PDA

View Full Version : Eric Bristow dead

NutLoose
6th Apr 2018, 09:22
Only 60, no age

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/apr/05/eric-bristow-heart-attack-dead-liverpool-echo

Curious Pax
6th Apr 2018, 10:12
Sad when anyone dies young, but making triple 20 seems appropriate.

Doug E Style
6th Apr 2018, 17:19
Indeed. But he “smoked, drank and lived on curry” so hardly surprising.

Effluent Man
6th Apr 2018, 18:48
I've been watching Talking Pictures channel, British movies from fifties and sixties. Googling the actors on there a very large proportion only made 60 ish. Makes you realise how much lifespan has increased in the last fifty years. Also noticeable how many have a fag dangling from their lips.

Noah Zark.
6th Apr 2018, 23:40
noticeable how many have a fag dangling from their lips.
Indeed you are right. In films of that era, it was almost de rigueur for all the male characters to have either a cap or a trilby, and the aforementioned fag hanging out of their mouth! (Note for our American readers - 'fag' in this context is, and has been for eons, a British slang term for a cigarette.)

WingNut60
6th Apr 2018, 23:49
I've been watching Talking Pictures channel, British movies from fifties and sixties. Googling the actors on there a very large proportion only made 60 ish. Makes you realise how much lifespan has increased in the last fifty years. Also noticeable how many have a fag dangling from their lips.

And Noah.

Quite correct re life span in general.
But not sure that life span of actors has increased to the same degree.
It goes with life-style.

flash8
7th Apr 2018, 00:17
Also noticed from British films of the sixties that the guys in their late teens often look like men in their early forties... people just seemed to age much faster... possibly also they dressed quite formally might have added to the age perception.

Effluent Man
7th Apr 2018, 04:41
The appearance thing is largely pre subculture. Before the sixties young men mirrored their dads in terms of haircuts and clothing and therefore were virtually indistinguishable. I recall my mother droning on about my long hair when I was about fourteen. I found an old photograph recently of me sitting on the bonnet of my brother's mark 1 Lotus Cortina and was struck by how respectable I looked in jacket and tie. A decade later and I would have been a punk, how she would have enjoyed that !

Noah Zark.
7th Apr 2018, 10:28
WingNut,
I do recall thinking that with the seemingly 100% coverage of heads with hats in that period, a hat maker would seem to have been a suitable profession to follow, in order to remain gainfully employed.
The only drawback, of course, might have been going potty from sniffing mercury all the working day!
However, at this juncture, having contributed somewhat to considerable thread drift, I must pay my respects to the late Mr. Bristow. I never really liked his cocky attitude, etc., but he was at the top of his game, and credit where credit is due. R.I.P.

Mallan
7th Apr 2018, 12:11
They say things come in threes. Bully must be worried now.

krismiler
7th Apr 2018, 13:09
Being good at cards, snooker or darts was the sign of a misspent youth but what other sports could you play whilst drinking and smoking ?

httphttps://youtu.be/di8Vr1fzUh8
One hundred and eighty !

RIP Eric

flash8
7th Apr 2018, 20:00
During the 90's in my twenties spent a fair amount of time down the pub... snooker for the younger guys, darts for the older ones... never saw any old folk play snooker, and no teens were playing darts, the Friday/Saturday night posers would bring their own cues... and make a big show posing... ahh youth.

Saying that Eric was a big name in the eighties, even in my teens his name seemed to be everywhere, possibly the 80's were the golden era of darts (and snooker..)?

goudie
8th Apr 2018, 16:08
Snooker is still very much to the forefront regards popularity, with China getting involved, but the major channels rarely broadcast it. Pool seems to be the the game of choice for youngsters.

Was never a fan of darts but recall Eric being in the news quite often, way back. He was certainly larger then life!

Pontius Navigator
8th Apr 2018, 21:16
(Note for our American readers - 'fag' in this context is, and has been for eons, a British slang term for a cigarette.)
And the Gordon Highlanders were Gay.

Private jet
8th Apr 2018, 21:56
For the last 80 odd years, sport, be it professional or amateur, participating or spectating, has been peddled as some sort of solution to all of peoples real life problems.
"Team sports build teamwork" Nonsense.
"Participation in sports builds character" Nonsense.
"Competative sport brings people with differing views closer together" Nonsense
"Sport is healthy" Nonsense (Lots of injuries, and participants have a life expectancy no longer than the average)
It is however, a very good way for otherwise untalented professional sportspeople and those that facilitate this moronic form of showbusiness to make money. Jackels watched by Jackasses perhaps?

gruntie
9th Apr 2018, 07:48
And the Gordon Highlanders were Gay.

As my old grandmother used to say, “Never do the Gay Gordon without a condom”.

Curious Pax
9th Apr 2018, 08:43
For the last 80 odd years, sport, be it professional or amateur, participating or spectating, has been peddled as some sort of solution to all of peoples real life problems.
"Team sports build teamwork" Nonsense.
"Participation in sports builds character" Nonsense.
"Competative sport brings people with differing views closer together" Nonsense
"Sport is healthy" Nonsense (Lots of injuries, and participants have a life expectancy no longer than the average)
It is however, a very good way for otherwise untalented professional sportspeople and those that facilitate this moronic form of showbusiness to make money. Jackels watched by Jackasses perhaps?

Wow! Your school rugby team left deep scars when they humiliated you. What did they do?

Private jet
9th Apr 2018, 21:57
Wow! Your school rugby team left deep scars when they humiliated you. What did they do?

That reply, obviously designed to try and rile me says a lot more about you than it does about me. Cheerio!