PDA

View Full Version : Some help please-MS Outlook10

parabellum
6th Apr 2018, 22:33
OS = Windows 7 Ultimate, MS Office 10

For no obvious reason and without warning my mail programme will receive emails but won't send them. Been through about everything Google has to offer:
1.I am not working off-line.
2.The box saying I need authentication in account settings, 'Outgoing server' is ticked.
3. The Test Message function, send and receive, works normally.
4. The Outgoing server port is set to 537 to accept TLS encryption.
5. Have run the repair function from the MS Office 10 disk but no change.
6. Doesn't make any difference if there is an attachment or not.
7. After hitting 'Send', in Outlook, the mail goes to the outbox, it is in bold type but not italic, if in italic it will send. After one attempt at 'send' it reverts to normal type.

Help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

cattletruck
7th Apr 2018, 11:04
One of the most useful icons in MS-Outlook is the network connection icon on the status bar at the bottom-right of the window. If it says "Not connected" (or similar) when hovering over the icon and there is unsent e-mail in the outbox then the mail transport layer is having issues.

Has your windows password expired? Was your Domain Controller rebooted (or IP address changed)? Is your DNS working? Microsoft use all sorts of cache to make their systems appear fast, unfortunately it also can cause weird problems.

parabellum
7th Apr 2018, 12:45
Thanks Cattletruck, bit late at night now but I will investigate further tomorrow.

CaptOveur
7th Apr 2018, 13:28
Given #4, I'd ask your email provider if they have recently begun blocking the use of TLS 1.0

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/schrimsher/2016/07/08/enabling-tls-1-1-and-1-2-in-outlook-on-windows-7/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/3140245/ (https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/3140245)

Jhieminga
7th Apr 2018, 18:30
Just a thought, but have you checked that the server addresses are still correct? I've had this happen to me once. Provider had changed hands since first install and at some point (years later) they decided to drop the old server addresses, which I had never changed in my settings.

parabellum
9th Apr 2018, 03:08
Thanks to all of you, the plot thickens! By shuffling the message to go between Outbox and Drafts, eventually, after a few attempts, the message shows up in the outbox in italic format, not bold, upright type and will send, sometimes seems to work better if there is an 'unsendable' message already in the Outbox. Very hit and miss. Unable to get through to ISP Tech Support to check settings at the moment, being Monday they are very busy.

Jhieminga
10th Apr 2018, 08:46
AFAIK the difference between bold font and regular or italic is only whether a message has been 'read'. What you're doing by shuffling them between Outbox and Drafts is repeatedly attempting to let the server pick up the message. When you move the message to drafts, you're cancelling the 'send' order. When you move it back into the outbox you're telling it to send it again. It's exactly the same as opening it and hitting the 'send' button.

Ancient Observer
11th Apr 2018, 16:00
When Outlook 07 was playing up on my W7 machine, the solution seemed to be to remove my id from Outlook completely, turn off the pc, turn pc & Outlook back on and re-enter the necessary id.
The how-to for this is beyond my typing, but lots on Google.

parabellum
12th Apr 2018, 01:01
Thanks again folks. Got ability to send now provided I follow a set procedure, as follows: Make new message, hit send, go to Outbox, try send again "All Mail etc", no success, in its closed state move message to drafts, select 'send', go back to Outbox and message is in italics and goes! Am leaving a couple of obsolete messages in Drafts and Outbox as it seemed to speed up the process. Cheers.

jimjim1
12th Apr 2018, 05:18
Not sure if this is relevant since your messages get sent eventually, however - The stored credentials sometimes seem to get corrupted.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Credential Manager
Windows credentials

delete all MS Office credentials

You will need to log on to accounts again.

Above was for a Domain environment - not sure how it applies to your situation.

I was 1st line support and had no idea what was really going on.

cattletruck
12th Apr 2018, 11:13
Maybe MS-Outlook needs a re-install (which is different to a repair).

Backup all your MS-Outlook work/e-mails/settings/contacts and try to re-install MS-Outlook over the top of the existing installation. Hopefully you're e-mails/settings/etc won't be lost.

I must stress, don't assume anything and make a half decent backup before you proceed.