PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Advertising in Poor Taste

peanut pusher
23rd Jul 2002, 05:10
Anybody read the poor taste attack on John Travolta last weekend by Virgin Blue. Many pax commented on this during the week. One pax said "John Travolta will always be cool while a skinny white pommy pervert that can't keep his hands to himself is pathetic most times he appears in public". I could't believe what a large backlash people were giving it during the week.
Many business people who travel in J/C refuse to associate there company with cheap shots like Virgin keep putting out.
Any other points of view or cooments would be appreciated.

ditzyboy
23rd Jul 2002, 06:35
They have been whinging about that one in the D and G forum for a while now...

I think that the main text of the ad was quite clever about John being a better actor than they thought. That was cute. So was the bit about supporting the airline that supports Australians. And for that matter the bit about all of their pax being VIPs was cute. A stretch but cute all the same.

In my opinion it was all ruined with that comment about ageing actors and old planes. Just tacky. That's just my opinion.

The DJ baggage test units are also funny I think. They say things like "Size Matters" and "Bring all the emotional baggage you want. As long as it fits in here." That is clever and suits Virgin's philosophy and clientele well.

And the "Better Be Click" web sale adverts were funny too.

Didn't like the TV ads about Virgin service being everywhere though. Toilet one was a bit suss.

There are some good ads. And a few I think are bad but it is getting the name out nevertheless. By display far out adverts Virgin is trying to get you to remember their brand/name. The fact you started this thread is proof that it works.