PDA

View Full Version : A320 ENG SHUTDOWN & HYD

Note1829
3rd Apr 2018, 09:43
Does anybody have any reference about when we shutdown both engines and for how long the hydraulic systems will continue to operate?

mcdhu
3rd Apr 2018, 13:45
Good question!
If we have the APU running and the YLO Elec Pump ON, the all is sweetness and light (hydraulically).
However, I assume you were wondering how long a windmilling engine will produce hydraulic power provided of course the Fire Pbs have not been activated.
On reducing IAS for a SE approach with one engine shutdown (Fire Pb not pressed) the PTU will begin to take over hydraulic duties around GD speed.
I’m sure others will chip in too with their experiences in the sim.
Cheers
mcdhu

Highway1
3rd Apr 2018, 13:52
I’m sure others will chip in too with their experiences in the sim.

ouch! ;);)

RUMBEAR
3rd Apr 2018, 22:38
No reference just observation in the simulator. HYD pressure is sufficient to prevent a Pump Low HYD Px ECAM with the engine windmilling if the speed is maintained around 240-250 kts.

OPEN DES
3rd Apr 2018, 23:03
Around 5% N2 windmilling is enough for the EDP’s to stay running. As mcdhu posted you will lose that windmilling at about green dot. Expect the PTU to start kicking in intermittently with transient ECAM cautions.

FlightDetent
3rd Apr 2018, 23:18
7% N1 on CFM engines will keep the HYD pressure in green font. Is that what's being asked?

OPEN DES
3rd Apr 2018, 23:52
The EDP’s run of the N2 accessory box. Could be 7% N1, but N2 would be a better measure perhaps.

Escape Path
4th Apr 2018, 04:34
From FCTM "landing with abnormal landing gear":

Considering a realistic hydraulic demand, the hydraulic power remains available up to approximately 30 s after the shut down of the related engine.

As a reverse-engineering method to check how much N2 do you need to get hydraulic pressure, as setting the parking brake after pushback will deplete some pressure from the accumulator, if you don't recharge the accumulator and start No2 keep an eye on the triple indicator, notice when it moves up and then check N2. Now you will know. If I'm not mistaken, N2 above 10-ish will give pressure

Note1829
4th Apr 2018, 05:12
👍👍😃 Thanks for all input guys....VERY VERY helpful