PDA

View Full Version : 406Day is April 6th | Beacon ELT Awareness Day

A C R
4th Apr 2018, 18:17
#406Day18 is a Nice reminder for you all in avionic installers who deal with ELTs or Pilots who carry PLB's. April 6th 4/06/2018 = 406Day Beacon Awareness Day 406 MHz Beacons Save Lives.

406 MHz beacon technology has saved over 41,000 lives worldwide since the mid 1980’s! 406Day is a national awareness day used to spread the word on beacons and as a Supporter of Aviation Safety we ask you to use your social media platforms and e-lists to help do so. Whether you use: Facebook, Instagram, YouTube or Twitter you can keep your posts in the conversation by adding #406Day18.

To help explain how to promote 406Day would best help to understand the 4 pillars of 406Day = Education, Awareness, Celebration and Promotion.

You can choose to promote one pillar in your posts or you can use all 4!

Education - focus on current beacon owners. This is the day to remind them to check for an expired battery. Updated their registration. Make sure their beacon is properly mounted. Test their beacon. More than likely would want to use NOAA as a reference site.

Awareness – we explain how they work. In aviation in particular we can talk about the benefits of 406 MHz over just 121.5 MHz. For PLBs we can discuss how they are different then a cell phone vs a radio, for example. Explain there are no monthly or administrative fees.

Celebration – a day to celebrate the lives saved as well as the men and women who risked their lives to save you. You may want to thank your rescuers on this special day.

Promotion – encourage people to buy a PLB through emotional appeal by running photo contest. Ask your followers to post pictures with captions like “this is where my beacon frees me to go” or “this is why I have a beacon”. Ask them to use #406Day18 and maybe even come up with your own hashtag to include to track results.