PDA

View Full Version : ****J1 Visa Requirements****

marpoo
23rd Jul 2002, 02:08
hi all,
could someone (perhaps folks already on a J1, or not) please give info regarding the J1 visa program. i wish to go to the states with an aussie PPL and go the instructor route. as of late, with the FAA putting a hold on this and that, i'm not sure if i can do this anymore. any info on what the requirements are and what hours we can 'work' per month, i sure would appreciate.

matt

The Greaser
23rd Jul 2002, 08:17
You can apply for a J-1 as long as you do not hold any professional pilot qualifications.

I suggest contacting flight schools who do the J-1 and speak to them. They will need to send you the relevant IAP-66 forms before you apply for the visa.

The J-1 is valid for 2 years and there is no maximum amount of hours you can work as a flight instructor during that period.

They may place a 2 year residency restriction on the visa which says that for 2 years after the expiry you cannot re enter the US. This would be unusual though.

Good Luck.

There are many schools which are in the J-1 program.

After spending 2 years over there, I returned to the UK with 1500 hours/500 multi. I would seriously consider it.

Baldie Man
23rd Jul 2002, 10:35
My FTO has applied for a VISA for me to go to the States and get my FAA PPL and hours building. Thing is I have passed some of the ATPL's via the integrated route (at another FTO) so does this mean I will have problems getting permission from the US Embassy?

Any ideas?

BM.

Gin Slinger
23rd Jul 2002, 11:04
Baldie: I have been told by an FAA school offering J-1's that the rules are that you can't have a CPL or more than 50 hours logged subsequent to your PPL.

Apparently ATPL exams aren't taken into consideration.

Caveat: this information was given to me by a somewhat pushy US salesman (aren't they all?) - probably worth checking it isn't duff gen.

Baldie Man
23rd Jul 2002, 11:26
Cheers for laying my fears to rest Gin Slinger.

Taa muchly,

BM.

reynoldsno1
25th Jul 2002, 01:14
If you are planning to spend any length of time in the US, have a family with you and buy a property, be very careful about going the J-1 visa route.

The J-1 visa was originally devised to allow 'third world' teachers/professors to benefit from the experience of working within the US academic environment for a limited time and with no extensions. It is particularly useful for US teaching & training establishments as it can be arranged and approved very quickly (they do it themselves). However....

You will be taxed as 'married, filing separately' no matter what your marital status - the highest rate going. You will not be entitled to claim for any dependants on your federal return, you will not be entitled to any tax credits on mortgages or property taxes at federal or state level. This can add up to mucho dollero...

Your proper visa i.e. work permit, should be an H visa, but these take much, much longer to approve, if at all.

If you do get a J visa, make sure it has a waiver to allow for a renewal.