PDA

View Full Version : London Cranfield

Buster the Bear
5th Apr 2018, 15:38
Cranfield's Air Park has been given the go ahead by the planners (Outline Planning Permission). The plans include new aircraft hangars (5 in total), business aviation terminal, new office space, a 50 bed hotel and various upgrade works. The Air Park will be developed over two separate phases, to be fully completed by 2024.

The airfield will be known as London Cranfield.

Evanelpus
5th Apr 2018, 15:59
How far from London north (or south I suppose) will an airport stop be called London ******?

Barling Magna
5th Apr 2018, 16:03
Since you ask, London (Cranfield) is 5 miles further out from Marble Arch than London (Southend) and 8 miles further out than London (Stansted), but 8 miles closer to the capital than London (Oxford) Airport which is the current winner at 58 miles......

Of course there's really only one London Airport, London (City).

southside bobby
5th Apr 2018, 16:04
Interesting addition & will possibly lead to a redistribution of corporate traffic for North London.

Appear to be rather grand plans & with poetic licence accepted count 40+ Biz Jets of all sizes drawn on plans released of the development.

London Cranfield who would have thought it.

Would suggest helicopter transfer to London rather than limo perhaps.

Whatever happened to Marshalls corporate aircraft plans for (London) Cambridge?.

southside bobby
5th Apr 2018, 16:11
BHX occasionally release statements eyeing London commercial airlines & overspill so perhaps an answer (to how far can you go)= London BHX!....

southside bobby
5th Apr 2018, 16:15
In the end it is all about the customer perception of proximity & not I would suggest Marble Arch...

nohold
5th Apr 2018, 16:22
Oh blimey, here we go again (London or not)

southside bobby
5th Apr 2018, 16:50
Ooooops...another "discussion" & topic shut down.:E

HZ123
5th Apr 2018, 18:12
Well if they get in quick they can equip the terminal with all the worn out kit on sale from Terminal 1 which is in London!

Musket90
5th Apr 2018, 18:14
I think to some extent the re-distribution of corporate traffic will be as a result of airports like Luton and Stansted being constrained by both parking space and runway slot availability where commercial airline growth is perhaps the priority

Startledgrapefruit
5th Apr 2018, 18:44
Ok getting this one out of my system ,............
LONDONDERRY !!!!

pabely
5th Apr 2018, 19:27
I hope it does well, with a good number of corporations based near MK and the upcoming Oxford to Cambridge development corridor coming on-line over 15 years, I can see this being a winner.

LTNman
5th Apr 2018, 20:49
They will have to do something about their operating times. 8:00 to 18:30 Monday to Friday and 9:00 to 18:00 at weekends and bank holidays is too restrictive.

ChocksAwayChaps
5th Apr 2018, 21:08
London (International) Ontario
:}

ECR
6th Apr 2018, 00:32
Many years ago in the travel adverts section of I think a Sunday newspaper, I did see an advert for flights from overseas to "London (Prestwick)".

Buster the Bear
6th Apr 2018, 02:54
Exec jets are already positioning into London Cranfield from London Luton for parking, as the latter reduces availability of stands to biz jets, so favouring airlines. This will only increase over the next months and years. Logically Harrods and Signature will have facilities at Cranfield within the re-development?

LTNman
6th Apr 2018, 06:08
Hatfield was building up its exec jet business before the airport was shut down. It would have made a good location for the Luton overflow or might have even taken much traffic away that could still land at Luton as the airport of choice.

ShyTorque
6th Apr 2018, 08:05
Shame about London Croydon...

compton3bravo
6th Apr 2018, 08:27
Or even London MANSTON!
Lived near Cranfield some years ago and the 'locals' were not very happy about the noise then. I suppose they could rename it London Milton Keynes - no perhaps not!

dc9-32
6th Apr 2018, 08:36
Cranfield need to lower their prices too !

TCAS FAN
6th Apr 2018, 09:41
We can always hope for a return of London Blackbushe?

Heathrow Harry
6th Apr 2018, 18:07
It's never gone away of course... quite a busy place

facillities are bit rough - you don't seem to be able to buy a Gucci handbag nor drink yourself legless at 07:00 - appalling really

but the cafe is good, cheap and friendly and it's all of 30 yards from the main road to the bottom of the boarding steps........

Max Angle
6th Apr 2018, 21:42
How long before they also want a huge chunk of class D for their rich clients?

Fairdealfrank
7th Apr 2018, 00:07
Since you ask, London (Cranfield) is 5 miles further out from Marble Arch than London (Southend) and 8 miles further out than London (Stansted), but 8 miles closer to the capital than London (Oxford) Airport which is the current winner at 58 miles......

Of course there's really only one London Airport, London (City).

Didn't FR rename BOH "London West" years ago? The winner by a mile. It's 100 mi. or so from London.

Isn't there London-Lydd as well?

canberra97
7th Apr 2018, 00:41
Ryanair have never ever used the term ''London West'' for BOH and do forgive me but I will say it again NEVER!

Lydd International Airport is also known as London Ashford Airport as ridiculous as that sounds.

pppdrive
7th Apr 2018, 02:30
Canberra97, Lympne Airport (Ashford) was known as London in the grass strip days. Skyways had International 748 flights there before it closed and operations transferred to Lydd.

El Bunto
7th Apr 2018, 06:56
Ok getting this one out of my system ,............
LONDONDERRY !!!!

Hey now, at least they were officially granted the 'London' prefix by a King, not a marketing department.

Many years ago in the travel adverts section of I think a Sunday newspaper, I did see an advert for flights from overseas to "London (Prestwick)".

Reminds me of the stories of the wartime ferry crews who found themselves in Prestwick and decided to do a 'day-trip' to London. A few of them did manage it in a day!

Wycombe
7th Apr 2018, 09:23
We can always hope for a return of London Blackbushe?

You never know, there are big plans https://www.blackbusheairport.co.uk/vision/ proposed, but the one it really needs (a few hundred metres of reclaimed tarmac) is not part of them.

The plans do hinge upon the de-registration of Common Land, which may happen in early 2019.

Stampe
7th Apr 2018, 10:14
Lydd works well if you know how! Aircraft to taxi via customs in about two minutes then a very reliable twenty minute journey to Ashford station where HS1 train will deliver you to St Pancras station in London in just 35 minutes.Given the lack of hassle both bureaucratic and ATC plus very low costs it’s a real gem for the London market.I base my light aircraft there in spite of living only 30 miles east of London.An excellent facility that deserves much more traffic than it presently gets.Regards Stampe

canberra97
7th Apr 2018, 22:00
Canberra97, Lympne Airport (Ashford) was known as London in the grass strip days. Skyways had International 748 flights there before it closed and operations transferred to Lydd.

I was referring to the fact that Lydd Airport now officially advertises itself as ''Lydd Ashford Airport''.

As I'm sure your aware Skyways and later on Dan-Air Skyways operated a London to Paris service upto October 1974 with HS748.

The routing was London Victoria Coach Station with a coach to Lympne Airport to connect with the aircraft, a quick flight to Beauvais to connect with another coach to take the passengers into central Paris.

Lympne Airport was never advertised as a London Airport in it's entire history, I think your getting confused with the above information as in the Skyways London to Paris connection.

LTNman
21st Sep 2023, 17:45
I saw just one business jet at the airfield but counted 11 BAE146’s /RJ’s at Cranfield today. Why so many?

https://i.imgur.com/m2msPK0.jpg

Also spotted the Cranfield University 737 used for evacuation trials.

https://i.imgur.com/kPkNJAF.jpg

pabely
21st Sep 2023, 21:26
I saw just one business jet at the airfield but counted 11 BAE146’s /RJ’s at Cranfield today. Why so many?

https://i.imgur.com/m2msPK0.jpg

Also spotted the Cranfield University 737 used for evacuation trials.

https://i.imgur.com/kPkNJAF.jpg
Very cheap parking and on-site engineering support from FAAM Airbourne Laboratory facilities I would suspect.

Buster the Bear
22nd Sep 2023, 19:28
Avolon Aero are based at Cranfield. They do heavy maintenance and support for 146/RJs.