PDA

View Full Version : Australian Geography

ORAC
5th Apr 2018, 06:34
England is mistaken for the Gambia (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/commonwealth-games-england-is-mistaken-for-the-gambia-gf0bxwmtw)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/imageserver/image/methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F6a5de0bc-3850-11e8-b5b4-b935584040f4.jpg?crop=1500%2C844%2C0%2C78&resize=2400

England has been listed as an African nation in the official programme for the Gold Coast Commonwealth Games......

According to the programme, England’s capital is Banjul and the country’s population is just over two million. Banjul is the capital of the Gambia in west Africa, and the population of England is more than 54 million. It also says England’s first appearance at the Commonwealth Games was in 1970 — by that time the nation had competed in all eight previous Games.

Mark Peters, the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games Corporation chief executive admitted that “sometimes you make mistakes. We spoke to England and said, ‘We’re prepared to pulp and start again’.

“They were absolutely emphatic that they’re so pleased to be here and [with] everything else that has been organised, and they implored us not to do that. We’re actually doing a special reprint of 500 to give to the English and the Commonwealth Games Federation to make sure, in terms of the records, that it is done correctly.”

“I guess [the programmes] are going to be so valuable after the Games because of that mistake.”

vapilot2004
5th Apr 2018, 07:01
Crikey! I was hoping for an interesting discussion of the uniqueness of the land forms and underlying strata of Dununda. :)

On subject, perhaps Brexit came a bit too late for England. :p

Hat, coat, headed for the door...

DaveReidUK
5th Apr 2018, 07:32
Great comment at the end of the Times article:
"Possibly confused by economic forecasts for post-brexit"

sitigeltfel
5th Apr 2018, 07:33
England has been listed as an African nation.

I was in London a few weeks ago and can well believe it.

Ken Borough
5th Apr 2018, 07:48
The sun does some strange things to people in Queensland! Not all Ozmates are so stupid, just as many aren't cheats. :}

UniFoxOs
5th Apr 2018, 08:26
On subject, perhaps Brexit

For remainers anything is on subject apparently

Pontius Navigator
5th Apr 2018, 08:30

Beat me to it

Krystal n chips
5th Apr 2018, 08:37

Siti old boy !

When tha graced the shores of dear old Blighty, alas, that seems to have missed the fact London, glorified and over priced dump that it is, is also a multi national and cultural centre attracting people from, erm, across the globe............. not all of whom have a pristine white skin pigmentation you may be aghast to learn !

Traffic_Is_Er_Was
5th Apr 2018, 10:34
I knew it was a mistake! Gambia has had magical moments much more recently than 1954!

TWT
5th Apr 2018, 11:17
Which just proves what I've noticed a lot over the years.

1) Many documents released to the public aren't proof read
2) Many documents aren't proof read by people that are capable of spotting mistakes

Online news stories are full of mistakes too.

Takan Inchovit
5th Apr 2018, 11:20
Well, Engerland now being part of Africa, will surely boost its medal tally.

B Fraser
5th Apr 2018, 12:32
It used to be ours so it's an easy mistake to make.

Lonewolf_50
5th Apr 2018, 13:06
England ~ Gambia

Does this mean that the UK can now offer foreign aid to England, on the basis that it is a third world country? I think we should be told. :cool:

cattletruck
5th Apr 2018, 13:10
The opening ceremony seemed to be one big QANTAS commercial :yuk:

It used to be ours so it's an easy mistake to make.

Thus with respect to the Queensland vernacular of

"Ya shoulda been here yesterday."

the error is completely justified.

Ancient Observer
5th Apr 2018, 14:37
Couldn't they use sand paper to rub out the error?

They appear to have plenty of sand paper.

Fairdealfrank
5th Apr 2018, 21:43
Which just proves what I've noticed a lot over the years.

2) Many documents aren't proof read by people that are capable of spotting mistakes

Online news stories are full of mistakes too.

Known as "sloppy journalism" and it's rife

Impress to inflate
6th Apr 2018, 12:24
Has anyone shown Betty ? Heads will role you know.

Super VC-10
6th Apr 2018, 16:44
They seem to have moved the Gold Coast from Africa to Australia, so why be surprised at that one?

reynoldsno1
7th Apr 2018, 01:46
Has anyone shown Betty ? Heads will role you know.
QED

parabellum
8th Apr 2018, 08:20
They seem to have moved the Gold Coast from Africa to Australia,

Very true, the real Gold Coast actually incorporates the coast of Ghana and has done for over 100 years.

DaveReidUK
8th Apr 2018, 08:51
Very true, the real Gold Coast actually incorporates the coast of Ghana and has done for over 100 years.

And of course prior to independence that's what the colony was known as.

http://kayatana.com/images/categories/GCO1948-136-s1-0.15-MM.jpg