PDA

View Full Version : Compensation

radeng
5th Apr 2018, 16:09
I have a journey to the UK from a US regional airport (DAY) via a major US airport (PHL) and onwards to LHR. The original booking was first class for both legs of the journey, which are on the same airline. I am now informed that the service (loose term!) has been changed and that there is now no first class on the DAY - PHL segment. Because it is a through booking to LHR, can anyone give me a definitive answer on what EU regulations (if any) apply regarding compensation?

S.o.S.
6th Apr 2018, 01:28
Welcome back radeng. That is an unusual question.

Buswinker
6th Apr 2018, 02:33
Quick bit of googling suggests this is DAY-PHL operated by American Eagle which presumably means the PHL-LHR segment is operated by AA? (“Same operator”).

EU261 only applies for flights into the EU if they are operated by an airline based in an EU member state (flights from the EU out are covered on all airlines)

I suspect this means that EU261 won’t help you

rog747
6th Apr 2018, 06:31
no EU compo afaik - but it is a downgrade so a fare reduction should be forthcoming and if you are an AAdvantage member ask them for some miles for the inconvenience

ExXB
6th Apr 2018, 08:39
Just because EU261 likely doesn’t apply, that doesn’t mean you are not entitled to something. First read AA’s Conditions of Contract to determine what their responsibilities are.

The magic formula of comparing the fare paid to the recalculated fare may be very little or might even be a negative amount.

Ask nicely to be compensated and you might be pleasantly surprised.

radeng
6th Apr 2018, 09:52
OK, thank you all for the info.

S.o.S. I'm retired now and make about one or maybe two trips a year. I left the flying to mrs radeng, and she retired as of last Saturday night. But they asked to her to do 30 hours spread over 3 months as a contractor. So far, bookings for her for that are two separate one week trips to Penang and two separate three day trips to Norway and two days of running an on-line training next week!

There's an interesting point on the transatlantic flights. Because American's First Class is crap compared with BA F class, one can choose a code share, book with American get American FF miles - which are far more use than the crappy BA Avios - and actually travel on BA. Thus the AA6216 from PHL to LHR is operated as BA0068. So who is the responsible operator under EU261? It is probably an IB flight as well....

I'll ask AA for the fare difference and suggest some miles would be nice - after all, I have been a 'million miler' Gold Card holder since sometime last century, so I might get away with it!

obgraham
6th Apr 2018, 18:13
This is not a new matter, and it seems to be the case for many airlines. I recently paid for "comfort plus" or whatever, on BA, Phoenix to Barcelona, via LHR. Except there is no such seat on BA's LHR-BCN flight. I'm sure pigs'll fly before I see anything in the way of compensation.

lomapaseo
7th Apr 2018, 02:16
Good question for another forum as it comes up often.

I suggest you check the fare basis in the ticket details between what you paid and what is now covered in the new flights. Class of service (seating cabin) is not always the defining point unless you were downgraded in a plane that actually has first class seats.

Mark in CA
7th Apr 2018, 19:05
There's an interesting point on the transatlantic flights. Because American's First Class is crap compared with BA F class, one can choose a code share, book with American get American FF miles - which are far more use than the crappy BA Avios - and actually travel on BA. Thus the AA6216 from PHL to LHR is operated as BA0068. So who is the responsible operator under EU261? It is probably an IB flight as well....

I suspect as the first segment of your flight is operated by AA, and you have paid AA, they are the "airline of record" for the entire trip. The codeshare aspect could be thought of as subcontracting of BA by AA. I suspect the R261 would not apply.