PDA

View Full Version : External GPS Receiver

leonard17F
6th Apr 2018, 18:26
Dear fellow PPruners,

I would like to purchase an external GPS receiver to use with an iPad (no SIM, no GPS) and with a dedicated application (possibly Maprika), as well as a backup for an iPhone 6S (which includes a GPS and a SIM card obviously)

I do NOT need an altimeter function.

The two final contestants potentially are the Bad Elf 2200 Pro or the Garmin GLO.

But I am of course open to other suggestions.

Now... I also may be potentially interested to use this GPS as well as on ...a boat (sailing yacht), as a backup GPS receiver. (The requirements are obviously somewhat different, but just in case there is a model that may used in both environments)

All your recommendations and inputs will be highly appreciated, as always.

Thanks a lot in advance !

Leo

victorpapa
6th Apr 2018, 19:22
I got the Garmin GLO for to use with ipad and Jepp FD pro app and its hit and miss. It locates the position ok on ground before take off, but across the pond or the Canadian GFA it only works 50% of the time. Think it may be the heating elements in windows that’s blocking signal. Toying with sening it back.

B2N2
6th Apr 2018, 19:37
Bad Elf Pro...;)
By miles.

ACMS
7th Apr 2018, 08:36
Never had any issues with the Garmin Glo in an A330.....works well.:ok:

Agent86
8th Apr 2018, 06:37
Go one step further and get a Garmin GDL 50 (https://buy.garmin.com/en-AU/AU/p/618688)

Gives you the position and much more. I would like to check if the position works across to JeppView or is only for Garmin Pilot ...Can anyone with a GDL50 help?

Otherwise go for the Bad Elf Pro

rjtjrt
8th Apr 2018, 07:08
Bad Epf Pro has the tiny advantage that if ipad goes down, the Bad Elf Pro has an integrated display of track and G/S.
Sort of last ditch belt and braces for those that follow the magenta line.