City Rangers got the new bin delivery job, because they didn't work to any fixed schedule and could do whatever was needed wherever in their patch. One day they were taking a new bin to a punter when they can across a dead swan in the road. Rather than having it rolling around loose in the back of their van, they put it in this bin that they conveniently happened to have with them, in order to take it to wherever it is you dispose of dead swans.

So the punter got their new bin OK, but never knew that it was a bit second hand rather than new, having been used as a receptacle for a dead swan.

meadowrun
9th Apr 2018, 12:36
Aren't you supposed to phone the Palace to let them know one of their flyers has gone in?

Hydromet
9th Apr 2018, 12:41
Similar thing happened to me. Collectors smashed neighbour's and my bins. I rang council, they said they'd replace them the next day & have a word to the operators. Sure enough, next day both bins were replaced - no cost.

Dunno what's happening, maybe it's the change in climate.

pilotmike
9th Apr 2018, 13:06
Same thing here - food bin smashed into a wall so hard it smashed.

I complained to the council, and it was replaced the very next day.

Next collection day, both the food bin and the plastic recycling bin had gone missing. A quick review of the CCTV showed the same imbecile hurling them straight into the lorry instead of emptying them as per SOP.

Complaint number two to the council, and 2 news bins dutifully delivered the very next day.

Two weeks later, ANOTHER 2 bins missing - you guessed it - the CCTV showed the same idiot slinging both bins into the lorry again. The council said they were in the process of renegotiating the contract with Suez, apologies for this idiot's actions, and could they have the CCTV evidence for the disciplinary he was being called for.

5 bins replaced in just 3 weeks, and the cost of these being driven out and personally delivered by management by car; quite some cost if repeated up and down the country, just for the entertainment and titillation of a bored operative!

And we wonder why our Council Tax bills increase so much every year!

I am all in favour of jobs being available for every ability and educational level, but clearly emptying the bins was way beyond this moron's capability. I just wonder what job he'll be deliberately sabotaging next after his inevitable dismissal from bin-emptying?

ZFT
9th Apr 2018, 13:10
Same thing here - food bin smashed into a wall so hard it smashed.

I complained to the council, and it was replaced the very next day.

Next collection day, both the food bin and the plastic recycling bin had gone missing. A quick review of the CCTV showed the same imbecile hurling them straight into the lorry instead of emptying them as per SOP.

Complaint number two to the council, and 2 news bins dutifully delivered the very next day.

Two weeks later, ANOTHER 2 bins missing - you guessed it - the CCTV showed the same idiot slinging both bins into the lorry again. The council said they were in the process of renegotiating the contract with Suez, apologies for this idiot's actions, and could they have the CCTV evidence for the disciplinary he was being called for.

5 bins replaced in just 3 weeks, and the cost of these being driven out and personally delivered by management by car; quite some cost if repeated up and down the country, just for the entertainment and titillation of a bored operative!

And we wonder why our Council Tax bills increase so much every year!

I am all in favour of jobs being available for every ability and educational level, but clearly emptying the bins was way beyond this moron's capability. I just wonder what job he'll be deliberately sabotaging next after his inevitable dismissal from bin-emptying?

Politician?

G-CPTN
9th Apr 2018, 13:26
I just wonder what job he'll be deliberately sabotaging next after his inevitable dismissal from bin-emptying?

Grave digging?

meadowrun
9th Apr 2018, 13:49
Politician?

Sleeve Wing
9th Apr 2018, 16:38
I just wonder what job he'll be deliberately sabotaging next after his inevitable dismissal from bin-emptying?[/QUOTE]

One way of getting yourself back on cushy benefits again ! Or can you get dole these days if you’ve deliberately made yourself unemployed ?

PS. How do you guys get the lovely blue shading behind the quote ??

G-CPTN
9th Apr 2018, 16:47
How do you guys get the lovely blue shading behind the quote ??

Write the text between the two square-bracketed words.

UniFoxOs
9th Apr 2018, 16:52
Select the text by click and swipe then click the balloon at the right of the icons above the reply pane.

ehwatezedoing
9th Apr 2018, 18:24
PS. How do you guys get the lovely blue shading behind the quote ??

What!? Sabotaging your quotes since 1999 and 600+ posts ?
“Food Bin Trasher” is not your cousin by any chance ? :p

ricardian
9th Apr 2018, 18:42
Orkney Islands Council has 20,000 inhabitants and 9,500 spare wheelie bins. (https://www.orcadian.co.uk/spares-bins-cost-oic-188000/)
Here on Stronsay and most of the other Northern Isles we still use black plastic bags as there's no refuse collection vehicle to handle wheelie bins. We have been advised that we can request a wheelie bin in which to store our black plastic bags of rubbish prior to putting them out on the roadside every Tuesday when the island's haulier drives around with his lorry, collecting the full bags.

Fareastdriver
9th Apr 2018, 18:46
It stops the gulls getting at them.

meadowrun
9th Apr 2018, 19:18
Bears here. But extra special wheelie bins are needed for them!

ORAC
9th Apr 2018, 19:23
Here in central Brighton we don’t do recycling.

Two large wheelie bins on the corner, one unmarked the other marked for “non-recyclable” with has a list including everything produced by urban man. Everyone brings down bin bags from apartments in buildings and puts in first - and when it is full the second.

The area is around the bins is then filled in with everything else that people throw out such as mattresses, old shelves etc.

Every morning the bin lorry comes around and everything in both bins, and everything around them, is thrown in the same lorry and driven away.

If there is a missed day the seagulls get at the bags and the road, with a bus every 5 minutes, gets covered with the contents which is spread up and down the road.....

The two local MPs are Labour and the only Green MP in the country....

Pontius Navigator
9th Apr 2018, 20:05
Lid broke on our green bin. Now we didn't pay for green waste as we had compost bins and bonfire. Rang council, New lid delivered and fitted.

Glass recycling, green, Brown, white. Truck arrived, green glass in truck, Brown glass in truck, white glass . . . Now we don't segregate.

Who washes bottles and cans? Who unwraps plastic wrapped magazines? Who tears out Windows from envelopes?

G-CPTN
9th Apr 2018, 20:12
On a recent visit to London, we had our picnic in St James' Park, after which I separated our 'rubbish' into the appropriate bins.
Along comes the truck and both bins were tipped into the same place. :ugh:

ExSp33db1rd
10th Apr 2018, 03:43
Same here, I'm convinced that rubbish and recyclable stuff is all put in the same landfill anyway.

Our council removed the free recycle centre in the town, now one fills purchased bags for weekly kerbside collection, , or drives 40 Km to the recycling collection centre, where is is still free. Council now wonder why they have to spend so much money tidying up local fields and forests.

Tankertrashnav
10th Apr 2018, 10:55
Who washes bottles and cans? Who unwraps plastic wrapped magazines? Who tears out Windows from envelopes?

I do. Ok, I lied about the windows in envelopes!

goudie
10th Apr 2018, 11:19
My Council appears to be quite genuine about recycling, at least,I would liked to think so. We’re now going to have a separate caddy for food waste instead of putting it in the garden bin (for which we’re now going to be charged £40 per annum if we want garden waste collected)
Ditto TTN

G-CPTN
10th Apr 2018, 11:56
Our council also now charges for garden waste collection (£36 per bin) - whereas, originally, this was financed by sales of composted waste to residents.

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Apr 2018, 12:22
Same here, I'm convinced that rubbish and recyclable stuff is all put in the same landfill anyway.
Usually they go to different places.

Sometimes they go to the same place but get sorted (even the residual waste is likely to go through a sorting process these days, it's just cheaper and easier if some pre-sorting is done by the punter).

Even when there is, temporarily or in unusual cases, nothing that can be done with the recycling bin other than send it to landfill, it's still worth keeping the punters in the habit of separating waste, for all the other occasions when the recycling bin doesn't go to landfill.

cargosales
10th Apr 2018, 13:19
My sister has 9, yes 9! waste & recycling wheelie bins. Ok, she lives in Oz where things are a bit different and with a growing family needs a couple of duplicate bins e.g. 2 x general waste + 2 x paper & cardboard etc but the point remains.

If they can manage downunder to empty all those different ones into separate bin lorries because they've been pre-sorted by the householder, why can't we do the same here?

Smeagol
10th Apr 2018, 13:47
The collection arrangements for recyclables in Cornwall are not very user friendly. No hard 'wheelie bin' for these items, just a collection of the 'woven plastic bags' (no idea of the correct terminology). I think there are 3 of them (Not sure because I never use them) one for cans, one for paper and the other for plastic or some combination of this.

The problem is I have a very small holiday cottage ( Don't flame me for being a second home owner, my wife was born there and I grew up there so lay off!:=:=) which has no room in the house for these 3 bulky and probably dirty bags so they have to be stored outside where they get wet and any paper or cardboard turns to useless and unrecyclable mush. Even if stored inside on wet collection days most will end up with useless wet paper after only a couple of hours outside.
I am sure there are thousands of small homes in most Cornish towns and villages with similar problems. Insufficient space to store the cumbersome recycling receptacles.

My problems are compounded by using the property as a holiday let. Do most people on holiday sort their rubbish into 4 separate containers, 3 of them with absolutely nowhere to store them? No, of course they do not they throw it all in the same bin (as I do when I am there).

Brilliant thinking Cornwall Council, I expect the collection contract went to the lowest bidder with little thought to the practicalities involved for a large number of the council tax paying public.

Idiots!

Fareastdriver
10th Apr 2018, 14:34
Recycling in China is dead easy; just throw it out of the window.

All the landfill dumps have a resident hamlet where the rubbish sorters live. They scavenge every truckload of rubbish and periodically cart it off to the local scrap metal/ paper/plastic recyclers. Getting rid of larger items is simply a case of getting the block's security guard to call in a passing rag & bone man who will offload it from you quite often for cash.

Their main income are discarded water bottles. They get 10 fen each so a hundred, a couples of hours work, brings in 10 yuan. 1,200 yuan/month is OK to them.

(The bottles are often filled with tap water and resold so in China always check the seal and don't let the helpful vendor open it for you)

WilliumMate
10th Apr 2018, 14:52
Many councils (but not all) have abrogated responsibility for bin collections. The service is put out to tender and one or another of the usual culprits bids cheap and gets the contract. Agency workers are then used extensively as the contractor has no wish to pay NI, pension contributions, holiday pay, sick pay and all the other costs shouldered by reputable employers. The poor buggers doing the lifting and shifting have zero job security and as a consequence do the minimum they have to, with little overall care. You get what you pay for.

G-CPTN
10th Apr 2018, 18:56
Our domestic refuse collections are all done by the council, but trade collections are done by a private contractor based 40 miles away. AFAICT, there is no trade recycling, and all the bottles from pubs are mixed in with the landfill rubbish - and carted 40 miles away when the vehicle is full.

There is also strict demarcation, and the trade collectors will not take bags left out by householders (two 'half' bags left by the council). They split the bags to see whether it was trade rubbish and decided it wasn't (from the hairdressers next door to a private house).

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Apr 2018, 19:05
There is also strict demarcation, and the trade collectors will not take bags left out by householders (two 'half' bags left by the council). They split the bags to see whether it was trade rubbish and decided it wasn't (from the hairdressers next door to a private house).
Not a lot they can do about that, apparently - it's the law. Albeit a daft one, which stops councils collecting recyclable materials that would otherwise go to landfill if they count as "trade waste".

glad rag
10th Apr 2018, 20:05
Orkney Islands Council has 20,000 inhabitants and 9,500 spare wheelie bins. (https://www.orcadian.co.uk/spares-bins-cost-oic-188000/)
Here on Stronsay and most of the other Northern Isles we still use black plastic bags as there's no refuse collection vehicle to handle wheelie bins. We have been advised that we can request a wheelie bin in which to store our black plastic bags of rubbish prior to putting them out on the roadside every Tuesday when the island's haulier drives around with his lorry, collecting the full bags.

That's nothing.
Perth and Kinross council decided to do something about the amount of waste.
So they declared the old bins obsolete knocked the wheels of them to make them useless..
Then issued out new bins half the size AND cut the uptake in half.
Oh and raised council tax.
Did I mention that the council took out a LOAN for all this?
Brown bins for garden waste used to be collected, waste turned into compost free for poeple in the fair city itself.
Kept the Brown bins but decided to charge for uplift £24 first year going to £36 next year.
Oh and lashed out £56,000 with a London printer for bin stickers to day say you've spent out on what used to be included in CC.
All under a separatist administration btw.