PDA

View Full Version : The Island Bear Grylls Toffs v Chavs

BehindBlueEyes
5th Apr 2018, 17:57
Anyone seen the first episode of the new series?

I tried to ignore the hype but curiosity got the better of me and I watched it.

There seems to be loads of support all over social media for the minimum wage group and plenty of derogatory remarks of the higher income group. However, and I know the whole idea of the programme was to play on social stereotypes, it came across loud and clear that the ‘minimum’ group wanted to do as little as possible for maximum rewards. They had a clear sense of entitlement, wore their “working class roots” (their words) as a badge and their comments that the rich only got there by stealing from others pretty ignorant. They spent a lot of time sitting around discussing their sex lives and what a wonderful team they were but didn’t actually do anything practical and apart from being the first to ignite a fire, did nothing to contribute to the scenario.

There was some rather cutting comments from the toffs but overall, it seemed that they came out of it as generally better organised, cohesive and showing far more resilience when needed.

Time will tell as the series unfolds but based on the opening episode, it would explain why some members of society are always going to be stuck in their particular stratification.

annakm
5th Apr 2018, 18:17
Ah, the firelighting. That would be the incident when the team used cotton wool acquired from a tampon “out of Sammy’s vag.” Nice.

Jack D
5th Apr 2018, 19:15
Pure class ! must be chav heaven

vapilot2004
5th Apr 2018, 19:18
Sounds like a worthwhile view, considering the contenders.

pooped1
5th Apr 2018, 19:33
Where did they find a stolen XR2 out there?

artschool
5th Apr 2018, 19:35
Ah, the firelighting. That would be the incident when the team used cotton wool acquired from a tampon “out of Sammy’s vag.” Nice.

straight out of Lofty Wisemans sas survival handbook :ok:

radeng
6th Apr 2018, 11:32
They had a clear sense of entitlement, wore their “working class roots” (their words) as a badge

Isn't this the application of

"The Union is my Shepherd,
I shall not work,
It leadeth me beside the still factories......." and so on? (I can't remember it all)

Expatrick
6th Apr 2018, 14:36
& maketh me lie down on the job (?)

Jack D
6th Apr 2018, 17:42
And it burned with a noxious green flame which the tribe worshipped .
Forever more to be known as the sacred vag fire of Sammy the goddess of benefits !

Haraka
6th Apr 2018, 19:05
straight out of Lofty Wisemans sas survival handbook

a.k.a being advertised as "LOSTY Wiseman's " book in Madrid in the mid '80's.

Private jet
7th Apr 2018, 00:01
Anyone seen the first episode of the new series?

I tried to ignore the hype but curiosity got the better of me and I watched it.

There seems to be loads of support all over social media for the minimum wage group and plenty of derogatory remarks of the higher income group. However, and I know the whole idea of the programme was to play on social stereotypes, it came across loud and clear that the ‘minimum’ group wanted to do as little as possible for maximum rewards. They had a clear sense of entitlement, wore their “working class roots” (their words) as a badge and their comments that the rich only got there by stealing from others pretty ignorant. They spent a lot of time sitting around discussing their sex lives and what a wonderful team they were but didn’t actually do anything practical and apart from being the first to ignite a fire, did nothing to contribute to the scenario.

There was some rather cutting comments from the toffs but overall, it seemed that they came out of it as generally better organised, cohesive and showing far more resilience when needed.

Time will tell as the series unfolds but based on the opening episode, it would explain why some members of society are always going to be stuck in their particular stratification.

I'm reminded of the old wisdom " In society there are no rights or wrongs, only perspectives..."

BehindBlueEyes
10th Apr 2018, 12:19
Latest episode and no change, the Lower Socio-Economic Group continue to swim and sunbathe and moan about how hard done by they are. Their gobby leader has been replaced by a nurse, who has a lot more about her, who together with another from the group are starting to see that their fellow team members are just not pulling their weight (no irony there!) and are considering defecting to the other side. After their vitriolic cheering last week, they had to eat humble pie and ask to have some embers from the Toffs after a torrential rainstorm put out their fire.

Krystal n chips
10th Apr 2018, 13:40
Latest episode and no change, the Lower Socio-Economic Group continue to swim and sunbathe and moan about how hard done by they are. Their gobby leader has been replaced by a nurse, who has a lot more about her, who together with another from the group are starting to see that their fellow team members are just not pulling their weight (no irony there!) and are considering defecting to the other side. After their vitriolic cheering last week, they had to eat humble pie and ask to have some embers from the Toffs after a torrential rainstorm put out their fire.

Your viewing choice is quite, well, telling really reflecting as it does your other perceptions of society.

As is your emulation of a tv critic... however, are you thinking of becoming an anthropologist ( or sociologist ) by any chance and using the programme a case study within your thesis ?

Unlikely, well never in fact, to feature on my choice of viewing you will be saddened to learn.

BehindBlueEyes
10th Apr 2018, 14:08
Your viewing choice is quite, well, telling really reflecting as it does your other perceptions of society.

As is your emulation of a tv critic... however, are you thinking of becoming an anthropologist ( or sociologist ) by any chance and using the programme a case study within your thesis ?

Unlikely, well never in fact, to feature on my choice of viewing you will be saddened to learn.

Never mind, we’ll agree to disagree, but even your fav newspaper agreed with my sentiments - but couldn’t resist a side swipe at the toffs - so perhaps there’s hope for you and me yet.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/apr/08/kiss-me-first-the-island-bear-grylls-ordeal-by-innocence-cunk-britain-money-heist-reviews

And I promise I’ll try and watch a bit more University Challenge so I can become more your intellectual equal. :ok:

Pontius Navigator
10th Apr 2018, 16:56
Plenty of food on the good last night, so to speak.

B Fraser
10th Apr 2018, 17:27
And I promise I’ll try and watch a bit more University Challenge so I can become more your intellectual equal. :ok:

Try watching Only Connect and not looking at Victoria Coren's delightful assets.

I can't quite manage to ignore them either...... :E